Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226511 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #3045 on: December 11, 2023, 10:12:47 AM »
Burning Shed is BS
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3046 on: December 11, 2023, 01:28:34 PM »
My order arrived and I will be picking it up tomorrow! Looking forward to watching the bluray.

I gave the streaming version a listen and liked what I heard. I also think the clips of Fear of a Blank Planet and I Drive the Hearse look great.

I Drive the Hearse:
https://youtu.be/aH_UjBF2-8s?si=5TasWLELvgKIoiqP

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3047 on: December 11, 2023, 01:43:02 PM »
I too got the 4 disc CD/BD set. Looks good. I too heard the streaming version of the album and quite enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching the concert. Kinda wish I had an Atmos setup at home. I didn't know the 2nd BD was audio of the show in high resolution. Stereo mix should be fun.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #3048 on: December 12, 2023, 07:58:37 AM »
BS shipping IS expensive in the uk. Especially when compared with Amazon.
They charge per item, so nothing to be gained by ordering a few things together. Makes them an expensive proposition. Slightly cheaper than the PT official site.

BS do package things nicely though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3049 on: December 12, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
I listened to the streaming version yesterday, and thought it was excellent.  I will try to get the Blu-ray.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3050 on: December 12, 2023, 11:54:13 AM »
BS shipping IS expensive in the uk. Especially when compared with Amazon.
They charge per item, so nothing to be gained by ordering a few things together. Makes them an expensive proposition. Slightly cheaper than the PT official site.

BS do package things nicely though.

Comparing a small indie business to Amazon is not realistic.
Amazon shipping is not real world prices, BS shipping is by weight. and obviously can't afford to take the hit by offering buy more pay less for freight.
A perfect example is, buying a CD from Amazon UK shipping to AU for a triple CD is 2.50UKP, real world price for shipping a single CD to AU is 7.50UKP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3051 on: December 12, 2023, 12:44:06 PM »
Amazon has some copies of the BR/DVD as of right now (I just ordered one). It was out of stock yesterday.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3052 on: December 12, 2023, 12:49:01 PM »
Oh my fucking god, I went to pick up my package, which is the entire thing with signed art and all, and all I got was an empty locker. I am both incredibly sad and angry. DHL Netherlands are so damn bad and incompetent, this will be the fifth time I am calling them for issues in a short time. But unlike the other things, this one stings very hard. Honestly I also am having a very rough time personally due death and disease in my family and this would've been a nice distraction, but I got nothing for my very expensive order.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3053 on: December 12, 2023, 01:43:10 PM »
The sound is really good, just listening to the stereo mix so far. Video is great too. It is interesting the aspect ratio they picked for the video to be super ultrawide but won't fill my ultrawide monitor. I'll have to rip it and reencode the video at a different resolution.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: December 12, 2023, 02:09:55 PM »
Oh my fucking god, I went to pick up my package, which is the entire thing with signed art and all, and all I got was an empty locker. I am both incredibly sad and angry. DHL Netherlands are so damn bad and incompetent, this will be the fifth time I am calling them for issues in a short time. But unlike the other things, this one stings very hard. Honestly I also am having a very rough time personally due death and disease in my family and this would've been a nice distraction, but I got nothing for my very expensive order.

Damn, sorry to for your loss and what your family is going through.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: December 12, 2023, 11:51:19 PM »

Yes, I echo that. I hope things pick up for you soon, ErHaO.

faizoff, you mentioned wishing you had an Atmos setup. I've got one, 5.1.4, and I don't think the Atmos mix is all that. Sorry, Steven, I know this is heretical. I also think the crowd could have been mixed a little louder, certainly between songs, and some of the fades after and before songs are frustrating for my personal taste. It's like the oddly jarring edit in the solo Albert Hall show. He shouts "enthusiasm!" from outta nowhere between songs but if you were there on the night, you'd know that was the last word from a 20/30 second speech, and hearing it isolation just sounds oddly weird. All in the eye of the beholder, of course, but just leave all that shit in, please.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3056 on: December 13, 2023, 04:26:33 AM »

So sorry to hear that, hope its all sorted out.

faizoff, you mentioned wishing you had an Atmos setup. I've got one, 5.1.4, and I don't think the Atmos mix is all that. Sorry, Steven, I know this is heretical. I also think the crowd could have been mixed a little louder, certainly between songs, and some of the fades after and before songs are frustrating for my personal taste. It's like the oddly jarring edit in the solo Albert Hall show. He shouts "enthusiasm!" from outta nowhere between songs but if you were there on the night, you'd know that was the last word from a 20/30 second speech, and hearing it isolation just sounds oddly weird. All in the eye of the beholder, of course, but just leave all that shit in, please.

Going to have to re-listen to Albert hall, don't remember that part. I'm assuming the Atmos setup is like a regular TV plus receiver and speakers setup. I wanted to setup one for my PC which is where I do a majority of my viewing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: December 13, 2023, 06:04:34 AM »
Yeah, so mine is a 5.1 AV receiver based set-up. And I've got four height speakers, two in front of the seating position, two behind. They're just below the ceiling although sadly not IN the ceiling. I think The Harmony Codex sounds pretty good in this Atmos set-up although perhaps not as revolutionary as some claim. But this live show definitely could have been a bit more involved and involving. This isn't to say the sound isn't good - of course it is!

