Author Topic: This is one of the biggest problems I have with religious beliefs.  (Read 87587 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: This is one of the biggest problems I have with religious beliefs.
« Reply #140 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
Loving God is called the most important commandment. You completely submit to his will for your life. That's not what society considers 'normal'.

Loving God, no offense, makes almost no difference to anything in terms of leading your life in society. You're not giving presents to God, you don't help him to get over the street. I mean, you can't even tell whether someone loves God or not, by anything. Otherwise people wouldn't accuse Obama of being a fricking Muslim.
And of course dude, it's a religion, of course you have to submit its deity. That fact really doesn't mean much.

But, I agree with your following statement:

You're probably thinking of lukewarm Christians that try to appease everyone.

Indeed, I'm mostly thinking of the "mass Christian", the one whose life isn't overly dominated by his belief. The one who goes to church every Sunday and probably prays at night, but other than that he/she is just a normally functioning member of society. I would argue that those Christians are the majority, and the reason for Christianity's popularity. A religion that doesn't allow for this kind of "milquetoast" approach to it would never have become the state religion of the Roman Empire.

rumborak
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:23:32 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #141 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
Loving God is called the most important commandment. You completely submit to his will for your life. That's not what society considers 'normal'.

Loving God, no offense, makes almost no difference to anything in terms of leading your life in society. You're not giving presents to God, you don't help him to get over the street.
It makes a huge difference. Example: without God I would be totally content living a career-driven life. The more houses the better. With God I pretty much don't even give myself the option of being rich, even if I have a high income. I'm a college kid so I haven't had much opportunity to give financially, but that's the plan.

And what's this about not giving presents to God? What do you think tithing is? What do you think the phrase 'to God be the glory' is all about?

You're probably thinking of lukewarm Christians that try to appease everyone.

Indeed, I'm mostly thinking of the "mass Christian", the one whose life isn't overly dominated by his belief. The one who goes to church every Sunday and probably prays at night, but other than that he/she is just a normally functioning member of society. I would argue that those Christians are the majority, and the reason for Christianity's popularity. A religion that doesn't allow for this kind of "milquetoast" approach to it would never have become the state religion of the Roman Empire.

rumborak
I'm sensing a bait, but I'm not taking it because the formation and growth of Christianity are irrelevant to our discussion.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:36:37 AM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:32 AM »
It makes a huge difference. Example: without God I would be totally content living a career-driven life. The more houses the better. With God I pretty much don't even give myself the option of being rich, even if I have a high income. I'm a college kid so I haven't had much opportunity to give financially, but that's the plan.

H, you've been on this forum long enough to not bring this, sorry, lame-ass argument.
a) Cultures around the world that don't have your God aren't these crazy-driven people only looking out for their career
b) There are many devout Christians who *do* only look out for their career.

You are the way you are because very likely, that's your natural disposition. You're just not that career-driven to begin with. You might personally think it's because of your love of God, but the statistics strongly speak against that. And frankly, personal anecdotal evidence almost never holds up.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #143 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »

H, you've been on this forum long enough to not bring this, sorry, lame-ass argument.
a) Cultures around the world that don't have your God aren't these crazy-driven people only looking out for their career
b) There are many devout Christians who *do* only look out for their career.
Right, because when I used 'I' as the subject of my example, I was clearly making a broad generalization that could be applied to everyone.

You are the way you are because very likely, that's your natural disposition. You're just not that career-driven to begin with. You might personally think it's because of your love of God, but the statistics strongly speak against that. And frankly, personal anecdotal evidence almost never holds up.
You don't know me - how are you supposed to know what my natural disposition is? When I was in high school, all I could think about is the hope of one day being on top, that nerds win in the end. So I took a buttload of hard classes and tried to go to the best university I could. My first declared major was chemical engineering because petroleum engineering is the job with the highest starting salary, given just a BS. I stuck with that for a while. Now my disposition's different.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
People never grow up? Your story is the same story that a lot of people have, all of whom had that "experience" without God's help. I have quite different goals from when I went to highschool. Shouldn't I be stuck in whatever I wanted in high-school, given that I don't believe in God?

