Author Topic: Contraception  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Contraception
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »
But hey, at least we're not like those godless Russians!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »
https://ktar.com/6/1513927/Bill-allowing-employers-to-refuse-contraception-coverage-passes-AZ-House

PHOENIX -- The same fight that took ahold of the U.S. Congress is now raging on at the Arizona Legislature. However, the difference is this one looks like it'll end with a different result.

Rep. Debbie Lesko (R-Glendale) is pushing House bill 2625, which would allow employers to opt out of covering contraception in their company's health insurance plans if they are morally or ethically opposed to the use of birth control for whatever reason.

The bill is patterned after the Blunt Amendment that failed to pass through the U.S. Congress earlier this year. The amendment and HB 2625 both fight the Federal Government mandate for businesses, regardless of their religious affiliation, to provide women with the option to get contraception in health insurance coverage plans.

"We live in America. We don't live in the Soviet Union," Lesko said. "The government shouldn't be telling mom-and- pop employers and religious organizations to do something that's against the moral or religious beliefs. It's just not right."

However, the bill is drawing fire from several groups, including the ACLU. Women's privacy issues aside, the ACLU is concerned that the bill could hurt religious liberty instead of defending it.

"This bill goes well beyond defending religious rights," Anjali Abraham, policy director for the Arizona ACLU, said. "It's not defending rights to religious liberty. It allows employers to prioritize their own rights over the beliefs and the needs of their employees."

The ACLU is also concerned that this will be a violation of women's rights. Women who need to use contraceptive for health reasons would still be allowed to ask for coverage. However, they would have to inform their employers of why.

"Women shouldn't have to say why they need the contraceptives. That's their business," Abraham said.

For her part, Lesko says she has run the bill by people who understand HIPPA regulations concerning doctor/patient confidentiality, and it has passed muster. She says her bill won't prevent women from getting contraception, it just won't allow them to get it using their company's health plan.

"You can get birth control pills for a cheap price at most any store," Lesko said. "The generic version will only run you about $9. Why should there be coverage if it's that's cheap?"

HB 2625 has passed the House. The same result is expected in the Senate.

Not very surprising in The People's Republic of Arizona

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:21 AM »
Now that Snooki's pregnant, I wonder if Rick Santorum has changed his stance on contraception...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
Now that Snooki's pregnant, I wonder if Rick Santorum has changed his stance on contraception...

I doubt it. He hasn't changed his stance after looking in the mirror.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
Good point.  One would've hoped that'd be enough.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
I know I've probably mentioned this already, but he looks so much like a character Steve Carrell might impersonate/play that I think he (SC) might just have to pull a Tina Fey some time in the future.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 08:54:13 AM »
I can't believe that in 2012, politicians are still talking about contraception.  FFS.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »
 :facepalm: Arizona... this state embarrasses me