Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226450 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2555 on: June 24, 2022, 09:17:55 AM »
Was that a bat signal or perfect timing?  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2556 on: June 24, 2022, 09:37:12 AM »
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2557 on: June 24, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
The name stays

...fair enough.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2558 on: June 24, 2022, 10:15:37 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2559 on: June 24, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »
While not as brilliant as IA or FOABP, it' still a lot more memorable than The Incident. Dignity is awesome, and the full version of Herd culling rips :metal

Online faizoff

« Reply #2560 on: June 24, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
Looks like all digital services are listing the 10 songs as part of the album with no indication the last three are bonus tracks. Amazon, YouTube Music, Spotify and Itunes all show the 10 tracks as part of the regular album. I guess only the regular CD at this point has 7 tracks.

The name stays

Talk about legendary reply and timing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2561 on: June 24, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
the full version of Herd culling rips :metal

Yeah, a hell of a lot better than the single version. With the single edit it felt like I was being hit over the head with the repetitive choruses - here they're a lot more spaced out and satisfying.

I'm pretty sure the "true event" the song is based on is that War Of The Worlds radio scare, with the lyrics sounding a lot like an alien invasion and the "liar" chorus.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2562 on: June 24, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »
Just bought the three bonus tracks digitally on Amazon while I wait for the CD with the other seven to arrive. Diggin' Population Three's groove so far.  :metal

Wow, if the bonus cuts are any indication of the full record. I am going to love this. Killer.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:50:39 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2563 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:22 AM »
I never paid too much attention to the song titles until now, but "Population Three" feels like a jab at Colin not being in the band anymore, while also being a pun on "PT". It's clever and awful at the same time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:57 AM »
Qobuz's default listing contains all ten tracks, too, in case anyone uses it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2565 on: June 24, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »
I'm loving the album. The bonus tracks are as good as the rest and add even more diversity on the album. And it was really nice to let Gavin and Richard have more input on this album, it's really noticeable and refreshing.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2566 on: June 24, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
Have to say, aurally this album is a real delight. Nothing less than expected, of course... just had to say.

The music's growing on me.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2567 on: June 24, 2022, 11:29:47 AM »
The name stays
I was legit getting ready to change the thread name.

And now I am legit not going to change the thread name.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2568 on: June 24, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »
FWIW, I have listened to the album once, and I like it a lot.  Definitely better (for me) than The Incident, of which I don't have a great opinion.

Obviously, more listens are in order.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2569 on: June 24, 2022, 11:41:02 AM »
Porcupine Tree v. Glarung / Glarntinuation
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2570 on: June 24, 2022, 12:35:34 PM »
Well, as always, whenever there are "bonus tracks" for an album, I've got to find a way to slot them into the running order, so here's my take on C/C with the three bonus tracks:

Harridan
Of The New Day
Rats Return
Dignity
Population Three
Herd Culling
Never Have
Walk The Plank
Love In The Past Tense
Chimera's Wreck

The bonus tracks are just as good as anything else on the album and they definitely deserved to be a part of it proper. Would love to see what others here would make of a "complete tracklist" of all ten songs.

-Marc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2571 on: June 24, 2022, 12:39:49 PM »
Listened to it again and it's deff a good album  :metal

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2572 on: June 24, 2022, 01:30:05 PM »
I think Love In The Past Tense would have made a good addition to the main album. The other two bonus tracks aren't all that interesting to me; I don't think throwing all of them on there would have improved the album much if at all.

I do think the proper album feels a bit short though; it could have used one or two more songs after Herd Culling. Feels like the album wraps up a bit too quickly.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2573 on: June 24, 2022, 01:41:15 PM »
I think the album is great. And I don't care what they label the songs, for all intents and purposes I consider it a consistent and well paced ten track album.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2574 on: June 24, 2022, 02:25:15 PM »
The name stays

All time post. Legendary.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2575 on: June 24, 2022, 02:40:22 PM »
For those that have the limited editon, who wrote Population Three, Never Have and Love in the Past Tense? Thanks!
By the way, I'm listening to the album just placing Chimeras Wreck at last and it really has a good flow this way IMO.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2576 on: June 24, 2022, 03:00:31 PM »
Well, that was an unexpected reappearance. :lol

Before getting to the new album, let me say I truly loved The Incident, and always found it better than Fear of a Blank Planet which I thought was overrated among fans. One of the things I'm looking forward to the least on the upcoming tour is the almost certainty that Steven will drag out Sleep Together for the 1000th time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2577 on: June 24, 2022, 03:09:52 PM »
For those that have the limited editon, who wrote Population Three, Never Have and Love in the Past Tense? Thanks!
By the way, I'm listening to the album just placing Chimeras Wreck at last and it really has a good flow this way IMO.

