Author Topic: The sick and diseased thread  (Read 20856 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: The sick and diseased thread
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
MRSAs are no joke.  :(  Best wishes for you complete recovery!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm off to have a wisdom tooth ripped out of my face in about an hour; prerequisite to the transplant. Gotta say, I'm more skeeved out about that than the damn kidney transplant. I just keep telling myself that if the wisdom tooth extraction is the worst thing that happens to me all month, I'll be doing pretty damned well in the grand scheme of things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »
I had a couple of wisdom teeth pulled about three years ago.  I had them put me completely to sleep so it wasn't too bad at all. 

Not NEARLY as bad as I had imagined (never had a tooth pulled before).

Good luck!      :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
It's unfortunate that the oral surgeon charges $109 for a healthy dose of NO2, but god damned is that a fine investment anyway. Nitrous makes everything fun.  :lol

Extraction was a cakewalk. Don't even feel particularly bad now. Fixing to hit the Lortab, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
Oh, the lovely drugs!

Have fun!  Eat pudding!   :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2013, 12:55:11 AM »
I've had a cold for almost a week now and I just puked after eating so I hope it's not turning into something worse...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
Went down to NYC on Friday to meet up with some friends. First night I developed a nasty sore throat, and then later in the next day I totally lost my voice (I sound like Lemmy right now). So, I pulled the plug this morning and took the train back to Boston. I was sleeping on a cot in the hotel room anyway, not exactly conducive to rest.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
I've been on my couch or in my bed the last 3 days. I have another sinus infection and an ear infection.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
For all the doctors in the thread - I have Prepatellar Bursitis ;D

Basically - the fluid sac around my knee has swollen and now my knee is all squidgy :P

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:40 AM »
Haha I'm on my locomotor rotation and was reading about that/practising knee examinations yesterday! Can I practice on you? :P Hope you heal up soon  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2013, 05:15:05 AM »
It's slowly going away but it takes a long time !

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2014, 12:20:36 AM »
It's winter time, so let's revive this thread.

Down with some nasty sore throat. I'm supposed to meet people tomorrow, but the way it looks right now at 2:20am, that might not be such a good idea.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2014, 12:50:02 AM »
I've got a little something myself. I'm mostly just coughing stuff up. I still went out for sushi (with lots of wasabi to clear my sinuses) and ladies' night at the gay bar.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
Ugh, twisted my ankle today at Volleyball, made a naaaaasty sound while doing so. Spent the evening at the hospital getting it checked out. No fracture though, yay! And the way it feels right now it's not even that bad. Man, I really thought it was broken in pieces though.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
Ouch, I had a similar experience with my wrist a few weeks ago.  Definitely ice that, as I didn't feel much pain until a day or two later.  A foot brace probably wouldn't hurt either.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »
Noticed this tonight for the first time.

I'm guessing some kind of bug bite. I'm not really stressing out about it, but has anyone seen/had something like this?

also the main one is bigger than it looks in the picture.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
Noticed this tonight for the first time.

I'm guessing some kind of bug bite. I'm not really stressing out about it, but has anyone seen/had something like this?

also the main one is bigger than it looks in the picture.

Depends what part of your body this is.  Could be gonorrhea.

jk, I have no idea.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
So the first bite went away no problem, but my dumb ass just can't get enough of the woods. I did use repellent this time, but apparently it wasn't good enough, because I got a damn tick bite and got the bullseye. Went to the doctor and got an antibiotic, so everything will be fine but I might as well ask:

Anyone else deal with lyme disease before?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »
We hear it all the time it seems, "Getting old sucks!" I went 45 years without a surgery, being put under general anesthesia, broken bones...pretty much nothing. Tomorrow, I get put out under GA for the 12th time in the last 2 years. It's funny, I always get a chuckle from the anesthesiologist's when I ask if I'm getting the "Orange label, then Blue label" for my knockout cocktail. It usually catches them off guard that a patient actually knows that, but they always get a kick out of it. So tomorrow I get to have one of my salivary glands removed because of a very large stone that can't be otherwise passed. Fun stuff!!  Best part is I get too sport a nice neck scar!  Guess I can whip up some creative scar stories!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
Might as well post here too, been having massive anxiety and sleep problems lately. I thought it was due to being overworked, but I've been on vacation in Germany for a month now, and my insomnia is not improving at all. I'm supposed to be in Europe for another two weeks or so, but I'm thinking i might rebook my flight and head back home early. I can't even go to the doctor to get some sleep prescription, and the OTC antihistamines don't really work on me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Might as well post here too, been having massive anxiety and sleep problems lately. I thought it was due to being overworked, but I've been on vacation in Germany for a month now, and my insomnia is not improving at all. I'm supposed to be in Europe for another two weeks or so, but I'm thinking i might rebook my flight and head back home early. I can't even go to the doctor to get some sleep prescription, and the OTC antihistamines don't really work on me.

