Author Topic: Guns: Yay or nay?  (Read 38575 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Guns: Yay or nay?
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
My personal opinion on guns is that people should be subjected to a painful screening process before being able to get one. You want a gun? Then tell us about your life in detail so we can make sure you don't go postal next week.

rumborak

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that in your state, it is even tougher than out here, and we have pretty strict requirements.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
I don't own one.

I have shot them before. (22 Shotgun & 357)

I like the screening process and I'm ok with people owning them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »
Everyone in Georgia owns guns  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:05 PM »
My personal opinion on guns is that people should be subjected to a painful screening process before being able to get one. You want a gun? Then tell us about your life in detail so we can make sure you don't go postal next week.

rumborak
The process is already fairly strict. I don't know what more you want. The fact of the matter is that the majority of the people who 'go postal' and/or the criminals who murder and hold up people with the guns will get those guns NO MATTER WHAT. You trying to tell me that a guy who's life is falling apart...divorcing...kids being taken away....got fired by his dickhead boss...etc. etc....and decides he's going to just shoot everyone is going to stop because he couldn't pass a pscy. exam or background check? Your fooling yourself if you think that. The FACT of the matter is if/when a criminal or madman wants a gun he's going to get it NO MATTER the ridiculous laws put in place.   
 Any further laws enacted only harm law abiding citizens such as myself. Plenty of laws in place already...they just need to be enforced.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
Give everybody a gun. Crime would stop instantly.

Offline Omega

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
Give everybody a gun. Crime would stop instantly.

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Just popping in to say Finland is consistently a top country in the Happiness Index, has low murder rates, and half of the population owns at least 1 gun.  Fuck yeah Finland  :hat  If only I could live their.
But I go hunting with my uncle in the winter sometimes, I find it fun.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
The process is already fairly strict. I don't know what more you want.

Not really. From what I understand you can still go to gun shows and just buy there.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of the people who 'go postal' and/or the criminals who murder and hold up people with the guns will get those guns NO MATTER WHAT. You trying to tell me that a guy who's life is falling apart...divorcing...kids being taken away....got fired by his dickhead boss...etc. etc....and decides he's going to just shoot everyone is going to stop because he couldn't pass a pscy. exam or background check? Your fooling yourself if you think that. The FACT of the matter is if/when a criminal or madman wants a gun he's going to get it NO MATTER the ridiculous laws put in place.   
 Any further laws enacted only harm law abiding citizens such as myself. Plenty of laws in place already...they just need to be enforced.

Come on, dude, you're distorting the facts here. There's constantly news about people having shot others, being proper owners of a gun despite having been locked away in prison for years beforehand. Will it stop criminals from getting firearms? Of course not, but I don't think throwing your arms in the air and saying "all is lost anyway, everybody for themselves!!" is the answer.
Another thing that IMHO that should be instated is something that Switzerland does. In Switzerland most people have a gun because they get it through their army service. However, there's the law that a crime committed with their gun is partially their fault, even if they didn't use the gun themselves. What it does is force people to invest into proper safe closets for their guns. For example, from what I understand the Columbine kid just went to his father's closet, picked up a gun and started shooting.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
I don't think anyone should own anything more dangerous than BB/paintball guns.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
Texan here.  'Nuff said.

I am way cool with some common sense restrictions, though.  I also think that most people who insist on carrying one at all times is fooling himself. 

Can't stand gun ranges, but fortunately they're pretty unnecessary down here. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jag66

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
Apparently it's normal in the US to own a gun - def not the case in britain (but its alot easier to obtain one in america). But no, don't see the point in owning one, for protection or whatever.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
I think you need to try shooting a gun in order to realize why people would want to.  It is a fun sport.  At least I find it to be.  So I guess you just need to try it out to know why, much like any other activity.  I have no idea why some people skydive, yet people love it.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Not really. From what I understand you can still go to gun shows and just buy there.

Not sure about other states.  But how it works here is, yes, you can buy at a gun show.  But the transaction still must be processed through a registered dealer who is required to run the background check and perform all the other steps that would be performed if you bought in a shop, and the transfer still cannot be completed without passing the background check and waiting the 10-day waiting period.

There's constantly news about people having shot others, being proper owners of a gun despite having been locked away in prison for years beforehand.

Again, not sure what other state laws are, but out here, if you've committed a felony, you can NEVER own.

Another thing that IMHO that should be instated is something that Switzerland does. In Switzerland most people have a gun because they get it through their army service. However, there's the law that a crime committed with their gun is partially their fault, even if they didn't use the gun themselves. What it does is force people to invest into proper safe closets for their guns.

Similar law here, in many respects.  If you have not taken certain precautions to keep the gun locked up in a secured location, with ammo stores in a separate secured location, you are generally responsible if someone commits a crime with your gun.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »
Meanwhile, in Seattle (Bremerton, actually)

A third-grade student has been airlifted to Seattle's Harborview Medical Center after being shot in the abdomen Wednesday at a Bremerton elementary school.

The girl, 8, was reportedly shot by another third-grade student just before school let out at 1:30 p.m.,

Again, not sure what other state laws are, but out here, if you've committed a felony, you can NEVER own.

Sounds familiar, WA has some law like that.

A friend's sister has guns for defense (good thing too because he coincidentally lives in Bremerton), but I don't know why he needs 15 of them. Can't you get by with one, maybe two, for defense? At some point, you should just say you like owning guns and quit trying to claim they are for defense. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
I love guns. I think anyone has the right to have whatever kind of firearm they wish. I just like shooting shit. I have no desire to hunt, and even skeet shooting bores me, but I could shoot paint cans all day.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
As a red-blooded southerner, I think it should be illegal to NOT own guns.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
I find it amazing just the difference in perception or cultural whatever on the views on guns.  I guess because the 'right to bear arms' is embedded in to the fabric of American society and history I suppose.  Not sure.  What I do know is that I have never once thought of the need or desire to own, let alone touch or fire, a gun of any type.  Paintball is the closest I've come.  I agree with comments like psycho people are going to find guns no matter what if they really want them... criminals too.  But I think it's a cultural thing.  Gun ownership is just so much more accepted in the US vs most other nations.  And if legal gun ownership is so acceptable, taking that extra step for illegal ownership ain't much of a stretch.

Here's another stat - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Guns per 100 citizens.  US = 88.8.

I don't mean to be rude or offensive with this comment, but that's not necessarily the stat I would want to be #1 in the world with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
Being opinionated, I am going to post and then read the thread...

Guns should be illegal except for hunting, and if someone wants to go hunting, they need to pick up their gone for a government building for an allotted amount of time and if they don't return it, they get punished. I truly despise American gun culture and refuse to buy/play with/ etc. anything that has them in it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
We never wanna learn from our mistakes and we never wanna take the blame!

I must say nay!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

Guns should be illegal except for hunting, and if someone wants to go hunting, they need to pick up their gone for a government building for an allotted amount of time and if they don't return it, they get punished. I truly despise American gun culture and refuse to buy/play with/ etc. anything that has them in it.
One word why people, not just in America should be allowed to own guns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
I realize he was in the Finnish Military, but he became an accomplished moose hunter and hunted with the Finnish President Urho Kekkonen and his nickname was The White Death.  That equals radular^2.
Just reading through that gave me a bigger hard on for Finland.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
Some dude from Finland killed over 500 people in a war. That is cool how?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »
It majorly helped Russia from Conquering Finland, and the methods he used are frackin incredible.  And like I said he became a radular moose hunter afterwards  :hat

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »

What do you have against people into skeet shooting or marksmanship?  Typically the people who want guns openly are not the problem. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
I truly despise American gun culture and refuse to buy/play with/ etc. anything that has them in it.

Some general, unsolicited advice:  It is often a LOT more productive to attempt to understand why some people may think differently than you and to try to find something in those differences that you can appreciate rather than simply despising those who think differently.  That obviously has a much larger general application than just this topic, of course.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »
It majorly helped Russia from Conquering Finland, and the methods he used are frackin incredible.  And like I said he became a radular moose hunter afterwards  :hat

To be honest, I don't really care about the first reason and I really really don't care about the second and third.

What do you have against people into skeet shooting or marksmanship?  Typically the people who want guns openly are not the problem. 

It's the mentality of it all. Guns are dangerous and should only be in the hands of those that need them (cops.) I don't care if its "fun" to shoot shit. It's sending the wrong message to the people. My belief coincides with my refusal to play a game with a gun in it.

I truly despise American gun culture and refuse to buy/play with/ etc. anything that has them in it.

Some general, unsolicited advice:  It is often a LOT more productive to attempt to understand why some people may think differently than you and to try to find something in those differences that you can appreciate rather than simply despising those who think differently.  That obviously has a much larger general application than just this topic, of course.

I appreciate that Joe-Shmoe wants to have some fun. If his fun comes from shooting at clay saucers, cool. I just think that it sends a bad message to everyone. Basically, it glorifies shooting stuff, and I have a problem with that, and like you said, I hope you can appreciate my reasoning.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »

Why only for hunting? What if I get as much of a thrill shooting glass bottles as a hunter does shooting deer in the face? I shouldn't get the pleasure of shooting a weapon just because I don't like killing wild animals?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
If that is accurate, I wonder what the spike in the early '90s is attributable to. 

Grunge music and gangsta rap.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »

Why only for hunting? What if I get as much of a thrill shooting glass bottles as a hunter does shooting deer in the face? I shouldn't get the pleasure of shooting a weapon just because I don't like killing wild animals?

Completely understandable question.

I should correct myself...

I'd say they should only use it for hunting if they are going to use the kill for something. It would be hard to implement that though. The thing is, those people hunting for food are doing it for food. They might do it for fun and then eat it, or they are doing it because they really need to do it. Either way, they are making use of the gun, you (the royal you) aren't.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »
I should mention that I'm incredibly anti-hunting as well. I just don't want to deny someone the right to go get their food.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »

To be honest, I don't really care about the first reason and I really really don't care about the second and third.

It's the mentality of it all. Guns are dangerous and should only be in the hands of those that need them (cops.) I don't care if its "fun" to shoot shit. It's sending the wrong message to the people. My belief coincides with my refusal to play a game with a gun in it.

I appreciate that Joe-Shmoe wants to have some fun. If his fun comes from shooting at clay saucers, cool. I just think that it sends a bad message to everyone. Basically, it glorifies shooting stuff, and I have a problem with that, and like you said, I hope you can appreciate my reasoning.
Shooting clay discs, I don't see how that glorifies shooting stuff, and since you said you don't play/participate in anything that has American gun culture in it, does that include games like Vanquish, Mass Effect, Battlefield, and Call of Duty?  Because yeah those games are gun violent, but you're a hero in those games, and unless you're an idiot, no one leaves those games thinking "Heck, I should get a gun and go shoot everything, yeah everything"
And how can you be anti hunting considering it's been done since the beginning of Earth, it's just a part of life, most hunters might keep a trophy of their kill if it's considerable enough but most hunters I know at the very least eat the meat if it's fit for eating.  Of course that last point doesn't validate anything since I know only a selective group of hunters.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »
You are correct. I do not play any of those games. And the thing is, while it isn't true that people play CoD and think  "Heck, I should get a gun and go shoot everything, yeah everything," it does give people a high to virtually kill other people. That is why I'm anti-gun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »
I just think that it sends a bad message to everyone. Basically, it glorifies shooting stuff, and I have a problem with that, and like you said, I hope you can appreciate my reasoning.

Oh, sure.  I'm not reacting to your position in and of itself.  Just pointing out that it's not really very productive to "despise" those who hold a different position, whatever that position happens to be.

I'd say they should only use it for hunting if they are going to use the kill for something. It would be hard to implement that though. The thing is, those people hunting for food are doing it for food. They might do it for fun and then eat it, or they are doing it because they really need to do it. Either way, they are making use of the gun, you (the royal you) aren't.

This is where I do have to disagree, however.  If your position is that people should be allowed to use a gun to hunt, then I think it stands to reason that it is dangerous to restrict gun use to hunting only.  You have to let hunters engage in recreational shooting at the range or some other place and be able to spend time taking the gun apart, cleaning it, reassembling it, and doing other things gun owners typically do.  One fact that I don't think anyone can dispute is that guns are dangerous.  But here's the thing:  they are exponentially more dangerous in the hands of someone who is not intimately familiar with how they operate and who is not skilled at using them and well versed in how to use them in a safe manner.  Accidents happen much more frequently with those who only have a casual or passing familiarity with their gun, or who have no experience at all.  And that goes for hunters as well.  Most experienced hunters (Dick Cheney excluded) do not accidentally shoot others, do not injure themselves with their guns, and do not have other unfortunate mishaps--at least not nearly as frequently.  So while I understand and respect your position, I don't think what you have proposed is a workable option.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
Ok, points taken, and I have to respond to both points.

1. I don't hate gun owners. I hate American gun culture, ie. Guns and Ammo, little kids playing CoD, Texan's screaming "Second Amendment!!!!!", etc.

2. Ok, I understand that the hunter would need training and for that I would propose a mandatory however many hours of lessons with a professional hunter (I can't decide at the moment whether it should be on location or at a range) before someone can go hunt, and as I said, they should only be able to "check out" their guns the same way one would a library book.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
I'm fine with people owning guns. I don't have any interest though. I was out in the country side with a few friends a couple years ago and shot guns for the first time but I think that will probably be only time I do.

Now if I Zombie Apocalypse happens I will go to the gun shop and grab as many as I can and bullets!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
Ok, points taken, and I have to respond to both points.

1. I don't hate gun owners. I hate American gun culture, ie. Guns and Ammo, little kids playing CoD, Texan's screaming "Second Amendment!!!!!", etc.

2. Ok, I understand that the hunter would need training and for that I would propose a mandatory however many hours of lessons with a professional hunter (I can't decide at the moment whether it should be on location or at a range) before someone can go hunt, and as I said, they should only be able to "check out" their guns the same way one would a library book.

So you're opposed to the 2nd amendment as it relates to gun ownership?