Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226328 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1890 on: May 11, 2021, 02:07:57 PM »
Oooh, maybe they'll finally release an EP with all of the Deadwing B-Sides!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1891 on: May 11, 2021, 02:18:37 PM »
New flashy website.

Updated YouTube page.

Something will happen shortly.

Least expecting it, my ass.

2003 live release from the In Absentia tour.
They aren't doing all of this just to release a 2003 show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1892 on: May 11, 2021, 02:24:06 PM »
Honestly I would be so happy if something is finally brewing in the PT camp.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1893 on: May 11, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
Honestly I would be so happy if something is finally brewing in the PT camp.  :tup

Exactly. The frustrating thing for me, and some others, is that I'm a fan of Porcupine Tree, but not necessarily SW as a solo artist. Don't get me wrong, I ABSOLUTELY appreciate SW's talents and understand just how cool some of the prog stuff he does is. It's just not typically in territory that I can get into. I liked The Raven Who Refused to Sing, but nowhere near as much as the Stupid Dream through Fear of a Blank Planet. I've checked out everything he has done since, and he's lost me more and more.

SW himself has said so many times that PT, particularly the IA-FoaBP records, were compromises between he and the band. I'd argue that that compromise is what made PT so special. So yes, anything that perhaps gets PT together and builds off of FoaBP, I'd be down for. I think The Incident saw SW taking more ownership of the direction, and consequently, wasn't as good to me. It wasn't bad, but certainly not something I was very high on.

Hopefully, with some years in the rear view, SW and the PT guys can reunite at some point, embrace that compromise, and continue. I think SW's direction as a solo artist is now sufficiently different, and both PT and SW solo could co-exist nicely.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1894 on: May 11, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
New flashy website.

Updated YouTube page.

Something will happen shortly.

Least expecting it, my ass.

2003 live release from the In Absentia tour.
They aren't doing all of this just to release a 2003 show.

I would love to see a reunion but I think it's just to release more music.  Either way, I'm happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1895 on: May 11, 2021, 03:14:31 PM »
Honestly, I'm hoping this means there will be more copies of The Incident printed on CD, so I can get that album at long last. (That said, I would also be excited at the prospect of a new album if it were to get announced.)

Offline Kram

« Reply #1896 on: May 12, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »
I believe SW said in a recent interview that he's been working on 2 projects during the covid shutdowns - and one of them was a more guitar driven project....so its a possibility.

Online Revenge319

« Reply #1897 on: August 22, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
I don't know when it first popped up, but there's going to be a reissue of The Incident releasing on September 24th, 2021. It's available for pre-order on Amazon and other sites.

https://www.amazon.com/Incident-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B099BZQMGH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1898 on: August 22, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
I don't see it listed there, but I swear I remember reading about this somewhere recently and it saying that the reissue will be with all 18 songs on one CD this time instead of the four songs not part of the song cycle on a second disc like originally released.

Online Revenge319

« Reply #1899 on: August 22, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
I don't see it listed there, but I swear I remember reading about this somewhere recently and it saying that the reissue will be with all 18 songs on one CD this time instead of the four songs not part of the song cycle on a second disc like originally released.

That makes sense; the Audio CD format listing on Amazon only shows one CD next to the album art.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1900 on: August 23, 2021, 04:34:24 AM »
It was announced a while back. Burning Shed also has it for pre-order

https://burningshed.com/porcupine-tree_the-incident_transmission-label-cd

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: August 24, 2021, 04:45:26 AM »
Oh nice, I'll have to pre-order the vinyl.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1902 on: August 24, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »

That makes sense; the Audio CD format listing on Amazon only shows one CD next to the album art.

:tup :tup

I know some thought this album was a big drop-off, and I myself won't argue that it is as great overall as many of their other albums, but I still love The Incident, and will defend it till my last breath.  :hat

Online Revenge319

« Reply #1903 on: August 24, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
The Incident is my second-favorite Porcupine Tree album, only beaten by Deadwing. Amazing album from start to finish.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1904 on: August 24, 2021, 05:44:34 PM »
The Incident is my second-favorite Porcupine Tree album, only beaten by Deadwing. Amazing album from start to finish.

There ya go.  I am actually not overly wild about Remember Me Lover or the noisy ambient tracks (Occam's Razor, Degree Zero of Liberty), but everything else is money.  I Drive the Hearse and Bonnie the Cat remain two of my favorite PT songs ever.  :hat :hat

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1905 on: August 24, 2021, 07:23:56 PM »
I prefer the live version. I saw them twice on that tour and the song just hit harder live than the studio.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1906 on: August 25, 2021, 06:20:30 AM »
I prefer the live version. I saw them twice on that tour and the song just hit harder live than the studio.

Which song?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1907 on: August 25, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »

Which song?

The Incident (the complete song). The vibe and flow came out better. Octane Twisted (the album) remains on decent rotation. As far as the individual songs go, I love Circle of Manias and Drive the Hearse.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1908 on: August 25, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
I'll throw my hat in as someone who also thinks The Incident is quite good and definitely underrated.  It doesn't help, that SW himself, appears to be underwhelmed by it and uses it as, well not the reason he disbanded the band, but as almost proof that the band had gown "stale", which was what he needed to leave and go his own direction.  At least that's how I see it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1909 on: August 25, 2021, 06:59:21 PM »

Which song?

The Incident (the complete song). The vibe and flow came out better. Octane Twisted (the album) remains on decent rotation. As far as the individual songs go, I love Circle of Manias and Drive the Hearse.

They didn't play the whole suite the one I time saw them in 2010 (they played the first five songs to start off the show and then I Drive the Hearse later in the show), but I would imagine it would have slayed live to see it from start to finish.

