Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226513 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1925 on: September 07, 2021, 06:29:12 AM »
I feel like it was yesterday that Wilson claimed there is no chance Porcupine Tree will get back together. He was so adamant about it. I wonder what has changed.

The simple answer I think is no matter what happens, a lot of people get nostalgic about things over time and I think SW was very adamant to break off on his own because he wanted to stand on his own legs, but as time has passed, I'm sure he looks back at PT less as an annoyance (People giving PT more attention than his solo stuff) and probably more reverence. For the most part I would say time makes you reflect on things in a more positive way and you might start to miss some things that you didn't realize you would miss a couple of years earlier.

The more cynical part of my brain is looking at this as a smart move to create some interest. I liked The Future Bites but looking around, I feel like the ceiling of praise that album got was "Yeah its good" but a lot fewer people seem extremely optimistic about it compared to HCE or Raven for example. A lot of people didn't care for this direction at all and the people who did weren't really blown away either. I do think SW sees a future in his solo project being something different from what fans want so then it makes sense to push a PT reunion and make an album there. You get to please a big part of your fanbase while also taking some pressure off the solo career and he can still approach the next solo album as a different beast.

I think it's cool SW is doing what he is passionate about but I'd be curious to know how he himself reflects on The Future Bites. At the time of the release there was a lot of those "5/5 His best album yet" quotes by magazines/reviewers but it feels like that hype cloud has evaporated by now. You put this album up next to HCE or Raven for example, or even To the Bone and it doesn't feel it's been nearly as well received or talked about. The album came out this year but you don't hear anyone really talk about it much. Of course it hurt SW that he couldn't take this out on tour, cause maybe some songs will improve a lot live, but I wonder if this experience has humbled him perhaps. It feels like the first album he has put out that even some of the most hardcore fans weren't that hyped about. If so, I get why a PT reunion would be possible.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1926 on: September 07, 2021, 07:32:19 AM »
The only "drama" I can recall between Wilson and Edwin was way back during the recordings for Signify, Wilson apparently replaced Edwin's takes for Waiting Phase One and Dark Matter with his own without asking. A bit of a dick move but I doubt that has anything to do with any bad blood currently.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1927 on: September 07, 2021, 09:48:57 AM »
I was also wondering if the delayed release of TFB, and its subsequent less-than-stellar reception, kind of put the idea of a PT reunion into Steven's head as a way to "bounce back" from TFB, especially since he seemed to have had grand ideas for the tour, which probably won't happen at this rate. I bet his next big comeback will be the PT reunion album and/or tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #1928 on: September 07, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »
See I believe they've already recorded a new album over the last year or so during lock-down - have kept it quite and are possibly working out final details (which could include the Colin situation).  Would not be surprised to hear news about it soon - just my prediction..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1929 on: September 07, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
See I believe they've already recorded a new album over the last year or so during lock-down - have kept it quite and are possibly working out final details (which could include the Colin situation).  Would not be surprised to hear news about it soon - just my prediction..

I think so too. Also didn't SW say a while ago he had 2 other albums in the bag essentially and one was a guitar album? I think that will turn out to be a PT album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1930 on: September 07, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »
If a new PT record is released, I surely will buy it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1931 on: September 07, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
If a new PT record is released, I surely will buy it.
Same.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1932 on: September 07, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »
1st day buyer if there is new PT. Will be very interesting to see how the long break would impact new music.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1933 on: September 07, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »

I think so too. Also didn't SW say a while ago he had 2 other albums in the bag essentially and one was a guitar album? I think that will turn out to be a PT album.

Yes he did, and that's one of the reasons I believe they've already recorded it.  Add to that the revamped social media pages, the change in status for the "legal entity" of the band - and now these comments - l think news of a new album will be coming soon. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1934 on: September 07, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
Yeah, I would imagine a new PT album is either already done or in the works to happen very soon.  Wilson wouldn't have thrown that "I am sure that band will do something again someday" comment out there otherwise.  Makes me wonder if they are waiting to release it when they can tour it as well.  I know Gavin is touring with King Crimson and has a tour next spring Pineapple Thief, so those are a few things to work around, for one.  And of course there is Covid. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1935 on: September 08, 2021, 11:33:14 AM »
I feel like it was yesterday that Wilson claimed there is no chance Porcupine Tree will get back together. He was so adamant about it. I wonder what has changed.

The simple answer I think is no matter what happens, a lot of people get nostalgic about things over time and I think SW was very adamant to break off on his own because he wanted to stand on his own legs, but as time has passed, I'm sure he looks back at PT less as an annoyance (People giving PT more attention than his solo stuff) and probably more reverence. For the most part I would say time makes you reflect on things in a more positive way and you might start to miss some things that you didn't realize you would miss a couple of years earlier.

The more cynical part of my brain is looking at this as a smart move to create some interest. I liked The Future Bites but looking around, I feel like the ceiling of praise that album got was "Yeah its good" but a lot fewer people seem extremely optimistic about it compared to HCE or Raven for example. A lot of people didn't care for this direction at all and the people who did weren't really blown away either. I do think SW sees a future in his solo project being something different from what fans want so then it makes sense to push a PT reunion and make an album there. You get to please a big part of your fanbase while also taking some pressure off the solo career and he can still approach the next solo album as a different beast.

