Author Topic: Family Guy Thread (& other MacFarlane shows)  (Read 79459 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Family Guy Thread (& other MacFarlane shows)
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »
Family Guy is returning in September with season 8 premiere; the sequal to Blue Harvest, this time covering The Empire Strikes Back.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:15:38 AM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
Re: Family Guy Thread (And other Seth McFarlane Projects)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:08:56 AM »
american dad is pretty terrible. but cleveland could be funny.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »
Yeah American Dad was not good at all. I didn't know about The Cleveland Show though, should be interesting. Although he is not exactly the funniest character in FG by a long shot.

Family Guy is a really great and funny show, just my kind of humor.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline staveoffzombies

• Mostly Harmless
  • Oversized hats are cute.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
yeah american dad is pretty bad. but i am excited for the cleveland show!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:57:04 AM »
Ugh. The Cleveland Show looks pretty much like a Family Guy rip-off. No, thanks.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »
Ugh. The Cleveland Show looks pretty much like a Family Guy rip-off. No, thanks.
This. 

I stopped watching Family Guy during season 6, I think.  Pre-cancellation was amazing, as was Season 4.  Season 5 was good, but by 6, it was just getting old.  The jokes that got on my nerves the worst were the "mandatory chicken fight in each season" and the long-winded, dry conversations that didn't actually have any jokes in it only to lead to a very underwhelming punchline.  These moments would actually make me look at the clock to figure out when it was going to be over, or I switched it to the Food Network.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »
biggest family guy fan checking in :metal

the cleveland show has a lot of potential, i think

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised at the dislike for American Dad, I find it much cleverer than Family Guy and on the whole very funny.

Family Guy has seemed to get somewhat back on track recently, and I'm looking forward to the new Star Wars one because Blue Harvest was hilarious :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »
i like family guy. season six is funny

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
We gotta wait until September to see the Star Wars one! Dang. Blue Harvest was halarious.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
I personally love American Dad. Not too many things make me laugh out loud, and that show has one moment every few episodes that makes me hysterical.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »
I feel like American Dad is where McFarlane is putting all his comedic potential because Family Guy seems to be running on autopilot. The first 3 seasons will always be classics, 3 being my personal favorite, but after a decent start to season 4 and a steady decline into more obvious humor I just couldn't get into it anymore. I dunno if it was the oversaturation of side characters the new writers dug up from the first 3 seasons (including overusing Herbert to the point where he lost his charm), the really, really long jokes you know had that "if it goes on for too long it'll surpass not being funny and become funny again" vibe about them, the change from semi-obscure movie/80s references that suddenly jumped to really obscure references that lose the joke on about 95% of the audience, the increased frequency/irrelevancy of the flashback sequences, or just the lack of wit in the jokes, which seasons 1-3 had. I find a lot of stuff funny but the only people these new episodes seemed to make laugh were my old stoner roommates.

Two other things:

The Cleveland show sounds like the result of McFarlane and a bunch of buddies drinking and laughing then one guy goes "dude....we should totally make a show about Cleveland!". Once everyone thinks that concept is so ridiculous it's funny they spout off dumb ideas that are equally as ridiculous which makes them funny in a very sad, stupid way. Then these ideas turn into a show. At least that's how I envision it from the concept because I don't care how confident you are, making a spin-off based on the most boring character in a show is incredibly stupid.

Another thing, the giant chicken fights were never funny. Ever. The first one had charm because of its randomness but when they brought it back it was clearly the new writers lacking any good material and reaching back to take anything they could get their hands on.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
Yeah, I'll give The Cleveland Show a chance, but I'm not counting on liking it. And wouldn't it also be appropriate to add the characters as they are, I mean, he doesn't really have a family in Family Guy, just a wife. Now he suddenly has kids?

Offline TL

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »
American Dad is the only McFarlane show I like at all, and I have a feeling that it's largely due to McFarlane spending all his writing time on Family Guy. Once he stopped contributing his shitty political humor to AD, it really took off.

