Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226402 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2415 on: May 10, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »
Just watched a couple of videos of that Nate Navarro chap, and it seems like PT is going to be kind of boring for him.

He is amazing.   I think this is big cred for him like playing with Devin Townsend for a tour.  Builds his cred. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2416 on: May 10, 2022, 11:10:32 PM »
Just watched a couple of videos of that Nate Navarro chap, and it seems like PT is going to be kind of boring for him.

He is amazing.   I think this is big cred for him like playing with Devin Townsend for a tour.  Builds his cred.
Oh, I've no doubt it's good for him. I'm just not sure he makes a ton of sense for PT. With all due respect to Colin, I'm a big fan, this kind of seems like hiring Terry Bozio to replace Scott Travis.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2417 on: May 11, 2022, 04:30:01 AM »
Completely get that. Dud you know Terry Bozio played and toured for 1 album with The Knack?  Seriously. It's a good album.

https://youtu.be/PxxYC7a68WM
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2418 on: May 20, 2022, 09:19:04 AM »
"Herd Culling (Single Edit)" has been released today. I'm not listening to it because the album is just a few weeks away and I kind of want to save it for then, but for those of you who want to hear it, it's out there now.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2419 on: May 20, 2022, 10:38:00 AM »
Damn, it's really good, love the In Absentia vibes. That chorus :2metal:. Am quite hyped for this album.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2420 on: May 20, 2022, 11:27:25 AM »
Felt a bit repetitive for me, but it was good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2421 on: May 20, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »
Felt a bit repetitive for me, but it was good.

Same, but it is an edit. Hopefully the full version is better.

I don't have much of the desire to listen to an edit and the full album is coming out really soon, so I don't think I'll be giving this a second listen before then.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2422 on: May 20, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »
Anyone else getting a “I Might Be Wrong” (Radiohead) vibe from that riff?

https://youtu.be/8uN1Uq5lyv0
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2423 on: May 23, 2022, 06:20:49 AM »
"Herd Culling (Single Edit)" has been released today. I'm not listening to it because the album is just a few weeks away and I kind of want to save it for then, but for those of you who want to hear it, it's out there now.

Same here.  Except for the first song that was released, which I listened to once, I am avoiding all new PT until the album is out.

The more reviews and comments I read, though, make me less and less excited.  The fact that it seems like most of these songs were written around the jams Wilson and Harrison did make me wary, as Harrison's natural tendency seems to be "hey, let's make it complex and technical," and that doesn't excite me.  Granted, Wilson can write a great melody around anything, but I hope this album isn't an excuse for Harrison to show off his crazy technical skills too much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2424 on: May 23, 2022, 06:43:00 AM »

Same here.  Except for the first song that was released, which I listened to once, I am avoiding all new PT until the album is out.

The more reviews and comments I read, though, make me less and less excited.  The fact that it seems like most of these songs were written around the jams Wilson and Harrison did make me wary, as Harrison's natural tendency seems to be "hey, let's make it complex and technical," and that doesn't excite me.  Granted, Wilson can write a great melody around anything, but I hope this album isn't an excuse for Harrison to show off his crazy technical skills too much.

Well, I've listened to the 3 songs and 2 of them he is not all over the place.  He is a bit reserved and subtle with his approach. Very tasty honesty.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2425 on: May 23, 2022, 05:27:16 PM »

Well, I've listened to the 3 songs and 2 of them he is not all over the place.  He is a bit reserved and subtle with his approach. Very tasty honesty.

That is good to hear!  :tup :tup

I will freely admit that Gavin Harrison has a bit of the Jordan Rudess factor for me in that he swings back and forth between amazing me and aggravating me with the overplaying.  And that is a "me" problem. :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2426 on: June 02, 2022, 05:31:52 PM »
I’m watching Bill Nighy break down his famous roles and I realized this is Steven Wilson in 20 years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2427 on: June 07, 2022, 09:56:16 AM »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2428 on: June 07, 2022, 12:39:13 PM »
From that review: "A key member is missing though, bassist Colin Edwin, who had been in the band since 1993. As yet there is no explanation for his absence. Neither he nor the band has spoken about why he has not returned, which is more than a little puzzling."

Simply untrue.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2429 on: June 07, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »
From that review: "A key member is missing though, bassist Colin Edwin, who had been in the band since 1993. As yet there is no explanation for his absence. Neither he nor the band has spoken about why he has not returned, which is more than a little puzzling."

Simply untrue.

Correct, but it is possible that the reviewer simply didn't see Barbieri's interview where he addressed it.