Regarding the shout of "enthusiasm!", it happens at the start of Home Invasion. It doesn't make sense in terms of a simple introducing of the song, but it did in the context of the big speech they cut before the song's actual introduction that's still present. It's not gonna cause the downfall of western civilisation but yeah... just makes me cringe a bit :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 06:10:28 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3058 on: December 13, 2023, 07:10:10 AM »
Can't believe I didn't even notice the "Enthusiasm!" part before lol. It does sound so out of place.

I will have to figure out how I can hook up a receiver to my PC and have a seamless playback experience.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3059 on: December 13, 2023, 07:27:14 AM »
A couple tracks from the release have come up on my Amazon soundtrack feature, Anesthetize being one of them, and Gavin's drums sound incredible. The guy is on another level, up there among the elites of all time.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: December 13, 2023, 11:03:50 AM »
Can't believe I didn't even notice the "Enthusiasm!" part before lol. It does sound so out of place.

Right?! Sorry... you'll hear it every time now :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3061 on: December 14, 2023, 09:15:51 AM »
After hours of chat and calling spread over two days, it seems DHL managed to find my package and I will get in in a week, so hopefully I'll get it!

The audio version has seen some rotation this week and I am enjoying it a lot. It is more guitar and drum centric than previous releases, but the guitars and drums do sound really good and I can't complain given the drummer. Also less vocal effects and less prominent keys than past live releases after doing some comparisons.

Yes, I echo that. I hope things pick up for you soon, ErHaO.

So sorry to hear that, hope its all sorted out.

Thanks, I usually do internet activity as a distraction/entertainment, so don't go into personal life often, but times are rough.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3062 on: December 15, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
I got my C/C Live 2CD/2BD set in the mail yesterday. There was a frightening rattle within the packaging, and upon opening the box set, I found that two of the discs (one in each gatefold) had slipped out of their die-cut pockets. Thankfully they looked OK, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the CDs or watch the BDs yet. Speaking of the gatefolds, they're very  nice and extravagant, as is the vinyl-sized photobook that is included, but that's the only reason this set is so big. otherwise, 2CDs/2BDs could've fit in a more economically sized package. As it is, I have PLENTY of over-sized SW-related deluxe sets, so I'm not sure how many more I'll be getting due to space, but I really wanted this one because it included the CDs.

I am off work this weekend, thankfully, so if I'm up for it, I might pop in the BDs and watch the concert. I haven't sat down and put on a new/recently released live concert video in quite some time, so this seems like a good one to go with!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3063 on: December 15, 2023, 05:39:45 PM »
I got them today! With the signed print. Both the vinyl and BR+CD set are way bigger than I thought. For some reason I was expecting an earbook/artbook for the bluray set, but it's definitely not that.

I checked out the Bluray and the video and sound are fantastic!

I got my C/C Live 2CD/2BD set in the mail yesterday. There was a frightening rattle within the packaging, and upon opening the box set, I found that two of the discs (one in each gatefold) had slipped out of their die-cut pockets. Thankfully they looked OK, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the CDs or watch the BDs yet. Speaking of the gatefolds, they're very  nice and extravagant, as is the vinyl-sized photobook that is included, but that's the only reason this set is so big. otherwise, 2CDs/2BDs could've fit in a more economically sized package. As it is, I have PLENTY of over-sized SW-related deluxe sets, so I'm not sure how many more I'll be getting due to space, but I really wanted this one because it included the CDs.

I am off work this weekend, thankfully, so if I'm up for it, I might pop in the BDs and watch the concert. I haven't sat down and put on a new/recently released live concert video in quite some time, so this seems like a good one to go with!

-Marc.

Same, discs loose. Unfortunately one of my CDs did scratch quite obviously, I will be mailing their customer service. Not really acceptable for the price. Bluray was also loose, but those discs don't scratch easily.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: December 15, 2023, 09:41:56 PM »
Had a similiar issue to the pair of you. Both CDs contain just a light scuff which was enough on both of them to cause issues ripping the final tracks on both. Pretty poor, really.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3065 on: December 15, 2023, 10:14:28 PM »
Same here, had the 2nd Bluray disc loose. The last track on the 2nd CD didn't rip correctly either. Otherwise all is good.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3066 on: December 24, 2023, 01:23:05 PM »
Well, it looks like the big packages are getting a wide release now. Laser CD has them up for preorder with a street date of 2/23/24. Still pricey for those of us in the US.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/closurecontinuation-live-2cd2br-deluxe-edition-preorder

https://www.lasercd.com/vinyl/closurecontinuation-live-4lp-clear-vinyl-preorder
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3067 on: December 24, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »
Well, it looks like the big packages are getting a wide release now. Laser CD has them up for preorder with a street date of 2/23/24. Still pricey for those of us in the US.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/closurecontinuation-live-2cd2br-deluxe-edition-preorder

https://www.lasercd.com/vinyl/closurecontinuation-live-4lp-clear-vinyl-preorder

$80 for the deluxe set? Yikes... still more than what I paid from Burning Shed even after shipping, but I guess Laser CD has to make some money somehow. At least more folks are able to get it now!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3068 on: December 25, 2023, 07:27:25 AM »
Something is better than nothing I suppose. I just checked and I paid 75 USD total with shipping from burning shed.