Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 225838 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1715 on: April 13, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
Oh i'm with you, my body is ready!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1716 on: April 13, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
Hearing the rock, in the form of hard riffs, creep back into SW's music on the last album and EP, I think it's time to get the boys back together and give us some new PT.  Who's with me? :coolio

Am I the only one here who doesn't care about a PT reunion? SW (omg same initials as me) pretty much writes all the music anyway. Not going to change much if he releases the music under his own name or PT's. I am aware that the other members of PT do contribute more than the corresponding members in SW's solo material, but I doubt the difference is huge.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1717 on: April 13, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
Have you.... listened to PT? There's a pretty clear difference.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating for PT to come back, but if they did, they definitely wouldn't sound like SW's current solo stuff.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1718 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
Have you.... listened to PT? There's a pretty clear difference.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating for PT to come back, but if they did, they definitely wouldn't sound like SW's current solo stuff.

Yeah, I know there's a difference, but even within PT's discography they change a ton so that makes it less of an issue. While SW's early solo stuff (Insurgents and GfD) aren't really like PT, Hand Cannot Erase does have elements of PT's late sound. I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that if PT made a new album soon, it wouldn't be stylistically that far from HCE as that's just where his head is at, just like how Up the Downstair came from a different mindset than Fear of a Blank Planet (yet are under the same band name, even though FoaBP is closer to SW's solo material than early PT).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1719 on: April 13, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
It's true that either project, SW solo or PT, will largely be dictated by SW and whatever he comes up with, but there are elements, quirks, etc. that are very much PT that we don't really hear in his solo work, and vice versa.

Plus, I have been cranking some IA/Deadwing/Fear this week, which got me itching for some new PT. :hat

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1720 on: April 13, 2016, 10:49:42 PM »
I don't really care if there's new PT or not at this point, but somebody who claims to be a reliable source told me they will be working on something soon which is why SW apparently said he wouldn't be working on a new solo album until next year. *shrug*
I'm not sure when he said that, but if it's true there are lots of other things he could be working on to distract from a solo album.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1721 on: April 13, 2016, 10:57:53 PM »
Steven has already started working on new stuff and has like 3 songs written so far, according to recent interviews. He also plans to release the record next year on his 50th birthday and make something special for the occasion. He also seemed to confirm new album will be more contemporary and electronic, and will use Ninet more than HCE :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1722 on: April 14, 2016, 12:46:58 AM »
Aww, posting in the PT thread made me think something was happening and it was just another solo album :<

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1723 on: April 14, 2016, 01:37:04 AM »
I want PT back.

I know it's all SW mainly, but there's some special chemistry (for lack of a better word) in PT that's missing in his solo work. While I enjoy his solo work, I would rank most of the PT discography above it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1724 on: April 14, 2016, 04:23:53 AM »
All I care about is PT and I miss them dearly.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: April 14, 2016, 06:03:17 AM »
I'm with you Phoenix. Solo Wilson is good but PT was great.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1726 on: April 14, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »
I'm a total newb to PT, but I like what I've heard so far.

I've been checking out some of their songs on YouTube, but last week I finally took the plunge and bought Deadwing. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here - wow, what a great song! Definitely the standout on the album for me, with Lazarus coming in second.

Any suggestions as to which album to pick up next?  :)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1727 on: April 14, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »
In before someone suggests In Absentia  ;D

So my suggestion would be: In Absentia, probably their best or at least their most popular.

I really like Stupid Dream, that's the record that got me hooked.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1728 on: April 14, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »
Fear of a Blank Planet, Signify and Stupid Dream would be my top3 PT albums, but I think your safest bet would be In Absentia or Lightbulb Sun.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1729 on: April 14, 2016, 08:04:35 AM »
Cool - thanks guys!  :tup

Will check out In Absentia..

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: April 14, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Yep, since you dig DW, you'll likely quite enjoy IA, FOABP, The Incident, and all their related b-sides/EPs. You may as well go in order.

After that I'd progress to Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings, probably in that order.

Aaaand then do Signify, proceeding backwards after that (TSMS, UTD, V34 then OTSOL & YHD last).

This is sorta the "metal centric" method of learning PT.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1731 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:47 AM »
Yeah, I'd say none of his solo stuff has done anything for me at all (barring maybe Luminol), so I'd love to have PT back. But I do get that he seems to really love this phase of his career and a lot of people love the solo albums, so I'm not holding my breath. They just don't strike my nerve the way I wish they would.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1732 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
I'm the same tried nearly all of his solo stuff and does nothing for me, while PT nearly always hit the spot for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1733 on: April 14, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
I'm a total newb to PT, but I like what I've heard so far.