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
the really hope Cleveland show rules

i actualy liked the last season of family guy though
only problem is, lately, family guy has been going more and more overboard with offensive jokes
more and more, they're crossing that line between funny andjust plain wrong

oh and American Dad kinda sucks

Offline j

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
I used to like Family Guy, and my fiance still loves it, but it's pretty lame and un-funny overall.  It definitely has its moments, but the humor has been so formulaic since the second or third season that I completely lost interest.  Haven't watched much of American Dad, but from what I've seen it seems to be just more of the same.  Maybe I'll give that one another shot soon.

-J

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »
the really hope Cleveland show rules

i actualy liked the last season of family guy though
only problem is, lately, family guy has been going more and more overboard with offensive jokes
more and more, they're crossing that line between funny andjust plain wrong

oh and American Dad kinda sucks

The Mary Poppins joke? That was too much.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »
I feel like American Dad is where McFarlane is putting all his comedic potential because Family Guy seems to be running on autopilot. The first 3 seasons will always be classics, 3 being my personal favorite, but after a decent start to season 4 and a steady decline into more obvious humor I just couldn't get into it anymore. I dunno if it was the oversaturation of side characters the new writers dug up from the first 3 seasons (including overusing Herbert to the point where he lost his charm), the really, really long jokes you know had that "if it goes on for too long it'll surpass not being funny and become funny again" vibe about them, the change from semi-obscure movie/80s references that suddenly jumped to really obscure references that lose the joke on about 95% of the audience, the increased frequency/irrelevancy of the flashback sequences, or just the lack of wit in the jokes, which seasons 1-3 had. I find a lot of stuff funny but the only people these new episodes seemed to make laugh were my old stoner roommates.
Completely agree with all of this paragraph, particularly regarding Herbert. However, I've seen a couple of the most recent series and it definitely picked up again, not to the standard of seasons 1-3, but still a lot better (and more consistent) than pretty much anything they've done since.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
can;t wait for Something, Something, Something, Darkside.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
Yeah, I'll give The Cleveland Show a chance, but I'm not counting on liking it. And wouldn't it also be appropriate to add the characters as they are, I mean, he doesn't really have a family in Family Guy, just a wife. Now he suddenly has kids?

He always had Cleveland Jr, even if we didn't see him much (now the fat kid), and if you remember, Cleveland and Loretta split up. The show is centered around a promise to a high school girlfriend Cleveland made, that they would get together if things didn't go well for them. She has some kids on her own.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »

He always had Cleveland Jr, even if we didn't see him much (now the fat kid), and if you remember, Cleveland and Loretta split up. The show is centered around a promise to a high school girlfriend Cleveland made, that they would get together if things didn't go well for them. She has some kids on her own.

Was that the hyperactive kid that Peter once taught golf lessons to? I remember that being in an episode.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
Yeah, same kid. He looks completely different in this though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:22 AM »
One of the most inconsistent shows ever. Sometimes it's pure genius, sometimes it's just godawful. I tend to go on Family Guy cycles, alternating between watching it a lot for a while and not watching it at all for a while.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »

Road To Multiverse; the first episode of season 8 is announced and set to air September 27th, Stewie & Brian travel different dimensions with alternate realities to their own, I love the poster; on the upper left corner it looks like they go to a dimension where they're not cartoon characters!!!
Excited!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »
The Cleavland show should be awesome.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
Family Guy is great, American Dad, not so much.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
I think a Quagmire show would have been a better idea, but I'll give Cleaveland a chance :p

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »
I think a Quagmire show would have been a better idea, but I'll give Cleaveland a chance :p

agreed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 12:31:46 AM »

Road To Multiverse; the first episode of season 8 is announced and set to air September 27th, Stewie & Brian travel different dimensions with alternate realities to their own, I love the poster; on the upper left corner it looks like they go to a dimension where they're not cartoon characters!!!
Excited!

That looks like it could be cool, but is anyone else seriously sick of the continuing "Road to...." storylines? It's been done too many times, and I'm sick of them doing a musical number every time. I'm still interested in seeing this though. As usual I'll skip the obligatory musical bit.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 01:43:35 AM »
They're really underdoing the concept by squashing something like that into one episode. I'd make at least two.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 12:05:41 PM »
I thought the first episode was supposed to be Something, Something, Something Darkside?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
I thought the first episode was supposed to be Something, Something, Something Darkside?

I'm not sure if it got pushed back, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be mid season now.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »

I'm not sure if it got pushed back, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be mid season now.

shit monkeys.