Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226486 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #2030 on: October 31, 2021, 11:50:00 AM »
Beggs is very versatile in his playing.  If anything, he hasn't played much on the last 2 SW albums with Steven playing most of the bass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kram

« Reply #2031 on: October 31, 2021, 12:41:40 PM »
Well I'm guessing, based on that photo, that they are now a 3 piece band, and SW undoubtedly played all the bass when they recorded the album - so If they tour, I'm sure the bass player would be a "hired gun", vs. a new member of the band.  If it's Nick Beggs great!  Doesn't get much better than him - and I'm with Kev on Wesley, keep him out of it!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2032 on: October 31, 2021, 01:21:41 PM »
I love John Wesley's role in the live band! I think he complements the band quite well. Plus I really like his vocals. Is that picture of the three of them an official picture? or something that leaked early?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2033 on: October 31, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »
It’s a photo that’s shown on a German ticketing website.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2034 on: October 31, 2021, 03:01:58 PM »
It’s a photo that’s shown on a German ticketing website.
not a ticketing website per se (although FKP Scorpio do sell tickets as well), but they are an actual booking agency first and foremost (and they worked with Porcupine Tree quite a bit during the Gavin era)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: October 31, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
Let's hope not regarding Wesley.  His guitar playing is always atrocious when he is given a solo.  Keep him as far away from this reunion as possible, please.

Got to agree with you Kev. I enjoy Wes' voice and I really liked his vocals on fadeaway but his guitar playing is terrible IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2036 on: October 31, 2021, 06:04:38 PM »
The bass player for The Aristocrats might be a good fit. PLus SW has played with Guthrie and Marco as well hasn't he ?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: October 31, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
Didn't end well with Marco.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2038 on: October 31, 2021, 06:58:03 PM »
Let's hope not regarding Wesley.  His guitar playing is always atrocious when he is given a solo.  Keep him as far away from this reunion as possible, please.

Got to agree with you Kev. I enjoy Wes' voice and I really liked his vocals on fadeaway but his guitar playing is terrible IMO.

:tup :tup

Didn't end well with Marco.

Marco is a helluva drummer, but seems like a bit of a hothead. Must be a drummer thing. ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: October 31, 2021, 07:05:16 PM »
He might of had a point though.  He wasn't included in the gold record celebration and was pissed because he had prior commitments to The Aristocrats and didn't play the second leg of Wilson's tour

At least, I think that was the reason. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2040 on: October 31, 2021, 07:10:08 PM »
I cannot remember the specifics of the gold album thing, but I am pretty sure it was for an album by "Steven Wilson."  Not "Steven Wilson and Marco Minnemann," or "The Steven Wilson Band."   Sure, it would have been a nice gesture for SW to give props to the key members of his band who played on the record, but getting your panties in a twist over it seemed a bit unnecessary. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: October 31, 2021, 07:17:33 PM »
I just trying to remember the reasoning for the issue between them. Marco was sensitive about it for sure.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2042 on: October 31, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »
Here are MM’s original comments on the gold record thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/progrockmusic/comments/547wfa/marco_minnemannsteven_wilson_drama/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Then he had some more comments here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/marco_minnemann_says_he_does_not_get_along_with_steven_wilson_would_gladly_join_band_with_geddy_lee__alex_lifeson.html

What makes Steve Wilson a genius?

"I don't know, you tell me. [Laughs] I don't want to say anything about that, I'm not getting along with Steven Wilson. I didn't know his music before I was in the band, and I don't have to listen to it after. I guess that says enough."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2043 on: October 31, 2021, 07:27:51 PM »
From what I remember it wasn't even Steven Wilson's doing. It was either the record company or some other entity that requested the gold record or plaque and presented it to Steven Wilson. That's how I remember it and I think the thinking at the time was, 'is Marco pissed at SW? or whoever presented the plaque'
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2044 on: October 31, 2021, 08:13:33 PM »
None of that would have happened if Dream Theater had just picked him instead of the other MM that auditioned.  🤣

Can you imagine the timeline where Marco was pick and continued to be DT's drummer? No Aristocrats, most likely, and Steven would've picked a different drummer for those earlier solo tours. Prog as we know it might have changed quite a bit over the last 11 years!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2045 on: October 31, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »
None of that would have happened if Dream Theater had just picked him instead of the other MM that auditioned.  🤣

Can you imagine the timeline where Marco was pick and continued to be DT's drummer? No Aristocrats, most likely, and Steven would've picked a different drummer for those earlier solo tours. Prog as we know it might have changed quite a bit over the last 11 years!

-Marc.

