Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226523 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:16 AM »
I prefer Lightbulb Sun but not because I find Stupid Dream lacking at all.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »
I prefer Lightbulb Sun for sure, just on another level to Stupid Dream IMO. In my top 20 albums ever.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
Agreed.

On a different topic, what do you guys think about Stars Die: The Delerium Years? I've listened to the first three albums a couple of times and they don't do that much for me so I'm considering purchasing this compilation instead of these 3 albums. This way I would own a physical copy of the songs I've enjoyed from those albums (Moonloop, Stars Die, Synesthesia...) plus I've also read that the booklet on this album is amazing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:46 AM »
Stars Die is a pretty good collection. Personally I'm not a fan of collections, but I guess it sums up the earlier stuff quite well, and offers you some B-sides that are a bit rare. I'm glad I bought it, but I very rarely spin it in comparison to the studio albums themselves, I'd rather listen to Up the Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways or Signify in full, but I still think it's a nice thing to have. :P

Regarding Stupid Dream vs Lightbulb Sun, I think they're both fantastic. I say that Stupid Dream is a slightly better album overall. While Lightbulb Sun has some amazing songs, and some of the band's best IMO (like the title-track, Hatesong, Russia on Ice & Last Chance...) I feel like the rest of the songs aren't near those in terms of quality. I don't think the rest is bad, but it's a bunch of good songs that I don't particularly care for outside of the album. Stupid Dream however has higher lows IMO.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:08 AM »
I do own Signify though (it's in my top 3 PT albums) so Stars Die would just replace OTSOL, TSMS and UTD.

I guess the question is: are there any great songs from these three albums that I would miss out on if I got Stars Die instead of the albums?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2012, 05:52:22 AM »
Yeah, personally I think so. While Stars Die covers a lot of ground, it does lack a few amazing songs from the earlier albums. I think it covers the debut (On the Sunday of Life) pretty good, Nostalgia Factory, Radioactive Toy, Nine Cats and And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun are probably the best 4 songs on the album.
As for Up the Downstair, Stars Die doesn't have Always Never, Burning Sky or Small Fish (all are really great), and as for The Sky Moves Sideways it doesn't have The Moon Touches Your Shoulder, Dislocated Day or Moonloop.

So you might miss out on stuff, but you could still get it, and if you really like it, you could always pick up the first 3 studio albums later on. I don't know if you have it, but Coma Divine is an amazing live album that features songs from the first four albums. Personally I think it's their best live release.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
Agreed.

On a different topic, what do you guys think about Stars Die: The Delerium Years? I've listened to the first three albums a couple of times and they don't do that much for me so I'm considering purchasing this compilation instead of these 3 albums. This way I would own a physical copy of the songs I've enjoyed from those albums (Moonloop, Stars Die, Synesthesia...) plus I've also read that the booklet on this album is amazing.

I discovered PT by hearing "Mellotron Scratch" (still love this song) and then I bought Stars Die, I didn't realize at the time that it was a compilation and truth be told I didn't like it, but the few songs I did like, I loved, songs like "Fadeaway", "Dark Matter", and "Stars Die" " so I decided to check out the discography and I feel in love.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:58 AM »
Hum if it doesn't have Moonloop it's a no for me - I was checking Coma Divine and Stars Die at the same time and for some reason I thought Moonloop was in both.

I'm not too big on live albums so I guess I'll just pick the three individual albums - these plus the Incident is all I'm missing to complete PT's discography. I have to admit I will just pick these 4 up for the sake of completeness, they aren't comparable to Signify through FOABP for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:22 AM »
Personally I think Up the Downstair is just as good as Deadwing/Lightbulb Sun/Stupid Dream. The Sky Moves Sideways is great as well, OTSOL is probably the only album in the PT-catalog where I feel like I bought it for the sake of owning it. Not saying that it's horrible (it has some great songs), but as an album it's a few steps below the rest.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »
Hum if it doesn't have Moonloop it's a no for me - I was checking Coma Divine and Stars Die at the same time and for some reason I thought Moonloop was in both.

I'm not too big on live albums so I guess I'll just pick the three individual albums - these plus the Incident is all I'm missing to complete PT's discography. I have to admit I will just pick these 4 up for the sake of completeness, they aren't comparable to Signify through FOABP for me.

honestly, i wouldn't buy any of it until you enjoy them enough to do so. the artwork and packaging isn't going to convince you it's a good record, so why not wait until the day you go listen to it and say, "damn, what have i been missing all this time?" it's pretty much inevitable. even if it takes you 20 years, you'll eventually listen to OTSOL and enjoy the vast majority! it's a graduation that happens for most people who utterly love a band. the more you listen, the more you like.

of course, i don't think you should count on that happening, either. more reason to save your money until you have a connection to those records. then you already think they're worth owning!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
I'm not that crazy about the last four songs on Stupid dream, especially the last two. The album starts amazingly, but kinda drags towards the end. Am I the only one who prefers Lightbulb sun?
No, LS is almost a masterpiece.

SD, to me, is merely a good album with some great songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
The outro to The Start of Something Beautiful is giving me a hard on right now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
New PT fan here. After listening to them in passing for a few years thanks to Pandora, last night I decided to buy The Incident. Not that many bands make feel like a fan practically overnight after a single listen, but PT did just that. From what I've read, many hardcore PT fans downright hate The Incident. I guess after being long time fans you get somewhat jaded. But for someone new to the band, I think this is a great introductory album.

I'm on my third listen and so far I like time flies, the incident, circle of manias and I drive the hearse the most. The whole album is great though.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
Don't listen to those noobs, The Incident is awesome.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »
I have owned the Incident for a while, but never really listened to it.  I'm still pluging Stupid Dream a lot and Deadwing also, The Incident and FOABP are next.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:58 AM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2012, 01:21:23 AM »
The Incident is probably a solid/weak 4 out of 5 for me. While it's a great album, I think it has a few flaws, I don't really have the urge to listen to any of the songs outside of the album, but while I listen to the album I enjoy them.
Most of my disappointment might come from the fact that FOABP is a 5/5 for me, and The Incident doesn't reach the same levels for me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:47 AM »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »
Listen to those n00bs.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:43 AM »
When did The Incident become so hated? It's a great album.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Mladen

« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
The Incident is really good, although I wish it was released as a single disc. The songs on disc two are fine, but they just don't work as a part of the album, it would have been a far more consistent record had it only been released as The Incident, a 55-minute long piece. The other four songs could have been released as a bonus disc. But that's just my opinion, I know many fans like the songs on second disc better than anything on disc one.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2012, 06:46:52 AM »
I don't like the fact that it's a double CD. I like both CD's, but when I finish the songcycle, it's like "Bah.. the album isn't over yet". In that sense it feels too long.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
https://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Porcupine-Tree/328/ I think the rating on The Incident compared to the other albums is quite interesting. Inb4 "nobody cares about sputnik", but I think it's interesting. :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »
https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=290

It's pretty much the same on progarchives.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #270 on: April 18, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
I really don't like most of The Incident; at all. There are a few great songs, but it doesn't make up for the overall lack of interest. Also...the complaints about the second disc baffle me. Are you saying you'd rather those songs be on one disc? Yet your complaints seem to be that it makes the 'song cycle' continue on for too long. Except the song cycle is over at the end of the first disc. That is...precisely why there is a second disc; because it isn't apart of the song cycle and those songs are essentially a 'bonus'. They have no relation to the first disc at all aside from being created in the same time period of the first. At least that was my impression (Wilson spoke of a second disc before its release and said something along those lines, like it is apart of the experience of TI but it is not apart of the song cycle of "The Incident", hence the second disc's existence at all) and frankly even if it's wrong I'll still view them as such considering that it isn't as if Flicker continues or flows from I Drive The Hearse. Weird. Either way, I love the second disc for the most part, especially Flicker. I don't know what it is about TI as a whole, I just don't like having to listen to the whole damn thing to get the most out of it, because listening to it song-by-song (obviously not in sequence) doesn't work well at all for me. Then there are some songs that I flat out don't like, which is odd because I'd gladly drink the milk from Wilson's musical penis but he did not blow his load on this one.  :sadpanda:

Here's hoping when he does come back to PT that he has a new sense of inspiration and a whole new direction, because if the next album is anything like TI, I'll go from 'not minding that much' if PT disbands to flat out wanting it. Woot for the third solo album! But still..hoping PT releases a new, fresh, anti-Incident album in the next few years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:31:02 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jag66

« Reply #271 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
The Incident is good, but it's definitely in the bottom half of their albums for me.

