Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb  (Read 226476 times)

Offline PolarizeMe

Re: Porcupine Tree v. Glarung is a Lightbulb
« Reply #1680 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
I'm listening to Coma Divine right now, and I agree that it's probably their most pristine live album performance wise and production wise IMO, even more so than Anesthetize where the technology for live recording/post-production was more advanced.

I wish that SW would've included previously unreleased songs on the Coma Divine reissue. As far as I know, the songs that were added in were previously released on an EP 2 years after the original release. According to SW himself, Voyage 34 (including one of the only performances of Phase II) is one of the songs that remains in the vault. And according to setlist.fm, the remaining songs that also got shelved are Idiot Prayer, Stars Die, The Nostalgia Factory, Dark Matter, Burning Sky, the only performances of Every Home Is Wired (it was played only at the last two Coma Divine shows) and the alleged abysmal PT song, Cryogenics (which was an instrumental if I recall).

SW did say that they used only the recordings from the last two nights as the recording from the first night had technical glitches, but Not Beautiful Anymore was actually played at the first night only, thus contradicting his statement. Maybe it was the only song that was salvaged from the first night.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1681 on: April 25, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »
Was there ever any pro-shot video done of any pre-IA shows?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1682 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »
I'm looking through a complete SW disgography PDF that some fan made up, and here's what I found regarding any pro-shot video pre-IA era...

- Three video recordings of shows from 1994-1995 that were labeled as promo videos for Delerium Records, but I have no clue if they're pro-shot or not.
- A TV broadcast of Signify from the San Remo Rock Festival in 1997. I'm gonna go on a hunch and say this is a pro-shot video.
- A 1997 performance/interview for HELP TV in Italy.

I've never seen the first two I've mentioned, nor have I've seen any record of them circulating on the internet. I know that the HELP TV performance/interview is circulating somewhere. I've never seen it but I've heard some interesting stories about it. Apparently the interviewer interviewed SW and Richard Barbieri and was so obsessed with Richard Barbieri, he was acting like a groupie towards him!  :rollin

EDIT: I found the HELP TV performance; it's an unlisted video so I'm gonna post the link to it here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_X8TVQJAI
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:38:02 PM by PolarizeMe »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1683 on: April 25, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing that - I had only seen a little clip from the end of Dislocated Day before! I'll watch the whole thing when I've got time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1684 on: April 25, 2014, 10:57:03 PM »
THAT IS AN AWESOME FIND!!!

Still, I was thinking more of a complete concert pro-shot...but a TV appearance is probably the best I'm going to get.    But wow, what an awesome vid!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1685 on: April 26, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »
THAT FUCKING HAIR. JESUS FUCKING PIRATE COFFEE.

I would FUCK that hair. My sweet, sweet, Steven...holy shit. It's not real hair.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1686 on: April 26, 2014, 05:19:18 AM »
Not going to lie: Wilson looks terrifying in that video at the beginning, particularly when Barbieri is being interviewed.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1687 on: April 26, 2014, 06:04:54 AM »
So today I found (and picked up) In Absentia on vinyl from the local record store. They've never had PT vinyl before, but recently they brought in a few (Lightbulb Sun and The Incident), and when I saw IA, I just felt like another PT vinyl would be cool. It's not in my top3 PT albums or anything, but it's a great album, and I only had 2 vinyl with PT before, so at least I expanded my collection a bit.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1688 on: April 26, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
It's great when you find a PT vinyl at a local record store. At my local record store (which sadly closed earlier this month), I found at least 10 copies of Voyage 34 on vinyl lying around and I picked one up as the only PT vinyl I had up to that point was The Sky Moves Sideways.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1689 on: April 26, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
Not going to lie: Wilson looks terrifying in that video at the beginning, particularly when Barbieri is being interviewed.

Yeah, he does look kinda freaky throughout the video. He looks quite different than from today...quite so. He looks much better now, but I do wish he kept that Legolas (actually it puts Legolas' to shame) hair he had.

