Author Topic: The sick and diseased thread  (Read 20875 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
The sick and diseased thread
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
Do we have one of those? If we have a thread about being drunk, we might as well have a thread about being sick.

Had a head cold for the last few days, rather annoying. Nothing big, but I decided yesterday I would work from home to not infect the rest of the office.

More interestingly though, I'm gonna go under the knife next week. I have a tiny umbilical hernia and while it's not a big deal right now, there's the danger it could become more pronounced through some weird move or something (even though I've been running around with it for quite some time now). So, the whole kit and kaboodle; general anesthesia, I will have a friend pick me up from the hospital so he can drive me back. Fun! No idea also how long I will have to work from home. The doctor said "you might want to look into taking 3-4 weeks off", that's not gonna happen though :lol

Share your disease stories!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The sick and diseased thread
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
I'm actually staying home from work right now because I've had a cold for a few days.  I was battling it out and going to work but it hasn't gotten better or worse.  So today I decided to just stay home and sleep and hopefully get rid of it.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »
Ha, I was just about to make my humble return (from at least a few days) saying I'm sick.

My computer is sick too, in fact it's dying... I have to send it in due to a dying HDD.  I'm on my wife's school computer righ tnow.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
I have Hepatitis C and early-stage cirrhosis of the liver.  I am currently almost finished with a grueling 9 month course of chemo with Pegintron, which, unfortunately for me, did not work. But it sure was fun injecting that shit into my body for the better part of a year and throwing up every day.  My doctors tell me I will probably need a liver transplant within 5 to 7 years. 

Sucks that you have a head cold rumborak

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »
I have Hepatitis C and early-stage cirrhosis of the liver.  I am currently almost finished with a grueling 9 month course of chemo with Pegintron, which, unfortunately for me, did not work. But it sure was fun injecting that shit into my body for the better part of a year and throwing up every day.  My doctors tell me I will probably need a liver transplant within 5 to 7 years. 

I hope no one can top that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
Yikes Kirk! Man, that's rough.

Can't top that.. but I do have Type 2 Diabetes, which amounts to popping a few pills a day and watching what I eat. Had it going on almost 14 years now.
Strange thing, I drove to work one day (an hour 1 way) and when I got there, I couldn't make out people's faces 10 feet away from me. (Kind of like in a picture where they cloud out some bystander..). I called The Lovely Mrs TAC and she made an appointment for me later that day. Then I found out what the problem was, and actually it was a good thing because it answered why I felt like shit for a couple of years.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »

Oh my god, that's terrible to hear. Man, gotta say though, you're a pretty chipper trooper, at least online!

rumborak

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
prostatiis
recuring...not fun....not many solutions.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
Damn Kirk, that's some damage.  I managed to escape serious liver damage, just some minor swelling, but my pancreas is fucked.  I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that, including diabetes and cancer, from here on out.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

Oh my god, that's terrible to hear. Man, gotta say though, you're a pretty chipper trooper, at least online!

rumborak

Well, you play the hand you dealt yourself, you know what I mean?  It's no one's fault but my own.  I came to terms with it 15 years ago when I found out about it.  Now I just try the best I can to educate people about the dangers of IV drug use and addiction in general.  That's why I always speak up in threads with that topic.

I was trying to make a joke about your cold, I guess I kind of failed  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
prostatiis
recuring...not fun....not many solutions.

Shit, that sucks.  My brother-in-law has that so I know what you are going through.   :tdwn

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
I met kirksnosehair once and he's simply awesome.  :hefdaddy
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
Aw, man, thanks, bro.  I think you're pretty fucking awesome too  :metal

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »

Oh? My bad. I thought it said "Slick and deceased."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
I met kirksnosehair once and he's simply awesome.  :hefdaddy

Aw, man, thanks, bro.  I think you're pretty fucking awesome too  :metal

"Sick and diseased" thread. Not fellatio thread. C'mon guys!!

BTW yeah, kirk, I was actually wondering how you had contracted it. Damn, IV drugs.

rumborak

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
Been at home from work for two days, had a fever yesterday and today. I'm feeling better now so I'll return tomorrow.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
I am a survivor of Lymphoma.  as some have read in the chat threads, I could gross you all out from my horrid tales of what I went through.

Kirk,  as Rumbo said, you seem so upbeat about your situation and I think that goes a long way.

Also, fighting a head cold this week and a bit of fevering.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
I have IBS, so its fairly infantile compared to what some of the others in the thread are dealing with. Daily affliction with chronic pain, but it won't worsen into something larger thankfully. My condolences to the folks with greater afflictions :-[

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
Friend has had constant eye pain the past few months and saw a Neurologist last Wednesday. I don't know if she got any results yet but whenever its was brought up she immediately started crying.  I'm too afraid to ask and pry, that's what my best friend's Mom is for. We're all hoping for the best!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »
I've had pretty nasty congestion since Sunday night, but I'm hoping to be pulling out of it soon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
Hmmm, where do I start?

I've passed two kidney stones in the last five years and have another one on the way (can't wait).  It'll be another trip to the emergency room but the good news is, the insurance will pick up another 5k tab.

Had another CT scan back in October that revealed a ventral hernia in upper abdomen.  It's not a big deal and won't need surgery if it doesn't hurt too much.  It doesn't hurt.  The scan also showed a small case of diverticulosis that was evident in the CT scan I had from the first kidney stone.  A colonoscopy was recommended for proper diagnosis but I'm having a hard time making that appointment.  Just can't bring myself to do it.

I also have an enlarged prostate and can't bring myself to make that doctor's appointment either.  The last thing I'll let a doctor do is stick his finger in my ass.  That shit is just wrong.  No pun intended.

I've had a relatively healthy life but now that I'm in my 40's it seems like it's all going to hell.  Scary shit!  :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »
I drink too much.

End of story. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 05:23:56 AM »
I also have an enlarged prostate and can't bring myself to make that doctor's appointment either.  The last thing I'll let a doctor do is stick his finger in my ass.  That shit is just wrong.  No pun intended.

Everytime I hear about guys not wanting to get their prostate checked, I remember a marketing campaign by Canada Health a few years ago with the tagline "you can't die from embarrassment".

Get it checked out dude.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »

Everytime I hear about guys not wanting to get their prostate checked, I remember a marketing campaign by Canada Health a few years ago with the tagline "you can't die from embarrassment".

Get it checked out dude.

My doctor is a hot asian chick, makes that part a bit easier.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »

Get it checked out dude.

My doctor is a hot asian chick, makes that part a bit easier.

Now there's a story with a happy ending.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
I had to get a colonoscopy and they put me out and I didn't feel a thing.  The finger was a little uncomfortable but it has to be done.  Don't ever wait on those things.....oh and ask for a hot doc like lonestar has.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 07:52:31 AM »
Don't get me wrong, it's still not my choice of ways to start my day, but at least when someone ask me how my morning went, I can say I had a hot asian chick stick her finger up my butt.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »

Get it checked out dude.

mine is an italian accented Angie Harmen look alike....last time she said...(with accent) I have thin fingers and trim my nails often!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »
Don't get me wrong, it's still not my choice of ways to start my day, but at least when someone ask me how my morning went, I can say I had a hot asian chick stick her finger up my butt.

Mine looked like Large Marge. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »

Mine looked like Large Marge. :lol

Frankly, I'd prefer that. For something unenjoyable like this, I'd rather it be completely unenjoyable.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
I had to get a colonoscopy and they put me out and I didn't feel a thing.  The finger was a little uncomfortable but it has to be done.  Don't ever wait on those things.....oh and ask for a hot doc like lonestar has.

I'm not worried about pain or anything.  It's the preparation the night before and the fact that it was actually performed on me that freaks me out.  Not too crazy about finding out bad news either.  I just don't trust doctors.  Oh, and the finger thing?  Man or woman doesn't matter.  It just isn't gonna happen.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:14 AM »
Coronary artery disease.  Had a triple bypass last year, and every day since then has been in pain, although it varies and most days it's not that bad.  As in, if I don't think about it, it doesn't bother me.  The pain isn't my heart, but my sternum, which they had to saw open to get to my heart.  I guess that's why it's called open-heart surgery.  You know how when the weather changes and atmospheric conditions can make old wounds hurt a bit?  That kind of thing.  Little twinges of pain every once in a while, throughout the day.  Annoying more than anything else.  They wire your sternum back together so it'll heal, and the wires stay in, which is freaky.

Technically, I was dead for a few hours while they did the operation.  Well, my heart wasn't beating anyway; they have to stop it to do the work, and there's always a slight chance that it won't start back up again when they're done.  So yeah, that was exciting.

The worst part is the radical changes to my diet.  Red meats are gone.  Fats, including most dairy products, gone.  Lots of veggies, although they're really boring without butter.  I miss ribs.  I miss a good cheeseburger.  The doctors say nothing is 100% off the menu; a little bit once in a while is okay.  There's just a limit to how much your body can process and properly get rid of over time, and everyone's limit is different.  Live past that limit for too long, and you end up like me.  I just feel like any time I do indulge myself, I'm shaving another couple days off of my lifespan.  The best part is that I've lost 30 pounds since then, and of course the fact that I'm not dead.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »

I'm not worried about pain or anything.  It's the preparation the night before and the fact that it was actually performed on me that freaks me out.  Not too crazy about finding out bad news either.  I just don't trust doctors.  Oh, and the finger thing?  Man or woman doesn't matter.  It just isn't gonna happen.

Your better finding out if there is something bad because they can catch it early.  If you wait too long it would be too late.  Better to know the unknown.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »

Totally understandable.  You're more scared of a finger up your ass for 5 seconds than of cancer or other prostate issues.  How bout this... your prostate continues to enlarge to the point you can't push or stop your piss.  Would that be better?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but that mindset just totally blows me away.  I get it's not pleasant (I've had the check a few times), but shit, I'd rather catch something early.  Guess it's a little closer to home as my father had prostate cancer (cured luckily, BECAUSE HE CAUGHT IT EARLY).

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »

Well my dear if some doctor didn't stick a finger in me and other medical instruments I would never found out I had pre cancerous cells for cevircal cancer. Then after going to a specialist because of the cells they found a tumor in my uterus. Yes, I had to have a hysterectomy but those doctors saved my life. So get over the damn finger!!!!