5 (20.8%)
Tax software
7 (29.2%)
Do it yourself
10 (41.7%)
Other
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Tax Time!  (Read 882 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Tax Time!
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:13:43 AM »
I decided to do mine myself this year.  Last year (2010) was messy as I had 2 different jobs, was unemployed for half the year, and had 2 residences with my new job.  This year is much easier, and I figured I would do it myself and save a few bucks.  Last time I did it myself was 6 or 7 years ago, and I used the 1040EZ form.

I've finished filling out the 1040A form, and am fairly certain it is accurate, but there are some things I am still unsure about.

How is everyone else faring?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Tax Time!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
My taxes are always really simple, so I just do it myself.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:53:25 AM »
I use TurboTax despite it being a giant ripoff. It's just damn convenient ti import your previous tax return.

Already did my taxes in February. Old new is old news.  ;D

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
My taxes are always really simple, so I just do it myself.

Yup.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »
I use TurboTax despite it being a giant ripoff. It's just damn convenient ti import your previous tax return.

Already did my taxes in February. Old new is old news.  ;D

rumborak

Exactly this. TurboTax is really convenient and easy to use. I could do it myslef easily enough, but it's worth the money for the convenience. I've already had my return for a month or so.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
Mine aren't that complicated, but they're complicated enough that it's just easier to have someone else do them for me.  It saved me a ton of time.  She just sends us a worksheet that has all of last year's data, and we just make the appropriate changes in the column for this year, attach all of the backup (W-2, 1099's, 1098's, etc.), and she does the rest.  Makes it pretty easy, and if I make a mistake and put something in the wrong place on one of the schedules, she picks up on it pretty quickly.  It's hard to imagine going back to doing it myself unless I could just go back to a straight 1040 with no schedules.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
I've always done my own, and each of the last two years the government auditted me and sent me MORE money than I had coming back to me on my tax form.  I don't know what tax credit I'm missing so hopefully they audit me again :)

Offline jasc15

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
I thought this would be a good skill to have.  I like to learn things on my own, and being an engineer it's almost insulting for me to yield this supposedly simlple task to someone else.  Alas, this is the IRS we are dealing with, so with the countless cross references, I realized that I need to fill out a different 1040 because of my health savings account. (this is why you hire a professional, but I am stubborn this year)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
TurboTax is really convenient and easy to use. I could do it myslef easily enough, but it's worth the money for the convenience. I've already had my return for a month or so.

I've always done my own. I thought getting married, buying a house, having a kid, and having multiple retirement accounts would make it more complicated, but it hasn't. I don't mind paying TurboTax for the convenience, especially sicne I get a discount through USAA.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »
Mine have done been did for a while now.  Turbo Tax all the way here too.  Also this year rather than just blowing our tax return on fun toys like we usually would we decided to just leave it alone and let it be an extra cushion in the 'ol savings account.  Feels good man.  We're growing up!

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
I've got a family friend who does mine plus my (almost) wifeys.

Offline j

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
I do my own.  They're relatively simple since my wife and I have very little income and virtually no assets, but I guess that will change soon.

Also my buddy is a CPA so I can just run crying to him if it gets too complicated.

-J

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »
I got them done on campus. A student does them and their boss checks it. I got a very nice return which paid for my iPad and had leftover.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
I pay someone.  They already have my information in their system and it takes about a half hour.  If something is done wrong, it's on them not me.  Well worth it for peace of mind.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
I do mine myself.  Just sent it in this past Wednesday /fogeywhostillmailsthings  :biggrin:
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »
Did you know that you're supposed to file sales tax for things you buy online?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jasc15

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 06:32:28 AM »
In some states you can choose to deduct sales tax or state income tax, depending on which is higher.  Further, in order to do that you must itemize your deductions, which means if your itemizations (is that a word?) total less than $5800 for the year, it doesnt make sense to do that.

Someone who knows taxes better than I do please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »
Yep, but I'm pretty sure no one does.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
Been using Turbo Tax for about 6 years now, first time in 3 years I'm actually getting money back instead of owing, but to show you how bad our payroll department is here I had them bump my deductions up to 8 (I have 5) so I could have more $$$ paycheck to paycheck and I still got a refund. I mentioned it to HR and they told me they know that payroll is not as efficient as they need to be

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
I pay my family attorney, who has a tax lawyer on his team, to prepare our taxes. My taxes are always complicated with rent income, investments and dividends in addition to our salaries, so it's just easier and gives me more peace of mind to have a professional take care of it all. As a matter of fact, I just faxed E-File authorization to him yesterday, so all is done and good this year.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jasc15

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
Since I started this thread, I already re-did my taxes.  I was under the impression that my health savings account contributions were already deducted from my gross pay.  Since they werent, I needed to fill out a regular 1040 (which has a separate line for HSA deduction) instead of the 1040A (which did not).  I went from owing ~60 to a refund of ~300.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
Just got an email from our preparer about our refund.  Good news.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeah, we got a nice refund as well, from both the Feds and the state. Now just comes waiting for the deposit to show on my account.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:57:41 AM »
I submitted my taxes yesterday using software. As a student, I make almost no money so it's a very simple process. Today I got an e-mail saying what I sent had been rejected because my 2010 AGI didn't match what they had in their records. I then called the IRS and the automated voice system told me to put "0" for my 2010 AGI. I'm so confused by all this.

Hopefully everything will go through smoothly now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!