Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226607 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2905 on: January 03, 2023, 04:27:59 PM »
I would say that while I enjoyed Closure/Continuation I can definitely see why SW has largely moved on. It didn't really feel like they were breaking any new ground with the album, compared to his solo albums which had quite a lot of stylistic variety.

I agree with this. I felt C/C was the...correction point for PT. I know The Incident is polarizing. I am on the side that doesn't really care for it. I felt C/C sounded way more like the PT I remember. And while it didn't break any new ground, it was a solid record that I still enjoy. And if it is their last as a unit, I'm good with it (as opposed to how I felt about The Incident). I think it has been pretty clear over the last decade that SW is all about SW. He has his music, and he wants to present his music his way. I get it. I honestly do. It's not really for me, I think he's better collaborating with people. But if he doesn't need other people in order to create and tour, why would he in an environment where finances are shaky?

Sure, the PT probably raked in cash (despite expenses). And probably more than what SW would have brought in as a solo act. Then again, as a solo act, with just hired guns as his band, his percentage of things is likely much higher, since he's no doubt just paying the band. Whereas in PT, three guys likely get a bigger cut, and they pay two others and the crew.

Whenever I see things like this, I always follow the money and the ego. Does SW need PT to have an artistically successful and financially viable career? No. Is it probably cheaper to tour as a solo artist (aka is SW's net gain from touring bigger as a solo artist)? Not sure, but likely close enough. Therein lies the answer.

Back when PT was doing Deadwing and FoaBP, SW needed PT's name as it got bigger and bigger (they played The Warfield in San Fran, which is 2,800 capacity, on The Incident tour). But after all that work as a solo artist, while the rooms he plays are smaller, he's probably a lot happier being a solo artist with ZERO compromise.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2906 on: January 04, 2023, 11:14:44 AM »
An electronic PT album with no touring for it?  Huh.  OK. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2907 on: January 04, 2023, 01:32:08 PM »
I'll put it this way: I enjoyed the tour more than the album. If he wants to do more live shows with PT I'm all for that. If he wants to make more albums, I hope they evolve their sound a bit more but it's hard to see that happening if it remains a side project where albums take years to complete.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2908 on: January 04, 2023, 01:48:44 PM »
I'll put it this way: I enjoyed the tour more than the album. If he wants to do more live shows with PT I'm all for that. If he wants to make more albums, I hope they evolve their sound a bit more but it's hard to see that happening if it remains a side project where albums take years to complete.

That's pretty much why they disbanded in the first place though? They took their sound as far as they could and the different personal music tastes of the members meant SW couldn't push in new directions like he wanted.

Personally I thought C/C was great in the sense that it was a better final album than The Incident and even though it felt familiar, it still had some new ideas there IMO. Felt like a nice closure album though, with bits and moments from their sound throughout the years. It also changed the buzz around SW from something negative with how The Future Bites was received among fans and the PT reunion got people more hyped again. I would be very surprised if PT comes back after this, at least with new music. Maybe they do some more shows in 10 years or something but SW will definitely focus on his solo stuff now.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2909 on: January 04, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »
Since it's happened once now, I think the possibility of at least one more PT album sometime in the future is more likely now than it was 5-10 years ago when I had fully accepted that there wouldn't be any.

But yeah, probably not for a while.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2910 on: January 06, 2023, 08:10:07 PM »
Ken finally has the Deadwing Deluxe up on Laser CD. $94 with shipping for those of us in the US. Amazon wants $114 as of now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline emtee

« Reply #2911 on: February 08, 2023, 12:13:42 PM »
Everything that I love about PT is contained within Chimera's Wreck. What a song!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2912 on: February 16, 2023, 10:23:35 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 10:32:00 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2913 on: February 16, 2023, 10:31:59 AM »
Yes I did send Orchidia, a Porcupine Tree instrumental, in TAC's roulette, which is definitely this thread. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2914 on: February 16, 2023, 10:34:02 AM »
see my comments in TAC's roulette.

You commented as I was fixing/deleting

:facepalm:   :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2915 on: February 27, 2023, 11:55:17 AM »
Got my shipping notice for the Deadwing deluxe. Should hopefully have it by the end of the week.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2916 on: February 27, 2023, 12:55:06 PM »
Got my shipping notice for the Deadwing deluxe. Should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Got my notice from Burning Shed today as well. With the way UK shipping has been this year so far, I don't expect mine to arrive for at least 2 weeks, but I'm patient.

What are the odds of Steven doing a fancy artbook re-release for FOABP? There's plenty of music he could include, like an official release of "Always Recurring/What Happens Now?". Having IA/DW/FOABP in fancy artbooks would be a nice mini-collection, though I wouldn't mind seeing him going back and giving Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun similar treatments, and putting the appropriate B-Sides (from Recordings) in their respective albums. That run of SD-FOABP has to be one of my favorite five-album runs of any band I love.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: March 01, 2023, 03:22:40 PM »

Me too. Says Monday for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2918 on: March 01, 2023, 09:44:23 PM »
Looks like mine will be arriving tomorrow. Very nice!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2919 on: March 02, 2023, 12:09:16 PM »
My copy arrived this morning and it is a nice one. Tons of detailed interviews and such inside. I always write off demos as wasted space but I briefly checked out the demos disc and these are high quality. This is Devin Townsend level demos where they sound pretty professional and polished. I'll have to dig in deeper later but very happy with this set.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: March 02, 2023, 12:16:49 PM »
My copy arrived this morning and it is a nice one. Tons of detailed interviews and such inside. I always write off demos as wasted space but I briefly checked out the demos disc and these are high quality. This is Devin Townsend level demos where they sound pretty professional and polished. I'll have to dig in deeper later but very happy with this set.

Good to know. Thanks. Looks like my last tracking update was a dispatch from Northampton on 2/28. So my guess is, it made it across the pond and it's in the air for delivery on the left coast on Monday-ish. There was no further tracking info from Royal Mail, so who knows.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2921 on: March 03, 2023, 10:36:37 AM »
Northampton? Wonder how it ended up in Northampton on its journey from Norwich? How strange the world is. Would have thought it'd have gone from Norwich to Stansted airport then out on a parcel flight. I don't think there's a major hub of any distribution company in Northampton. Although might be winging its way to you from Birmingham or East Midlands airport.

Anyway, sorry... I just find this things interesting. Doubly so in this case since I lived in Northampton until recently.

Normal programming now resumes!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2922 on: March 03, 2023, 07:20:18 PM »
Watching the Rockpalast show from the BD. Sound is excellent. This makes a great bonus to the package. Awesome set!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: March 04, 2023, 02:37:01 PM »
The demos are fascinating. Nicely different. And they sound fabulous despite the fact they're 'only' demos.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2924 on: June 07, 2023, 11:21:08 AM »
"30 years ago today my second album under the name Porcupine Tree “Up the Downstair” was released. It was the first time I really attempted to make a proper album under the name, and to do something that combined both old and new sounds. The title track especially drew on the ambient house of bands like The Orb and Future Sound of London. It picked up some rave reviews in the UK music press, and became the springboard from which I put the first band version of PT together later that year, so was a real watershed record for me and remains my favourite of the pre-band era. But where the hell did 30 years go?!" - Steven Wilson

Happy 30th bday to UTD!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2925 on: June 07, 2023, 11:49:52 AM »
“You’re 30 years older, and you’ll always be now…

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2926 on: June 18, 2023, 09:40:42 AM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2927 on: June 18, 2023, 10:12:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtPm_kFtJ0Q

why not just post the interview :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2928 on: June 18, 2023, 11:09:21 AM »
That's funny that Wilson just admitted that he lies in interviews, but I get why, as it has to be frustrating to be promoting a new solo album and then get asked about Porcupine Tree.  Saying, "there is zero chance," heads it off at the pass and gets the convo to move on.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2929 on: June 18, 2023, 11:27:14 AM »
Totally and I can't blame him for that. Imagine him promoting a new album and people questioning about PT all the time. Really annoying.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2930 on: June 18, 2023, 01:03:52 PM »
He also changes his mind about things constantly. :P

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2931 on: June 18, 2023, 02:01:16 PM »
We all change our minds and lie, SW is no different to you or me.
The future of PT depends on SW solo career, if he has another flop like TFB, then PT will no doubt make another album ;D

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2932 on: June 18, 2023, 04:26:21 PM »
Everything that I love about PT is contained within Chimera's Wreck. What a song!

Yes. At the concert in Amsterdam which was recorded for the blu-ray it was transcendental. It was already a favorite of mine but it caught me off guard that it was the absolute highlight of the show. I’ve been enjoying live music for years and I’m not as easily impressed as when I was young, but I really felt that magic again. My friends were just as blown away by that track and we went into the intermission completely mesmerized.

In my eyes Chimera’s Wreck is Arriving Somewhere But Not Here Pt. 2. Not in lyrics maybe but in tone.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2933 on: June 20, 2023, 07:59:58 AM »
Definitely a highlight of the shows I saw in NY and Philly as well. I can't wait for that live release.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2934 on: June 20, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »
We all change our minds and lie, SW is no different to you or me.
The future of PT depends on SW solo career, if he has another flop like TFB, then PT will no doubt make another album ;D
I second this!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2935 on: June 22, 2023, 07:50:53 AM »
Setlist from Germany a couple days ago. A couple new additions to the set.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/2023/kunstrasen-bonn-bonn-germany-6ba60ac2.html

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2936 on: June 22, 2023, 08:03:42 AM »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/2023/kunstrasen-bonn-bonn-germany-6ba60ac2.html

Oof, sounds like a rough night for the band -  no bassist, malfunctioning equipment, some restarts. And flubbed lyrics. I hope it all didn't ruin the enjoyment of the show for folks who were there!

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2937 on: June 22, 2023, 08:21:45 AM »
Uh, taped bass, not sure how I feel about that, but probably better than to cancel the show. If I were there I would have hoped for a replacement bass player, but maybe they couldn't get one on short notice.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2938 on: June 22, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »

Oof, sounds like a rough night for the band -  no bassist, malfunctioning equipment, some restarts. And flubbed lyrics. I hope it all didn't ruin the enjoyment of the show for folks who were there!

-Marc.

Sounds like a rock show!!  That is the fun of playing truly live.  Anything can happen, even *gasp* mistakes. :P

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2939 on: June 22, 2023, 08:30:58 AM »
Uh, taped bass, not sure how I feel about that, but probably better than to cancel the show. If I were there I would have hoped for a replacement bass player, but maybe they couldn't get one on short notice.
Yeah, because Edwin couldn't do it....  ::)

Was just watching the interview, and I had to wonder if SW was taking a subtle dig at DT here:
https://youtu.be/BtPm_kFtJ0Q?t=620
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.