I think it's cool SW is doing what he is passionate about but I'd be curious to know how he himself reflects on The Future Bites. At the time of the release there was a lot of those "5/5 His best album yet" quotes by magazines/reviewers but it feels like that hype cloud has evaporated by now. You put this album up next to HCE or Raven for example, or even To the Bone and it doesn't feel it's been nearly as well received or talked about. The album came out this year but you don't hear anyone really talk about it much. Of course it hurt SW that he couldn't take this out on tour, cause maybe some songs will improve a lot live, but I wonder if this experience has humbled him perhaps. It feels like the first album he has put out that even some of the most hardcore fans weren't that hyped about. If so, I get why a PT reunion would be possible.

It's also the first album in the whole PT/SW discography that I really don't care about. It seemed he stripped away almost everything on purpose, all the grandeur and epic builds are just gone. That said, it's certainly not a bad record or anything. I found it quite boring - something I never had with SW's music.

And of course THAT's the album Anthony Fantano likes. He dislikes everything the man puts out but The Future Bites is okay in his book.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1936 on: September 08, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
While I think it's admirable for SW to still want to try new things, it's also totally fair for the fans to have certain expectations from him considering he's been making music for 30 years. I feel like the awkward position of The Future Bites is that it's not really good enough to transcend genres and have people blown away, and it also abandons a lot of the things fans like in his music. Radiohead got a lot of flack from some when going from OK Computer to Kid A though a lot of people can recognize the first is a classic alt rock album and the second a classic electronic album. However in the case of SW what we got was a fairly average (or decent) pop album but a lot of the SW purists don't care for it at all and I don't see it gaining him a ton of new fans either.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1937 on: September 08, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »

And of course THAT's the album Anthony Fantano likes. He dislikes everything the man puts out but The Future Bites is okay in his book.

Who is Anthony Fantano?  I mean, I know who he is, but why does his opinion on Steven Wilson matter? 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1938 on: September 08, 2021, 01:21:15 PM »

Who is Anthony Fantano?  I mean, I know who he is, but why does his opinion on Steven Wilson matter?
And really, Fantano hasn't been right about much over the last few years. At least in my opinion.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1939 on: September 08, 2021, 01:32:48 PM »

And really, Fantano hasn't been right about much over the last few years. At least in my opinion.

I'm curious to hear what kind of music he makes.  I wonder if there's more substance behind him than just being a "content creator" on YouTube.

UPDATE: Found his album on bandcamp.  Listening now.  https://anthonyfantanoricharddalbis.bandcamp.com/album/taiga
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1940 on: September 08, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »
His reviews can be interesting but I just find him personality wise to be the blandest cracker on youtube. He gives high scores to albums others also give high scores to, he keeps reviewing albums in genres he clearly doesn't like (SW and BTBAM 2 examples) but the thing I find the most boring with him is that unlike every other human, he doesn't seem to have any bands or artists that he feels very passionate about where he might be in a minority. And IMO it's more interesting with people who have some odd opinions, or they have some favorite band that isn't on the top100 RYM list or whatever.

He's good at what it does but his taste in music is just so boring and 'safe'.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1941 on: September 08, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
He got me to check out Anamanaguchi and King Gizzard (among others) so his many sins are forgiven

EDIT: And Moonsorrow ;) ;) ;)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1942 on: September 08, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »
He got me to check out Anamanaguchi and King Gizzard (among others) so his many sins are forgiven

Wait, it wasn't me that turned you on to Moonsorrow? :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1943 on: September 08, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »

Wait, it wasn't me that turned you on to Moonsorrow? :biggrin:

I heard the name on here prior (probably from you sending them in roulettes) but you never actually sent me them in any of mine. I didn't actually listen to them until I saw his review of Jumalten Aika, which stuck out to me because he was describing stuff that I usually like and he usually doesn't like, yet he gave it a great score, so I figured it must be something special. And it was! He gave it an 8 and I'd probably give it a 9 or at least a damn strong 8. My second best discovery of last year behind Lift Your Skinny Fists! which I was quite late to the party on. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1944 on: September 08, 2021, 05:22:52 PM »

It's also the first album in the whole PT/SW discography that I really don't care about. It seemed he stripped away almost everything on purpose, all the grandeur and epic builds are just gone. That said, it's certainly not a bad record or anything. I found it quite boring - something I never had with SW's music.

I still like the overall Future Bites experience (album + all of the bonus tracks) quite a bit, this feels like a rare album where he didn't make the right choices as to what songs to put on the proper album.  It feels like quite a few of the best songs were relegated to being bonus songs, and this is a rare SW album that feels like a collection of songs rather than a well-flowing record, so I feel that a few tweaks could have made the proper album a lot better.  I'd still rank it near the bottom if I had to rank his PT/solo albums together, but it'd still be better, IMO.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1945 on: September 10, 2021, 01:52:08 PM »

I still like the overall Future Bites experience (album + all of the bonus tracks) quite a bit, this feels like a rare album where he didn't make the right choices as to what songs to put on the proper album.  It feels like quite a few of the best songs were relegated to being bonus songs, and this is a rare SW album that feels like a collection of songs rather than a well-flowing record, so I feel that a few tweaks could have made the proper album a lot better.  I'd still rank it near the bottom if I had to rank his PT/solo albums together, but it'd still be better, IMO.

