Author Topic: Family Guy Thread (& other MacFarlane shows)  (Read 79460 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Family Guy Thread (And other Seth McFarlane Projects)
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »

Road To Multiverse; the first episode of season 8 is announced and set to air September 27th, Stewie & Brian travel different dimensions with alternate realities to their own, I love the poster; on the upper left corner it looks like they go to a dimension where they're not cartoon characters!!!
Excited!

That looks like it could be cool, but is anyone else seriously sick of the continuing "Road to...." storylines? It's been done too many times, and I'm sick of them doing a musical number every time. I'm still interested in seeing this though. As usual I'll skip the obligatory musical bit.

I love them. And I love the musical bits. And in 'Road to Germany', they didn't do a song. They were about to, but Mort screamed: 'will you just get in the f***ing time maching!' :lol

I'm looking forward to this one.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »
The season premiere of the three shows was a few hours ago,did anybody see it?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »
I didn't realize it was that time already. What was the Cleveland show like? (I'd like an answer from people who actually like Family Guy/American Dad please)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2009, 11:55:03 PM »
The Cleveland Show was inferior to the other 2 McFarlane shows.

I don't see it having a long run.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
The Cleveland Show was inferior to the other 2 McFarlane shows.

I don't see it having a long run.

Well it's already signed up for two full seasons, so bad or not it's around for a little longer. I didn't expect it would live up to the other two. Family Guy has gone downhill lately, but it still has some funny moments, and I actually really love American Dad. But the premise for the Cleveland Show doesn't seem anything new, and seems like they're making it a bit too silly instead of plausible, which is when Family Guy and American Dad are usually at their best.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »
They have an antromorphic (or however it's spell) bear as part of the regular cast, with an annoying voice and some kind of European accent. A stereotypical redneck, a kinda white-trying-to-hard-to-be-hip-and-black guy (which was actually kinda funny) and the rest everyone saw on the commercial.

So far, it's not good. They even brought the cutaway gags to this show, why? Let that be a FG thing only!

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 12:13:22 AM »
Oh no, but the lack of cutaway gags is exactly what made American Dad better :sadpanda:
That is a Family Guy trademark, and they were smart enough to not carry it over to America Dad, and they should keep it that way. Surely there's no shortage of space for them to fit their randomness in Family Guy. If they want the show to succeed as its own show, it needs to develop its own style of humour.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
I'm hoping, well thinking is better put, that maybe they just did it tonight to try to bring in the same audience that sees Family Guy. Do some cutaways to establish the audience and after they've establish it let the show develop it's own sense of humor.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 12:19:56 AM »
I'm hoping, well thinking is better put, that maybe they just did it tonight to try to bring in the same audience that sees Family Guy. Do some cutaways to establish the audience and after they've establish it let the show develop it's own sense of humor.

Maybe, although they didn't with American Dad. Although maybe that's why they're trying to stick closer to Family Guy. I just watched the trailer on YouTube (I can't believe I hadn't even bothered to do that yet), and it didn't look funny at all. If they can't manage to make a 2 minute trailer funny, then I'm not optimistic. But I'll probably watch it for a little while and give it a chance. There are many shows that don't find their stride until a season or two in.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »
They didn't with American Dad, yes, but you have to remember that with American Dad they were starting with new characters from the get go. The Cleveland Show has an established character from another show with an established sense of humor. I think it's entirely possible that they are going for that same sense of humor to get an audience, then letting the show have a different one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 12:30:34 AM »
Good point. I didn't think of that. The fact it's a spinoff does suggest they're trying to capture the same audience more directly than American Dad did. I really wish they'd tried something entirely new though. I'd be interested to see what they would have done. But the whole "average american family in crazy situations" thing has gotten a bit old. And that goes for The Simpsons too. Random humour is best when it's not expected every minute.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 06:58:20 AM »
Premieres were sweet :metal

Laughed my ass off all night. The Cleveland Show was pretty good, I thought.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »
Hey anybody remember Seth MacFarlane's show The Winner?

Yeah, neither do I.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Just watched the clevland show and I enjoyed it, I'll keep watching and see where they take it.

As for the new Family Guy episode, I like it, a lot, no musical number and seeing the alternate universe was pretty fun.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
Just watched the clevland show and I enjoyed it, I'll keep watching and see where they take it.

