Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 6591 times)

Kosmo

Kony 2012
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
So I don't know how many of you know about Joseph Kony, he's a guerrilla group leader in Uganda who abducts children from their homes and makes the boys soldiers and the girls sex slaves. It's estimated that over 66 000 children have been abducted since the rebellion begun.

There's a movement to make Kony famous so he can be captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=g-all&context=G2608787FAAAAAAAAHAA

^ Watch that, it's a great video on the matter.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »
my wife had just finished watching that via facebook.  what little I caught of it sounded interesting

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:33 AM »
This is blowing up my twitter/facebook feeds. Very moving indeed
May The Force Be With You.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Well, that's very irritating.

The story is absolutely sad and true but its background is really irritating. I feel myself very bad. I also share this video via facebook and twitter. Plus, some of social website I've been in. Feedbacks are coming, sad that many people don't know him and his crimes.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:53:32 AM »
I'm very skeptical of Invisible Children.  The LRA hasn't even been active in Uganda since 2006.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
https://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Another version of the story.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
As much as the video makes me want to help this article does speak a lot of truth about the issue as well.
https://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

Offline Millais

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
think hard about the video which you’ve just watched. Invisible Children isn’t exactly the most transparent charity in the world, though for me the problem doesn’t lie with the charities funding/how they spend their money (obviously they’ve done quite well here because they’ve chosen to spend a large amount on this film which has generated a huge amount of awareness).

The problem lies with one of the main principles of the charity. Quite a lot of the funds which the IC receive go directly to the Ugandan military (who aren’t exactly transparent either, there are countless cases of rape & corruption) which are meant to start/increase military operations against Kony. IMO donations really shouldn’t be used to support any form of military intervention - especially from any foreign country because ultimately that becomes pretty dangerous. I’m not sure what, but there needs to be an alternate strategy for achieving his arrest.

Edit: Only ~30% of the money donated goes anywhere. the rest is admin, pretty unbelievable. the money that does go somewhere isn't for a good cause either.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
I'm sorry, but this documentary is absolutely difficult for me to get through. It's clear cut sensationalism.

I completely recognize the issue as something that needs to be taken care of, but this documentary acts as if there is nothing else in the world to be concentrated on other than this Kony mother fucker. But the presentation was very lame, if you ask me. Especially the interview with the director's son. I feel like I'm watching one of those Sarah Mclachlan animal cruelty videos.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
I'm sorry, but this documentary is absolutely difficult for me to get through. It's clear cut sensationalism.

I completely recognize the issue as something that needs to be taken care of, but this documentary acts as if there is nothing else in the world to be concentrated on other than this Kony mother fucker. But the presentation was very lame, if you ask me. Especially the interview with the director's son. I feel like I'm watching one of those Sarah Mclachlan animal cruelty videos.
Throw in the fact that Kony hasn't been active in Uganda since 2006, and you've got a slightly fishy situation.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
The Ugandan government has done some things on an equally horrific level as Kony/LRA. Gloss over the facts more.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
The Ugandan government has done some things on an equally horrific level as Kony/LRA. Gloss over the facts more.
Right, but the entire video is dedicated to Kony...
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »
That group has given money to the Ugandan army/government.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »
That group has given money to the Ugandan army/government.
Can you be more specific as to what side you're arguing for? I don't know if you're disagreeing with me or adding to what I've already stated is wrong with the video.  :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »
I think you guys agree.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:59 AM »
I think you guys agree.

My OG post was aimed at the video, not you UMH!  :facepalm: I should have quoted the OP or something. My bad, homes!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:33:33 AM by snapple »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:28 AM »
sigh... It makes me sad that the first instinct of people is to criticize the charity and not any of the horrific things that happen over in Africa.

Invisible Children's response to the critiques:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 06:51:13 AM »
Good job reading the posts.

What is happening over there is awful. But, the charity donates to the Ugandan army. The same Ugandan army that is guilty of the same shit the LRA has done.

I'm not giving an organization like Invisible Children a fucking penny.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:08 AM »
Good job reading the link I posted...

Re: Ugandan government human rights record

We do not defend any of the human rights abuses perpetrated by the Ugandan government or the Ugandan army (UPDF). None of the money donated through Invisible Children ever goes to the government of Uganda. Yet the only feasible and proper way to stop Kony and protect the civilians he targets is to coordinate efforts with regional governments.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:10:56 AM »
That VisibleChildren tumblr has sources for their money going to the Ugandan military.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
I'm not giving an organization like Invisible Children a fucking penny.
Unfortunately, they are going to rake in big-time with all this heartstring pulling.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
And next week people will completely forget about it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »
If you feel Invisible Children, Inc. is dodgy, don't donate. It's that simple. Spend a few minutes to contact politicians or celebrities instead. Regardless, I don't believe that Kony is not a real problem. I have no issue giving them my money to educate and inform and keep this topic in the public eye. Also, because of their efforts, I can only imagine all the additional money other charities with similar focus will also benefit.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »
My fb friends were annoying with posting that repeatedly yesterday:

Offline Millais

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
sigh... It makes me sad that the first instinct of people is to criticize the charity and not any of the horrific things that happen over in Africa.

