Author Topic: Guns: Yay or nay?  (Read 38695 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Guns: Yay or nay?
« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »
Texas is halfway thorough. The problem is that it takes numerous steps, and they're all separate. You've got to apply, take a class with a test, take a proficiency test, get yourself fingerprinted, and then send it all in, with fees at each step. The people who train you aren't allowed to fingerprint you. The people who fingerprint you aren't allowed to submit your application. I'd have already done it if it weren't so convoluted. The only overlap is that the class you take will generally be held at a range, so they can test you afterward, but they still charge for lane fees, adding another $20 or so onto the price tag. When it's all said and done you're probably out $150.

The test isn't hard. From what I gather most people have already passed before they move back to 15 yards. It is timed, though. Apparently the biggest risk to failing is cheap ammo causing malfunctions that count against your score. Still, it's better than a lot of states. "You see that target over there? Great. Congratulations, you've passed."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2021, 10:22:45 AM »
Got a little further with my CC permit today. I was officially issued my "temporary permit" which I submitted the paperwork for on 9/8/2020. Now I have to get the actual permit at the state police HQ, but because of Covid restrictions and 500% greater demand for permits than the annual average, you have to schedule by appointment. This you can't do until you have your temp permit in hand, and the earliest date I could get was 7/24.

Such a pain in the dick. I scheduled my initial safety training course last June. By the time all is said and done, the process is going to take over a year. It's supposed to typically take 8-10 weeks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »
Wow Chino, that sounds like a pain in the ass.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2021, 11:05:02 AM »
Got a little further with my CC permit today. I was officially issued my "temporary permit" which I submitted the paperwork for on 9/8/2020. Now I have to get the actual permit at the state police HQ, but because of Covid restrictions and 500% greater demand for permits than the annual average, you have to schedule by appointment. This you can't do until you have your temp permit in hand, and the earliest date I could get was 7/24.

Such a pain in the dick. I scheduled my initial safety training course last June. By the time all is said and done, the process is going to take over a year. It's supposed to typically take 8-10 weeks.

Have you cooled down, yet?   :)

Sounds like the cooldown period is enough to make you hot!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »

Ooof. That really sucks.

Was just thinking of the process I went through and it was much simpler. I took extra classes, more than you were required....but it still was a rather quick process. Come to think about it, it's been 14 years now I've had mine. Wow.

Also, Missouri has a ridiculous law now that literally anyone can conceal carry....without a permit. You can't be a felon and have to be over 21. I still maintain my permit status for the reciprocity advantages it brings with other states who recognize Missouri's conceal carry permit....but yeah, there's no telling how many people are carrying in Missouri. Unless they're one of the douche bag open carry people who like to show off.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
Re: Guns:  Yay or nay?

No.

Just No.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #286 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:00 PM »
Re: Guns:  Yay or nay?

No.

Just No.

Exactly.

I thought about some large reply, but this covers it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #287 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:09 PM »

Also, Missouri has a ridiculous law now that literally anyone can conceal carry....without a permit. You can't be a felon and have to be over 21. I still maintain my permit status for the reciprocity advantages it brings with other states who recognize Missouri's conceal carry permit....but yeah, there's no telling how many people are carrying in Missouri. Unless they're one of the douche bag open carry people who like to show off.
Yikes, that's like the wild west  :eek   I know in Georgia where my son lives you can open carry if you have a permit for the gun, no special permit required to open carry and believe me when I tell you, the natives of the area take full advantage of that law.  We went to eat at Texas Roadhouse and I swear just about every dude in that joint was packing heat. 

I bought a pellet rifle recently because it looks a lot like a real .22 - it doesn't have the bright orange plastic piece on the muzzle like a lot of pellet and bb guns.  It's CO2 powered I forget the size the pellets I'm using but they get buried pretty deep in the maple tree I've been shooting at in my yard, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't feel very good getting hit my a couple of these pellets especially on exposed skin, but I didn't get it to shoot anybody, I got it because it was a cheap, practically non-lethal and perfectly legal thing for me to have that I could conceivably defend my mother and wife with if we ever had intruders.  I live in a nice, middle class neighborhood in a good part of town, but just a couple of miles from here there have been some home invasions over the last few years.  So I wanted something that looks like an actual rifle that fires real .22-caliber bullets and the sales guy from the web site gave me 3 options, two pump-style rifles that are single shot or this semi-automatic CO2 model that can old about 15 to 18 pellets at a time and you can empty it as fast as you can pull the trigger.  That was the option for me  :) I hope it will never come to that, but you never know.  I have a machete and a taser too.   But the taser is really only good for someone who is within 10 or 15 feet at the most.  Kind of an "if all else fails" kind of option.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #288 on: February 26, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »

Yikes, that's like the wild west  :eek   I know in Georgia where my son lives you can open carry if you have a permit for the gun, no special permit required to open carry and believe me when I tell you, the natives of the area take full advantage of that law.  We went to eat at Texas Roadhouse and I swear just about every dude in that joint was packing heat. 

I bought a pellet rifle recently because it looks a lot like a real .22 - it doesn't have the bright orange plastic piece on the muzzle like a lot of pellet and bb guns.  It's CO2 powered I forget the size the pellets I'm using but they get buried pretty deep in the maple tree I've been shooting at in my yard, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't feel very good getting hit my a couple of these pellets especially on exposed skin, but I didn't get it to shoot anybody, I got it because it was a cheap, practically non-lethal and perfectly legal thing for me to have that I could conceivably defend my mother and wife with if we ever had intruders.  I live in a nice, middle class neighborhood in a good part of town, but just a couple of miles from here there have been some home invasions over the last few years.  So I wanted something that looks like an actual rifle that fires real .22-caliber bullets and the sales guy from the web site gave me 3 options, two pump-style rifles that are single shot or this semi-automatic CO2 model that can old about 15 to 18 pellets at a time and you can empty it as fast as you can pull the trigger.  That was the option for me  :) I hope it will never come to that, but you never know.  I have a machete and a taser too.   But the taser is really only good for someone who is within 10 or 15 feet at the most.  Kind of an "if all else fails" kind of option.
Every two or three years I break out the Sean Taylor story, and it seems that it's that time again. Taylor was a safety for the Redskins. When the Skins were playing an away game some knucklehead kids decided it'd be a great time to burglarize his home since he's obviously out of town. Turns out he was injured, so he stayed home shacked up with his baby-mama. He hears the ruckus and runs out to confront them with a machete, at which point one of the kids panics and shoots him in the leg. He died the next morning from massive blood loss. The thing is, none of these idiots every had any intention of shooting anybody. If he'd just yelled GTFO they probably would have run off screaming. They were caught completely by surprise by a ginormous black guy running at them with a machete. Three ran and one started shooting wildly.

I bust out this story to point out to people that unless you have the means of ending a gunfight, you shouldn't attend one. Often times people escalate the situation well beyond their ability to prevail. Sean Taylor took a knife to a gunfight that he unwittingly instigated. If you point that pellet rifle at somebody, you will start a gunfight, and you won't win it.

My question is, why don't you just buy a shotgun? Shotguns are generally not covered by other statutes regarding gun ownership. Even teenagers can buy them. They're affordable, highly effective, and something damn near anybody can own and shoot.

Also, as much for curiosity as anything else, try putting a T-shirt in front of an old piece of leather furniture, or a jacket or something, and shooting that. You might very well find that the pellet doesn't penetrate the leather, which is somewhat analogous to human skin. Trees are hard and don't dissipate energy. Fabric and leather absorb quite a bit of energy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: February 26, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »

I think open carry folks are the type of 'gun rights' people that just like to start crap. I conceal carry out of what I perceive as an obligation and duty as a husband and father to always be prepared to protect my family. That's it. It's not out of bravado or to be cool. Carrying and even owning a weapon opens a whole realm of responsibility and danger that isn't lost on me. But to openly carry a gun in this day and age is just silly and it's inviting conflict. Plus, it puts a massive target on you if there happens to be something go down.....like...take out the guy with the gun first type thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #290 on: February 26, 2021, 01:45:43 PM »

I think open carry folks are the type of 'gun rights' people that just like to start crap. I conceal carry out of what I perceive as an obligation and duty as a husband and father to always be prepared to protect my family. That's it. It's not out of bravado or to be cool. Carrying and even owning a weapon opens a whole realm of responsibility and danger that isn't lost on me. But to openly carry a gun in this day and age is just silly and it's inviting conflict. Plus, it puts a massive target on you if there happens to be something go down.....like...take out the guy with the gun first type thing.
One thing I will add about it is that it no longer matters if people can "see" your weapon and freak out about it. There's no longer a necessary requirement to keep your weapon concealed, like their used to be. I agree with you that people who do it are silly, but from a legal standpoint it actually isn't such a bad thing at a practical level. In my case it's not uncommon to see the but of my gun sticking slightly out of my pocket when I'm carrying. No longer an issue.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »

My question is, why don't you just buy a shotgun?