As for the new Family Guy episode, I like it, a lot, no musical number and seeing the alternate universe was pretty fun.

huh?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 12:02:03 PM »

They did have the Disney bit, but that was actually pretty decent unlike the usual Brian/Stewie ones. It was a fairly decent episode, aside from the usual Brian stuff.
Currently watching the new American Dad episode. Not really liking it actually. It's just weird and pointless.
Haven't seen the Cleveland Show yet.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »
The premier episode was GREAT. And Disney Family Guy made my life.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »
Disney Family Guy made my life.
Yeah definitely the best part. Very good episode.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »

huh?

Oh yeah the disney bit, completely spaced on it, didn't register as a musical number, shit now I'm laughing thinking of the disney universe.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
Watched the Cleveland Show pilot. Not great, not awful. There's a potentially decent show in there, simply because unlike most sitcoms, it averts the standard dumb husband cliche. The pilot is actually about Cleveland trying to do the right thing and not making endless mistakes until improbable happenstance strikes at the end.

I still think it won't work because the premise is so weak, but it's not totally hopeless. Who knows.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
Watched the Cleveland Show pilot. Not great, not awful. There's a potentially decent show in there, simply because unlike most sitcoms, it averts the standard dumb husband cliche. The pilot is actually about Cleveland trying to do the right thing and not making endless mistakes until improbable happenstance strikes at the end.

I still think it won't work because the premise is so weak, but it's not totally hopeless. Who knows.

I just saw it, and I agree. It was better than I expected. Not as funny as a good FG/AD episode, but it did have a couple of good jokes in there. The flashbacks weren't too annoying, because unlike FG they didn't feel thrown in just to pad up the storyline, and they only did it 2 or 3 times. Introducing the other characters felt a bit rushed, and they didn't get a chance to develop them, so hopefully there's some potential there for later episodes. It was good enough for me to keep watching it for now and give it a chance to see where it goes.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 12:05:17 AM »

I just saw it, and I agree. It was better than I expected. Not as funny as a good FG/AD episode, but it did have a couple of good jokes in there. The flashbacks weren't too annoying, because unlike FG they didn't feel thrown in just to pad up the storyline, and they only did it 2 or 3 times. Introducing the other characters felt a bit rushed, and they didn't get a chance to develop them, so hopefully there's some potential there for later episodes. It was good enough for me to keep watching it for now and give it a chance to see where it goes.

All of this.

EDIT:
I just watched the new Family Guy and it was pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:36:11 AM by JoshVoorhees »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
Sunday's episode made me lol so hard.

Especially the Shakespeare bit

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »
I didn't like this week's episode of Family Guy. Back to their usual crap. The Shakespeare bit (and most of the other flashback bits) was good though. There were a few good moments, but as usual the story really let it down.
What was the Cleveland Show like this week compared to last week?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
It was pretty good. Rilo is one the best characters between all of Seth's projects. So funny

EDIT: The FG episode was hilarious if you were Jewish, so I think I may be biased

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
It was pretty good. Rilo is one the best characters between all of Seth's projects. So funny

EDIT: The FG episode was hilarious if you were Jewish, so I think I may be biased

Is Rilo the little kid? He was the only thing that made me laugh in the first episode. None of the other characters did much. None of the others seem to have much comedy potential.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2009, 09:06:59 AM »

Road To Multiverse; the first episode of season 8 is announced and set to air September 27th, Stewie & Brian travel different dimensions with alternate realities to their own, I love the poster; on the upper left corner it looks like they go to a dimension where they're not cartoon characters!!!
Excited!
[south park quote]SIMPSONS DID IT[/south park quote]

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »
This week's American Dad was amazing. I was laughing the entire way through. Probably one of my favourite episodes ever. :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »
I saw about 10 minutes of The Cleveland Show the other night and had to turn it off. Whoever thought it was a good idea needs to be beaten about the head repeatedly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »
Really quick:

Family Guy = awesome, witty, funny, brutal, in your face , funny(i know)

The Cleavland show = bad

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:21 PM »
Btw, for those of you who want to give MacFarlane shit for The Cleveland Show, it's done by Mike Henry (voice-over of Cleveland, used to be writer on Family Guy as well), Seth has hardly anything to do with the writing as far as I know.
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline briang

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »
Everything past season 3 of Family Guy is awful.

Yes, I am beating a dead horse, and yes , I know that nobody cares.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »
So sad but so true.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
I still find it funny every time