Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226501 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
Well, interpretation leaves everything up in the air, but officially I mean; the way the band intended it was for The Incident to be one disc. But yeah, it's definitely tied to the The Incident through the lyrics and even some instrumental beats, which is why I suppose they didn't release it separately because it's close in relation to the theme of TI; but I definitely wouldn't call it an extension of the album. It's a close cousin of TI and they just so happen to eff each other because they've got issues and that is the incident that made Bonnie a cat. Cause cats are gross and always rubbing up against...their...cousins...

<.<

>.>

:corn

The second disc isn't an EP. It is part of the album, its not a bonus disc. The only reason it is split is because Wilson wanted to put emphasis on the first 14 songs being tied together in one piece. The DVD-A doesnt list it as a bonus EP like it does with Deadwing/FOABP/LBS. It is intended to be one complete album.

This. Also both are awesome.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Well, interpretation leaves everything up in the air, but officially I mean; the way the band intended it was for The Incident to be one disc. But yeah, it's definitely tied to the The Incident through the lyrics and even some instrumental beats, which is why I suppose they didn't release it separately because it's close in relation to the theme of TI; but I definitely wouldn't call it an extension of the album. It's a close cousin of TI and they just so happen to eff each other because they've got issues and that is the incident that made Bonnie a cat. Cause cats are gross and always rubbing up against...their...cousins...

<.<

>.>

:corn

The second disc isn't an EP. It is part of the album, its not a bonus disc. The only reason it is split is because Wilson wanted to put emphasis on the first 14 songs being tied together in one piece. The DVD-A doesnt list it as a bonus EP like it does with Deadwing/FOABP/LBS. It is intended to be one complete album.

That said, I do listen to the two individually often, especially disc 2.

I didn't mean it so literal, of course it's apart of the album, I was attempting to make a point by saying it may as well be an EP and can be viewed as a sort of bonus, obviously they released it with the album purposefully; but people seemed to be giving the impression that it's apart of the song-cycle of "The Incident", which it is not. It is a completion of the album in that there are two parts, The Incident, and then the separate disc 2. I know Wiki is always given a bunch of shit for being completely unreliable (which is ridiculous) but here it is anyway (and it's cited from the official site; I also remember reading this when the album was first introduced):
[T]he centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc ... The 55-minute work is described as a slightly surreal song cycle ... The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie the Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.
So yes, it is one complete album, I didn't actually mean that the second disc is an EP, but rather what is referred to above in that it is completely separate from TI and is the length of an EP, but has connections to the album and is similar enough to be called apart of the experience.

I'll let this be now, considering it really doesn't make a difference but if someone thought that it was apart of The Incident then I just wanted to set things straight. Because yeah, it would be kind of ridiculous to have a second disc and it still be apart of TI. They should have named the second disc something else, as Wilson did with the bonus disc (which actually is a bonus disc) in Grace For Drowning; the third disc is called "The Map", so it's a bit more obvious that its separate. But I guess that's a different case altogether. All things aside, I think the second disc kicks the first's ass. Hell, there's about the same number of songs that I like from TI as there are on the second disc. For useless information, the only songs I can stand on TI are: Blind House, Great Expectations, The Incident, and I Drive The Hearse. Every other track bores the shit out of me. Like, I'll be sitting there thinking "Man, the guys on DTF have to be on to something...here we go, start to finish" and then halfway through I've found that I'm sitting in a warm, juicy pile of my own shit. It's fucking odd.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »
That's gotta be a fun smell.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #283 on: April 18, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »
Ummmm.... My poop does not smell. So fucking rude.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
So which album you guys recommend after really liking TI?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »
I'd say just move backwards from there. You won't necessarily be getting to the best albums right away (IMO anyways) but it will give you a really good sense of how they've progressed over time. Though I suppose for you it would be a regression.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
Browsing iTunes now. In absentia seems like one not to miss. Plus everyone seems to love Trains here haha!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »
IA is a great album, it's the album that turned me into a fan of PT.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
I'd say just move backwards from there. You won't necessarily be getting to the best albums right away (IMO anyways) but it will give you a really good sense of how they've progressed over time. Though I suppose for you it would be a regression.

This.

I remember Fear of a Blank Planet was my first and then I just moved backwards.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
The order I went in
Fear of A Blank Planet
In Absentia/Deadwing
The Incident
Llightbulb Sun
Stupid Dream
Signify
The Sky Moves Sideways
Up The Downstair
On The Sunday of Life

So I mostly went backwards, aside from the first couple I heard (which were all the more recent albums anyways)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:54 AM »
I can't remember my order. All I remember is IA was first.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »
My first was Deadwing then IA. Cant remember from there. FOABP was last.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
On a dilemma right now. I was about to download Deadwing and In Absentia but I think I now want the actual CD's. There is still something special about having that jewel case. The thing is I doubt I'll find it anywhere locally.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »
Buy it online!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
On a dilemma right now. I was about to download Deadwing and In Absentia but I think I now want the actual CD's. There is still something special about having that jewel case. The thing is I doubt I'll find it anywhere locally.