For me, that makes it even more a part of the concept.  :lol

Like how they keep some good b-sides in order to sell more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: September 10, 2021, 02:09:35 PM »

I still like the overall Future Bites experience (album + all of the bonus tracks) quite a bit, this feels like a rare album where he didn't make the right choices as to what songs to put on the proper album. 

Perhaps. But it's amazing we get to make that determination for ourselves, isn't it? The vast majority of artists we tend to like in this forum wouldn't make available the number of tracks Wilson did surrounding this release.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1947 on: September 10, 2021, 08:34:01 PM »

I still like the overall Future Bites experience (album + all of the bonus tracks) quite a bit, this feels like a rare album where he didn't make the right choices as to what songs to put on the proper album. 

Perhaps. But it's amazing we get to make that determination for ourselves, isn't it? The vast majority of artists we tend to like in this forum wouldn't make available the number of tracks Wilson did surrounding this release.

Oh, for sure.  I just think this is a rare instance where I don't think the proper album wasn't as great as it could have been given all of the songs that were left off.  And I am not in the "all of the best songs have to be on the proper album" camp.  I think Drown with Me was one of the top 5 songs from the In Absentia sessions, but it would have sounded out of place on In Absentia, so leaving it off was, IMO, the right decision. 

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1948 on: September 11, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »

Oh, for sure.  I just think this is a rare instance where I don't think the proper album wasn't as great as it could have been given all of the songs that were left off.  And I am not in the "all of the best songs have to be on the proper album" camp.  I think Drown with Me was one of the top 5 songs from the In Absentia sessions, but it would have sounded out of place on In Absentia, so leaving it off was, IMO, the right decision.

That's how I feel about So Called Friend. It would fit on the album, but then adding it would sort of drag it out a little bit.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1949 on: September 11, 2021, 06:08:43 PM »

That's how I feel about So Called Friend. It would fit on the album, but then adding it would sort of drag it out a little bit.

Big time.  I liked that song a lot at first, probably because I was still in my honeymoon phase with PT when I heard it, but it didn't age well for me at all.  I never listen to it anymore. Ever.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1950 on: September 11, 2021, 11:16:32 PM »
Perhaps this is controversial, but aside from Buying New Soul, Stars Die, & a few from the OTSOL-era demos, I think the band has always made the right choices on which songs to cut from the album & which to keep.

Same with SW solo apart from Eyewitness & Anyone But Me.

(Edit: & maybe a few Insurgentes B-sides too, though I'm not as familiar with that album)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:35:27 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DTA

« Reply #1951 on: September 12, 2021, 05:57:00 AM »
Perhaps this is controversial, but aside from Buying New Soul, Stars Die, & a few from the OTSOL-era demos, I think the band has always made the right choices on which songs to cut from the album & which to keep.

Same with SW solo apart from Eyewitness & Anyone But Me.

(Edit: & maybe a few Insurgentes B-sides too, though I'm not as familiar with that album)

As much as I love it, even Stars Die would’ve sounded out of place on TSMS since the rest of the songs had programmed drums. Buying New Soul seems distant from SD and LS as well even though it’s from the same era. It almost feels like there should’ve been an album in between LS and IA that’s not just b-sides like Recordings.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1952 on: September 12, 2021, 10:30:55 AM »
Some of the best PT B-Sides weren't even written/recorded at the same time as their closest album. If I'm remembering correctly Buying New Soul and Futile were written shortly after Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia, respectively.

And as strong as the Nil Recurring EP is, FOABP is pretty much the perfect package already so I don't think adding any songs from that would have improved it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1953 on: September 12, 2021, 07:26:53 PM »
Buying New Sould was written after Lightbulb Sun was finished recording, but before Lightbulb Sun released, meaning they could've delayed the album to include it if they really wanted to.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1954 on: October 28, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1955 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:05 AM »
New Porcupine Tree album soon?

https://twitter.com/PorcupineTree/status/1453708372595912710?s=20

P/T
C/C

I wonder what it means? 🤔

-Marc.

Porcupine Tree, Coheed and Cambria are touring again.   :)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1956 on: October 28, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »
I wanna get excited but i'm afraid it might be a special extended vinyl edition with a C side of never before heard outakes of bloopers in the studio or something like that...

So i'm keeping my cool for now.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1957 on: October 28, 2021, 08:27:46 AM »
Well it's from Sony music and someone reversed the audio

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv6s5jsji2etzr8/PT%20reversed.mp3?dl=0

Could be a new track
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1958 on: October 28, 2021, 08:31:25 AM »
P/T - Porcupine Tree
C/C- Credit Card

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1959 on: October 28, 2021, 08:32:56 AM »
Collin/Cedwin