Positive review, yes, but it feels more like blogger's praise rather than a professional review.  He dedicated a paragraph to the second track and failed to even mention the name of the song, and then talked about skipping around.  Not a good flow to the review, but it sounds like the album will be a good one, so that is good to hear!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2430 on: June 07, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »

Simply untrue.

What did Richard say? I haven’t seen it.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2431 on: June 08, 2022, 05:55:18 AM »

Simply untrue.

The gist of it was that Steven and Gavin used to jam a lot together, him (Richard) had been sharing ideas with them remotely, when they put everything together Steven had already jammed the bass so they never saw the need to call Colin.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2432 on: June 08, 2022, 05:56:37 AM »
Interview with Richard Barbieri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEa38RTC32c

Around the 15-minute mark or so, he directly addresses what happened with Colin and how it came to be just a 3-man unit this time around.

The interview in question is here jammindude

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2433 on: June 08, 2022, 07:46:11 AM »

Simply untrue.

The gist of it was that Steven and Gavin used to jam a lot together, him (Richard) had been sharing ideas with them remotely, when they put everything together Steven had already jammed the bass so they never saw the need to call Colin.

They could have called him for the tour, did anyone say something why they hired someone else?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2434 on: June 08, 2022, 08:07:41 AM »

Simply untrue.

They could have called him for the tour, did anyone say something why they hired someone else?

Yeah, I'm not buying what they're selling. We're not going to call the guy that has been the bass player going on 30 years because SW did it himself during the demo process. We're just going to ignore him and act like he was never in the band.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: June 08, 2022, 11:08:22 AM »

Simply untrue.

Correct, but it is possible that the reviewer simply didn't see Barbieri's interview where he addressed it.

It's in Steven's book, too (which I concede many will not have listened to/read).
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2436 on: June 08, 2022, 11:10:04 AM »

Simply untrue.

Yeah, I'm not buying what they're selling. We're not going to call the guy that has been the bass player going on 30 years because SW did it himself during the demo process. We're just going to ignore him and act like he was never in the band.

I think you're right but it doesn't matter if we're buying what they're selling or not. They've spoken about it, regardless, I was just addressing that point.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Kram

« Reply #2437 on: June 08, 2022, 02:51:06 PM »

Simply untrue.

Yeah, I'm definitely sensing they're not telling us anywhere near the full truth here.  I mean, us fans aren't stupid.  But I'll admit I will still be picking up the album, and will probably go to a show.  They probably know that most fans will do the same - so I guess that's why they don't really care it seems..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2438 on: June 08, 2022, 03:07:03 PM »
For me personally the lack of Colin and the 'vibe' of this reunion just rubs me the wrong way and feels more like a cynical cash grab than a real passion project and that's partly the reason why I decided not to get concert tickets or pre-order the album so far. But I'm still curious to listen to it when it drops and I'll probably end up getting the CD at some point. Don't really have anything against others who are more excited or are going to the concerts - heck if I hadn't seen them on The Incident tour I probably would have gone, but having already seen them I don't feel that "need to cross them off my list" that others might feel.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2439 on: June 08, 2022, 11:39:07 PM »
For me personally the lack of Colin and the 'vibe' of this reunion just rubs me the wrong way and feels more like a cynical cash grab than a real passion project and that's partly the reason why I decided not to get concert tickets or pre-order the album so far. But I'm still curious to listen to it when it drops and I'll probably end up getting the CD at some point. Don't really have anything against others who are more excited or are going to the concerts - heck if I hadn't seen them on The Incident tour I probably would have gone, but having already seen them I don't feel that "need to cross them off my list" that others might feel.

Man, prog fans are the worst  :lol Everyone gives SW shit for years now because he is moving on through different musical genres and influences, meaning he is actually a "progressive" musician. And everyone is whining for a PT reunion, just like many DT fans are just whining for MP to come back instead of enjoying the interesting progressions resulting from those new circumstances. And when SW says "ok fine I'll do it", people start saying it's just a cash grab  ::) Even if that WAS the truth, I couldn't care less. Because the album is very good and I am happy SW and the guys are able to make money with it. These are musicians and what they do is their job and they have to make money from it. Plus, it's not like they just released a PT compilation album and then toured. They wrote over an hour of new music.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2440 on: June 09, 2022, 12:08:50 AM »
I think you’re listening to different sides and then claiming the two arguments come from the same side.

I was not looking for a PT reunion. Though I would not have minded one IF that is what SW honestly *wanted* to do. But if he *wanted* to continue channeling his inner Bowie, I would prefer he keep doing that.

