Author Topic: Systematic Chaos 5.1 (and if they should do more 5.1 releases in the future)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Ħ

I listened to this over winter break on my parents' sound system, which is pretty decent but not perfect. I haven't listened to any albums in 5.1 before, other than Grace For Drowning and Lightbulb Sun (which were both amazing). So maybe I don't know how to evaluate 5.1 quality just yet.

In my opinion, it sounded very sloppy and unrefined. The 'cloudiness' of the mix was made even more evident than it was in the stereo mix. It was through Dolby and not DTS, but I have no idea if that means anything.

What do other people think of SC on 5.1? And what do people think of the live albums that have been mixed this way? And should this be a medium for future albums?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline voncorn

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:32:31 PM by voncorn »

Offline Ħ

The 5.1 mix for SC was pretty damn underwhelming. Excluding live video stuff, I could care less if they do another 5.1 mix of any of their albums again.
I agree. If they're not really going to put that much effort into it, then why bother? It's apparently really easy for 5.1 to sound terrible.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges