Author Topic: Santorum: "I don't believe in the separation of church and state"  (Read 7277 times)

Offline ehra

Re: Santorum: "I don't believe in the separation of church and state"
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
I looked over that thread before making my post to be sure I didn't misconstrue what you said. Your exact posts were "    And by definition, belief in God does not allow for immorality or amorality." and "I just don't think those laws [preventing atheists from holding public office] are a bad idea.  Not sure what else I can say about that.  They would probably be considered unconstitutional under modern First Amendment jurisprudence, but still not a bad idea at all."

I don't think I was exaggerating those statements, but if I am please point out how.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
Yes, but spit-balling about hypotheticals and stating my belief that faith provides a stronger moral foundation does not necessarily equate to "atheists should not be able to hold public office."  Sorry if my prior opinions were stated so strongly that they may have given that impression.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ehra

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
Ok  :heart

Offline tofee35

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
In my personal experience, faith has provided me with a stronger moral foundation than when I was a nonbeliever. But, I don't know if that is true for everybody. I think some politicians use faith as a election tool instead of truly living by the moral system that faith portrays. It comes down to what, as voters, we believe to be true and what we can see right through in a politician.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
I think all of this talk about faith in politics is overblown right now because Rick Santorum says a lot of really dumb shit.  Look, I'm a registered Democrat and pretty much a liberal tree-hugger.  That's just who I am.  I've lived through many presidents, but haven't really been involved or paid attention to politics until around the time that Reagan won reelection.  Bill Clinton, who for all of his faults was still a president who presided over the biggest economic expansion in history, was a person of faith.  And even though he did some pretty dumb shit I thought he was a good president and didn't really care about his religion, mostly because he didn't wear it on his sleeve, but also because I agreed with his policies.  So there was no reason for me to point fingers at his faith and claim that it was a problem.

Along comes George W. Bush.  A guy who I vehemently disagree with across the board on policy.  And suddenly, the temptation to lay the blame for my hatred of him and his crappy policies at the feet of his stated religious beliefs was pretty strong.  But the fact is he is just a guy who had different political views than Bill Clinton and implemented policies I found repugnant in comparison to most of Clinton's policies and at the end of the day they were both still people of faith.  One I agreed with and one I did not disagree with.

I think a lot of people get very uptight about this religion angle when the person being discussed is someone they disagree with and it's almost like a argument by proxy.  It doesn't help when you have morons like Rick Santorum saying that church/state separation make him "want to throw up."  But come on people, every president that anyone reading this has lived to know has been a person who goes to church.  A person of faith.  It's just that now you have a guy out there making some very provocative statements in an effort to whip up support from a relatively small segment of society and everyone's freaking out about it. 

We're not going to get an avowed atheist president any time soon in the United States of America.  That's just a fact of life. The best we can hope for is a person who will make good decisions based simply on what is best for the country.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If they want to believe what's written in the bible, that's on them.  All I care about is that they make good decisions that help our country.  I don't really care all that much if their decisions are informed in part by their faith.  I didn't care about it when Bill Clinton was president, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and make it a big issue if Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum or Obama for that matter are our president.  To me, this is just a distraction.

Yes, people vote because they believe candidates share their faith.  If you're a democrat like me and you think Obama didn't get a large swath of votes because of his faith then you are deluding yourself.

First off, just let me say, this was a fantastic post. I for one don't have a problem with a candidate having faith, if that were the case I'd have to hate every president in history. The problem I have is, when they believe so strongly in their faith, that they assume god to be an answer to solving a lot of the country's problems, not the people within it.

Even though he is out of the race, I am going to use Rick Perry as an example. He had that day of prayer not too long ago in that football stadium. He said infront of the whole nation "Right now, America is in crisis, we have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters. As a nation, we must come together and call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy". To me this is nothing more than wishful thinking, not problem solving. Jesus didn't give us these freedoms, early American's greed and disregard for others is what put us on top, followed by the millions of people who have died in this country's name to keep us there. We can't just ask god to fix it and call it a day. We need to understand the world and the people within it, develop short and long term strategies, and assume that there is no help coming from god.

Some quotes from people at the event.

"I would vote for him. I would vote for him out of all the Republican candidates. He is not afraid to say this is a problem and this is how to fix it. Obama is not a leader"

and

"America was in decline economically and morally, and losing its influence abroad. The nation that forgets God is turned into hell. said. God had promised that through prayer this could be reversed, healing the land"

I'm all for people praying. But the thought that people think these are the means of fixing this country baffles me. Wouldn't God have prevented it from happening in the first place? What makes us so special? This event took place just after that massive Quake hit Japan. Isn't it selfish to think that we deserve attention and help due to our terrible decissions over the millions of people now homeless due to a natural dissaster? I just feel like having too much faith can be a bad thing, especially in politics. Guiding a country not by logic, but by hope just seems very irresponsible to me. This is why voting based on faith scares me. People don't know about real issues, or real solutions.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:06:41 AM by Chino »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »
I think it's worth pointing out that the recent president who pounded the most on religion and his faith guiding him (GWB) made the shoddiest decisions. If anything, the conclusion has to be that Jesus doesn't like the US.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »

hey, this is your first warning.
this is p/r.
this is not a place of  :heart but a place of  >:(

you have been warned

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »
I think it's worth pointing out that the recent president who pounded the most on religion and his faith guiding him (GWB) made the shoddiest decisions. If anything, the conclusion has to be that Jesus doesn't like the US.

rumborak

"He prayed a lot about Iraq, but he didn't learn anything from it" - Bill Maher

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:47 AM »
I think all of this talk about faith in politics is overblown right now because Rick Santorum says a lot of really dumb shit.  Look, I'm a registered Democrat and pretty much a liberal tree-hugger.  That's just who I am.  I've lived through many presidents, but haven't really been involved or paid attention to politics until around the time that Reagan won reelection.  Bill Clinton, who for all of his faults was still a president who presided over the biggest economic expansion in history, was a person of faith.  And even though he did some pretty dumb shit I thought he was a good president and didn't really care about his religion, mostly because he didn't wear it on his sleeve, but also because I agreed with his policies.  So there was no reason for me to point fingers at his faith and claim that it was a problem.

