Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226561 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2835 on: October 21, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
That is surprisingly a good deal and I don't own any of those albums, I might have to pick that up

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2836 on: October 21, 2022, 11:18:42 PM »
I already have most of that material and I’m still tempted just for the stuff I don’t have and the “I collect stuff” angle of it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2838 on: December 02, 2022, 03:05:51 AM »
https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandcamp.com/album/athens-1995
1. The Sky Moves Sideways (Athens) 12:27
2. Isnot / Radioactive Toy (Athens) 18:26
3. Signify (Athens) 05:46
4. Waiting (Athens) 04:30
5. Moonloop (Athens) 12:04
6. Dislocated Day (Athens) 05:54
7. The Moon Touches Your Shoulder / Always Never (Athens) 11:18
8. Burning Sky (Athens) 11:57
9. Voyage 34 (Athens) 12:56
10. Up the Downstair (Athens) 07:46

About this album
A restored mixing desk recording of the complete 103 minute performance given by PT on their first ever visit to Greece, 2 days before Christmas 1995. It captures the band between albums, premiering some new material from what will become Signify, as well as most of then current album The Sky Moves Sideways. As with all board tapes it favours the instruments with no amplification from the stage, so Richard Barbieri's keyboards have a high profile here (no bad thing!)

What a wonderful surprise! A full live show featuring a ton of TSMS-era material! Cannot wait to listen to this!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2839 on: December 02, 2022, 06:29:35 AM »
It's fantastic so far. One of these days I should just suck up and download them all from bandcamp. They're great releases and I just listen on the website most times.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2840 on: December 06, 2022, 03:28:58 AM »
It's fantastic so far. One of these days I should just suck up and download them all from bandcamp. They're great releases and I just listen on the website most times.

Now is the time to do just this, currently 30% off if you buy the whole lot together.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2841 on: December 13, 2022, 10:31:35 AM »
Deadwing Deluxe coming March 3rd, 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3fKrxQVdVg

https://burningshed.com/porcupine-tree_deadwing_boxset

https://twitter.com/PorcupineTree/status/1602713539885547522

We’re happy to announce the Deluxe Hardback Book Edition of our 8th Album Deadwing, available via
@transmissionpt
 on March 3rd 2023.

Pre-order now: https://porcupinetree.lnk.to/Deadwing

#PorcupineTree #DeadwingDeluxe

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2842 on: December 13, 2022, 10:35:57 AM »
I cannot wait for this! I missed out on the IA set but I won't be missing out on this one!

Tracklist for the curious, lifted from Burning Shed.

CD1 Deadwing CD (2018 remaster)
1 Deadwing [09:46]
2 Shallow [04:17]
3 Lazarus [04:19]
4 Halo [04:39]
5 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here [12:02]
6 Mellotron Scratch [06:57]
7 Open Car [03:44]
8 Start Of Something Beautiful [07:43]
9 Glass Arm Shattering [06:08]

CD2 B-Sides
1 Revenant [03:05]
2 So Called Friend [04:49]
3 Shesmovedon [04:55]
4 Mother And Child Divided [05:00]
5 Half Light  [06:38]

CD3 Demos
1 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (demo) [13:03]
2 Godfearing (demo) [04:57]
3 Lazarus (demo) [04:10]
4 Open Car (demo) [05:08]
5 Vapour Trails (demo) [03:53]
6 Shallow (demo) [04:15]
7 Deadwing (demo) [10:35]
8 Mother And Child Divided (demo) [05:02]
9 Instrumental Demo 1 [05:19]
10 Halo (demo) [04:50]
11 Instrumental Demo 2 [05:23]
12 So Called Friend (demo) [05:01]
13 Glass Arm Jam [04:19]

Blu-ray Documentary Film, Rockpalast Broadcast & Extras
1 Never Stop the Car on a Drive in the Dark (Deadwing documentary [54:20]
2 Lazarus (promo video) [04:19]
3 Deadwing (remastered album 96/24 LPCM stereo) [59:37]
4 Deadwing B-sides (96/24 LPCM stereo) [25:25]
5 Deadwing 5.1 surround sound mix (by Elliot Scheiner and SW) [59:37]
6 Intro (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [00:35]
7 Blackest Eyes (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [04:33]
8 Lazarus (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [03:58]
9 Futile (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [02:31]
10 Interview (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [06:02]
11 Mother And Child Divided (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [04:50]
12 So Called Friend (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [05:00]
13 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast [12:24]
14 Sound Of Muzak (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [05:06]
15 Interview 2 (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [01:20]
16 Start Of Something Beautiful (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [07:24]
17 Halo (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [05:03]
18 Interview 3 (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [03:35]
19 Radioactive Toy (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast) [06:05]
20 Trains (Rockpalast WDR TV broadcast

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2843 on: December 13, 2022, 10:46:59 AM »
How did you mis out on the IA deluxe set? It's still available for a decent price.
Already pre-ordered the Deadwing deluxe from Burning Shed.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2844 on: December 13, 2022, 10:52:24 AM »
How did you mis out on the IA deluxe set? It's still available for a decent price.