I'll throw my hat in as someone who also thinks The Incident is quite good and definitely underrated.  It doesn't help, that SW himself, appears to be underwhelmed by it and uses it as, well not the reason he disbanded the band, but as almost proof that the band had gown "stale", which was what he needed to leave and go his own direction.  At least that's how I see it.

I cannot remember his exact comments, but it seems like he was getting bored with the harder rock edge and felt like he did The Incident to keep that sound going rather than still doing what he was all-in on, if that makes sense.  The results were still damn good, but I get it if he wasn't feeling it anymore.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1910 on: August 26, 2021, 02:17:25 AM »
I remember SW saying something like "every other album turned out great and every other turned out disappointing" so that would not only mean he was disappointed with The Incident but also that he wasn't fully happy with Deadwing or Lightbulb Sun either which I find more surprising. :p

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1911 on: August 26, 2021, 06:23:44 AM »
I remember him saying that.  I think he didn't like Shallow that much in hindsight, and he's out there enough to where he probably thinks that is a stain on the whole record.  Wilson is definitely a guy who can be very self-critical rather than being starry-eyed by his own work and thinking it was all pure magic.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1912 on: August 26, 2021, 07:18:46 AM »
Shallow is good. There's several songs from Deadwing I prefer it to. Yeah it's a big dumb rock song but it's a GOOD big dumb rock song!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1913 on: September 06, 2021, 03:34:34 PM »
"Porcupine Tree is very special thing to me. I'm sure we're gonna make another record."

https://youtu.be/vg-mPnyL4-I?t=3183

Obviously nothing is confirmed or set in stone, but it's good to know that this seems more likely than ever now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1914 on: September 06, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »
"Porcupine Tree is very special thing to me. I'm sure we're gonna make another record."

Obviously nothing is confirmed or set in stone, but it's good to know that this seems more likely than ever now.

It’s very telling that he mentions what Gavin is doing at the moment, then he talks about how Richard is doing his solo stuff, and then….. ya.

I know we kind of received confirmation that Colin was out because of that “Porcupine Three” legal rearrangement that we all just saw, but it’s still kind of sad to hear the confirmation that Stephen won’t even mention his name at this point.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1915 on: September 06, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »
I remember him saying that.  I think he didn't like Shallow that much in hindsight, and he's out there enough to where he probably thinks that is a stain on the whole record.  Wilson is definitely a guy who can be very self-critical rather than being starry-eyed by his own work and thinking it was all pure magic.

I actually agree with Wilson.

Shallow does bring that album down. For me, it's the vocals in the verses. I also do not enjoy Halo, but it does fit in the overall sound of the album, more so than Shallow. So Called Friend actually would work well too right after/before Halo.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1916 on: September 06, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »

It’s very telling that he mentions what Gavin is doing at the moment, then he talks about how Richard is doing his solo stuff, and then….. ya.

I know we kind of received confirmation that Colin was out because of that “Porcupine Three” legal rearrangement that we all just saw, but it’s still kind of sad to hear the confirmation that Stephen won’t even mention his name at this point.

I noticed that. I always thought it was odd that Colin was the one member that Steven never did anything with post-PT. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: September 06, 2021, 04:52:58 PM »
Do they have a history of not getting along? Colin's playing has always fit Porcupine Tree perfectly and he'll be missed if he isn't there for the new record, whenever it does come out.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1918 on: September 06, 2021, 05:25:00 PM »

I haven't listened to the interview yet, but what did I miss about Colin and legal rearrangement? What happened that he's at odds with SW?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1919 on: September 06, 2021, 05:28:32 PM »

I haven't listened to the interview yet, but what did I miss about Colin and legal rearrangement? What happened that he's at odds with SW?

Posted here not too long ago, there’s a new legal entity that’s a part of public record. The corporation is called Porcupine Three and the only parties are Stephen, Gavin, and Richard.

EDIT TO ADD - Beyond that, I don’t know that there’s been any public comment on exactly what happened. But it’s basically the same situation that we have with Haken and their keyboardist. It’s public record that he’s legally out of the band, but there’s been no confirmation or announcement or statement of any kind from any of the parties involved.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1920 on: September 06, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »

Posted here not too long ago, there’s a new legal entity that’s a part of public record. The corporation is called Porcupine Three and the only parties are Stephen, Gavin, and Richard.

EDIT TO ADD - Beyond that, I don’t know that there’s been any public comment on exactly what happened. But it’s basically the same situation that we have with Haken and their keyboardist. It’s public record that he’s legally out of the band, but there’s been no confirmation or announcement or statement of any kind from any of the parties involved.
Ah OK. BTW, still haven't gotten into Haken yet, but I will, but I'm surprised to read that about Diego.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1921 on: September 06, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
Edwin's bass playing will definitely be missed if he is not part of the band anymore, but it is still great to hear that something is likely.  I am someone who was fine with the band ending, and has loved his solo career, but if Wilson wants to put (most of) the band back together again, I am all for it. 

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1922 on: September 06, 2021, 06:18:37 PM »
Well, if Colin is out, time to call Geddy about recording an album. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1923 on: September 07, 2021, 03:00:17 AM »
Porcupine Tree has some great basslines. I always wondered if Steven, as the sole writer for most songs, came up with them, or if Colin added his own ideas. If the latter is the case, Colin will be sorely missed.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1924 on: September 07, 2021, 03:29:10 AM »
I feel like it was yesterday that Wilson claimed there is no chance Porcupine Tree will get back together. He was so adamant about it. I wonder what has changed.