I'm a felon, can't buy a shotgun and my wife made me get rid of my mother's shotgun last year after some kid down the street blew his brother's head off with one.  We have kids around the house quite a bit.  It was a battle I didn't want to fight at the time so I didn't.

I think you might be misinterpreting my intention with the pellet gun - it looks like a .22 and if someone sees it, especially at night, they might think twice about what they're doing.  I know I'm not gonna kill anyone with it, but it's what I'm legally allowed to have on the property and in my possession, so it's what I've got. 

As for your knife story, I don't know what makes you think I'd be stupid enough to bring a knife to a gunfight but whatever.  The machete, baseball bat, taser and pellet gun are all last resort things like I said.  Last resort.  I'm pushing 60 and I ain't looking to physically throw down with any intruders.   We have a panic room.  My only goal is to get my wife and mother into the panic room.  Solid metal core door, 4" thick by 8" deep deadbolt into a metal frame.  You'd need a grenade to get through it.  And we have a silent alarm that gets set every night. 

I'm not really against a homeowner having a gun but my wife is staunchly anti-gun so I got rid of the shotgun to keep the peace.  Happy wife, happy life.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »

My question is, why don't you just buy a shotgun?

I'm a felon, can't buy a shotgun and my wife made me get rid of my mother's shotgun last year after some kid down the street blew his brother's head off with one.  We have kids around the house quite a bit.  It was a battle I didn't want to fight at the time so I didn't.

I think you might be misinterpreting my intention with the pellet gun - it looks like a .22 and if someone sees it, especially at night, they might think twice about what they're doing.  I know I'm not gonna kill anyone with it, but it's what I'm legally allowed to have on the property and in my possession, so it's what I've got. 

As for your knife story, I don't know what makes you think I'd be stupid enough to bring a knife to a gunfight but whatever. 
The machete, baseball bat, taser and pellet gun are all last resort things like I said.  Last resort.  I'm pushing 60 and I ain't looking to physically throw down with any intruders.   We have a panic room.  My only goal is to get my wife and mother into the panic room.  Solid metal core door, 4" thick by 8" deep deadbolt into a metal frame.  You'd need a grenade to get through it.  And we have a silent alarm that gets set every night. 

I'm not really against a homeowner having a gun but my wife is staunchly anti-gun so I got rid of the shotgun to keep the peace.  Happy wife, happy life.
I think you may have missed my point. I don't think you're stupid enough to bring a knife to a gunfight. My point was that often times people inadvertently start a gunfight that might not have otherwise occurred. Brandishing a pellet gun is a pretty good example of just that thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
Agreed, but I would never do that.  My hope is that just the sight of it would scare off an intruder who might mistake it for a .22

When I get home later I'll post a picture of it.  It looks like a rifle, not a pellet gun.  But in a situation where there were some kind of invaders in my house, EVERYTHING I do would be in service of two things 1. Retreating to the panic room and 2. making sure my wife and mother get there as well.    Honestly, though, after we had the panic room built and the new alarm system installed I became a lot more confident that none of this would ever happen anyway.  You can't get in my house without tripping the alarm.  Even if thy shut the power off, the generator kicks on automatically and even if they somehow managed to fuck up the generator it still wouldn't matter because the entire alarm system runs off a perpetually charging battery system and it links up to the police station with a battery-operated cellular phone.

The LAST thing I am looking to do is interact in any way with intruders.  The 40-year-old version of me would never have given up that shotgun, the 57 year old version, though?  I'm too fucking old to be paying alimony  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2021, 02:57:41 PM »
USA : We need 450 guns to protect our home. Might even get more.

UK : Burglar alarms.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »

The LAST thing I am looking to do is interact in any way with intruders.  The 40-year-old version of me would never have given up that shotgun, the 57 year old version, though?  I'm too fucking old to be paying alimony  :rollin

That made me chuckle.  :)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
With armed carjackings up 300% over 2019 and no end in sight, I have a feeling it’s going to be incredibly difficult to get a conceal and carry in Minnesota, at least the wait time, hopefully not as bad as Chino’s wait time. I know the classes are booked out until May/June. I’ve got my permit to buy a handgun, I just haven’t gone out and actually purchased one
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: July 28, 2021, 07:39:20 AM »
FINALLY got my CC permit after a 14 month exercise in patience. Now time to shop :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2021, 07:49:29 AM »
FINALLY got my CC permit after a 14 month exercise in patience. Now time to shop :)

Have fun....there are so many options when it comes to a Carry Weapon. Lot's of great guns. I recently switched my every day carry gun to the SIG P365 Nitrom Micro Compact. I'm really liking it. It's comfortable and with the double stack technology in the magazine even with the 10 rd Magazine you can have 10+1 in a micro carry. I bought the model with the Manual Safety. But they come standard with the Tritium Night Sights as well.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

Also, when it comes to Conceal Holsters I've purchased multiple holsters from Muddy River Tactical

https://muddyrivertactical.com/

The IWB Buffalo Hide leather holsters are comfortable and I've also purchased the Form fitting IWB Kydex holsters for each of my hand guns.

Anyway....it can be a rabbit hole once you start shopping and looking. I'm no pro by any means but have been conceal carrying for 14 years now....so, if you have any questions PM me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2021, 08:28:08 AM »
I just picked up my new-old Sig yesterday. Unlike Gary, I'm a DA/SA kind of guy, so I went with the P239 SAS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P239

Mine came pre-equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight, and while many people dislike them for tactical purposes, as a training aid it's an absolute godsend.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/laser-sights/lasergrips/lg-439-lasergrips-for-sig-sauer-p239/01-1530.html

In the 20 hours I've owned the thing I've probably picked it up, aimed, and dry fired it 75 times, and I've already become far steadier through the process, as demonstrated by the laser. Moreover, with my old-man eyes, I'm having a pretty tough time focusing on the front sight, so the laser resolves that issue, as well.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2021, 06:27:12 PM »
I decided to check out the local store after work to chat with the people working there and ask some questions. I ended up walking out with some stuff.

Smith & Wesson Model 19. I picked up 150 rounds of .38 special as well and hope to hit the range next week. It's capable of shooting .357, but the store was out. Plus it's probably best I start with something that has a bit less pop.

I also grabbed a cleaning kit and some pretty sweet noise cancelling muffs that can let voice through while blocking gunfire I guess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »
Nice! You know, I own many guns but no revolvers. Now I’m jealous.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2021, 08:49:05 PM »
Very nice Chino. That's a sweet piece of hardware.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2021, 05:53:21 AM »
Thanks dudes. When it comes to the range, what's some basic etiquette to keep in mind that I might not be thinking of?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2021, 07:06:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure my dad has one of those.    Both that S&W and Bart's Sig Sauer are nice pieces. 

Others are probably more up to date on etiquette, and it differs from place to place, but for me, I try to remember:

- Each place has their own rules; it's a dick move to go in and think you own the place because "we do it this way at [other place]";
- Know the firing line, be aware when the range is hot or cold (be aware of your surroundings) and make your intention clear (don't EVER point your weapon anywhere but down range, and don't put your finger on the trigger until ready to actually shoot).
- Clear your brass
- Go slow and take your time; it's not a race, and accidents happen in haste.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
Thanks dudes. When it comes to the range, what's some basic etiquette to keep in mind that I might not be thinking of?

Here's everything that comes to mind

1. Leave the gun in the case until you get to the shooting podium
2. When not firing, keep it pointed down range with the revolver part open (that way the range officer knows its clear and safe)
3. Never take the gun between lanes (if shooting with someone else)
4. Sweep up your bullets when done
5. The ear muffs you got are great but I actually wear the tiny plugs underneath the earmuffs for extra protection (but that's up to you)
6. Besides getting range target paper, you have to get a cardboard backing as well. you tape the paper to that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »
RSO will keep an eye on you anyway, but courtesy would probably be to tell him it's your first time there. And if it's a good range they'll be quite friendly and helpful. I went today to test out my new Sig and after the first mag the RSO came over and asked me, very politely, to be more mindful of where the weapon is when I rack the slide. I didn't notice but he said I was holding it a little too far to the left (I was on the furthest right lane). Not judgmental but just a friendly "try to be mindful" kind of thing. As Stadler says, it's real easy to get distracted around there and overlook something obvious.