You gave your personal experience as an example, for the obvious intent of later generalizing from it (why else would you bring it as a counter-argument to my post that talks about general effects?). If your sole point is "what you say might be true for other, but I am different", fair enough, but I think that's backtracking on your part.
The fact that people live their lives according to their natural disposition has been well-researched and documented. For example, despite people claiming that their marriage made them a happier person, research found that after an initial jump in happiness, people quickly return to their natural state of content or discontent. Same thing really.

rumborak

Offline jammindude

« Reply #145 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »

rumborak

And by Jesus own definition...they aren't *really* Christians. 

It's not for me to judge on an individual basis.   But Jesus did say that there would be many people who *claimed* to be following him...but wouldn't be following his example and "doing the will of the father.   Jesus also said that the mass of humanity would be on the road to destruction, and only a very few would *even find* (much less take the effort to walk) the cramped and narrow road to life.

Human nature is about self service.

Christianity is about self sacrifice. 

I can stand in a garage yelling "VROOM VROOM"...that doesn't make me a car.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #146 on: February 29, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »

:facepalm:

The entire point of this discussion is that it's not just about self service.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #147 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
If human nature was strictly about self service, then it would have died out long before Jesus ever came.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #148 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
If human nature was strictly about self service, then it would have died out long before Jesus ever came.
One could argue that that it is in the self's best interest to preserve his species or tribe.

Online Adami

« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
One could argue that that it is in the self's best interest to preserve his species or tribe.

We are interested in the survival of the species. Which makes us by and large team players. If you want to relate that all back to self interest, then we're just dealing with semantics here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
And by Jesus own definition...they aren't *really* Christians. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

I take it you don't read much about evolutionary biology? The last 10 years of research in that field has shown beyond doubt that humans (and other animals) are inherently social.
People don't call others "selfish assholes" because they are Christians. They do so because they are inherently repulsed by that way of living.

rumborak

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »
all I could think about is the hope of one day being on top, that nerds win in the end

The secret is to steal the Darth Vader mask, put it on, and follow her over to the "Moon Walk" room.  Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE OFF THE DARTH VADER MASK!  Even if she asks you to.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »

And yet societies have imploded throughout history.  But now, more so than ever before, we're looking at a *world* society.  And as long as human society ignores God's direction, it will implode en masse just like every other society has throughout history. 

And while it is true that human nature is not 100% pure self service, it fails to live up to God's standard..."For hardly will anyone die for a righteous [man]; indeed, for the good [man], perhaps, someone even dares to die. But God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  (Rom 5: 7, 8)

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »

We are interested in the survival of the species. Which makes us by and large team players. If you want to relate that all back to self interest, then we're just dealing with semantics here.
We are interested in the survival of the species inasmuch as we are the benefactors.  This, to me, is not semantics, though I can see what you're getting at.  There are far nobler things than just survival of the fittest, and man neglects these things with great frequency.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
People never grow up? Your story is the same story that a lot of people have, all of whom had that "experience" without God's help. I have quite different goals from when I went to highschool. Shouldn't I be stuck in whatever I wanted in high-school, given that I don't believe in God?

You gave your personal experience as an example, for the obvious intent of later generalizing from it (why else would you bring it as a counter-argument to my post that talks about general effects?). If your sole point is "what you say might be true for other, but I am different", fair enough, but I think that's backtracking on your part.
The fact that people live their lives according to their natural disposition has been well-researched and documented. For example, despite people claiming that their marriage made them a happier person, research found that after an initial jump in happiness, people quickly return to their natural state of content or discontent. Same thing really.

rumborak

What I'm saying is this: God, like any other thing, can influence lives. It was by sheer luck that I discovered prog rock, but it's completely shaped my view of music. I am a different person because of it. Maybe mentally, I'm the same, but as you'll agree we are more than our mental state.

Online Adami

« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
Man has no interest in survival of the fittest, that just happens beyond our desires or control.

And to be fair, one could argue that a good amount of christians are interested in eternal reward. How many christians would still be devoted to god if there was no reward and no eternal life?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:52 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

I believe that the difference, is that "no true scotsman" deals with people who set *their own* parameters.   That is NOT the argument I'm making.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
What I'm saying is this: God, like any other thing, can influence lives. It was by sheer luck that I discovered prog rock, but it's completely shaped my view of music. I am a different person because of it. Maybe mentally, I'm the same, but as you'll agree we are more than our mental state.

I am not saying your God has made no impact at all in your life, obviously he has, just like prog rock. I am arguing against the proposition that a deity can be considered the main cause for a person's morality. That is simply plain wrong, and the statistics and demographics speak very loudly to that effect.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
The human conscience's moral disposition is in alignment with Christianity. Therefore Christianity is wrong

Offline jammindude

« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Don't know why my post turned out weird....  but anyway...

You see, *by definition*...."A Scotsman" is born of Scottish heritage.   "true Scotsman" becomes a subjective term based on the opinions of the person relating the opinion. 

*By definition* a Christian is one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.    A person cannot make a practice of hating his fellow man and be a Christian...because it would be like saying, "I'm a vegetarian that's open to new ideas....like eating meat."    You can't chow down on a Prime Rib and call yourself a vegetarian.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
The human conscience's moral disposition is in alignment with Christianity. Therefore Christianity is wrong

Maaaaan, H, wtf. Nobody is saying that.

Christianity isn't wrong. Christianity just isn't the cause.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong also, but scripture never makes that claim to begin with, does it? The 10 commandments are commandments. It never says you wouldn't do it in the first place without those commandments.

rumborak

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »
Man has no interest in survival of the fittest, that just happens beyond our desires or control.

And to be fair, one could argue that a good amount of christians are interested in eternal reward. How many christians would still be devoted to god if there was no reward and no eternal life?
Absolutely, and that is a fair statement.  And Paul would say that Christians are most to be pitied if there is no eternal reward.  But, Paul would also say that the reward is not some place in the sky on a cloud, but it is to be with God.  A Christian in the true sense is not motivated by the carrot on the string, but by the God who has loved him and bought him.  This is the principle I operate on.

Also, it is a Christian's (in the truest and most biblical sense) desire for others to know this God, because this God is limitless in his giving to his children.  Christianity, when misunderstood, becomes totally ineffective and without Christ when the Christian's salvation is where his journey ends.  Christianity is also not about rule making and depriving others of their desires.  It is about maximizing those desires in their fullest sense.

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »
And yet societies have imploded throughout history.  But now, more so than ever before, we're looking at a *world* society.  And as long as human society ignores God's direction, it will implode en masse just like every other society has throughout history. 

And you think this couldn't happen with a Christian nation? if so, do you have any other evidence for this than just the bible and your faith?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
Germany in the 1930s was definitely a Christian nation. The Roman Empire was a Christian nation at the end. Need more?

rumborak

Offline jammindude

« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

And you think this couldn't happen with a Christian nation? if so, do you have any other evidence for this than just the bible and your faith?

Rum will probably try to pull the "no true scotsman" card again...but really...by Biblical definitions (which is where the term was invented in the first place) there's *never* been a Christian nation.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »
Oh boy. :lol

I've heard that argument before, regarding Communism. All the ones that failed were never really Communist in the first place. Makes it easy to keep clinging to your ideal, I guess, by simply rejecting the counter-examples.

rumborak

Online Adami

« Reply #166 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »
The purity argument just isn't going to go anywhere.

It leads to the inevitable human idea that if everyone believed exactly what they did, that everything would be fine.

And that's just never the case.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
Not only that, but if it requires an unachievable amount of purity to have any noticeable effect, what does that say about its supposed divine design? "Folks, here's my religion. In case you wondered, you can't win. I designed humanity to never achieve the purity it would need. ttyl."

rumborak

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #168 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Since we're talking about this in the context of religious beliefs, God helps you to do this.  Even though failure happens with great consistency, God knows what we are dealing with.  There's a lot of room for grace.  Not just for "good" or "true" Christians, but for the ones who do lack understanding, yet are humble in their dealings with their fellow man.

So, to sum it up, if one would follow Christ, one ought to know his frame, and in knowing his frame, understanding that everyone else struggling and failing at it just as he is.

Offline Omega

« Reply #169 on: February 29, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
This will likely be my last post on the matter
Good.  Just drop it, because this clearly a conversation that ONLY YOU want to have.

You admitted yourself that you have a moral conscience, a sense of right and wrong.  You have answered your question, because so do atheists.  Now, ENOUGH.

Wow. Just wow.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #170 on: February 29, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »
This will likely be my last post on the matter
Good.  Just drop it, because this clearly a conversation that ONLY YOU want to have.

You admitted yourself that you have a moral conscience, a sense of right and wrong.  You have answered your question, because so do atheists.  Now, ENOUGH.

Wow. Just wow.
Dude, what are you so angry about?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »

Human nature is self service. That service is keeping yourself alive. Maybe not so much in today's world, but in the world as it was thousands of years ago. Keeping yourself alive wouldn't be possible by keeping yourself in isolation. One would have to service others, and in turn be serviced by others that they once showed service to. It is very possible that this tactic was the key to individual survival. By trading off things in life with others, people were doing themselves the ultimate self service; the ability to keep on living. Groups of many individuals practicing this would all get what they were really after, their survival. It wasn't until survival became relatively easy that emotions and the concept of morallity came into play.

rumborak

My problem with this, outside of the "we can't understand god's plan" argument, is that whose lives he influences seems to make no sense. Some of the most religious people I know, the ones who can practically recite the bible, are the most miserable. They have shit jobs, homes that are falling apart, and are stuck working 60+ hours a week. Why doesn't god throw them a bone? Meanwhile, you have the assholes in charge of the banks that can go about financially raping people.

There are many things that occur in people's live that they attribute to god blessing them, things that required years of dedication and hard work. A woman I work wih was a raging alcoholic and decided to go to rehab for it. She was in rehab 3 times, and failed each time. The fourth time, she said she found god through scripture (she claimed she was agnostic until them), and because of this was given the power to overcome her addiction. To me, this is just a placebo affect. Research has shown that placebo anti-depressants have yielded better results than the real drugs. People have the power within them to do great things, and it makes me sad that they can't give themselves the credit for creating something positive in their life.

When I fell off the balcony, I had dozens of people saying things like "someone up there loves you" and "god must have some purpose for you here". I can't give a god the credit for my survival. Had I fallen off a cliff and not found for 2 days, I'd certainly be dead. I have to attribute it the thousands of people in history that have made it possible to call for help and get it within minutes. I have to attribute it to the 20+ doctors I had that spent years of their lives learning how to save people. I attribute it to the engineers and biochemists that were able to build machines that were able to detect blood clots in my lungs and blood stream. I attribute it to modern medicine that prevented me from suffering a stroke. Based on some things said in this thread, god  would have chose not to save me anyway since I don't believe in him.

All in all, I owe my survival to thousands of individual humans throughout human history,not a diety. This brings me back to full circle to the first part of my post. All of the people that were responsible for saving my life were, to some degree, servicing themselves. Sure they served me, but without the paycheck at the end of the week that keeps them alive, I highly doubt they would have been there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #172 on: February 29, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Atheists still believe in law and punishment, just not supernatural law and punishment. And that's still irrelevant to believing in morals. For example: I don't rape women because I know it's wrong and a sick, heinous act, not because I'm afraid of going to prison.

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #173 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
Atheists still believe in law and punishment, just not supernatural law and punishment. And that's still irrelevant to believing in morals. For example: I don't rape women because I know it's wrong and a sick, heinous act, not because I'm afraid of going to prison.
Totally.  All people have a general sense of morality.  But where does that sense of morality come from, and does it matter to you where it comes from?

Online Adami

« Reply #174 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Totally.  All people have a general sense of morality.  But where does that sense of morality come from, and does it matter to you where it comes from?

I'm glad you're asking, because I have a feeling you will actually listen answers.

Atheist (or just non objective) morality comes from evolution in a sense. We want to survive, so killing is wrong. We want to dominate, so killing becomes ok in specific instances, provided it doesn't interfere with the first rule. We don't want things stolen from us, so stealing is wrong. We sometimes need what we can't have, so it's ok to steal provided it doesn't violate the first rule. etc etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com