Have you tried Benadryl?  I'm assuming yes, but that's what works for me.  Active ingredient is Diphenhydramine.  That's for sleep assistance, as for anxiety?  I'm not sure what you would need for that Bro.  Any which way.... wishing you luck and some restful sleep.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »
Yeah, Benadryl does zero for me, sadly.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
3 days coming
3 days with you
3 days leaving

currently on day 5, colds suck  :(

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »
I spent some time at the hospital today. Apparently the combination of heat, dehydration, lack of sleep and strenuous exercise is not the best of combinations. Felt like shit after the workout, close to throwing up and passing out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2015, 04:25:58 PM »
Sleep problems sucks, rumbo.  I've been taking eszopiclone (prescribed by a sleep doctor) since last October and it helps a lot.  I still feel tired every day, but it keeps me asleep for most of the night.  Occasionally, I will not take it, and I can always tell, cause I will wake up every two hours during the night and feel dead tired the next day.  I am still debating doing the overnight sleep study at some point.  I did the home sleep study two years ago, which said I did not have apnea, but I am not convinced.  One should not always feel this tired. :censored

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2015, 04:32:21 PM »
My sleep problems luckily went away for the most part. When I was in Germany I got myself into this frenzy that I couldn't get out of. Eventually I flew back to the US early, and once I got into my regular bed it was all fine again. I went again to Germany this spring, and this time I was armed with Melatonin. I don't know whether it's placebo or not, but that stuff worked like a charm on me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
Man, good kidney functionality really kicks ass, but damn I'm paying for it now. Trying to fight off a nasty, nasty cold and after a week I think the germs are still well out ahead. Doing some research at one of the transplant forums and it seems that fighting off a cold in 2 weeks is about the best you can hope for, and if you've really upset the Nine Divines somehow you could be in for 2 months. I'm well aware that I got the better part of the deal, but the irony is that decreased kidney function never once made me feel half anywhere near this bad.

And the worst part of it is that because of my blood pressure (which is actually very well controlled) I can't take Pseudoephederine.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »
So I go to the doctor this morning to figure out this cough situation and he just happens to look up my nose as part of the exam and he's like "oh, looks like you have nasal polyps, you'll need surgery" and I'm like oh really?  :lol

I knew about colon polyps but didn't even know that nasal ones where also a thing. So yeah, gotta go get that straitened out. All this time I thought it was just allergy congestion, lol.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
Oh man I had surgery to remove nasal polyps last year and I waited far too long.

I got a sinus infection the year before that and it went away with the typical antibiotics and steroids, then I got a second sinus infection shortly after that with the same amount of treatment except this never fully went away. Then over the course of a year it started to slowly get worse and worse with antibiotics working less and less. I went to the ENT and he told me I had polyps that was blocking the drainage of my frontal sinus above my right eye. Pretty much the last two months before I went to surgery was a living hell, every morning I woke up with a splitting migraine and tons of drainage. Waking up after surgery the feeling of relief was immense.

Sorry for the TMI but for the love of god don't wait. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »
Oh man I had surgery to remove nasal polyps last year and I waited far too long.

I got a sinus infection the year before that and it went away with the typical antibiotics and steroids, then I got a second sinus infection shortly after that with the same amount of treatment except this never fully went away. Then over the course of a year it started to slowly get worse and worse with antibiotics working less and less. I went to the ENT and he told me I had polyps that was blocking the drainage of my frontal sinus above my right eye. Pretty much the last two months before I went to surgery was a living hell, every morning I woke up with a splitting migraine and tons of drainage. Waking up after surgery the feeling of relief was immense.

Sorry for the TMI but for the love of god don't wait.

Oh damn, you had them too? Must be a crotch rocket thing  :lol

Did they put you fully under for it and how long before you could go back to work?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
Yea went under for it, first time I ever had general anesthesia. The surgery took about 1.5 hours. I had it done on a Monday so I took that day off and I worked from home the next day, back in the office the day after that. FWIW I only had it in my right sinus.

There was some initial discomfort but it was honestly nothing compared to the migraines I was having. I then had two in office follow ups where they removed the scabs from inside your sinus that built up from the surgery.

The only thing they advise is try not to sneeze or cough but if you have to sneeze then open your month and try to have the pressure release from there. The first time I sneezed was a few hours after surgery, I had a tissue near by and held it close to my face and it looked like someone shot me from behind the head. The amount of blood that came out was crazy. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. I can work with that.

I see the doctor for a consult on Friday and I am scheduling surgery as soon as possible. I can't wait to breath normal.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
Goodluck, :tup keep us posted on how it goes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
Had the nasal polyp surgery this morning.

Doesn't hurt too bad. The ooz coming out periodically is annoying but not painful. By far the worst part is since my nose is packed, its very difficult and awkward to swallow, but thank god the nose pack is coming out tomorrow  :smiley:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
I'm glad it went well. I don't remember too much pain, just a large of amount dried blood coming out every time I sneezed.