You can check discogs for the credits:
https://www.discogs.com/release/23676632-Porcupine-Tree-Closure-Continuation

Of the ten songs, Gavin gets writing credits on 6, and Richard on 3, with "Herd Culling" being the only song credited to all three members.

-Marc.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2578 on: June 24, 2022, 03:11:14 PM »
The name stays

I'm just here to post that this is perfect! Galaurung was here for one reason, and it sure as hell wasn't to discuss this album.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2579 on: June 24, 2022, 03:31:02 PM »

Before getting to the new album, let me say I truly loved The Incident, and always found it better than Fear of a Blank Planet which I thought was overrated among fans. One of the things I'm looking forward to the least on the upcoming tour is the almost certainty that Steven will drag out Sleep Together for the 1000th time.
I believe he said in an interview that they were playing anesthetize, but wouldn't be surprised if another song makes it to the setlist ( If it does, I hope it's the title track).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2580 on: June 24, 2022, 03:34:12 PM »
The name stays

I love you so much. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2581 on: June 24, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »
The name stays

I'm just here to post that this is perfect! Galaurung was here for one reason, and it sure as hell wasn't to discuss this album.
That's was excellent.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2583 on: June 24, 2022, 04:33:16 PM »

You can check discogs for the credits:
https://www.discogs.com/release/23676632-Porcupine-Tree-Closure-Continuation

Of the ten songs, Gavin gets writing credits on 6, and Richard on 3, with "Herd Culling" being the only song credited to all three members.

-Marc.

Thanks! yeah, discogs is very good on that, but I always forget the site's name :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2584 on: June 24, 2022, 05:34:11 PM »

Hell yeah!  The Incident lovers unite!  :metal :metal

However, I do love Fear... as well, and Sleep Together is one of those great songs that I never tire of hearing, so SW can play it as much as he wants as far as I am concerned.  :biggrin:

They did

I believe he said in an interview that they were playing anesthetize, but wouldn't be surprised if another song makes it to the setlist ( If it does, I hope it's the title track).

They did say in one interview that they are playing Anesthetize, but I remember seeing in another that Harrison saying he is glad they aren't playing it because that song wears him out.  Makes me wonder if he meant the whole song, and perhaps they are just playing part of it again, like the middle section as they did on the last tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2585 on: June 24, 2022, 05:40:02 PM »
I got through one listen of the new album today, all seven songs from the proper album.  It sounded good, but it will take a few more listens to really wrap my head around it.  I wasn't overly wild about the Harridan, though, and I remember now thinking that at the time when I first heard it many months ago, which is when I decided to avoid it and any other songs until the whole album was out.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2586 on: June 24, 2022, 06:00:43 PM »

Hell yeah!  The Incident lovers unite!  :metal :metal

However, I do love Fear... as well, and Sleep Together is one of those great songs that I never tire of hearing, so SW can play it as much as he wants as far as I am concerned.  :biggrin:

They did

They did say in one interview that they are playing Anesthetize, but I remember seeing in another that Harrison saying he is glad they aren't playing it because that song wears him out.  Makes me wonder if he meant the whole song, and perhaps they are just playing part of it again, like the middle section as they did on the last tour.
Count me in as a fan on The Incident as well.  Although I would rank it behind IA, DW and FoABP.

As for Sleep Together - for me it's one of those songs that works better live.  On the album, I think it's just OK.  But the 3 times I've seen him play it live, it kicks ass and is always a highlight.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2587 on: June 24, 2022, 07:13:16 PM »
You can buy the deluxe version in digital format (MP3/FLAC) w/ pdf booklet
https://porcupinetree.tmstor.es/

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2588 on: June 24, 2022, 07:23:50 PM »
Returns in a 20 minute window after a 3 year absence... That's some top grade lurking man.  :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2589 on: June 24, 2022, 07:29:18 PM »
You can buy the deluxe version in digital format (MP3/FLAC) w/ pdf booklet
https://porcupinetree.tmstor.es/

That site has the 3-disc version for $76. I went to Amazon UK (US version didn’t carry it) and paid $82 which included rush shipping…so I guess that was a pretty good price. It’s supposed to arrive by next Friday.

Guess I should have pre ordered
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude