Author Topic: Guns: Yay or nay?  (Read 38412 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Guns: Yay or nay?
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »
Correct.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Numbers, I appreciate that you don't want anything to do with guns, but... Skiing is dangerous.  People kill others skiing.  Should skiing not be allowed?  I kind of agree with you on gun culture, but I think it's mostly people who don't have respect for weapons that get all gung ho about it.

As someone who just started, I have to say this.  I used to be afraid of guns, I used to think they were pointless.  Then I started getting interested in marksmanship and then I wanted to go try it myself.  So I went to a gun range and got to shoot a whole mess of awesome guns.  I had EXTREME amounts of respect for the weapon I was handling and everyone around me.  I listened to my instructor extremely intently.  No one was hurt, no one was close to being hurt.  We had a fantastic time that day, and honestly it is a day I won't forget because I got to spend it with my dad and brother, and we never get to do stuff like that together.  But it was an interest we all shared and it turned out fantastic.  Sure an accident could happen and someone could get killed, but that could have happened in the car ride to the range.   I didn't feel unsafe in the slightest.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
Skiing isn't a sport designed to kill.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
I like to shoot things that exploded in a million pieces or into a cloud of dust. Its a great stress reliever as well a great day out with my buddies. We are at gun ranges where safety is heavily enforced. Everyone stays safe and has a good time. As a kid I had cap guns. As a young teen I had paintball guns. As a young adult I got into pellet guns an rifles. Now, as an adult, I am getting into real guns. I have never pointed any of them at anything living, and am pretty confident I'm not going to go on a shooting rampage anytime soon.

Everyone has recreational activities. Some drag race, some go boating, some play sports, and some like to shoot guns. Yes a gun can be used to kill, that was there original intention. But so were bow and arrows, and no one ever has a problem with those. People can kill with a car, knives, chemicals, and many other ways. When handled responsibly they are not dangerous. I feel safer around 3 friends loading guns than I do on the highway. I see absolutely nothing wrong with getting enjoyment out of shooting targets.

Wow, some serious irony here. As I was typing this post, my mom just told me here was a shooting at a hospital near my school. The building is on lockdown.  One of the people shot (not blood related) was my uncle's sister's husband. He's currently being rushed to another hospital for surgery.

I still stand on my position though.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »

Either is marksmanship??
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »

Either is marksmanship??

But no skier has lost their temper and killed someone with their skis.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »
I understand where you are coming from but you make my point. You say guns are a great stress reliever and therein lies my exact problem. People should not be "relieving stress" with weapons. That sends the wrong message to the people, in my opinion.

Either is marksmanship??

But the "medium" of the sport is. A ski is not designed to kill people. :lol That would be somewhat funny though.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
I'm fine with people owning guns. I don't have any interest though. I was out in the country side with a few friends a couple years ago and shot guns for the first time but I think that will probably be only time I do.

Now if I Zombie Apocalypse happens I will go to the gun shop and grab as many as I can and bullets!
I'm very happy to be set if the Zombie Apocalypse does happen. I'm ready for Dec. 21, 2012. Bring it!

:neverusethis:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »

Either is marksmanship??

Never say never. There are over 6 billion people in the world. I've learned to accept almost anything. :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »

Either is marksmanship??

Ski poles originally doubled as spears.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 06:44:22 PM »

Either is marksmanship??

Ok but if you don't like it, don't go.  Don't stop other people from enjoying it.  I felt safer at the gun range than I did while snowboarding, and I was a good snowboarder.

Yes guns can be lethal, but so can a lot of things.  I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of people who would use them for harming other people. 

EDIT:  Also, lets get real.  How often do you hear about a marksman going insane at a gun range or at a shooting event and killing people.  No.  Most shootings are done by gang members or during some other crime related activity. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
The solution to this is simple. Electrically fired guns with a built in GPS. They can only be fired in specific locations.

That's actually a terrible idea, but it's a thought.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
The solution to this is simple. Electrically fired guns with a built in GPS. They can only be fired in specific locations.

too easy to mod

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »

That still leaves people having guns "for protection." I don't like that.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

What am I supposed to defend myself with if someone's breaks into my house with a gun?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
That's the situation many people think will happen. While it is true that people who want guns will still get their hands on them, it will make it MUCH more difficult, so odds are, that guy isn't walking in on you in the first place.

Also, odds say that you are just as likely to do something stupid with that gun than fire it at someone coming into your house.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

I am good friends with people in the ghetto. They all have guns. I know full well they are never leaving their apartments. They have them because you never know what kind of asshole is going to bust your door in.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »
Guns in your home is another debate as far as I am concerned.  Numbers here is also trying to say no one should be allowed to go to the shooting range on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that if you have a gun and he has a gun...someone is getting shot. And it might not be the robber. Think about it. You're getting robbed and you pull a gun, don't you think the other dude with the gun would have some sense to shoot you?