Along comes George W. Bush.  A guy who I vehemently disagree with across the board on policy.  And suddenly, the temptation to lay the blame for my hatred of him and his crappy policies at the feet of his stated religious beliefs was pretty strong.  But the fact is he is just a guy who had different political views than Bill Clinton and implemented policies I found repugnant in comparison to most of Clinton's policies and at the end of the day they were both still people of faith.  One I agreed with and one I did not disagree with.

I think a lot of people get very uptight about this religion angle when the person being discussed is someone they disagree with and it's almost like a argument by proxy.  It doesn't help when you have morons like Rick Santorum saying that church/state separation make him "want to throw up."  But come on people, every president that anyone reading this has lived to know has been a person who goes to church.  A person of faith.  It's just that now you have a guy out there making some very provocative statements in an effort to whip up support from a relatively small segment of society and everyone's freaking out about it. 

We're not going to get an avowed atheist president any time soon in the United States of America.  That's just a fact of life. The best we can hope for is a person who will make good decisions based simply on what is best for the country.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If they want to believe what's written in the bible, that's on them.  All I care about is that they make good decisions that help our country.  I don't really care all that much if their decisions are informed in part by their faith.  I didn't care about it when Bill Clinton was president, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and make it a big issue if Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum or Obama for that matter are our president.  To me, this is just a distraction.

Yes, people vote because they believe candidates share their faith.  If you're a democrat like me and you think Obama didn't get a large swath of votes because of his faith then you are deluding yourself.

First off, just let me say, this was a fantastic post. I for one don't have a problem with a candidate having faith, if that were the case I'd have to hate every president in history. The problem I have is, when they believe so strongly in their faith, that they assume god to be an answer to solving a lot of the country's problems, not the people within it.

Even though he is out of the race, I am going to use Rick Perry as an example. He had that day of prayer not too long ago in that football stadium. He said infront of the whole nation "Right now, America is in crisis, we have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters. As a nation, we must come together and call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy". To me this is nothing more than wishful thinking, not problem solving. Jesus didn't give us these freedoms, early American's greed and disregard for others is what put us on top, followed by the millions of people who have died in this country's name kept us there. We can just ask god to fix it and call it a day. We need to understand the world and the people within it, develope short and long term strategies, and assume that there is no help coming from god.

Some quotes from people at the event.

"I would vote for him. I would vote for him out of all the Republican candidates. He is not afraid to say this is a problem and this is how to fix it. Obama is not a leader"

and

"America was in decline economically and morally, and losing its influence abroad. The nation that forgets God is turned into hell. said. God had promised that through prayer this could be reversed, healing the land"

I'm all for people praying. But the thought that people think these are the means of fixing this country baffles me. Wouldn't God have prevented it from happening in the first place? What makes us so special? This event took place just after that massive Quake hit Japan. Isn't it selfish to think that we deserve attention and help due to our terrible decissions over the millions of people now homeless due to a natural dissaster? I just feel like having too much faith can be a bad thing, especially in politics. Guiding a country not by logic, but by hope just seems very irresponsible to me. This is why voting based on faith scares me. People don't know about real issues, or real solutions.

good post, Chino.  It reminds me of Solomon in Ecclesiastes who wrote, "do not be overly wicked or overly righteous."
I would only add that the biblical picture of a Christians role in life is to pursue what is excellent and that God will work through them to bring about what is best.  If a politician is truly a man of faith (but it is probably easier for a camel to go through an eye of a needle than for a person of true faith to make it that far up in the midst of all the corruption) then he will pursue every human avenue of excellence in his position, but his faith will give him peace in the fact that the sovereign God will be working through his decisions to bring about his will.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »

hey, this is your first warning.
this is p/r.
this is not a place of  :heart but a place of  >:(

you have been warned
:rollin
That made me spit tea.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
I'm not saying there aren't plenty of reasons to dislike Santorum, but is this particular issue that egregious?  I'm all for the separation of church having authority over the state and vice versa, but I don't think that's what Santorum is addressing.  Rather, he's making an observation that faith has become absent in politics entirely.

What business does faith have in politics anyway?

I would turn the question around and ask what business someone without faith has trying to hold him/herself out as being able to properly represent a nation of people, the majority of which claim to have one faith or the other? 

But the answer to your question is not difficult, although it may be difficult to understand for one who has no faith.  Faith should permeate one's life.  It isn't something you can draw fences around and allow to influence one part of your life and not others.  So as far as what business faith has in politics, for the politician who has faith, it has every business in politics.

Your faith can't rule the lives of those who don't agree with you. And that's what Santorum would like to accomplish, I imagine. That's why I think it's better to separate it from politics

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
And there are some very good historical reasons for maintaining that separation. All living memory of the Age of Religious Wars has long since been snuffed out, and I prefer to keep it that way.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TL

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
The key thing here is how badly Santorum missed the point of JFK's speech. How he could possibly have interpreted it the way he did if he actually read/listened to it is baffling.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
The key thing here is how badly Santorum missed the point of JFK's speech. How he could possibly have interpreted it the way he did if he actually read/listened to it is baffling.
I really can't see it as anything other than an intentional misrepresentation.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: