Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226528 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1995 on: October 30, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »
A new teaser is up with the date 1.11.21 listed (which is the LOGICAL way of saying November 1st, 2021), which I am guessing means an announcement of what is coming is happening this Monday.

Day Month Year.  :hat

A question just occurred to me. When saying it out loud, do the English say “the first of November” or “November 1st”? Americans obviously use the latter, which seems easier to me (less wordy) and in turn would led to why we number it the way we do.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1996 on: October 30, 2021, 08:31:35 AM »
Coming out of hiding just to say I can’t fucking wait!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: October 30, 2021, 08:33:22 AM »
Oh man FlyingBizkit, hope you're doing well!

I'm so excited for this release.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1998 on: October 30, 2021, 09:30:14 AM »
Porcupine 3

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:43:19 AM by pfillion »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1999 on: October 30, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
Holy crow!  :omg:

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2000 on: October 30, 2021, 09:42:44 AM »
Yes it's happening for real ;)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2001 on: October 30, 2021, 09:51:37 AM »
I thought that these reunion would happen some day, but much more far in the future. Really glad that it is already happening!!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2002 on: October 30, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
Porcupine 3

Whoa, where did you find that picture?! Apparently I saw someone mention on FB that the info is "already out there brought to you 'by the letter H'", so somewhere online is the info about this album/project/release.

Any guesses on what C/C means?! Colin's Canned?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2003 on: October 30, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
it could easily be the name of the song the clip is from, or the album title perhaps.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2004 on: October 30, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
Porcupine 3

Whoa, where did you find that picture?! Apparently I saw someone mention on FB that the info is "already out there brought to you 'by the letter H'", so somewhere online is the info about this album/project/release.

Any guesses on what C/C means?! Colin's Canned?

-Marc.

Apparently reverse Google image search thinks Steven and co. are the band fun. :rollin
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2005 on: October 30, 2021, 12:16:55 PM »
btw, I've never seen this before, but an In Absentia documentary was recently put up on YouTube for anyone else interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eydLqNFlvE0

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2006 on: October 30, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »
Coming out of hiding just to say I can’t fucking wait!

:caffeine:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: October 30, 2021, 03:15:05 PM »
A new teaser is up with the date 1.11.21 listed (which is the LOGICAL way of saying November 1st, 2021), which I am guessing means an announcement of what is coming is happening this Monday.

Day Month Year.  :hat

A question just occurred to me. When saying it out loud, do the English say “the first of November” or “November 1st”? Americans obviously use the latter, which seems easier to me (less wordy) and in turn would led to why we number it the way we do.

We say both. But written down it's always Day Month Year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2008 on: October 30, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »
I thought that these reunion would happen some day, but much more far in the future. Really glad that it is already happening!!!

You and me both!

I have long held the position that I was fine with Porcupine Tree ending when it did over a decade ago, but I am thrilled that they are apparently coming back.  Bummer to see that Edwin is likely not a part of it, and it makes me wonder if they will get someone who hasn't worked with any of them yet to play bass, or if Wilson will get Nick Beggs from his solo band to slide on over and take that spot.  Based on that picture, I am guessing whoever does play bass will not become an official new member of the band.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2009 on: October 30, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »
I have zero issues with Beggs taking the part.

I didn't even discover this band till after they had stopped playing, and was resigned to never seeing them live. Seems I may have to change that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2010 on: October 31, 2021, 03:45:09 AM »
It's Steven's career and he is allowed to do whatever he wants with it, but I would rather follow the solo path rather than a Porcupine Tree reunion without one of the members. Maybe I should hear the album before "passing judgement."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2011 on: October 31, 2021, 03:50:39 AM »
I wonder what is going on with Colin. Do they have any beef with each other? If not, what can Colin possibly have to do that is more important than joining PT? I can't think of anything he could do right now that would be more awesome for him than reuniting PT. SW brings hin awesome compositions and everyone contributes their magic to create music that only this band can create. Also, I can't imagine Colin doing anything more profitable than this.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2012 on: October 31, 2021, 04:00:36 AM »
I wonder what is going on with Colin. Do they have any beef with each other? If not, what can Colin possibly have to do that is more important than joining PT? I can't think of anything he could do right now that would be more awesome for him than reuniting PT. SW brings hin awesome compositions and everyone contributes their magic to create music that only this band can create. Also, I can't imagine Colin doing anything more profitable than this.

