Author Topic: Can causality be used in arguments regarding "timeless" scenarios?  (Read 5421 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
This is a spinoff the latest religion discussion in the other thread. I ended up looking up the Wikipedia page of William Lane Craig, whose main work has apparently been the revival of the "Kalām cosmological argument":

1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause of its existence.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.

(Disclaimer: PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT THIS ARGUMENT SO MUCH, THE THREAD TOPIC IS DIFFERENT)

Here's the question I've been wondering on and off over the years: Physics has discovered the concept of spacetime, which binds the 3 spatial dimensions to the time dimension into one inextricable entity. Which however means, when one is talking about the genesis of a universe, can you use arguments of causality? Causality requires the concept of time (since it creates the ordering necessary to say the cause was "before" the effect), but if time is absent (because spacetime is absent), what sense does it make to look for a "cause" of the creation?

So, more generally, can the concept of causality "survive" in timeless settings? My gut feeling is it can't (incidentally rendering Craig's argument moot), but again, it's gut feeling. Opinions?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Re: Can causality be used in arguments regarding "timeless" scenarios?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
Like you said, both space and time started when the universe "began", so speaking of "before the universe" doesn't make sense. To put it in the words of Hawking: "Wondering what happened before the big bang is like looking for a place on earth south of the south pole. It just doesn't make sense."

I know this probably isn't what you were looking for but just thought I'd chime in.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »
From a logical standpoint I'd say your are right. If there is no time continuum then there can't be causality however what needs to be analyzed is whether physics is right about time and space being 1 inextricable entity. Isn't it possible that time has existed before space and when space came to exist both joined into one entity? Or the other way around?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
Isn't it possible that time has existed before space and when space came to exist both joined into one entity? Or the other way around?

Well, I have heard of "curled up" dimensions and I guess it could be conceived that the spatial dimensions "unrolled" during the Big Bang, whereas the time dimension existed beforehand.
But frankly, that seems like looking for an alternate explanation for the mere motivation of preserving the concept of causality. Just because we build our own existence on the concept of causality, we shouldn't avoid the possibility that causality isn't universal.
Besides, quantum mechanics has already shown experimentally that causality is a very malleable subject.  There's some hair-raising experimental results out there.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
Since all we've ever known is causality with time, we cannot say anything about causality without time.

It's like saying all we know is the natural world, therefore the supernatural doesn't exist, which is of course not a sound argument. It's kind of the same thing here. Can't prove or disprove - you have to withhold judgment.

In regards to what this means for Craig's argument, if you assume causality can exist without time, then the argument flows smoothly. The alternative, assuming causality cannot exist without time, gives you a contradiction where time doesn't actually have a beginning, an impossibility.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
Since all we've ever known is causality with time, we cannot say anything about causality without time.

I disagree, you're making it sound like it's a question of having "experienced" different causalities.
I mean, the very concept of causality has two events, A and B. For A to be considered the cause of B, it has to be before B, right? That ordering implies a flow of time.
I'm of course open to hearing a different definition of "cause" and "effect", but I don't see how they could work without an implicit ordering.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
TBH, this is the only issue I have with Craig's premises. I don't get it. But the reason I accept causality without time is that the proceeding conclusion of the alternate is false (time has no beginning).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »
But the reason I accept causality without time is that the proceeding conclusion of the alternate is false (time has no beginning).

I don't think that's the correct alternate conclusion. Time has a beginning (i.e. t=0), but the beginning doesn't have a cause (which would require t < 0)

rumborak

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:31 PM »
This is a spinoff the latest religion discussion in the other thread. I ended up looking up the Wikipedia page of William Lane Craig, whose main work has apparently been the revival of the "Kalām cosmological argument":

1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause of its existence.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.

rumborak

No, it's a horrible attempt to fit human logic into something we have no idea about. First of all, quantum mechanics sorta throws a wrench in the whole "causality" debate, anyways. Radiation sorta just occurs, yes it occurs according to a pretty stable behavior, and it's in relation with each other, and a whole bunch of other things I don't really understand, but there is no event which "causes" radiation. So, it's not even certain if we can justifiably use the word concepts of "cause" and "effect" to adaquately describe the world. To then take this concept of temporality, and apply it to pre-temporality, if such a thing ever existed (one would have to prove that there was once nothing, before something, as opposed to something having always been, in order to move forward from this position) is a ludicrous jump, and it really just ends up begging more questions than it answers. What created that which caused the creation of our universe (Where did God come from?), etc. In the end, you're left with the same endless string events, and no "beginning," which is what the argument tries to argue against.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
But the reason I accept causality without time is that the proceeding conclusion of the alternate is false (time has no beginning).

I don't think that's the correct alternate conclusion. Time has a beginning (i.e. t=0), but the beginning doesn't have a cause (which would require t < 0)

rumborak

So time just "began", caused by nothing. It just popped into existence for no reason at all. Makes perfect sense.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:24 PM »
You're talking about the beginning of time itself. Would you really expect any statement you can make about it to 'make sense'?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
Yeah. A timeless creator is a good answer because the only thing that can beat an infinite regress is something infinite itself.

Also, if the universe (matter+energy) just popped out of nowhere, what's preventing more energy and matter from just popping out of nowhere today?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
Yeah. A timeless creator is a good answer because the only thing that can beat an infinite regress is something infinite itself.

So a timeless universe is illogical, but a timeless creator of this universe is perfectly sensical? They're the same thing! You're just adding an unnecessary step, that there is a creator outside of this universe, which created this universe.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
So a timeless universe is illogical, but a timeless creator of this universe is perfectly sensical? They're the same thing! You're just adding an unnecessary step, that there is a creator outside of this universe, which created this universe.

I think you're confused about timelessness. To be timeless is to be removed from or independent of time.

So a timeless universe isn't illogical, in the hypothetical. It's not a self-contradiction, and is therefore a possible object. But our universe isn't timeless. We experience time every day. Our universe is not "removed from or independent of time".

That is different than a timeless creator who is outside of time itself.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
You're talking about the beginning of time itself. Would you really expect any statement you can make about it to 'make sense'?

I have to agree here. Frankly, I think whatever the actual answer will be (if it ever is found), won't be a "lol, that's so straightforward, why I didn't I see that?!" kind of explanation. Physics (which is the only science that has made steady progress in those questions over the last century) already operates in realms that requires the smartest men on earth to understand what the hell is going on.
It also, @H, make me stand back a bit when I hear people reeling off statements about "timeless creators" and stuff. While that all sounds impressive and whatnot, usually upon further questioning it results in meaningless contradictions.

rumborak

Offline Omega

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
No, it's a horrible attempt to fit human logic into something we have no idea about. First of all, quantum mechanics sorta throws a wrench in the whole "causality" debate, anyways. Radiation sorta just occurs, yes it occurs according to a pretty stable behavior, and it's in relation with each other, and a whole bunch of other things I don't really understand, but there is no event which "causes" radiation. So, it's not even certain if we can justifiably use the word concepts of "cause" and "effect" to adaquately describe the world. To then take this concept of temporality, and apply it to pre-temporality, if such a thing ever existed (one would have to prove that there was once nothing, before something, as opposed to something having always been, in order to move forward from this position) is a ludicrous jump, and it really just ends up begging more questions than it answers. What created that which caused the creation of our universe (Where did God come from?), etc. In the end, you're left with the same endless string events, and no "beginning," which is what the argument tries to argue against.

Addressing the first red bolded part:

Sometimes skeptics will say that in physics, subatomic particles come from "nothing". Certain skeptic theories of the origin of the universe likewise state as the universe coming into existence from "nothing". These skeptical responses demonstrate a deliberate abuse of science. The theories in question have to do with the particles originating as a fluctuation of the energy contained in a vacuum. The vacuum in modern physics is not what the layman understands by "vacuum," namely, "nothing." Rather, in physics, the vacuum is sea of fluctuating energy governed by physical laws and having a physical structure. To tell laymen that on such theories something comes from nothing is a distortion of those theories.

Properly understood, "nothing" does not mean just empty space. "Nothing" is the absence of anything whatsoever, even space itself. As such, nothingness has literally no properties at all, since there isn't anything to have any properties. How silly, then, is it when popularizes such as Hawking say things like "nothingness is unstable" or "the universe came into being out of nothing"?!

