Author Topic: The imperfection of rock concerts  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: The imperfection of rock concerts
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
Yup.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
Experimental means "derived from an experiment". If 20th century music was derived from an experiment, why would the passage of time make it any less derived from an experiment? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe you mean to say "unique" or something along those lines instead of "experimental" and "progressive".

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
Well if I came out with a classical song today, that wouldn't really be experimental, would it? I'd just be writing for a genre.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
This is just a matter of semantics now.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
I don't see what's so interesting about Unexpect. So there you go.
YOU SURE SHOWED HIM

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
To do something experimental and progressive is to do something no one has done before. If a band came out with songs written in the style of the Beatles, they'd get nowhere and break no ground. The natural sense of progress is in the present. Of course we can look back in history and say X was progressive, but we can't say it still is.

It can be applied to anything else, really. Abolition of slavery in America for example. The notion that slavery is okay is completely unacceptable in the present to the point where it's useless (i.e. not progressive) to talk about it as a present problem. But we can wind back the clock and appreciate it in its historical context.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
Well, first of all, you have a habit of saying "classical music" to refer to all non-pop music, which is a faux pas. For a person who listened to a lot of classical, you seem to lump it all together.

Well if I came out with a classical song today, that wouldn't really be experimental, would it? I'd just be writing for a genre.

Well, if you did something new with the classical styling, it would be experimental. If you just wrote a generic, boring, token classical song, it wouldn't. I don't understand what you're struggling with here.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
I'd really like to but I don't...it's not experimental at all
I don't see why that should make you enjoy it less.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
There's really no reason to continue this conversation. You define "experimental" differently. What you mean to say is that you like music that is, at this moment in time, experimental. I get it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »
I'm going through an experimental phase, if you completed my quote. Good attempt at trying to make me look like a moron.

There is of course nothing wrong with other types of music.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:18 AM »
There's really no reason to continue this conversation. You define "experimental" differently. What you mean to say is that you like music that is, at this moment in time, experimental. I get it.
Well there you go. Different definitions are giving us different conclusions.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
I don't think Harry was trying to make you look like a moron. 

I'd really like to but I don't...it's not experimental at all, which is I guess why it's called 'classical'. But right now, I'm moving away from my 'prog' phase into my 'experimental' phase. Probably thanks to SW.

You just said you don't listen to as much classical because its not experimental at all.  That was the full quote.  And Harry's point is still very valid: that just because something isn't experimental or groundbreaking (anymore?) doesn't mean that it should be a mark against it.  :-\ 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
Cool. I agree.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
I'm going through an experimental phase, if you completed my quote. Good attempt at trying to make me look like a moron.

He would never do that. No one would ever do that.