I've been checking out some of their songs on YouTube, but last week I finally took the plunge and bought Deadwing. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here - wow, what a great song! Definitely the standout on the album for me, with Lazarus coming in second.

Any suggestions as to which album to pick up next?  :)

Yep, Deadwing is magnificent; that and Lightbulb Sun are 1a and 1b for me. Lazarus is one of my favorite songs ever for personal reasons, and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here might be the best song SW has ever written. :coolio

In Absentia is a great place to go next.  You pretty much can't go wrong with anything by PT (although the first album is very weird, which is part of its charm, but I'd save that one for last, since you've already started).

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1734 on: April 14, 2016, 11:56:19 PM »
I love Solo Wilson and PT... and would love more PT... but would also love more Solo Wilson.

:shrugs:

I like the later PT for the metal elements. I wouldn't mind another PT album and tour, and then Steven going back to his solo stuff.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1735 on: April 16, 2016, 07:33:46 AM »
I'll take more SW no matter how I get it. Damn, that makes me sound like a whore for him, doesn't it? :lol

I think The Raven is one of his best three albums ever, along with Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun, and I'd put Grace for Drowning in possibly the top 5, with Hand Cannot Erase (insert periods :lol) not far behind.

It's extremely difficult to rank the best PT albums after DW and LS.  Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Fear of a Black Planet, Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways are all so freaking awesome and pretty consistent in quality.  I still love The Incident more than most, but even I will agree now that it is probably one of the least best PT records, which speaks volumes to how good their catalogue is, when an album that good is one of the two or three least best.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1736 on: April 16, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
Let's just change the thread title to "Porcupine Tree vs. Steven Wilson".

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1737 on: April 16, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
Aww, posting in the PT thread made me think something was happening and it was just another solo album :<

Same although if the gang did get back together I think we're at the point in SW's career where there wouldn't be much of a sound difference between his solo stuff and any new PT. I could be dead wrong but that's just my gut.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1738 on: April 16, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
I don't know, I don't think any of his solo stuff has that PT feeling. It feels different. Some of it is different in a good way, some of it is different in a bad way, but the "magic" that PT had is something he could never do on his own.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1739 on: April 16, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »
I want both worlds. It not like Steven takes any time off anyway.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #1740 on: September 26, 2016, 07:14:06 PM »
So, I was watching the making of Deliverance by Opeth and I saw how much work Steven Wilson helped produced and I had heard about Porcupine Tree, but never heard any of their songs. Is there any albums or songs you'd recommend to get into this band?

I usually like to listen to debut albums and go up from there, but when I listened to Porcupine Tree's debut (the first and second song,) I was turned off.

Any suggestions?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1741 on: September 26, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear of a Black Planet
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1742 on: September 26, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »
^This.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1743 on: September 26, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
I usually like to listen to debut albums and go up from there, but when I listened to Porcupine Tree's debut (the first and second song,) I was turned off.

Haha yeah that's not a really good place to start. Go with In Absentia and Deadwing.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1744 on: September 26, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
I want PT back.

I know it's all SW mainly, but there's some special chemistry (for lack of a better word) in PT that's missing in his solo work. While I enjoy his solo work, I would rank most of the PT discography above it.
I think they had a feel that his solo work doesn't have. And I miss Gavin's drums. I don't think I've seen another drummer who knows how to tune a drum quite like him
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1745 on: September 26, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
I want PT back.

I think they had a feel that his solo work doesn't have. And I miss Gavin's drums. I don't think I've seen another drummer who knows how to tune a drum quite like him

This is what I miss most on Steven's solo outings: Gavin. He plays for the song.  Love all the small details that adds to the music. It seems like Craig Blundell is bringing this nuance playing (with a bit more power) a bit more compared to Marco.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1746 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »
So, I was watching the making of Deliverance by Opeth and I saw how much work Steven Wilson helped produced and I had heard about Porcupine Tree, but never heard any of their songs. Is there any albums or songs you'd recommend to get into this band?

Any suggestions?

heh, you probably should have picked this band if you were going to do a one-band-only round in your roulette
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1747 on: September 27, 2016, 02:48:06 AM »
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear of a Black Planet

Definetely this.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1748 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »
good album.