Great Expectations/Kneel And Disconnect, Blind House, The Incident and Octane Twisted are the highlights for me. I'm not a huge fan of Time Flies and I think I Drive the Hearse is overrated too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #272 on: April 18, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »
I still say that The Incident is in the 4-6 range of PT studio albums along with Signify and In Absentia, with the top three for me obviously being Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and Deadwing.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
I don't like the fact that it's a double CD. I like both CD's, but when I finish the songcycle, it's like "Bah.. the album isn't over yet". In that sense it feels too long.

i do think it wasn't worth releasing as an actual double album. it's actually quite ludicrous they chose to do it that way. it would have been simpler and gotten more press if they'd released disc 2 as an EP about four or six months after the main disc, the same way they did Futile with IA and Nil Recurring with FOABP.

(of course, you can do that as is...)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
I don't know why that's a problem though... It isn't a 'double album' at all (outside of being a literal/physical meaning of the packaging containing two discs); it would be accurate to say that the second disc isn't apart of the album "The Incident". It is in fact an EP that just so happened to be packaged with the album itself. The Incident comprises the first disc, it ends at I Drive The Hearse; the second disc is a bonus and is a standalone CD outside of the entire 55-minute song-cycle.

I'm missing the point here... Not that it matters, it just seems odd to fault it for having a second CD when it's not apart of the song-cycle, which seems pretty essential to the idea of The Incident. You'd simply have to pay more money and wait longer to get more material. If anything, fault The Incident for being mostly boring poop, not for having an awesome scond disc that doesn't even continue the cycle. You might as well call the second disc a different name entirely; Bonnie The Cat's Bonus Disc.

Anyway, I'd much rather the next album not be a big concept or anything like that. It'd be nice just to get a normal album with songs that may or may not relate to one another and have a bit of diversity within the album.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
Actually, most or all of the songs from Disc 2 can be tied to the theme of the song cycle if you interpret it in a certain way. ;)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:58 AM »
Hurburderbur, remember me lover.
Something berber, remember me lover.

That's all I remember about the lyrics for that song. That's basically how it goes, right?  :)

But yeah, The Incident was my intro to PT, I still like it a lot even if I have long since heard their better albums. It was enough to make me check out the rest, so I'd say it at least works as a starting point. But besides Remember Me Lover, I don't get the love for disc 2 at all.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
Well, interpretation leaves everything up in the air, but officially I mean; the way the band intended it was for The Incident to be one disc. But yeah, it's definitely tied to the The Incident through the lyrics and even some instrumental beats, which is why I suppose they didn't release it separately because it's close in relation to the theme of TI; but I definitely wouldn't call it an extension of the album. It's a close cousin of TI and they just so happen to eff each other because they've got issues and that is the incident that made Bonnie a cat. Cause cats are gross and always rubbing up against...their...cousins...

<.<

>.>

:corn

RIP DTP.

Offline TL

« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
I definitely like how they handled The Incident; letting the song cycle be its own thing within the album. If you're listening to the whole thing through, it gives the listener the option of taking a break between discs, or throwing disc two on immediately afterward.

I've always felt that the songs on disc two share the same sort of feel as disc one.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »
Well, interpretation leaves everything up in the air, but officially I mean; the way the band intended it was for The Incident to be one disc. But yeah, it's definitely tied to the The Incident through the lyrics and even some instrumental beats, which is why I suppose they didn't release it separately because it's close in relation to the theme of TI; but I definitely wouldn't call it an extension of the album. It's a close cousin of TI and they just so happen to eff each other because they've got issues and that is the incident that made Bonnie a cat. Cause cats are gross and always rubbing up against...their...cousins...

<.<

>.>

:corn

The second disc isn't an EP. It is part of the album, its not a bonus disc. The only reason it is split is because Wilson wanted to put emphasis on the first 14 songs being tied together in one piece. The DVD-A doesnt list it as a bonus EP like it does with Deadwing/FOABP/LBS. It is intended to be one complete album.

That said, I do listen to the two individually often, especially disc 2.