Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 126244 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #1120 on: July 01, 2019, 10:11:35 PM »
Don't know anything about these guys, but apparently Tony got stuck in a toilet stall for some reason. His post doesn't go into detail and it seems the informative one is in another language.

http://bravewords.com/news/sonata-arctica-frontman-tony-kakko-rescued-from-nuclear-blast-head-office-toilet-stall-by-volunteer-fire-department
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: July 01, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »
At first I thought this was a metaphor about his songwriting of late, but apparently it's a real thing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1122 on: July 02, 2019, 12:59:55 AM »
At first I thought this was a metaphor about his songwriting of late, but apparently it's a real thing.

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: July 02, 2019, 01:50:13 AM »
Tony Kakko Trapped While Taking a Kakka   :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1124 on: July 02, 2019, 06:01:39 AM »
Sonata Fartica
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1125 on: July 08, 2019, 12:06:29 AM »
Don't know anything about these guys, but apparently Tony got stuck in a toilet stall for some reason. His post doesn't go into detail and it seems the informative one is in another language.

http://bravewords.com/news/sonata-arctica-frontman-tony-kakko-rescued-from-nuclear-blast-head-office-toilet-stall-by-volunteer-fire-department
"He should not lock the toilet door..." 🎶

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: July 11, 2019, 06:13:21 AM »
Black Shit
Kingdom for a Shart
Shit in Silence
Constipated No More
Explosion Preventer
Last Dop Falls

Haha didn't even have to do abything with the last one
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1127 on: July 19, 2019, 07:00:19 AM »
Tracklist for the new album, coming on the 6th of September:

01. Message From The Sun
02. Whirlwind
03. Cold
04. Storm The Armada
05. The Last Of The Lambs
06. Who Failed The Most
07. Ismo’s Got Good Reactors
08. Demon’s Cage
09. A Little Less Understanding
10. The Raven Still Flies
11. The Garden

The hell is track 7?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: July 19, 2019, 07:59:29 AM »
Probably something like Half a Marathon Man. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1129 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:51 AM »

01. Message From The Sun
02. Whirlwind
03. Cold
04. Storm The Armada
06. Who Failed The Most
08. Demon’s Cage
11. The Garden

I dig these titles a lot.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1130 on: July 19, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
I wonder if The Garden will be as good as The Garden.

Maybe Stadler will tend it... :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: July 19, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »

:lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: July 21, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
An instrumental, according to Tony: https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/6008010.71005.talviyoe.html I only know Ismo is a Finnish male name :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: July 23, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »

:lol :lol :lol
  :rollin that was good

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: July 23, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
For better or worse I just can't get Ismo's Got Good Reactors out of my head. That is just such a weird title for any style or genre of music, instrumental or not. I can't wait to hear it. Sonata's done that before, with Shitload of Money and Half A Marathon Man, interesting titles that make the anticipation for the new album a bit more exciting.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1135 on: July 24, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
For better or worse I just can't get Ismo's Got Good Reactors out of my head. That is just such a weird title for any style or genre of music, instrumental or not. I can't wait to hear it. Sonata's done that before, with Shitload of Money and Half A Marathon Man, interesting titles that make the anticipation for the new album a bit more exciting.
This takes me back to anticipating The Days of Grays, reading the tracklist on Myspace (hey, my country didn't mass migrate to Facebook until 2009 anyway :P), reading the title "Deathaura" and just... losing my fucking shit, thinking it's gonna be about the Warcraft games or something :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1136 on: July 24, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
Incidentally Deathaura is one of their best songs, possibly *the* best song at all after Unia.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1137 on: July 24, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
Incidentally Deathaura is one of their best songs, possibly *the* best song at all after Unia.
If you love symphonic metal, probably! I just have it connected to too many amusing memories to take it seriously, the lyrics were very easy to mishear and modify :biggrin: I loved The Ninth Hour with the exception of a few songs, so I'm interested to see Tony explore this sonic space between Reckoning Night-style power metal and Unia a little more before he goes off on a comparable symphonic metal tangent again.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1138 on: July 24, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »

01. Message From The Sun
02. Whirlwind
03. Cold
04. Storm The Armada
06. Who Failed The Most
08. Demon’s Cage
11. The Garden

I like the titles!

And the placing of A Little Less Understanding seems appropriate. Didn't mind the song, but it was totally unremarkable. One of the top rated comments was to put the songs speed on 1.25 in the youtube player, and that actually made it a lot better. Shame they made it so plodding. Hopefully live they will speed it up.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: July 24, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
A user from the Stratovarius forum translated a Q&A for the SA subreddit. Here's some info on Ismo's Got Good Reactors. It actually has meaning:

– Continuing with “Ismo’s Got Good Reactors”, the song is an instrumental track for a change...

Elias.- It's of course a song composed by Tony and I just play it (laughs), but many things happen in this song. I think Tony had the main melody for this track since he was thirteen or fourteen years old. It's a song you can easily play with the black keys in a piano. Musically I think it takes you around the world, from central-East Europe, going through Asia and Japan or something like that. When you're listening to the album, it's like stopping down for a moment to catch a breath, relax and let the music take you. I think the album itself is very deep, and not just with its lyrics but also with its musicality. But speaking about the name of the song, I think Tony wanted to explain something…

Tony.- Yeah, thanks! (laughs). Ismo is a very common name in Finland like Tony or Elias, but Ismo here really is my friend Mikko. He died about nine years ago at age forty two and he was a very close friend to me. His name was Mikko and not Ismo, but in a way they're the same person, and there's a story behind it. When he was twenty years old he was studying to become a school teacher, and of course he had to do practices with students, in this case with disabilities. He was with some students in area near a boat in a lake and a rock. When they tried to get the boar running, the engine started sinking and it was Mikko who by grabbing it managed to pull it out, and one of his students just said "¡Oh, Ismo’s Got Good Reactors”!, like referring to his ability as a hero to react in such situations, but of course, he got both the name and expression wrong at the time (laughs). It's a wonderful story that makes me remember my friend very dearly, and that's why this song has a very special meaning for me. It's not a sad song, but a fun one like he was. The story has been with me since I was ten or thirteen years old, so I wanted to represent it now. Ever since, every time that something falls or is about to fall, I say "Ismo, where are your reactors!?" (laughs).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1140 on: July 24, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »
Wow, that's a fantastic explanation. While I would not bother with an SA album, that song deserves a listen.

Thanks for posting that K.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: July 24, 2019, 10:44:05 PM »
Yeah, I thought it would be about danger to the environment, the usual stuff Tony writes these days. You know, reactors and all. This sounds nice, I'll check out the song.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1142 on: July 25, 2019, 01:05:27 AM »
A user from the Stratovarius forum translated a Q&A for the SA subreddit. Here's some info on Ismo's Got Good Reactors. It actually has meaning:

Well, I always figured there had to be a meaning, but that there could be no way to understand it unless explained it.

It's like we forumers would write a song called "This one is written in green", of course it has meaning, but how could someone outside this forum know that the green font means sarcasm?

Anyway, cool story and nice tribute from Tony to his friend!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1144 on: August 23, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8imDPFtw2P4

I was fine with Little Less Understanding, a bit plodding but it had some hooks. This one is suuuuper boring, unfortunately.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: August 23, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
Even the band looks like they're sick of it all and would rather be anywhere but there

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: August 24, 2019, 02:53:26 AM »
The first two minutes were alright and then I quickly lost interest, the second half was just a big pile of meh.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1147 on: August 25, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
Hmm.  I actually kind of liked it. 

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1148 on: August 25, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
Wow, the two songs so far are some of the most uninspired in their career imo. Still some hope for the other songs I guess.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: August 25, 2019, 02:52:50 PM »
Hmm.  I actually kind of liked it.

Yeah I thought it was pretty good and had a nice atmosphere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1150 on: August 28, 2019, 04:39:32 AM »
I am starting to realize that maybe the problem is the mixing / production. It just doesn't sound very good to my ear. Listening to Winterheart's Guild (that also has a colder winter feeling) the sound is just on another level. Cold has a very hard, muddy mix and well, cold, mixing. This has been a problem for a couple of releases now for me and maybe it's a bigger issue than I expect. Still the song doesn't do much but the mixing doesn't help.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1151 on: September 06, 2019, 02:23:46 AM »
New album out now on streaming services etc. I don't think this album will be a favorite (hope I am wrong) but at least hoping for some good moments here and there  ;D

Anyway, time to spin the album a couple of times.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1152 on: September 06, 2019, 02:55:30 AM »
I gave it a listen this morning on Spotify and yes the sound is poor (production/mix/master) but the songs themselves are even worse.
It sounds just so lifeless, lacking any kind of spark, or energy or anything remotely interesting to make me want to hear it again.

Really is unrecognisable as Sonata to me, and Tony Kakko should seriously look at this kind of stuff for a solo album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: September 06, 2019, 03:13:30 AM »
I'll check it out on my way home I guess, my expectations are extremely low.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1154 on: September 06, 2019, 04:18:47 AM »
After one listen, this is sounding not very good. The production really is quite poor. Some of the songs sounded decent (I quite liked Whirlwind and there was one later on that was quite good too) but a lot of them are just really bland. I'll give it a second listen but if it's not getting any better I'll probably just ignore it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.