Author Topic: The sick and diseased thread  (Read 20873 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The sick and diseased thread
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »
Well I guess it's my turn....

Up to this point in my life...I'm 37, I've only had (3) people I was close to die. When I was 19 my next door neighbor Amy, who was 18...was killed in a car accident.....and about 2 years ago I had a very close buddy of mine die in a car accident as well. My Great Grandmother passed away 4 years ago and it was sad obviously...she was a sweet lady.

But, I just found out my Grandmother of whom I am VERY close....has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer. She was one of the many folks who smoked for 50 years because they started when no one really didn't know any better. The thing about it is she's been crushed with physical issues for the past 3 years thanks to a severe bout of Shingles. A case of which has taken her all the way to the Mayo clinic and they can't figure out why she continues to have pain...or what to do to relieve it other than prescribe massive amounts of pain killers.

She's 73...and up until the Shingles hit you would have looked at her and guessed her to be mid 50's...just a spit fire little lady that would bound around. And if you were to look at a pic of her 4 years ago and one now...you would swear 15 years has passed. The amount of daily pain she's in from this Shingle anomaly is near unbearable to watch.

The first year she was on so much medication she couldn't articulate a sentence. At one time I had all the drugs she was on written down because it was insane...Oxycotin..percesete...they did morphene for a while. Anything and everything. She got down to 83 lbs!!!! Just wiped her out and she's never recovered.

so the past year or so she developed emphysema due to all the smoking...and sure enough her and my grandfather told us all the other night at diner. She started crying and apologizing to me for her not going to be around for my boys... :'(   it was/is tough. She all but said she's not going to 'treat' it...that she doesn't feel like going through chemo and radiation and that she's just beat.

My Grandfather pulled me aside about three or four months ago and told me that Grandma wasn't on her 'deathbed' as he said, but that we should all start to really enjoy the time we have with her and spend more time with her. He's been on the forefront the whole time and had never said anything like that before..so I think I began to prepare myself for this news then....which has made it 'easier' to take...but I'll admit even typing this I've had a 'moment'.

I understand that I'm not the first or the last to go through something like this.....cancer sucks....and losing your Grandma sucks even more. She's not gone just yet and they have a DR's appointment Monday that should yield more answers....but this moment has just reminded me that I've entered a phase of life now that at one time seemed so far off.....now I find myself smack in the middle of it.

Sorry for the long post but I think it might have helped me a bit...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2013, 07:19:43 AM »
^^^^Follow up I that....we found out yesterday it's Stage 3 Lung cancer. Plus it's in her lymph nodes. I forgot the 'type' of cancer my Grandpa told me it was. Bottom line is that it is in-operable, in-curable and if she were not to treat it she's got a month...maybe two.
  She's chose to try chemo to see if she can get a bit more time but we all understand that time isn't on our side in this case.
   It's still hard to believe in one sense, you know....it's Grandma. But on the other hand I totally 'get' that it's life and this type of thing happens all the time, to all of us. Like I said...now it's my turn to have to go through what so many others have.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
:hug:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »
:hug:

Thanks Deb....I'll take every form of hug I can get. Appreciate it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
That really sucks dude. I definitely understand the quality over quantity issue. My father-in-law just finished 6 weeks of radiation, and he's cancer free, but a changed man for it ... Not for the better.  He's become cynical, cruel, bitter ... My wife calls him"evil". And that was just radiation.

Feel really bad for you and your family. Any time you need to rant, we're here for you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »
I have my second UTI in a row. Not fun. Peeing orange was amusing the first time, but not so much the second.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »
I injured my back 5 years ago. I've had 2 surgeries and countless procedures, all to no avail.  My pain is basically in my right glute, in an area the size of a silver dollar. It never lessens or goes away, and because of it, I can't sit in a normal seated position for more than 3-4 minutes.  My last doctor is fairly certain the issue is my Piriformis, but there are basically no treatments to fix it.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
I have my second UTI in a row. Not fun. Peeing orange was amusing the first time, but not so much the second.

