Author Topic: Congratulations Wilt Chamberlain  (Read 716 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Congratulations Wilt Chamberlain
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
50 years ago today you set an NBA record by scoring 100 points as your Philadelphia Warriors defeated the New York Knicks 169-147 in front of a meager crowd of 4,000+ in Hershey Pennsylvania. In the time since, no one has come any closer than the 81-point effort Kobe Bryant notched in 2006 so this appears to possibly be second only to Cy Young's career win total (511) in terms of records that seem to be safe for the long haul.

Let's appreciate!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Congratulations Wilt Chamberlain
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
Thought this would have been for that other... numerical milestone... he claimed for himself.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
In other news:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
Thought this would have been for that other... numerical milestone... he claimed for himself.

He was a big man who put up big numbers, on and off the court.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
Let's hear it for Wilt, who played with the Harlem Globetrotters before entering the NBA.

During his rookie season in the NBA he averaged 37.6 points and 27 rebounds per game.  This would be unthinkable nowadays.

During his second season, he set the all-time record of 55 rebounds in one game.  WTF

In the 1962 season, when he hit the 100-point mark in one game, he averaged 50.4 points per game, becoming the first and only NBA player to hit 4,000 points in one season.  In fact, the only other player to ever hit 3,000 points in one season was Michael Jordan in the 86-87 season.  He also averaged 48.53 minutes per game, another record that will never be broken.

After the NBA career, he took up volleyball.  Why not?  He also participated in several marathons.

Truly one of the most physically dominant players in the history of the game.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
Wilt was definitely the man, the unquestioned master of the court in his time and possibly for all time.  I remember watching him play sometimes on TV.  I've never been a huge sports fan, but my dad was, and I remember watching sports on TV all the time with my dad.