And don't be afraid to ask the guy for help if there's something you're not up on. I had him fire a mag through my Sig just to see if the sights were off or if it was just me.  It was just me.   :sadpanda:

Edit: Also what Phoenix said: 5. The ear muffs you got are great but I actually wear the tiny plugs underneath the earmuffs for extra protection (but that's up to you)
People will be shooting big-ass guns, and they're a lot louder than you think.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #307 on: August 03, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
I put 150 rounds (38 special) through my new model-19 after work today. I was really impressed with the power. Two-handed was no problem, single handed was a bit tough. I can't wait to try 357s in there, though I almost feel like that's going to be too much.

I started at 25' and did well. I put thousands of rounds through co2 pellet pistols in my youth, so I'm accustomed to lining up sights and whatnot. But I think my eyes are going though because looking through the sights was way blurrier than at any other time I can remember  :lol

Just for shits, as I was approaching the end of my ammo, I set a target somewhere between 55' and 60' out. That's a lot harder, but only one missed the paper entirely. I would have thought I'd hit lower the further out the target got, but I had a tendency to shoot high instead.

(Left is 25' - Right is 50') 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:49:36 PM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: August 03, 2021, 05:42:10 PM »
Nice work! It's sure fun to shoot. A couple days ago I ran 100 rounds through my .556 AR because I switched my optics to a Red dot with a flip magnifier. It's pretty easy to go through 100 rounds.

Your grouping on the 25' is perfect for center mass. That's all you need. Realistically, unless your messing around with buddies or whatever you're not going to be firing over 25' anyway.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
Just for shits, as I was approaching the end of my ammo, I set a target somewhere between 55' and 60' out. That's a lot harder, but only one missed the paper entirely. I would have thought I'd hit lower the further out the target got, but I had a tendency to shoot high instead.
Bullets actually rise before they drop. In the case of your .38 special it'll rise 2-4" on its way to ~35yds or so before it starts to drop back down. A whole lot can effect the trajectory, bullet weight, chamber pressure, barrel length, any number of things, but what you saw there was pretty typical behavior. If you want to understand a bit better about how it all works you can read up on zeroing, but as you can see, it's not going to make a big difference at typical self defense range. And keep in mind that ammo makes a huge difference. Just switching from one brand to another can move your POI quite a bit. When I was shooting .40 S&W last week, my rounds started hitting about 3" to the left when I switched from cheap target ammo to the ammo I bought for defense purposes. It's not just elevation that can change. That's why you ideally want to practice with what you're going to shoot, or at the very least, make sure what you're going to shoot behaves the same way as what you practice with.

And for what it's worth, you're probably already shooting better than I am right now. What a drag it is getting old.

.38 Special under typical circumstances:

And while I didn't intend to make any points here, if there's anybody actually reading this thread who always asks "why couldn't they have shot him in the knee or somethin," here's a crackerjack reason.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
I was shooting my friend's AR-15 last year and I was shocked how shaky I was. My accuracy was OK but I floated a ton.

What Wl Barto said is true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2021, 07:55:57 AM »
Thanks guys.

Does this look like normal/expected wear on the cylinder after just 150 shots?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
The impression I get is yes. Plenty of discussion about that on various forums. Hot gasses escaping through the cylinder gap and ablating the protective coating. But I've never owned a wheel gun, so I'm the furthest thing from an expert.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #313 on: August 04, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
I'm getting mixed messages in the various places I'm asking. Some guys are saying it's residual soot and should rub off, but it's not budging if it is. Others are saying it's rubbing on the frame, but that doesn't look like the case to me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #314 on: August 04, 2021, 08:27:37 AM »
It's not residual soot. I can't see how it would rub against the frame like that, so I'm sticking with the escaping gasses theory. I also don't know what kind of finish they use at the S&W factory. It could be Cerakoted or traditional bluing. From what I gather Cerakote is more prone to that happening.
E.F. Benson