I just didn't have the money at the time! Where can I still find it at a good price? I might have some Christmas money to spend in a couple weeks!

-Marc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2845 on: December 13, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »
I ordered my IA set from Amazon.

As for the new Deadwing set, I just pre-ordered it as well. But man... $117.49 USD with shipping. Ouch.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2846 on: December 14, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »
Oh, I want this Deadwing set, especially for the bonus material. I bought the IA set very late from Amazon and don't want to be late on this one. Going to hold off and see if Amazon or Laser CD lists it here. Shipping costs from Burning Shed are nuts.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2847 on: December 14, 2022, 11:11:13 AM »

I just didn't have the money at the time! Where can I still find it at a good price? I might have some Christmas money to spend in a couple weeks!

-Marc.

Laser CD has it for $90. Amazon also has it but they will ship it from the UK. That one is $76 right now.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/absentia-3cdblu-ray-deluxe-edition

https://www.amazon.com/Absentia-Disc-Deluxe-100pg-book/dp/B082QFYW6R/ref=tmm_acd_title_3?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1671041448&sr=1-3
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2848 on: December 14, 2022, 01:10:24 PM »
Oh, I want this Deadwing set, especially for the bonus material. I bought the IA set very late from Amazon and don't want to be late on this one. Going to hold off and see if Amazon or Laser CD lists it here. Shipping costs from Burning Shed are nuts.

Ken confirmed in the LaserCD forum he will carry it. Usually they carry it a month after BurningShed sells it.

I'm very stoked for this one. Deadwing is probably my favorite PT album, including the B-sides...however, it does have my least favorite song which is Lazarus  :rollin

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2849 on: December 14, 2022, 01:55:55 PM »

Ken confirmed in the LaserCD forum he will carry it. Usually they carry it a month after BurningShed sells it.

I'm very stoked for this one. Deadwing is probably my favorite PT album, including the B-sides...however, it does have my least favorite song which is Lazarus  :rollin

Ken has a forum? Where can I find that? Either way, looks like he'll get my money for this one.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2850 on: December 14, 2022, 02:00:40 PM »
Ken is one of my favorite members of the Sea Of Tranquility crew. If he ships stuff to Europe, he might just get himself a customer.  ;D

Offline emtee

« Reply #2851 on: December 14, 2022, 02:37:05 PM »
Deadwing is my favorite (and introduction) PT  album but I'm at a point in my life - with thousands of albums - that I have to ask myself, how often will I actually listen to all the extras? And the answer is, not much. The original is all I need. Very beautiful package though. Those who buy it will probably enjoy it.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2852 on: December 14, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »

Here you go. You will probably need to register on the Ultimate Metal site first.

https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/vendor/lasers-edge/

Ken has a forum? Where can I find that? Either way, looks like he'll get my money for this one.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: December 14, 2022, 04:02:15 PM »

:o

Wow, I love Lazarus. ha ha ha.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2854 on: December 14, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
Deadwing is my favorite (and introduction) PT  album but I'm at a point in my life - with thousands of albums - that I have to ask myself, how often will I actually listen to all the extras? And the answer is, not much. The original is all I need. Very beautiful package though. Those who buy it will probably enjoy it.

I'm a sucker for documentaries. The In Absentia Making of is very well done so I'm almost pretty sure we are going to get an excellent Deadwing documentary.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2855 on: December 15, 2022, 05:29:47 AM »
Thanks to this thread I listened to Deadwing last night. Such a moody album.

Also, has anyone ever heard SW talk about why trains are so prevalent in his music? I just have this feeling that something monumental impacted his life and it had something to do with trains.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2856 on: December 15, 2022, 07:44:03 AM »
Also, has anyone ever heard SW talk about why trains are so prevalent in his music? I just have this feeling that something monumental impacted his life and it had something to do with trains.

They turn him on.

Real answer: he lived next to a train station as a kid so they're a big source of nostalgia for him.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2857 on: December 15, 2022, 07:51:56 AM »

I'm a sucker for documentaries. The In Absentia Making of is very well done so I'm almost pretty sure we are going to get an excellent Deadwing documentary.

