Author Topic: Family Guy Thread (& other MacFarlane shows)  (Read 79463 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Family Guy Thread (And other Seth McFarlane Projects)
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »

And that mostly sums up why FG isn't as funny anymore. In the latest new episode, Peter was being blatantly stupid beyond reason, and Lois was just there and ignoring it entirely. Meg is funny as the punching bag, except they make that too blatant as well, usually just punching her in the face or yelling at her. And Chris is hardly in the show anymore, but he's still a good character, and his retardedness still works well because it hasn't been overused. Stewie was funny when he had a subtle gay streak, but now it's just blatant. Even though the "must kill Lois" thing got old, the evil mastermind persona could still have a lot of life left in it, which is why episodes where he is making gadgets are usually the better ones now.
As for Brian, I honestly can't stand anything that comes out of his mouth anymore. I skip over episodes about him, because they're unbearable.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2009, 11:33:32 PM »
Based on that I'm glad I haven't watched much. Briang is spot on. Seasons 1-3 were the only real classic great episodes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »
I think the first half of season 4 was really good too. Then it took a nosedive somewhere around The Fat Guy Strangler. There were still a few really good episodes after that. Season 6 actually was pretty good, but season 7 was terrible, and seasons 8 is looking even worse so far.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »
Of all the season 4 episodes I did see, I will forever curse the Meg centered family band episode for bringing Don't Stop Believing into the spotlight again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »
:lol I must admit, I only know the song from that episode. And a few weeks ago I was at an engagement party and they put on some cover version of that song (sounded recent).
But you have to ask yourself, what's worse - Don't Stop Believing or Surfin' Bird? :|

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »
Have you heard?

about the bird? :neverusethis:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2009, 07:21:43 AM »

And that mostly sums up why FG isn't as funny anymore. In the latest new episode, Peter was being blatantly stupid beyond reason, and Lois was just there and ignoring it entirely. Meg is funny as the punching bag, except they make that too blatant as well, usually just punching her in the face or yelling at her. And Chris is hardly in the show anymore, but he's still a good character, and his retardedness still works well because it hasn't been overused. Stewie was funny when he had a subtle gay streak, but now it's just blatant. Even though the "must kill Lois" thing got old, the evil mastermind persona could still have a lot of life left in it, which is why episodes where he is making gadgets are usually the better ones now.
As for Brian, I honestly can't stand anything that comes out of his mouth anymore. I skip over episodes about him, because they're unbearable.

I've always wondered about this.  What happened, did they get new writers or something?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
Since this is a Seth MacFarlane thread, he plays an FBI agent in the first episode of FlashForward.  Although, I'm not sure if he'll be recurring.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
I've always wondered about this.  What happened, did they get new writers or something?

They always do. If you think the some writers have been on the show since the start you're kidding yourself. I think the Seasons 1-2 writers might've been the same but Season 3 had different writers and when the show came back they started with a whole new crew.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
You can change writers as long as certain people stick around and keep the show's tone consistent. Once the show lost Dave Zuckerman, Neil Goldman, and Garret Donovan, they were screwed.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »
Good episode yesterday.

Though Dan Akroyd and Chevy Chase should have had a better role

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
New American Dad was consistently great as usual, new Family Guy was consistently unfunny as usual. I haven't seen this week's episode of The Cleveland Show yet, but I expect more unfunny stuff.  
The Family Guy episode was silly. Dan Akroyd and Chevy Chase didn't do much, they didn't make any jokes, they felt like they were there purely for the sake of having celebrities. They added nothing to the plot.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2009, 10:45:17 AM »
Yeah, I thought that this season opened up strong with the multi-universe episode but the past two haven't been great.

I'm still enjoying the Cleavland show but I do not like his redneck neighbor or any of Cleavland's guy friends for that matter.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
I was laughing at the multi-universe episode until I watched the next one.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »
The new stuff so far:

* Road To Multiverse: Strong season premiere, like everyone else I loved the disney world, wanted more of the non-cartoon one.
* Family Goy: Loved this episode, Jewish Stewie was just too damn funny.
* Spies Reminiscent of Us: The guest stars were lame but still the episode had a couple of funny cutaways here and there.

I liked The Cleveland Show, looks like it's gonna have a promising future, but it's still taking off so give it a chance.
American Dad has been cool, still my least favorite McFarlane project.
Brian has been libral since the 4th season, nothing new really happened in the last couple of years except the increasing Stewie gay references, the person who made that comparison picture must be from the Palin family heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
Or just someone who has been watching the show and noticing the obvious character changes.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Nope, not that, I've been watching and I did notice the characters changing but nothing that extreme.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »
The picture seems pretty accurate to me, and there's really no way to excuse the decline in writing.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
last night's episode was pretty terrible.  i laughed once.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
I just watched this week's episode of The Cleveland Show. I think I'm about ready to give up on this show. This week's episode was slightly funnier, but they've ruined the integrity of Cleveland, and it's becoming as painful as Family Guy to watch, whereas the previous episodes were tolerable, just not funny.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »
Just watched episode 3. Holy crap that was weak...

I'm not even going to bother with The Cleveland Show, to be honest.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »
I think I have yet to find anyone who even remotely likes The Cleveland Show. I don't know what they saw in this show to sign it up for 2 seasons already, but it's by far the weakest of the 3 shows.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
I think I have yet to find anyone who even remotely likes The Cleveland Show. I don't know what they saw in this show to sign it up for 2 seasons already, but it's by far the weakest of the 3 shows.

I just saw the third episode, I agree with you about it being weak but I'm still gonna give it a chance til the end of this season, I think any show would take more than 8 to 10 episodes to really take off.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2009, 10:17:59 AM »

I just saw the third episode, I agree with you about it being weak but I'm still gonna give it a chance til the end of this season, I think any show would take more than 8 to 10 episodes to really take off.

True, but it's not even showing promise, and the trend is towards bad. I probably will give it a few more episodes, but American Dad and Family Guy started off much better than this, and they were both at least a bit funny, without the annoyances. But this is starting off actually bad. And the only reason I've given it the benefit of the doubt at all so far is because I like American Dad and Family Guy (to a much lesser extent).

Offline Chico

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
CLEVELAND SHOW SUCKS ASS, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!!!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:10 PM »
I don't know what they saw in this show to sign it up for 2 seasons already,

Hollywood is weird. If you're a creative with no track record, they treat you like a Mexican day laborer. Once you're successful enough, they'll go along with even you're dumbest ideas to act like you're their friend. I think all shows should have a chance at a full 22 episode season, even bad ones, but contractually obligating yourself to a second season on unproven material is absurd.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2009, 07:52:28 PM »

That was a very informative post.

I'm going to continue watching it. I still think it has potential, and there is no shortage of laughs in Rilo's character

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »

That was a very informative post.

I'm going to continue watching it. I still think it has potential, and there is no shortage of laughs in Rilo's character

Oh yeah him! I like him, dude you're my only soul mate in this thread hehe  :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »

Hollywood is weird. If you're a creative with no track record, they treat you like a Mexican day laborer. Once you're successful enough, they'll go along with even you're dumbest ideas to act like you're their friend. I think all shows should have a chance at a full 22 episode season, even bad ones, but contractually obligating yourself to a second season on unproven material is absurd.

This.  The reason they've signed it on to 2 seasons is because they know that whether or not it's good, people are gonna watch it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »

I definitely agree. A lot of the best shows take at least a little while to find their stride, but a lot of shows get canceled after only a few episodes. Shows need time to find and develop their style, and find an audience. If they gave shows half a chance, they'd build an audience and become a lot more popular than regularly dumping shows and bringing out new ones until one finds instant ratings.
They need people insightful enough to judge shows on potential rather than purely on the numbers, but unfortunately numbers are a lot more objective for them than the risk of giving a show time.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2009, 07:33:46 AM »
Recent Inside The Actor's Studio interview, very funny and interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skSAPMyirtI

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
Currently watching the Family Goy episode for the first time.  I'm about five minutes in, and I'd already say it's the most unfunny Family Guy episode I've ever seen.  Holy hell, the series really did go downhill.

Edit: Almost 10 minutes into it and just as the internet picture said, all the new Family Guy stereotypes are coming out of the woodwork.  Stewie has had an obligatory gay moment, Brian had his obligatory liberal douche moment, the narrator made a knock on Meg, and Peter and Chris have done something retarded. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:56:34 PM by Super Dude »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »
Currently watching the Family Goy episode for the first time.  I'm about five minutes in, and I'd already say it's the most unfunny Family Guy episode I've ever seen.  Holy hell, the series really did go downhill.

Edit: Almost 10 minutes into it and just as the internet picture said, all the new Family Guy stereotypes are coming out of the woodwork.  Stewie has had an obligatory gay moment, Brian had his obligatory liberal douche moment, the narrator made a knock on Meg, and Peter and Chris have done something retarded. :facepalm:

You didn't like this episode? I'd have thought that you would find this funny...

I laughed my ass off during this episode.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »
It's all the same tired Jew jokes, nothing new under the sun.  Woo, we like money and bagels.  I spent half the episode either chuckling lightly or going, "Meh."

The only shocker was the profuse Holocaust jokes, and that I just found stupid and awkward.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »
I fucking love bagels.

Not gonna lie

But I'm glad they used Ben Stein's voice for the Rabbi again. I love his voice