And for the sake of the argument, let's suppose that something can come from nothing. Then it simply becomes inexplicable why just anything doesn't simply pop into existence! Why don't knifes and wood just pop into existence? What would make nothingness so discriminatory to only spit forth universes?

Addressing the second bolded part:

There are serious atheists out there. Those who believe that asking "what caused God" is a serious objection are not serious atheists.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:06:10 PM by Omega »
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
Rumby, nothing here is meant to sound impressive. We're just trying to be consistent in our terminology.

Offline Omega

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
From William Lane Craig's Q&A over at his website (which I'd strongly recommend: he addresses any imaginable objection to God's existence)

Quote from: William Lane Craig
I must confess that I'm baffled why atheists would think that causation presupposes time and space or at least time. Janey and John, you need to ask them what they mean by "causality" and what reason they have for believing that it presupposes time and space. They're the ones raising the objection, so make them shoulder their burden of proof. After all, it's not just obvious that causality presupposes time and space. So ask them for their argument.

You could also do a thought experiment. Ask them why one timeless entity—say, a number—could not depend timelessly for its existence on another timeless entity. Why is that impossible? Why couldn't God timelessly sustain a number in existence? That would clearly be an asymmetric causal relation. Why is that impossible?

Maybe they'll say that causes always precede their effects in time. But then ask them if they think simultaneous causal relations are impossible. Why can't the cause and effect exist at the same time in an asymmetric dependency relation? For example, a heavy chandelier hanging on a chain from the ceiling. The ceiling and chain hold up the chandelier; the chandelier and chain don't support the ceiling!

Indeed, you could ask them if all causation isn't in the end simultaneous. Imagine C and E are the cause and the effect. If C were to vanish before the time at which E is produced, would E nevertheless come into being? Surely not! But if time is continuous, then no matter how close to E's appearance C's disappearance takes place, there will always be an interval of time between C's disappearance and E's appearance. But then why or how E came into being when it does seems utterly mysterious, for there is no cause at that moment to produce it.

They might say that even simultaneous causation presupposes time. Yes, the cause and effect occur at the same time. But then why couldn't such a causal dependency exist timelessly? In simultaneous causation the cause and effect exist co-incidently. But in a timeless state two things can exist co-incidently in a dependence relation. So if simultaneous causation is possible, I see no reason to think timeless causation is impossible. At least we'd need an argument to show that it is.

In any case, even if time is a precondition for causality, why should that preclude God's being the cause of the universe? Many Christian philosophers and theologians, perhaps the majority today, think that God has existed for infinite past time and created the physical universe a finite time ago. This was Isaac Newton's view as well. He thought absolute time was just God's duration, which is from eternity to eternity. Ask your friends why they think Newton's view was wrong.

If they say, Janey, that "the universe is all of time and space," ask them how they know that. Maybe God existed prior to His creating the universe. Are they begging the question by assuming that the universe is all there is? If they say that time cannot exist without space, then point out to them that even a sequence of mental events, thoughts passing in succession, is sufficient to generate a before/after sequence and, hence, time. If God has a stream of consciousness, then there would exist time prior to the beginning of the universe. So what's the problem?

Suppose they say that God must be the Creator of time if He exists. You could say that God creates time from eternity, just as a chandelier could being hanging from the ceiling from eternity; or you could say, as I think, that God is timeless without (not before!) the universe and that time comes into being at the moment He creates the universe. In that case we're back to simultaneous causation again: God's creating the universe is simultaneous with the universe's coming into being (what could be more obvious?). So what's the problem?

Maybe they'll say that a timeless being can't cause something in time. But then you can say that perhaps God became temporal at the moment He created the universe. He's timeless without the universe and in time with the universe. Ask them to show you any incoherence in that idea.

In fact, here you should turn the tables and ask them how time could come into existence with no causal conditions whatsoever. That is truly bizarre. Why did time and the universe begin to exist at all? How could they begin to exist in the absence of any causal conditions?

If they pose your question in reply, Andrew, then point out that God never began to exist and so doesn't need a cause. Indeed, in thinking that God must have a cause, aren't they admitting what they at first denied, namely, that causation is applicable outside of space and time after all?

He also has to say this on the matter (a much more condensed answer in the form of a YouTube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq7A3GaGVVQ&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL32C414CF7E2B4998
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

And for the sake of the argument, let's suppose that something can come from nothing. Then it simply becomes inexplicable why just anything doesn't simply pop into existence! Why don't knifes and wood just pop into existence? What would make nothingness so discriminatory to only spit forth universes?

Woah there, you're entire post was completely off the mark, and basically argued against some straw man argument you've already created, so that you can undo it. I never said something comes from nothing, which is basically what your entire argument is based upon.

What I said, was that it "throws a wrench" into the argument that causality can be used to conceive of reality. As in, there are numerous events we can witness, which have no direct "cause," as far as we can tell. To deny this is to deny quantum mechanics. This is not saying those events come "from nothing," or that energy "comes from nothing," or that things don't go into having this event occur. What it's saying is that the philosophical conception of "cause" and "effect" are wrong, as they are too simplistic, straight forward, and don't acknowledge the true complexity and interwoveness of reality. There are solid quantum mechanical theories that theorize the future effects the past and the present, which can conceivably answer the question of existence. We exist, because we exist; our future existence determined our past existence. It makes about as much sense to me as any other explanation, and just as logically unsound.

Basically, the premises of the argument are questionable, very questionable, and the conclusion of the argument, if it's valid and sound, is no where near the conclusion being drawn by you, or any theist.

Those who believe that asking "what caused God" is a serious objection are not serious atheists

Well you see, there the problem. Your pigeonholing me into atheism. I am not an atheist. I am agnostic, and there's a difference there. In the proceeding paragraph, I was not giving reasons for why God does not exist, or even giving a full argument for the nature of reality. I was simply pointing out the inconsistencies and falsehoods of the given argument in favor of God, and one which apparently is supposed to be an important one.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
Quote from: William Lane Craig
You could also do a thought experiment. Ask them why one timeless entity—say, a number—could not depend timelessly for its existence on another timeless entity. Why is that impossible? Why couldn't God timelessly sustain a number in existence? That would clearly be an asymmetric causal relation. Why is that impossible?

It could be, presupposing a creator for the sake of argument. But I would have to ask Craig then how God can still be considered a "cause", given that God and the numbers coexisted at all times. Who is to argue that the numbers didn't create God?
EDIT: Not only that, numbers are questionable in their existence themselves. One has to subscribe to Platonic viewpoints first, and that is very shaky ground too.

Maybe they'll say that causes always precede their effects in time. But then ask them if they think simultaneous causal relations are impossible. Why can't the cause and effect exist at the same time in an asymmetric dependency relation? For example, a heavy chandelier hanging on a chain from the ceiling. The ceiling and chain hold up the chandelier; the chandelier and chain don't support the ceiling!

That example makes little sense to me. A suspended chandelier is a static situation; nothing causes something else. Either I'm missing something, or Craig's understanding of physics is a bit lacking here.

If C were to vanish before the time at which E is produced, would E nevertheless come into being? Surely not!

Why not? There is no requirement on continuity when talking of cause and effect. Only the ordering in time.

In any case, even if time is a precondition for causality, why should that preclude God's being the cause of the universe? Many Christian philosophers and theologians, perhaps the majority today, think that God has existed for infinite past time and created the physical universe a finite time ago. This was Isaac Newton's view as well. He thought absolute time was just God's duration, which is from eternity to eternity. Ask your friends why they think Newton's view was wrong.

Just because the Christian god might exhibit the qualities necessary to be a Prime Mover, doesn't follow that just because there is a Prime Mover, the Christian god is it.

After that, tldr. "Too many compile errors, aborting compilation", as my C++ compiler would say.

rumborak
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:41:25 PM by rumborak »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
You misunderstood so much right there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Please elaborate.

rumborak

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
You misunderstood so much right there.

I think threads like this would go much better if each side avoided posts like this. Saying he's wrong doesn't help much, clearly he doesn't see it if he is wrong. So I say if you're going to say someone is wrong, then correct them or don't bother saying it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »
That example makes little sense to me. A suspended chandelier is a static situation; nothing causes something else. Either I'm missing something, or Craig's understanding of physics is a bit lacking here.
The better example that he uses elsewhere is the bowling ball sitting on top of a pillow. The ball presses into the pillow, causing it to take the shape its in, but the bowling ball doesn't change at all. The "cause" is the bowling ball, the "effect" is the depression in the pillow. But both objects are unmoving and if left untouched will remain that way for eternity.

Why not? There is no requirement on continuity when talking of cause and effect. Only the ordering in time.
The second claim here is not true because there's no dependency on time.

Just because the Christian god might exhibit the qualities necessary to be a Prime Mover, doesn't follow that just because there is a Prime Mover, the Christian god is it.
Of course. Craig never made that claim. Craig uses "God" here to describe the timeless mover.

A cause and an effect happen simultaneously. No obvious need for time. Burden of proof's on you to show that a cause and effect depend on time. (quick edit: a cause and an effect can happen simultaneously, but don't need to...sorry for the miswording)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
The better example that he uses elsewhere is the bowling ball sitting on top of a pillow. The ball presses into the pillow, causing it to take the shape its in, but the bowling ball doesn't change at all. The "cause" is the bowling ball, the "effect" is the depression in the pillow. But both objects are unmoving and if left untouched will remain that way for eternity.

Both objects exert opposite pressure onto each other, thus achieving force equilibrium. How can one object be considered the "cause" here?

A cause and an effect happen simultaneously. No obvious need for time. Burden of proof's on you to show that a cause and effect depend on time. (quick edit: a cause and an effect can happen simultaneously, but don't need to...sorry for the miswording)

I never said that cause and effect have to happen at different times. Simultaneity is one specific case of cause and effects' time configuration. I fail to see how this special case has any bearing on this discussion though. Is the argument that God operated at t=0, not at t < 0? That seems a rather bizarre argument to make, like shoehorning God into the concept of causality just to have him here.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
God didn't operate at t=0. God caused t and started it at 0. It's not like God's counting down the seconds, timing the creation of the universe - that's the contradiction of 'before time'.

Both objects exert opposite pressure onto each other, thus achieving force equilibrium. How can one object be considered the "cause" here?
Okay, well if you look at it that way, then both objects are 'causes' with their time-independent effects. But the example is just an old analogy which came from Kant.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »
Just because cause and effect can be used to understand the world does not mean that the world is casual or acts in such a narrow way. I mean, the history of cause and effect is heavily, heavily related with the history of Newtonian Physics, as your example demonstrates very well. Now, Newtonian Physics is a purely false model of the world, in it's true form. We know this, and yet we still use and teach Newtonian physics because it still does describe much of our every day experience.

I mean, when you get down to it, the concept of "time," which we experience and which we know, doesn't seem to really have much to do with reality. The fact that time is experienced as an arrow, in one direction, is a complete mystery to physics - it cannot explain it according to reality. On the quantum level, things certainly don't follow an arrow-like time reality. Then there's special relativity, and the physical merging of space and time.

I'd just like to point out something, from WLC:

If they pose your question in reply, Andrew, then point out that God never began to exist and so doesn't need a cause. Indeed, in thinking that God must have a cause, aren't they admitting what they at first denied, namely, that causation is applicable outside of space and time after all?

So basically, god doesn't exist. I mean, the argument is for why god exists, and to never begun existing, means, by definition, to not exist. To exist, entails being in space and time.  He commits the same kind of pitfall that he claims other people are making, and undermines his own argument in the process of trying to defend his own argument. I don't think he has fully analyzed the conceptions of existence, or the human mind and how it works, and doesn't fully deal with the philosophical baggage the words he uses come with. Specifically, the word cause. He's using the word, but it should really be in quotations, because he's not actually using the word. He opens up the can of worms about  causality, and how improper our conceptions of it is, yet he still wants to use the word very specifically in his analytical argument for the "existence."

By the way, argument from ignorance. That's the feeling I get after reading WLC. He points, validly, to points of human ignorance, and brings up possibilities, and describes the problem of existence quite well, but he tries to use that as an argument for God's existence, and apparently a very specific conception of God, and his existence, which is a fallacy.

--

To wrap up the first part of the post, with the last part of the post, the true mystery of life seems to be not that the universe exists, but that we are conscious of it at all. If time is not an inherent property of reality, which there isn't really any evidence to say it is, then we run into even weirder questions, and the problem of trying to explain the existence of the universe gets overshadowed by the problem of our own conscious experience. And scientifically (physically and psychologically), those two things start to merge to such a degree, that to even start talking about the World around you, you must first acknowledge your own bodies role in creating that World around you.

Offline Omega

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
If the universe began to exist, Scheavo, then it follows logically that whatever the cause for the universe is must be transcendent of space, time, matter and energy.

Besides, what alternative do you have? That the universe, having come into existence from non-existence, caused itself to come into existence? That is patently illogical.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:30 PM »
I just don't get the appeal of this kind of pursuit.  It seems like a colossal waste of time.  All of this energy trying to philosophically "prove" God seems like a way to take what is essentially ineffable and trying to eff it anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Omega

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:10 PM »
I just don't get the appeal of this kind of pursuit.  It seems like a colossal waste of time.  All of this energy trying to philosophically "prove" God seems like a way to take what is essentially ineffable and trying to eff it anyway.

I'm afraid I'm not following the bolded part.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

I'm afraid I'm not following the bolded part.
Well, that's obvious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
Besides, what alternative do you have? That the universe, having come into existence from non-existence, caused itself to come into existence? That is patently illogical.

Is it? This concept of "ex nihilo" might intuitively be appalling to you, but if there's any lesson to be learned from the last 50 years of quantum mechanics, it's that the absence of things is the most unnatural state of them all. And theoretically it's also the least likely since it is the state of lowest entropy.
I turn the question around instead: Why should there be no universe?

rumborak

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 01:04:31 AM »
If the universe began to exist, Scheavo, then it follows logically that whatever the cause for the universe is must be transcendent of space, time, matter and energy.

It's patently illogical, when it's the Universe we're talking about. Start talking about God, and he suddenly doesn't need an explanation, or a cause, even though he exists. There's also the possibility of a multiverse theory, where our universe creation is just part of something bigger still (which rather fits the overall correlation, from the smallest thing to the largest things), and while horribly unsatisfying, it is the actual answer to our universe creation.

Why does your human logic have to be satisfied by the Truth? Seems to me that's an assumption made on your part, due to your religious beliefs. Keep in mind, I'm not questioning your beliefs, I just don't personally see why it needs to be true that I can understand the Truth, that I am capable of such.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 04:33:26 AM »
Why does your human logic have to be satisfied by the Truth? Seems to me that's an assumption made on your part, due to your religious beliefs. Keep in mind, I'm not questioning your beliefs, I just don't personally see why it needs to be true that I can understand the Truth, that I am capable of such.
That's kind of what I was getting at.  Trying to define the Truth of God by logic seems to me like trying to define automobiles by chocolate.

Offline Omega

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
it's that the absence of things is the most unnatural state of them all. And theoretically it's also the least likely since it is the state of lowest entropy.

Sometimes skeptics will say that in physics, subatomic particles come from "nothing". Certain skeptic theories of the origin of the universe likewise state as the universe coming into existence from "nothing". These skeptical responses demonstrate a deliberate abuse of science. The theories in question have to do with the particles originating as a fluctuation of the energy contained in a vacuum. The vacuum in modern physics is not what the layman understands by "vacuum," namely, "nothing." Rather, in physics, the vacuum is sea of fluctuating energy governed by physical laws and having a physical structure. To tell laymen that on such theories something comes from nothing is a distortion of those theories.

Properly understood, "nothing" does not mean just empty space. "Nothing" is the absence of anything whatsoever, even space itself. As such, nothingness has literally no properties at all, since there isn't anything to have any properties. How silly, then, is it when popularizes such as Hawking say things like "nothingness is unstable" or "the universe came into being out of nothing"?!