I really dislike the dye tablets they give you - Pyridium.  If I wasn't careful taking them, they'd make me sick to my stomach.  Plus, UTIs aren't fun anyway.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2013, 02:13:14 AM »
I'm a bit paranoid about starting to get UTIs so I'm really careful now, a couple of my flatmates get them all the time and it does not seem fun.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »
I've read reports recently that Seasonal Affected Disorder does not even exist despite me being extremely depressed every WInter without fail.

True - I do feel better when the sun is blazing and its warm outside but doesn't everyone ?

Have all my bad experiences happened in Winter ? Do you care less about feeling bad in the Summer because the sun makes you feel good ?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
I am at work and an absolute mess. My wife just called to tell me the surgery’s that were scheduled for my good friends 13 year old daughter whose cancer has recently come back have been cancelled. They have told my friends their daughter is terminal and they can do nothing more.
My heart is crushed. I can’t process this nor will my brain accept this as reality. I just want to go home and cry.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
Casey :'( I'm really sorry to hear this, Tick...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Casey :'( I'm really sorry to hear this, Tick...
Thank you. I have to pray and believe for a miracle.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
I am at work and an absolute mess. My wife just called to tell me the surgery’s that were scheduled for my good friends 13 year old daughter whose cancer has recently come back have been cancelled. They have told my friends their daughter is terminal and they can do nothing more.
My heart is crushed. I can’t process this nor will my brain accept this as reality. I just want to go home and cry.

I'm so sorry to hear this. It is hard to watch someone so young die. I hope for a miracle.  I know that pain the parents most feel. All they can do know is just be with her and treasure the memories of her. Life is so precious.

I still haven't got over my cousin's son die back in March. It is hardly not a day that I don't think of him. I'm grateful that he didn't suffer long.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »

Dang Rich....there are no words.....My heart goes out to everyone who loves and cares about Casey.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
Thanks guys. If you pray please lift Casey up! A miracle is needed. By his stripes we can be healed!  I can't imagine this fighter losing her battle. I am just so sick over this. :sad:

Casey and her big sister who has been there for Casey as much as humanly possible to do anything for her she can.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
I'm sorry    :sad:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
So sorry to read this.  :-[

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
:brohug: Tick.  There are no words in the English language to describe how awful and unfair that is.  My heart just aches for you and Casey's family.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
So, do I go to the GP saying I think i've got depression but I don't want to be on medication ?

Will they tell me to stop wasting their time ?

I've apparently got all the main signs.

Refusing to go to bed...Craving junk food...Not getting any enjoyment from anything... Well up at the *slightest* thing....

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
So, do I go to the GP saying I think i've got depression but I don't want to be on medication ?

Refusing to go to bed...Craving junk food...Not getting any enjoyment from anything... Well up at the *slightest* thing....

Try a therapist first. Not everybody needs meds, but some do for a short time when talking things through with a therapist.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2013, 06:03:30 PM »

Try a therapist first. Not everybody needs meds, but some do for a short time when talking things through with a therapist.

Yeah - because I just hate the idea of taking drugs to feel "better". I'd rather be miserable than just feel fake.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:23 AM »
I woke up with a considerable loss of hearing in one ear.  I woke up and noticed that when I was laying on my right side, things were a little too quiet.  I'm not sure if it's just a temporary thing but I'm thinking about going to the doctor after I get off work later.

Edit after waking up:  I guess I shouldn't say considerable, but it's noticeable.  I can still hear but my left ear has this odd sensation.  It's not really ringing but it's the same idea.  I usually have music playing quietly while I sleep so when I woke up and didn't hear it, I thought nothing of it.  At least until I turned and I could hear through my right ear.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:32:16 AM by carl320 »
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
I woke up with a considerable loss of hearing in one ear.  I woke up and noticed that when I was laying on my right side, things were a little too quiet.  I'm not sure if it's just a temporary thing but I'm thinking about going to the doctor after I get off work later.

Shit, this sounds horrific. :/ I just double checked if my hearing was alright on both sides, just to be sure.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »

Edit after waking up:  I guess I shouldn't say considerable, but it's noticeable.  I can still hear but my left ear has this odd sensation.  It's not really ringing but it's the same idea.  I usually have music playing quietly while I sleep so when I woke up and didn't hear it, I thought nothing of it.  At least until I turned and I could hear through my right ear.
Much like your sinuses, your ears can easily get backed up with fluids or wax that throws off your equilibrium and cause hearing loss. Always best to get checked out but it is likely an ear infection of some sort. I have dealt with ear issues my whole life and had two ear operations to have drainage tubes put in.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
I feel like half the posts I make lately are about people I care about dying. Today I lost one of my closest childhood friends to cancer. Charlie was my next door neighbor growing up and my best friend. He was only 45 years old. Can't take much more of this. Rest in peace Charlie! :sad:

Offline sueño

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
:(
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »

Yeah - because I just hate the idea of taking drugs to feel "better". I'd rather be miserable than just feel fake.

I feel much better now that the UK is in the midst of a massive heatwave :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »
I feel like half the posts I make lately are about people I care about dying. Today I lost one of my closest childhood friends to cancer. Charlie was my next door neighbor growing up and my best friend. He was only 45 years old. Can't take much more of this. Rest in peace Charlie! :sad:

Damn Tick.  Wish I had some words, but there's nothing to be said.  Sorry things are so shitty right now.

Offline sueño

« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

Research the meds suggested.  Not all will have those side effects.  I've been taking Citalopram for years for depression and it has helped me with no adverse effects.  Not even noticeable mood changes beyond less negativity, fewer dark moods.  Nothing physically.  What I notice should I run out of meds is a much more "doomed" outlook.

I view meds for mental imbalance the same as those for physical imbalance.  If one needed insulin to balance a lack in body chemistry, what's the difference to needing help to balance brain chemistry?  It's a stigma that is wrong and dangerous.

Definitely look into therapy but don't discount the benefit meds could have.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:07:45 AM by sueño »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »

Damn Tick.  Wish I had some words, but there's nothing to be said.  Sorry things are so shitty right now.
Thank you. Rough stretch for sure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »

Research the meds suggested.  Not all will have those side effects.  I've been taking Citalopram for years for depression and it has helped me with no adverse effects.  Not even noticeable mood changes beyond less negativity, fewer dark moods.  Nothing physically.  What I notice should I run out of meds is a much more "doomed" outlook.

I view meds for mental imbalance the same as those for physical imbalance.  If one needed insulin to balance a lack in body chemistry, what's the difference to needing help to balance brain chemistry?  It's a stigma that is wrong and dangerous.

Definitely look into therapy but don't discount the benefit meds could have.  :)

:heart :heart :heart :)

The gorgeous weather has definitely helped recently. Plus i've been taking long walks in the sunshine. :)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
I mentioned on here several months back I had a nasty wound that kept getting infected. One of the infections was a staph infection, the doctors feel now was more than likely MRSA. The damn thing ate through a good portion of my leg and buttock, and so now tomorrow I require surgery to open it up, remove the dead tissue, and hopefully begin the journey towards recovery finally. It's been a tough several months dealing with this, and although I am flipping my shit about the procedure and recovery- this is necessary for me to heal. So, wish me well, and God willing I'll see you back here in a few days. My issue pales in comparison to some of the things you are all dealing with, but major surgery is major surgery...and I'm not looking forward to it, but once its done...hopefully, I'm able to get healthy again soon.
Tempus.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
I mentioned on here several months back I had a nasty wound that kept getting infected. One of the infections was a staph infection, the doctors feel now was more than likely MRSA. The damn thing ate through a good portion of my leg and buttock, and so now tomorrow I require surgery to open it up, remove the dead tissue, and hopefully begin the journey towards recovery finally. It's been a tough several months dealing with this, and although I am flipping my shit about the procedure and recovery- this is necessary for me to heal. So, wish me well, and God willing I'll see you back here in a few days. My issue pales in comparison to some of the things you are all dealing with, but major surgery is major surgery...and I'm not looking forward to it, but once its done...hopefully, I'm able to get healthy again soon.
Tempus.
Get well, Temp!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
Yeah, no kidding.  I remember that story - scary shit all from a spring in an airplane seat, right? 

Hope it's all good man.