RIP DTP.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1690 on: April 26, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »

Yeah, he does look kinda freaky throughout the video. He looks quite different than from today...quite so. He looks much better now, but I do wish he kept that Legolas (actually it puts Legolas' to shame) hair he had.
TBH, he looks the same to me except for the long hair and lack of glasses. I'm quite convinced that he hasn't aged that much since the late 80s/early 90s.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1691 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:11 AM »
I was checking out Lasse Hoiles website and the photos he taken of PT and for some reason I find this picture of Colin just hilarious:

Something about his profile and that stare.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1692 on: April 28, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »
That is kind of creepy!
True story: Lasse Hoile contacted me on Facebook to ask if he could use a photo of my "Harmony Korine"-inspired tattoo on his website, but I didn't get it until two years later because I didn't know FB had an "other" message folder for people who aren't connected to you  :|
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1693 on: April 28, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
Oh shit....maaaaan fuck that facebook. That's both awesome and extremely horrible.

But yeah, he kind of looks like a doll. Although I don't know how it's funny.

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Is Colin ever not smiling? :lol
That is kind of creepy!
True story: Lasse Hoile contacted me on Facebook to ask if he could use a photo of my "Harmony Korine"-inspired tattoo on his website, but I didn't get it until two years later because I didn't know FB had an "other" message folder for people who aren't connected to you  :|
Wow, that sucks :(

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1695 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
Is Colin ever not smiling? :lol
He always have this straight face and relaxed look when he plays and I love that. I think that's why I found it funny, here he have kind of the same expression off stage.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1696 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
I've mentioned this a couple times..

But..

The Incident is REALLY fucking good, I wish it got more love around here.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: July 17, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
I enjoy it, to me a lot of it is filler but there are some true gems on there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1698 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
I've always been a big fan of it, so you won't get much argument from me.  The only problem is, while I think it's pretty great, PT probably has six or seven albums I like better.  Of course, that's a good problem to have, cause how many bands can say their 8th best album for example, is as great as The Incident?  Not many.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1699 on: July 17, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
The Incident is kinda like a not-as-good Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall. When you listen to it in one sitting, it's pretty great and enjoyable, but taking out individual highlights is almost impossible. I would say The Incident is like a 3.5 out of 5, or a B, and compared to most of their other albums, it's just one of the weaker ones.

I think I listened to it 35-40 times within the first 2-3 months when it came out, but only 3-4 times since then.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1700 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:37 PM »
Time Flies and I Drive The Hearse are the only two songs that I would consider highlights on their own. I gave it another for the first time in awhile and it's a great album, and worth the time and effort to listen in one sitting, however it's probably the weakest of the post-In Absentia albums. Likewise, I listened to Deadwing for the first time in awhile a few days ago, and thought it was WAY better than I remembered. If we include the B-sides and the Deadwing version of Shesmovedon on a proposed 2nd disc, IMO it would've been a better double album than The Incident.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1701 on: July 17, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
I still think it's a tad better than Fear of a Black Planet, although I think Fear/Nil Recurring combined are better than The Incident as a whole. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1702 on: July 17, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
I still think it's a tad better than Fear of a Black Planet, although I think Fear/Nil Recurring combined are better than The Incident as a whole.

Pretty much this. I can't listen to the regular FOABP album anymore - it HAS to be with the Nil Recurring tracks mixed in like on the LP vinyl version.

The Incident is good, but just good. Of their albums with Gavin, it's my least favorite but still pretty good as far as music goes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1703 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:42 PM »
I like The Incident a lot, but it's always been their most underwhelming to me. Fear of a Blank Planet I listened to today (along with Nil) and it doesn't quite have the same magic it did in the beginning, but I still like it more than TI...

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1704 on: August 20, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
Just wondering what the other guys in the band are up to since Wison left the band.  Too bad they will probably not tour or put out another cd together with Wilson.   Great, another band I will probably never get to see live along with Haken and more than likely DT.

BTW Russia on Ice is a great song!

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1705 on: August 20, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
Those words. They seem to be covered in your feces. At least the first half. Where did you get that Wilson left PT, or that they weren't ever going to tour again with him? What?  :lol

I mean, it'll be a while before we see anything PT related...I think that's been known for a long while now, and it's not changing anytime soon. Hell, maybe you'll eventually be right, but that's a ways off. Hiatus doesn't mean disband. I'd say another few years before we even hear serious talk of PT (aside from answering the clamoring fans/interviews/etc).

(By the bye, PT will not exist without Wilson. For as nice as the guy is, he's not gonna let that go. Not a chance. No Wilson, no PT. Either that or they go instrumental)

RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1706 on: August 20, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I was more optimistic a few years ago, but with the pace Steven Wilson's releasing solo albums right now it really doesn't seem like he's interested in doing another PT album.

I really hope they at least tour again, new album or not. I've never seen them live before and I really want to.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1707 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »
It was a good call on my part to see PT live at their (as of now) final American show back in 2010 even though I was only a fan of the band/SW for less than a year at the time. That special 3 hour show was an experience that would always be remembered by those who saw it in NYC or in London.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1708 on: August 20, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »
I just think it's not doing fans any favors and that people are applying these thoughts as apparent facts. All indications from the word of Wilson say that he's taking a break. Plenty of bands have taken breaks for a handful of years to come back (granted, the quality of the band post-break up re-band is debatable); it'd be understandable if he was old and grey, but it's not like Wilson is gonna stop music anytime soon. At least, I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he did; he's still quite young and with the music that he makes, he could play well into his latter-years if he wants to. It seems like he's in his prime in terms of what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. He's exploring that and if his moods at concerts are any indication, he's still got a massive hard on for what he's doing. I'd say that is much better than him continuing PT without any motivation or inspiration.

I just don't get the hub bub. They'll either get back together or not, but there is absolutely no evidence that they're done for good. Zero. Wilson has stated time and time again that he's doing his own thing and will see how things come together when the time is right. With a band as long-running as PT and for how well the guys seem to work together, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least come back for one more send-off album. (P.S. If you want sources, Google it yourself; I'm going to feed the masses).

RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1709 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
I don't think a new PT will ever happen, but it would be a dream. At this point I don't see why SW would want to go back to a band where he will always be bound to certain limits compared to his solo project where he can do whatever he wants. The only reason I could see him go back is either that he really misses the guys in PT and wants to make music with them, or that he wants to make up for the disappointment that was The Incident, which he himself in interviews said wasn't as good as he thought it would be. So maybe he wants to improve upon that and end the PT chapter with something better in his own eyes.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1710 on: August 20, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »
But George, he's also said he wants to move towards production stuff and away from making his own music. So I'm not saying it's definite, but I'm not expecting another PT album at this point. And I'm okay with that, cause I love his solo stuff. But I will be bummed if he stops writing his own music completely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1711 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »
I don't think he'd do that.  His mind is seemingly always overflowing with creative ideas and you can't just turn that off. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1712 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »
We also have to remember how fast SW changes his stance on different matters. Just a couple of years ago he was hating on bands writing 70's esque progressive rock, and he called bands like Transatlantic and Riverside "regressive", and talked about how progressive rock bands should be going forward and not backwards, and try to bring new life into the genre. Then he changed his mind and we got Grace For Drowning and Raven.

So even though there has been several interviews of him saying PT isn't on the radar, that he doesn't know what will happen, some day we might just get an announcement out of the blue.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: March 29, 2016, 04:18:55 AM »
Blast from the past - I found good-quality footage of a Dutch festival gig PT played in 1994 on YT:

Up the Downstair
Always Never
Radioactive Toy
Burning Sky
Not Beautiful Anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1714 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
Hearing the rock, in the form of hard riffs, creep back into SW's music on the last album and EP, I think it's time to get the boys back together and give us some new PT.  Who's with me? :coolio

Note: I still love his solo work to death and will still be behind him 100% if he continues down that path.