Well, one of the good things that has come from this video is the huge amount of awareness that is has raised. If you are going to donate, it's probably best to not to it through the IC however, only ~32% of donations actually go anywhere and even though they say it's not going to the Ugandan Government, they didn't specifically state that they're not contributing to the Ugandan military.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
Raising awareness is fine, but don't start a charity under the guise that you are actually helping these kids.  Say you're raising awareness.

Also, it's fine to bitch about IC, but does any one know of any alternatives?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »

Well, one of the good things that has come from this video is the huge amount of awareness that is has raised. If you are going to donate, it's probably best to not to it through the IC however, only ~32% of donations actually go anywhere and even though they say it's not going to the Ugandan Government, they didn't specifically state that they're not contributing to the Ugandan military.

RE: 32%

https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html
Invisible Children's mission is to stop LRA violence and support the war-affected communities in East and Central Africa. These are the three ways we achieve this mission; each is essential:

1) Make the world aware of the LRA. This includes making documentary films and touring them around the world so that they are seen for free by millions of people.
    2) Channel energy from viewers of IC films into large-scale advocacy campaigns to stop the LRA and protect civilians.
    3) Operate programs on the ground in LRA-affected areas that provide protection, rehabilitation and development assistance.

As you will see, we spend roughly one third of our money on each of these three goals. This three-prong approach is what makes Invisible Children unique. Some organizations focus exclusively on documenting human rights abuses, some focus exclusively on international advocacy or awareness, and some focus exclusively on on-the-ground development. We do all three. At the same time. This comprehensive model is intentional and has proven to be very effective.

We are committed, and always have been, to be 100% financially transparent and to communicate in plain language the mission of the organization so that everyone can make an informed decision about whether they want to support our strategy.

Raising awareness is fine, but don't start a charity under the guise that you are actually helping these kids.  Say you're raising awareness.

Also, it's fine to bitch about IC, but does any one know of any alternatives?

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?keyword_list=uganda&Submit2=GO&bay=search.results

Offline Millais

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »

1) Make the world aware of the LRA. This includes making documentary films and touring them around the world so that they are seen for free by millions of people.
    2) Channel energy from viewers of IC films into large-scale advocacy campaigns to stop the LRA and protect civilians.
    3) Operate programs on the ground in LRA-affected areas that provide protection, rehabilitation and development assistance.
really the only one which matters in my opinion. sure, some of their budget needs to go towards raising awareness but 60%+?! nooo, it really isn't right.

https://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:19:24 AM by Millais »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
My fb friends were annoying with posting that repeatedly yesterday:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
Good job reading the link I posted...

Re: Ugandan government human rights record

We do not defend any of the human rights abuses perpetrated by the Ugandan government or the Ugandan army (UPDF). None of the money donated through Invisible Children ever goes to the government of Uganda. Yet the only feasible and proper way to stop Kony and protect the civilians he targets is to coordinate efforts with regional governments.
The problem is that while Kony seems to have been rendered irrelevant years ago, Yoweri Museveni is still busy being a tyrannical bastard.  It's all well and good to say that you don't support the current government of Uganda, but when you're focusing on a lesser problem than one still occurring, you're benefiting it greatly.  I'll give IC props for bringing attention to a real POS, and it's very possible that all of this attention might lead to him developing a case of bulletitis*,  but whether intentional or not, it's also serving as one helluva propaganda piece for Museveni.

*it's also conceivable that Kony feels the heat and rushes out to build a new army of kiddos to defend himself.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Millais

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
best read I've seen so far on the whole thing: https://t.co/IYGsKf2X

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
"There are many problems in Africa, but let's just choose the one that will affect people emotionally the most and we can put some evil villain face on so we can rake in some cash!!"

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »
Never heard of Rush Limbaugh before this, but holy fucking shit. OBAMA DID SOMETHING, QUICK, SHIT ON IT.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/10/14/obama_invades_uganda_targets_christians

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 07:23:25 AM »
I don't know what I found more appalling: the part in question which also involves him going into Libya, or every transcript after that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
Never heard of Rush Limbaugh before this, but holy fucking shit. OBAMA DID SOMETHING, QUICK, SHIT ON IT.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/10/14/obama_invades_uganda_targets_christians

:rollin at the caller