You might not find it in a best buy or something like that but most record stores should have at least some PT.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »
Bit the bullet. I'm downloading Deadwing right now (iTunes) what sucks is that iTunes doesn't have all of their records. Next I'm gonna get in absentia and warszawa. I'll have to look elsewhere for SD and FOABP.

Oh yeah after several listens of TI I really can't pinpoint a song I don't like. The only part I find cheesy is the Drawing the Line chorus. The song is so awesome but that chorus kinda ruins it, makes the song a bit too poppy IMO.

Offline jag66

« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2012, 02:50:23 AM »

The only part I find cheesy is the Drawing the Line chorus. The song is so awesome but that chorus kinda ruins it, makes the song a bit too poppy IMO.

One thing about PT a lot of people agree on  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »
The chorus of Drawing the Line might get annoying if there was too much like it on the album, but as it stands it's an amazing chorus and an amazing song.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »
Yeah I love the chorus of Drawing the Line. If more choruses had been like it (on the album) then maybe it had been more annoying, but we're talking about a chorus that's sung like 3 times in a fairly short song.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
Bit the bullet. I'm downloading Deadwing right now (iTunes) what sucks is that iTunes doesn't have all of their records. Next I'm gonna get in absentia and warszawa. I'll have to look elsewhere for SD and FOABP.

is there something preventing you from downloading them in super high quality on Burning Shed?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
The Drawing the Line chorus can definitely be hard to take at first, but once you get used to it, it is actually pretty good, not to mention really fun to sing along to. :corn

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
I don't mind the chorus on DTL, but I can certainly see why some would find it grating.

My biggest problem with TI is it doesn't really seem like a song cycle to me. The pieces themselves are interesting, but some are far too short and some are far too long (Time Flies), so the sum of the parts is actually LESS than the individual pieces for me. When I listen to the album, I really enjoy the music, but as an album it just doesn't work for me. I know a lot of people give IA shit about its song flow, but this is the one for me that just doesn't jive.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #302 on: April 21, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

is there something preventing you from downloading them in super high quality on Burning Shed?
Ah thanks a bunch! Dammit they have the Deadwing download with the bonus track!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #303 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »
My issue with The Incident is that it just feels too segmented.  I like "whole" songs.  Plus, ignoring structure, a lot of sections are simply weak by PT standards.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
My favorite song on The Incident is definitely I Drive the Hearse.

and seeing The Incident live in its entirety really made me like the album a lot more than I did upon the first few listens.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
My issue with The Incident is that it just feels too segmented.  I like "whole" songs.  Plus, ignoring structure, a lot of sections are simply weak by PT standards.
One thing I must agree is that the first 14 songs do not feel like a 55 minute long epic. The way te songs are broken down seem very individual to me, they don't flow like an epic should but teyre great songs nonetheless.

Offline TL

« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »
To be fair, there is a difference between a multi-part song and a song cycle; the latter being less cohesive.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #307 on: April 21, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
My favorite song on The Incident is definitely I Drive the Hearse.

You, sir, have good taste. :tup

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
One thing I must agree is that the first 14 songs do not feel like a 55 minute long epic. The way te songs are broken down seem very individual to me, they don't flow like an epic should but teyre great songs nonetheless.

That is precisely how it's supposed to feel. It's a song cycle, not an epic.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »
Ah I see, I read somewhere that disc 1 was a 55 minute epic broken down into 14 songs. Been listening to Deadwing now and I really like it. It's a bit heavier and TSOSB is something else!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »

i dunno, the bulk is made of whole songs. "The Blind House", "Drawing the Line", "The Incident", "Time Flies", "Octane Twisted" and "I Drive the Hearse" are all full length pieces that follow something akin to an expected song structure that lasts out to the 3-5 minute range (the obvious exception being TF's 11 minutes).

otherwise, some smaller parts feel like two-part songs (i.e. "Great Expectations/Kneel and Disconnect", "The Seance/Circle of Manias", even "The Incident/Your Unpleasant Family"), some are connective tissue ("The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train", chiefly), and then the two versions of "Occam's Razor" divide the suite into two rough acts and create a direct cohesion that is more obvious than some of the others that are more subtle (i.e. the reappearance of "Blind House", etc.).

clearly, it's much different from most DT epics and their ilk, but i find it a bit more interesting.

it's also worth noting that the first word we got about TI was that SW had written a 30-minute song cycle, which means the original TI ended after "Time Flies" (roughly). he evidently felt it needed to continue longer, though.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »
I've only listened to The Incident once.  It didn't really catch my attention. 

Should probably give it another chance, eh?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
The Incident is pretty meh to me. I liked it at first, but now it's just meh I find. Oh well.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #313 on: April 22, 2012, 02:22:06 AM »
So after giving Deadwong a few listens, I'm pretty sure I like TI more. Maybe Deadwing will grow on me more but as of right now I think TI is better.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
So after giving Deadwong a few listens, I'm pretty sure I like TI more. Maybe Deadwing will grow on me more but as of right now I think TI is better.

in b4 "you're dead wong about that!"