Guns in your home is another debate as far as I am concerned.  Numbers here is also trying to say no one should be allowed to go to the shooting range on a Saturday afternoon.

Yes I am.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »
That's the situation many people think will happen. While it is true that people who want guns will still get their hands on them, it will make it MUCH more difficult, so odds are, that guy isn't walking in on you in the first place.

Also, odds say that you are just as likely to do something stupid with that gun than fire it at someone coming into your house.
You can't reduce breaking-and-enterings down and explain them in an 'odds are...' kind of way. If someone breaks into my house with a gun and I don't have my guns, I'm fucked. But, I have a few rifles to shoot for sport and self-defense in my home. (They either stay in my home or I'm shooting them at the range since I'm not old enough to obtain a concealed carry permit or purchase a handgun in my state.) I've also taken formal shooting and safety courses for the last two years and have received over 10 years of firearm training and handling from my parents, uncles, grandparents, other family, etc.

I think the 'odds are' that I will do something stupid is incredibly low to begin with. I know the proper way to handle a gun and could do it blindfolded.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that if you have a gun and he has a gun...someone is getting shot. And it might not be the robber. Think about it. You're getting robbed and you pull a gun, don't you think the other dude with the gun would have some sense to shoot you?

Yes I am.

But what is the basis?  Other than that you are scared of guns and you don't like them.  I went.  I'm fine.  A lot of people went, they are all fine.  Just don't go, and you won't have to worry about it.  I really don't see your rationale on that one.  Shooting guns on a range, does not make me want to shoot people.  It gave me respect and knowledge regarding firearms.  It also gave me insight into just how hard it is to aim and successfully hit something with one.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »

But people get shot for no good reason all the time. If I'm going to get shot by a robber anyway, I'd rather have a gun and have a fighting chance.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

Ah alright, I was misunderstanding you.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »
Yes, but I know various tactics and techniques to avoid putting my frame out there to be shot at. i.e. the pie technique for moving around corners in an unknown threat situation, etc. I have training that I can put to use in a situation like that. I also have the advantage of knowing my own home's layout very well. And it doesn't take that much brainpower to calculate angles of fire after that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »
Yes, but I know various tactics and techniques to avoid putting my frame out there to be shot at. i.e. the pie technique for moving around corners in an unknown threat situation, etc. I have training that I can put to use in a situation like that. I also have the advantage of knowing my own home's layout very well. And it doesn't take that much brainpower to calculate angles of fire after that.

Not to mention if the home owner draws a gun,NAND the robber doesn't have one, he's gonna back the fuck down and leave.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
A. I'm not afraid of guns.
B. The robber most likely won't shoot you. He will threaten, take your shit, and leave. Someone will, on the other hand, get shot once a gun comes into play.
C. If the robber doesn't have a gun, a baseball bat would work just the same.

I'm reading a NY Times article now...will post some shit soon.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »
You don't know if a robber is armed or not in most situations, so having a firearm on your side gives you at least a fighting chance, if not the upper hand in the situation.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »
I go back to B. What's worse, a bullet wound or some stolen shit?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
You don't know if a robber is armed or not in most situations, so having a firearm on your side gives you at least a fighting chance, if not the upper hand in the situation.

Right. It either levels the playing field or gives you an unfair advantage. It's a win win. I've been trying to convince my parents to keep a gun in the house and know how to use it. Not for protection from bad human beings, but from scary wildlife. Bears have been taking a liking to the area we live, old farmland with a lot of woods. I have seen 3 in the last year in my back yard, and one on the golf course twice. I don't hike anymore because of it. God for bid a bear attacked a member of the family, someone needs to pump a few rounds in it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
Scars impress the ladies  :hat
I rest my case.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »

In the ghetto, more often then not, stollen ahit. For many it's all the have, and are more protecting of their possessions than their own lives. I'm not saying this as a stereotype, I've seen this first hand time and time again.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »
I have to chalk that up to bad priorities. If a robber came into my house and demanded shit at gun point, I'd ask him if he would like it gift wrapped.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
I have to chalk that up to bad priorities. If a robber came into my house and demanded shit at gun point, I'd ask him if he would like it gift wrapped.

You have a different mind set than those in the ghetto.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
Why assume that the robber storms up on you unprepared, unless it's my dorm room, where I hang out, I'm not usually in the room with the entrance to the outside world.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
I never did. But I am saying that if both people have guns, someone is getting shot, and with all due respect to any who have a gun, but I would rather have a robber steal your shit and get away with it than you shoot them.

My opinion of it all is this, more guns leads to more violence. Note how I did not say crime, but violence. Whether it be through crime, TV, video games, movies, etc.