I am too, and yes, IA was really good. Looking forward to the Deadwing one.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2858 on: December 15, 2022, 10:42:54 AM »
Finally got time to listen to C/C, THAT'S a proper PT album.   It makes Incident sound like a whole other band.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2859 on: December 15, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »
I don't really remember much about The Incident, I think I heard it once or twice.
But C/C is an amazing album, sonically it rips to shreds just about everything I've heard in a long time.
Production, mix and mastering are spot on, something or a rarity in metal these days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2860 on: December 15, 2022, 05:34:56 PM »
Yeah, but C/C isn't metal.

I will take The Incident over C/C.  C/C is very good, but I feel like The Incident has higher highs, plus it dominated my CD player much more than C/C has.  As much as I love PT, C/C has not been album I have obsessed over for weeks at a time.  Ya know, that feeling when you get a new album and it is so good that you listen to at least once a day for weeks, maybe months.  That happened with Deadwing, Fear and The Incident.  It has not happened with C/C.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2861 on: December 15, 2022, 11:30:45 PM »
Yeah, but C/C isn't metal.

I will take The Incident over C/C.  C/C is very good, but I feel like The Incident has higher highs, plus it dominated my CD player much more than C/C has.  As much as I love PT, C/C has not been album I have obsessed over for weeks at a time.  Ya know, that feeling when you get a new album and it is so good that you listen to at least once a day for weeks, maybe months.  That happened with Deadwing, Fear and The Incident.  It has not happened with C/C.

Thank you for stating the bleeding obvious  :lol
My point was that it's such a great sounding album, unlike many nearly all metal albums of the past few years.

Played The Incident in my car this afternoon, and I lasted four songs and had to turn it off, it sounded annoyingly bad to my ears and I really have no desire to hear it again anytime soon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2862 on: December 16, 2022, 06:10:57 AM »
My one hang-up with the song cycle on The Incident are the short intro and interlude tracks (Occam's Razor, Degree Zero of Liberty) that merely sound like ambient pieces with loud crashing chords. They do nothing for me whatsoever, and I always skip them.  I know the chorus to Drawing the Line is a major hair in the soup for many, but I like it, and the verses to that song are so darn good that I have no problem with a chorus that is merely solid in that one.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2863 on: December 16, 2022, 07:34:24 AM »
The Incident and C/C are pretty much tied in my rankings tbh. They're both good albums that I enjoy a lot, but they definitely don't hit that same level that the IA-FOABP run achieved.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2864 on: December 16, 2022, 07:49:10 AM »
I liked the Incident back when I first got into PT, and all I knew of them was that album and Fear. Now that I've heard the rest of their catalog, all I see it as is a collection of half-finished songs and interludes with a few gems here and there. Most notably The Blind House, Times Flies, and I Drive the Hearse. SW seems to feel more or less the same based on his comments in his autobiography.

I still like more than the first 2 albums, but it's not something I go back to often.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 09:20:58 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2865 on: December 16, 2022, 09:34:04 AM »
I liked the Incident back when I first got into PT, and all I knew of them was that album and Fear. Now that I've heard the rest of their catalog, all I see it as is a collection of half-finished songs and interludes with a few gems here and there. Most notably The Blind House, Times Flies, and I Drive the Hearse. SW seems to feel more or less the same based on his comments in his autobiography.

I still like more than the first 2 albums, but it's not something I go back to often.

I read that too and was wondering if that was the case from the beginning, or if time has changed his opinion on that record.

SW doesn't seem to be the guy to release records he's not happy with.
And if he didn't have enough material, why make it a double album with four additional songs?
And why play The Incident in it's entirety on the following tour, when he thinks the record and concept is subpar?

And right at the beginning in the book he says that he lied in a lot of interviews and that he's probably lying in his book too. So he basically said we should take everything he says with a grain of salt.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2866 on: December 16, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »
Fair point!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2867 on: December 16, 2022, 10:06:17 AM »
Fair point!

Or maybe complete rubbish, I don't know.  ;D

It's just that I like The Incident quite a bit and maybe I'm just annoyed, that SW critized it so openly.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kram

« Reply #2868 on: December 16, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
The Incident and C/C are pretty much tied in my rankings tbh. They're both good albums that I enjoy a lot, but they definitely don't hit that same level that the IA-FOABP run achieved.
I'm pretty much right with you on this.  I think The Incident would have been much better with some of the fat trimmed off it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2869 on: December 16, 2022, 06:58:56 PM »
I would take SW's opinions with a grain of salt, as he tends to be pretty critical of a lot of his past work, and what he says usually depends on what musical mood he is in that year.