Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226341 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1750 on: September 28, 2016, 02:38:42 PM »
FoaBP >>> FoaBP

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1751 on: September 28, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1752 on: September 29, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
After 4½ years this thread title still makes me laugh when I see it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1753 on: September 29, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »
That's so funny, I was thinking the same thing as I clicked to see what you had posted :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1754 on: October 11, 2016, 05:17:41 AM »
John Wesley released his new solo album last Friday and I reviewed it. Not a spectacular album, but there's plenty of ear candy for guitar players.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: April 07, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Great interview with Richard Barbieri: https://www.innerviews.org/inner/richard-barbieri

He also touches upon the topic of PT, saying he doesn't expect a reunion, and he thinks they should've had the hiatus after FOABP. Apparently the Incident tour was a rough time for many of them, with family members passing away and stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1756 on: April 07, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
Interesting interview.

It's still a bit sobering to see PT talked about in past tense, but it's been eight years since The Incident. :eek :eek

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1757 on: April 07, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »
Interesting interview.

It's still a bit sobering to see PT talked about in past tense, but it's been eight years since The Incident. :eek :eek

Wow...8 years til September. That kind of blows my mind that it has been THAT long since the last PT album.  :o

That was a weird time for me for bands that I liked - Transatlantic had just broken their 8 years hiatus with a new album, and little did I know, PT was putting out their last album. The Flower Kings were in the middle of what would eventually be a 5-year hiatus (though Roine never really acknowledged that they were on hiatus...we just kind of had to find that out until it took them 5 years to release a new album), and then less than a year later, Mike Portnoy would leave Dream Theater, after not having his way of DT going on a hiatus themselves. Lots of bands that I liked were going into or coming out of hiatuses, though I would've lost it if DT had at that point.

Either way, back to PT - I cannot fathom that it's been that long since The Incident. I still remember when it was new, and spinning it with a sense of "ehh, it's pretty alright". In retrospect, I agree with Richard in that FOABP would've been a far better album to go out on (or more technically, the Nil Recurring EP, both it and FOABP are some of the best material that band had ever written). Looking back, it almost feels like The Incident was a sort of unnecessary coda to an otherwise climactic ending to the band's career together. The build-up of In Absentia, through riding that wave with Deadwing, then FOABP's stellar albums, everything just seemed to get better and better, but TI has always felt like a step back to me. Part of me also wishes they had done just ONE MORE album, but ending at 10 satisfies me in a "that's a good round number" sense.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1758 on: April 07, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »
Couldn't agree more M. I still really don't like TI much at all, even though I'm not as gung-ho against it as I once was, I think that's just the indifference of time rather than me actually mellowing out on it. I haven't listened to it once in years though even though I still listen to PT fairly often, if that says anything (which it does).

Yeah, FoABP would have been an amazing closer. Really somber and of course the usual shit of "TIME MARCHES ON/AGING" shtick. Even though I'm 28 (or rather about to be this month), it still feels like I'm older than I am when I think of how long ago TI was and how insane the perception of time is.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1759 on: April 07, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »
Eight years. Good god. I had gotten into modern prog music in 2007 with Dream Theater and was exploring various bands (new and old) for the next two years. PT was always on my radar but I never got around to it until 2009 when The Incident came out. That was my jumping-on point and I loved that album for the most part. Scooped up all of their albums over the next year and the Recordings reissue when that came out. And then I waited and waited. And I picked up Wilson's solo stuff but it never did much for me. And finally a year or so back when Wilson was doing interviews and referring to PT in the past tense did I realize that I had hopped on to a band on its final album.  :lol As the song title goes, time does indeed fly.

Recently picked up all the Blackfield albums except II though, so as soon as I get that last one I'll be giving those a go.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1760 on: April 08, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »
I loved The Incident to death when it came out, and still think it is pretty great and better than most think, but I will definitely concede that most of their other albums are better.  The 5-album run of Stupid Dream through Fear of a Blank Planet (not even counting the EPs, Recording, etc.) is just crazy good, and that is not even counting how great stuff like Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways was. 

If PT never does anything ever again, the only tragic thing for me will be that their last song ever was one of the few bland songs they ever did (Remember Me Lover).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: April 08, 2017, 04:54:42 PM »
Incredible that so much time has passed. I actually really enjoyed TI, none of SW work has clicked with me as much as PT did.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1762 on: April 15, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »
Its been a chill and laid back evening with Up the downstair. So damn good

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1763 on: April 15, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »
Good stuff. I don't revisit that CD nearly enough.  The original is still far superior to that mess of a remaster.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1764 on: April 16, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »
Good stuff. I don't revisit that CD nearly enough.  The original is still far superior to that mess of a remaster.

Really? The drums on the original are so tacky. I much prefer it with proper drums in the remaster.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1765 on: April 16, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
The fake drums are part of the charm.  And not only did Harrison did not play some of the coolest fills from the original correctly, he overplayed some of the parts.  A CD in the style of Up the Downstair does not need "busy" drum parts.

Plus, Wilson re-recorded the main riff in Burning Sky and completely sucked the life out of it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: April 16, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »
I love the Gavin Harrison remasters, maybe it's because that's what I heard first. There is a charm to the originals but I prefer the drums

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1767 on: April 17, 2017, 11:04:37 PM »

Really? The drums on the original are so tacky. I much prefer it with proper drums in the remaster.

When I was getting into PT, the remasters for their first four albums were all already out, so those are what I listened to the most, and so with UTD, I never really spun the original version. I don't think I could enjoy it now, though, as I have grown to accustomed to the remaster with the proper drums, and I really do enjoy Gavin's drummer anyway. Besides, it's what Steven wanted on his music anyway, right? It was just he had limitations at the time of release, and to be honest, I like hearing the older PT music with real drums, like hearing "Radioactive Toy" with Chris or Gavin on drums. Then again, I think being a drummer myself, I find their playing to be a bit more appealing to my ears than the drum machine Steven used on those early albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1768 on: April 18, 2017, 11:28:47 AM »
Really fortunate I got to see PT live. I saw them do a show in San Francisco at the tail end of The Incident tour with Karnivool opening, which was amazing.

What sucks is I had tickets twice before to see them (on the tour for Deadwing, and later, Fear of a Blank Planet), and I was sick both times and couldn't make it.  :tdwn :facepalm:

I got into them with In Absentia in summer 2003. Really sucks that they are for the most part, finished. Reading the comments from Steven Wilson, I get it. A band is a compromise, and PT was a band effort, even if he wrote most of the material -- he wrote it based on those guys, and took their wants into account (nice to hear too). But it's pretty obvious that if he can make a good living as a solo artist, and not have to rely on a band name, it's more to his liking.

Such a bummer. Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident are all incredible records (I am not so much into the pre-Stupid Dream material, but still like it), and for the band to just go away like it did, it really continues to bum me out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1769 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:34 AM »
I seen them twice, Deadwing tour being the best. I always thought it kind of strange that SW always performs barefoot, a bit of an artsy fartsy kind of thing.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »
I seen them twice, Deadwing tour being the best. I always thought it kind of strange that SW always performs barefoot, a bit of an artsy fartsy kind of thing.

It's apparently because he finds it easier to work his effects pedals. At this point, obviously, that's a lot less of a concern, so now it's down to the preference. That's how it started, though, according to him.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1771 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »

Pretty sure artsy fartsy was coined as a phrase for the express purpose of describing SW :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1772 on: April 20, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
I also was lucky enough to see them live. It was the incident tour and SW was pissed. The very first note of the very first song, he breaks a string. There was a whole bunch of sound problems. One the guitars wasn't in tune and he looked very unhappy.

Still one of the best shows I ever saw though. I was so damn happy to hear Anesthetize live. Mother of god, it was awesome

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1773 on: April 20, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »

Pretty sure artsy fartsy was coined as a phrase for the express purpose of describing SW :lol
  :lol. Uhh-hu-hu,, oh yeah.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1774 on: April 21, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
and for the band to just go away like it did, it really continues to bum me out.
Yea I miss them too, especially Gavin working with SW. His drumming worked so well in PTs music.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: April 21, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
and for the band to just go away like it did, it really continues to bum me out.
Yea I miss them too, especially Gavin working with SW. His drumming worked so well in PTs music.

This is one of the things I miss most.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1776 on: April 21, 2017, 05:32:12 AM »
I miss PT so much  :'(

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: May 07, 2019, 01:14:21 AM »
Bumping this because of reissue news, as there's a 4-disc edition of In Absentia coming out later this year, according to SW :caffeine: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwjsmZ4gRIV/

I also found pro-shot footage from the 2007 Cologne gig, including Waiting and The Sky Moves Sideways with Gavin on drums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtlC_dEJRI

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1778 on: May 07, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
Gavin Harrison often overplayed the crap out of PT material he played on originally, and I fear I would be really annoyed by him overplaying the pre-2002 material (kind of like how he ruined Hatesong live), so I ain't watching that. :lol :lol  He is to drums what JLB is to singing: great in the studio, very hit or miss live.

I will have to check out the details on that In Absentia SE, though. That is intriguing.   

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1779 on: May 07, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
Gavin Harrison often overplayed the crap out of PT material he played on originally, and I fear I would be really annoyed by him overplaying the pre-2002 material (kind of like how he ruined Hatesong live), so I ain't watching that. :lol :lol  He is to drums what JLB is to singing: great in the studio, very hit or miss live.

I will have to check out the details on that In Absentia SE, though. That is intriguing.

Gavin Harrison turned Hatesong into something worth listening.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1780 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:25 AM »

I agree. Gavin is the best thing about Hatesong live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1781 on: May 07, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »

Woah now, I don't have any opinions on the live version since I haven't heard it, but Hatesong is easily top three Porcupine Tree songs material.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1782 on: May 07, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »

Woah now, I don't have any opinions on the live version since I haven't heard it, but Hatesong is easily top three Porcupine Tree songs material.

Don't waste your time with the live version with Harrison; he ruins it.  He adds a ton of unnecessary fills, and the bad ass groove that is in the original version is non-existent. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1783 on: May 07, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
Hatesong is definitely a top3 PT song.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: May 07, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Hatesong with Gavin Harrison is definitely a top3 PT song.

fixt that