At one point Nick D’Virgilio had an offer to tour with SW and turned it down to do the Cirque du Soleil gig. Had he chosen the SW tour and ended up more permanently working with SW we wouldn’t have Big Big Train as we know it, so major bullet dodged there.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2046 on: October 31, 2021, 08:44:11 PM »

-Marc.

At one point Nick D’Virgilio had an offer to tour with SW and turned it down to do the Cirque du Soleil gig. Had he chosen the SW tour and ended up more permanently working with SW we wouldn’t have Big Big Train as we know it, so major bullet dodged there.

Oh wow I had no idea about that! I'm glad we live in *this* timeline then. Nick's work in BBT has been some of his best and probably rivals his work with SB. I can't really imagine him being with SW, but he's so good that he probably would pull it off spectacularly.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2047 on: October 31, 2021, 08:53:22 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/progrockmusic/comments/547wfa/marco_minnemannsteven_wilson_drama/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/marco_minnemann_says_he_does_not_get_along_with_steven_wilson_would_gladly_join_band_with_geddy_lee__alex_lifeson.html

"I don't know, you tell me. [Laughs] I don't want to say anything about that, I'm not getting along with Steven Wilson. I didn't know his music before I was in the band, and I don't have to listen to it after. I guess that says enough."

So basically, he admits that he was a hired hand...so what was he so upset about? Good grief.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2048 on: October 31, 2021, 09:27:36 PM »

So basically, he admits that he was a hired hand...so what was he so upset about? Good grief.

My guess is there is more to it than just the gold record thing. Either that or MM is just really petty. Could be a little of both.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2049 on: October 31, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
I cannot remember the specifics of the gold album thing, but I am pretty sure it was for an album by "Steven Wilson."  Not "Steven Wilson and Marco Minnemann," or "The Steven Wilson Band."   Sure, it would have been a nice gesture for SW to give props to the key members of his band who played on the record, but getting your panties in a twist over it seemed a bit unnecessary.
The question is why wouldn't you give them one?  If there are only three to go around then that's one thing. The girl who gives blowjobs to the assistant of the studio second engineer gets a gold record, though. Everybody does. They're like Super Bowl rings. You contribute, you get one. Deciding that two people who played on an album, and almost certainly contributed to the final product just seems kind of suspect to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2050 on: November 01, 2021, 03:01:12 AM »
It could simply mean their personalities clashed in the studio and/or on tour. I feel Marco is very much a drummer that likes to have control of his own playing and creativity and Steven likes to have control of everything since well it's his project. I could see that creating some tension.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2051 on: November 01, 2021, 03:08:08 AM »
Marco does seem like a bit of a hot head but on the flip side SW does come off as very arrogant in a lot of interviews so definitely feels like a oil/water situation.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2052 on: November 01, 2021, 04:13:55 AM »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gborland

« Reply #2054 on: November 01, 2021, 04:37:40 AM »
Fuck me. What a beautiful surprise.
Graham Borland

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2055 on: November 01, 2021, 04:43:31 AM »
Man June of next year for an album release seems so far away.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: November 01, 2021, 04:44:03 AM »
Was never a big fan of Porcupine Tree - hugely prefer Steven's solo output - but that track is a monster! And bloody hell, it's par excellence sonically. Obviously.

Album pre-ordered, will attempt to get tickets in the pre-sale on Wednesday.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2057 on: November 01, 2021, 04:49:00 AM »
Porcupine Tree is back?? :o

Going to listen to the new track later!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2058 on: November 01, 2021, 04:49:16 AM »
Very good  :D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2059 on: November 01, 2021, 04:50:01 AM »
That was quite the bombastic entrance they did, what a beast of a song! Heavy and aggressive and Gavin just smashes it! Love the calm ending too.

Btw i'm getting this on cassette!  :lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 04:56:48 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: November 01, 2021, 04:56:30 AM »
No tracklisting yet ? I wonder if it's more on the Incident level of a lot of tracks or like Blank Planet's 6 songs with one very long one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: November 01, 2021, 04:57:56 AM »
That was quite the bombastic entrance they did, what a beast of a song! Heavy and aggressive and Gavin just smashes it! Love the calm ending too.

Btw i'm getting this on cassette!  :lol

Bands should start doing MiniDiscs again.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2062 on: November 01, 2021, 04:58:05 AM »
I'll hold off on the music until the full album is out but I feel like in the artwork department SW has gotten considerably worse in recent years. This looks terrible and IMO so did The Future Bites cover. Compare these to the classic PT covers and it's like night and day.

At least the artwork doesn't determine the quality of the album. :p

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2063 on: November 01, 2021, 04:59:06 AM »
The cover with the white square and black Arial text reminds me of David Bowie's The Next Day.

I love the middle section of the song. With the bleeping synths.

Also can anyone read the text on the CD?

At least Seven Tracks ?

Offline Dedalus