Author Topic: Best way to sell a guitar  (Read 1780 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Best way to sell a guitar
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
I think this is my first post in the musician's forum since the DT.net days..

Anyway, I have a 5 string bass that's been collecting dust for 4 or 5 years.  I thought about walking into a sam ash store and seeing what they would give me for it.  I looked on ebay, and they arent selling for what I think i should get (of course sellers always think that) plus I don't want to worry about shipping it.  Craigslist is shady, but I may consider it.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Best way to sell a guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
Get multiple quotes, including Pawn shops.  Just remember to ask for the sell price, and not the loan price.

Just something to keep in mind about eBay, is that if it is an auction the price will be low so eBay gets a smaller cut - at least they used to do it that way.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »
I hadn't considered a pawn shop.  I'll look for one around here, and prob ask a few Sam Ash and Guitar Center stores.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
I stopped using eBay years ago.  Too much of a pain in the ass.  I actually REALLY LIKE Craig's List.  In fact, my company has unloaded about $20k worth of used computer gear on there in the last couple of years. 

One other thing you can try is some of the smaller mom & pop music stores will sell it for you on consignment.  You tell them how much you want for it, they sell it for a little more and keep the difference.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
One other thing you can try is some of the smaller mom & pop music stores will sell it for you on consignment.  You tell them how much you want for it, they sell it for a little more and keep the difference.

This.  The ones around here do it all the time.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
Yeah, I sold a Les Paul Custom that way.  I told the shop I wanted $1500 for it.  They put a price tag on it for $1799 and sold it to the guy for $1699 about a week later.  I got what I wanted, the customer got a nice guitar at a fair price and the store made a little scratch too. 

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »
I've sold several guitars to Guitar Center. The nice thing is that you walk out with a check right then. I only sold them pretty nice guitars that they knew they could sell in a couple of days so I got what I wanted.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »
I've sold several guitars to Guitar Center. The nice thing is that you walk out with a check right then. I only sold them pretty nice guitars that they knew they could sell in a couple of days so I got what I wanted.

I'm about to sell them back and amp I bought from them two years ago and never ended up using.  It will be interesting to see what they offer me for it.   It's a Fender Cyber Twin.  In mint condition.  I paid $599.00 for it. 

Offline jasc15

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
@ mrjazzguitar:  I've heard that Guitar Center pays very little for used items.  seems like you've had some luck, but what sort of guitars did you sell?  What I am selling is widely available, both new and used, so I don't know what to expect from them.  It goes for $600 new, and they seem to be selling from 300 - 350 on ebay.