Author Topic: Mobile phones and reception advice  (Read 872 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Mobile phones and reception advice
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:17:44 AM »
Hey mates,

In my house, I have shit reception on both my mobile phones.  Because I am on an on call roster at work, I need to solve this problem.  Over the last couple of nights, I have missed calls and they have been then diverted to someone else, therefore I get my assed kicked for not answering my phone.  I didn't even ring.

I tested it out and when I try and call (when I can get some reception)  it won't even connect and goes to message bank.  I have had a friend try and call also, and they say it doesn't even ring. My phones also are old Nokias which are almost extinct.

My questions are, should I change service providers?  Should I ring my current service provider for advice?  And does the type of phone depend on the reception?  If I get an up to date iphone or something will that make the reception better.

I am a total n00b when it comes to mobile phones, I hate them.  Thanks for any help.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Mobile phones and reception advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »
not sure how many of us would have advice for your locale.  Could be the phone; could be the network; could be a dead spot from the carrier in your house and surrounding area.  There's a spot that I used to routinely drive - major road, middle of the city - that was a dead zone.  Zero reception.  It happens.

How about text messaging?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:12 AM »
I'd get some friends over to test their phones in your house. If their phones work, and they have different phones but the same network, then it's your phone. If they're on different networks, you could probably try some sim swapping to help narrow it down to either the phone or the network/area.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »
This thread is blobbed.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
not sure how many of us would have advice for your locale.  Could be the phone; could be the network; could be a dead spot from the carrier in your house and surrounding area.  There's a spot that I used to routinely drive - major road, middle of the city - that was a dead zone.  Zero reception.  It happens.

How about text messaging?

Fair enough, it's definitely a dead spot, so dead that text messages won't even come through.  I'm thinking it could be the phones.  My work phone completely doesn't work and my personal phone works just a little better, but not reliable.

I'd get some friends over to test their phones in your house. If their phones work, and they have different phones but the same network, then it's your phone. If they're on different networks, you could probably try some sim swapping to help narrow it down to either the phone or the network/area.

My old man is on a different carrier and has perfect reception in the same area.  I think it could be a combination of the phones and the service.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
Almost extinct nokia phones have almost extinct crappy transmitters. I had a similar situation in my house where data is dropped  because I have a barely capable connection, and upgrading from a low end old dumphone to a smartphone drastically increased its strength into usable levels.

However like the above said it could be just very poor location to your cellular providers tower. If it is that the area just has poor reception and an upgrade wont help, then you could invest in a smaller cellular repeater to mount in your house/roof.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the response Rex.  I thought it might be the phones, as I'm looking to upgrade anyway, I might get an iphone of something. 

Also, have monitored my reception outside my house, and it's perfect on both my nokias.  So it's obviously just inside my house where I can't get any reception at all, weird.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
You live in a bunker?

Or maybe you should think about getting rid of all that asbestos.  Could be hazardous to your health too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
We have some issues at my office with 3G mobile reception and we deployed two of these on the roof - problem solved.

I don't know if you can do this where you live or not, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
You live in a bunker?

Or maybe you should think about getting rid of all that asbestos.  Could be hazardous to your health too.

Our house is only 1 year old.  :|