In any case, I never wanted any of the artists I love to create music for ME. I want them to create music for them.

Any time I get the vibe that they are doing it for me and not for them, I lose interest.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2441 on: June 09, 2022, 02:05:51 AM »
I think you’re listening to different sides and then claiming the two arguments come from the same side.

I was not looking for a PT reunion. Though I would not have minded one IF that is what SW honestly *wanted* to do. But if he *wanted* to continue channeling his inner Bowie, I would prefer he keep doing that.

In any case, I never wanted any of the artists I love to create music for ME. I want them to create music for them.

Any time I get the vibe that they are doing it for me and not for them, I lose interest.
Can I quote this in my signature?

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2442 on: June 09, 2022, 03:30:16 AM »

I don't think PT are anywhere near the level that can make a vast amount of money from a new album and touring the venues they are booked to play.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2443 on: June 09, 2022, 03:49:34 AM »

For me it is not like this. Some of the greatest pieces of art are/were made in comission, be it music, film or other forms of art. By that very nature it was created for someone/requested by someone/influenced by someone. Sure, I think it is great that artists make music for themselves as their passion. They should 100% do that as well, any creator needs to I think. And amazing material comes from that. But in the end, if an artist is good at making music for me, I absolutely wish them to do so. If they are good at doing that, offcourse. Offcourse if the artist is absolutely not into doing that, then it likely does not work. But I really doubt that is the case here. There is nothing wrong with pleasing a fanbase, especially in case of an artist like Steven Wilson, who has a steady output of a wide variety of projects.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2444 on: June 09, 2022, 06:15:45 AM »
I think it goes without saying that this reunion wouldn't have happen if not for the pandemic. Wait, check that, Wilson basically did say that. ;) :lol

I have it said it before and I will say it again: Edwin not being a part of this does take a bit of the sheen off the reunion, but I suspect that will all fade away if the album comes out and is really good or even great. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2445 on: June 09, 2022, 07:05:02 AM »

Can I quote this in my signature?

Will it fit?  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2446 on: June 09, 2022, 09:36:39 AM »

Man, prog fans are the worst  :lol Everyone gives SW shit for years now because he is moving on through different musical genres and influences, meaning he is actually a "progressive" musician. And everyone is whining for a PT reunion, just like many DT fans are just whining for MP to come back instead of enjoying the interesting progressions resulting from those new circumstances. And when SW says "ok fine I'll do it", people start saying it's just a cash grab  ::) Even if that WAS the truth, I couldn't care less. Because the album is very good and I am happy SW and the guys are able to make money with it. These are musicians and what they do is their job and they have to make money from it. Plus, it's not like they just released a PT compilation album and then toured. They wrote over an hour of new music.

I would have loved a PT reunion more under different circumstances - like legit enthusiasm about the project, including Colin, but this definitely feels like a response to The Future Bites missing with a lot of the fans and I think this was a smart move to put the focus on something else for now and another PT album will be a safer bet than another solo album at this point in time. Personally I just think SW should do whatever he is passionate about even when it's solo albums that I don't end up loving, but I don't really get a strong sense of passion from the way this PT album is being talked about. But hey that's just my five cents. :P

Offline Kram

« Reply #2447 on: June 09, 2022, 11:37:27 AM »
I think it goes without saying that this reunion wouldn't have happen if not for the pandemic. Wait, check that, Wilson basically did say that. ;) :lol

I have it said it before and I will say it again: Edwin not being a part of this does take a bit of the sheen off the reunion, but I suspect that will all fade away if the album comes out and is really good or even great.
The fact that Edwin isn't apart of the reunion itself is not what bothers me. It's how they've handled the situation that doesn't sit right with me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2448 on: June 09, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »

I would have loved a PT reunion more under different circumstances - like legit enthusiasm about the project, including Colin, but this definitely feels like a response to The Future Bites missing with a lot of the fans and I think this was a smart move to put the focus on something else for now and another PT album will be a safer bet than another solo album at this point in time. Personally I just think SW should do whatever he is passionate about even when it's solo albums that I don't end up loving, but I don't really get a strong sense of passion from the way this PT album is being talked about. But hey that's just my five cents. :P

It could be he invested a lot of funds in The Future Bites tour, and lost it all when it never happened.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2449 on: June 09, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »

The fact that Edwin isn't apart of the reunion itself is not what bothers me. It's how they've handled the situation that doesn't sit right with me.

Pretty much the same. I mean, I did order the big earbook of the new album knowing he wasn't there. The PR on the Colin situation has been poor.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history