It's been a decade since the band dissolved, I don't find it that surprising if he moved on and is unavailable. Would rather see him as a member of it than missing out on it though.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2013 on: October 31, 2021, 04:23:36 AM »
I mean maybe he dosen' t wanna join a big band like PT and commit to touring if that's on the horizon. Maybe he actually have a good day job he enjoys and dosen't wanna leave that for something that may only last for one album cycle. There's no money in albums anymore especially in a band that hasn't released anything in 10 years. He most likely earn more doing his job.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2014 on: October 31, 2021, 06:53:55 AM »
Interview with Colin Edwin from earlier this year:

https://youtu.be/Q-4Hw8zC4Lg

Listen around 45:45 for about five minutes as he discusses when and why PT stopped over a decade ago.  My takeaway is that he has moved on and doesn't have any interest in playing with the other three anymore. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2015 on: October 31, 2021, 06:57:06 AM »
I mean maybe he dosen' t wanna join a big band like PT and commit to touring if that's on the horizon. Maybe he actually have a good day job he enjoys and dosen't wanna leave that for something that may only last for one album cycle. There's no money in albums anymore especially in a band that hasn't released anything in 10 years. He most likely earn more doing his job.

Your first part I can follow; not wanting to commit to touring. The second part, him earning more money, is not something I can follow from an artist's viewpoint. If making music is your main goal, money will probably come second to that. Even if you do have a good job, you can still have the need for making music. Money isn't everything in this world, though the world often makes you believe it is.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: October 31, 2021, 07:11:16 AM »
Wasn't the Incident 2009 ?

If there's a new album in 2022 it'll be 13 years like TOOL.

2022 will also be the band's 35th anniversary.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2017 on: October 31, 2021, 07:34:00 AM »
Except that Tool never actively disbanded.
I know that doesn't matter for the years in between albums, but Tool literally took 13 years for a new album, whereas Porcupine Tree had about 10 years off. In terms of productivity, that does matter.

And yes, while 'Porcupine Tree' started in 1987, it was not until years later that it actually became a band, rather than a one-man project.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2018 on: October 31, 2021, 07:40:38 AM »
Right, I think it was when touring on Up the Downstair in 1993 that the lineup that would remain until Maitland's departure came together.  10 studio albums in 18 years (1992-2009), and that is not even counting Recordings, the EPs and the tons of others non-album songs they did. To say that PT was a prolific band would be an understatement.  :tup :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2019 on: October 31, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
Yeah PT isn't even remotely close to being compared to Tool. Tool were still touring and talking about new music, PT was essentially dead for a decade before being started up again.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2020 on: October 31, 2021, 08:30:46 AM »

Your first part I can follow; not wanting to commit to touring. The second part, him earning more money, is not something I can follow from an artist's viewpoint. If making music is your main goal, money will probably come second to that. Even if you do have a good job, you can still have the need for making music. Money isn't everything in this world, though the world often makes you believe it is.
Of course, i'm not saying he dosen't make music but rejoining a big band and go on tour is a big commitment and probably means he gotta quit his job. Since he probably has to choose job or PT he might choose the first to have a secure income. Money IS a big thing if you have a family for example or atleast a steady income.
Look i'm just guessing here so I don't know of course but I think he might have buildt a good life with a secure job and playing music in projects and smaller bands.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2021 on: October 31, 2021, 08:40:59 AM »
I'm with Kev that judging by that interview posted, Colin does sound kinda done with the band. The fact he hasn't listened to anything SW did after the band dissolved (or felt the need to) and just the way he spoke about the band made it sound like something in the past he was happy to be a part of and something that reached its conclusion.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2022 on: October 31, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »
Now the other, less important question is... If the tour, will Wesley come along?

I'd be interested to hear what backing vocals from both Beggs and Wesley would sound like :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2023 on: October 31, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »
Jay, that's a great point. Their harmonies would be amazing.

Wesley did join Vertical Horizon but I think their tour ended.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2024 on: October 31, 2021, 11:23:15 AM »
Let's hope not regarding Wesley.  His guitar playing is always atrocious when he is given a solo.  Keep him as far away from this reunion as possible, please.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: October 31, 2021, 11:26:55 AM »
I knew you'd say that Kev. Lol.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2026 on: October 31, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
Well, if he is brought back, and is given solos to play live, the next solo he does a good job on will be his first.  He managed to single-handedly ruin the live version of Dark Matter on the Anesthetize live DVD by butchering the crap out of the first solo.

Surely, they can find another guitarist/singer who can presumably do a much better job.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: October 31, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
They might depending on if he's allowed since joining VH. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2028 on: October 31, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »
Well, if he is brought back, and is given solos to play live, the next solo he does a good job on will be his first.  He managed to single-handedly ruin the live version of Dark Matter on the Anesthetize live DVD by butchering the crap out of the first solo.

Surely, they can find another guitarist/singer who can presumably do a much better job.

I don't feel AS strongly about John Wesley as you (though I'm not a huge fan either) but this feels like the kind of situation where he would be brought back more for nostalgia and having been a part in the past rather than adding another level to it. :D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2029 on: October 31, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
Let's hope not regarding Wesley.  His guitar playing is always atrocious when he is given a solo.  Keep him as far away from this reunion as possible, please.
His guitar playing is inconsequential compared to his backing vox. He's a perfect fit there because he does SW's vocals from the album so well. I guess that Beggs guy will do alright, but I'm hoping they keep this as far removed from SW's solo stuff as possible.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson