Author Topic: Guns: Yay or nay?  (Read 38688 times)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
Re: Guns: Yay or nay?
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
Hey everyone, I want to apologize.  My comments have veered way too far into the P/R territory in this thread.  So in order to not derail this thread anymore, I'll keep all my gun comments in P/R.  :)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »
Guns?

Yay or nay?  I don't know, I guess it depends.  I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with a homeowner having a shotgun in the closet just in case of some kind of crazy home invasion or whatever other madness can come your way.  Again, it depends.  I live in a good neighborhood, but we do have break-ins from time to time and I've got an elderly mother and my wife living with me.  If I didn't have a record, I would probably have a shotgun.  But since I have a record, I don't have a shotgun.  But my mother does :biggrin:   And it just happens to live in my bedroom closet.

A few years ago this would have never happened, but there was a home invasion about a mile from where I live about 2 or 3 years ago where the homeowner's wife was raped, tortured and almost killed, while the two suspects held them at gunpoint for a day and a half.  That was enough to convince my mother we should have something in the house to defend ourselves as a last resort.  I'm still conflicted about it, but not conflicted enough to get rid of it. I hate to be forced into a position of using it, but if it came down to a choice between my wife or mother being hurt (or worse) or me shooting the attacker I won't hesitate.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »
Good to hear from you Barry!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
Those are all facts.  But none of them move the needle on the analysis.  All of that has been taken into account, and background checks have still, without question, been found to be constitutional.

Perhaps, but an inalienable right is... inalienable.  Once a person has paid their debt to society, it is paid.  Thus ALL their liberties should be restored, including the right own a gun.  I understand what the courts have decided, but I don't believe the courts have rulled in conjunction with the constitution for a long time now.  So, as I see it, background checks are completely unconstitutional and an "infringement" on that right for citizens.

Precedent rules the day in courts nowadays, not the constitution unfortunately.

Once the government finds reasons to take that right away from some folks, it becomes a slippery slope and it won't take long for them to keep expanding that list to include most folks.

All that being said, under the current social climate that exists in our country as well as the horrible mass shootings that have happened in the last several years, I can understand why most folks are in favor of background checks.  And I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.  I'm just not one of them.  But I also know I'm standing in the wrong side of a loosing battle.
If it's inalienable then what right did you have taking away their guns when you imprisoned them in the first place?

Look, I actually agree with some of your objections here. There are certainly people who've been disenfranchised and that's a raw deal in my book. If you want to suggest improvements to the system then go for it. I'll be on board. This isn't really a constitutional thing, though. There will always be necessary restrictions on rights, just like the convict who can't take his arsenal to prison with him, and insofar as restrictions go this one's narrowly tailored, not very restrictive, and serves a very compelling interest.

That's a good point.  And, ruluctantly, I don't have a good answer for that because I haven't thought through it.

Other than imprisonment, I don't think there should ever be restrictions on rights and, at least off the top of my head, I can't think of any good reasons for it.  But I'm kind of an odd ball in that regard  :biggrin:
What about calling the local cop shop and telling them there's 250 lbs of AmFo in a car in their garage?  If this guy bails himself should we allow him to go down to academy and buy another gun? Jumping ahead to number 8, should he necessarily be able to receive bail? How about kicking the front door in sans warrant when there's a woman screaming for help on the other side? These are necessary and reasonable abridgements of enumerated rights that I think most would have a hard time arguing against. Denying guns to people who really shouldn't have them shouldn't automatically get stopped by the strictest interpretation of the 2A, no more than my other examples should be precluded by their respective amendments.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2020, 04:52:46 PM »
Those are all facts.  But none of them move the needle on the analysis.  All of that has been taken into account, and background checks have still, without question, been found to be constitutional.

Perhaps, but an inalienable right is... inalienable.  Once a person has paid their debt to society, it is paid.  Thus ALL their liberties should be restored, including the right own a gun.  I understand what the courts have decided, but I don't believe the courts have rulled in conjunction with the constitution for a long time now.  So, as I see it, background checks are completely unconstitutional and an "infringement" on that right for citizens.

Once the government finds reasons to take that right away from some folks, it becomes a slippery slope and it won't take long for them to keep expanding that list to include most folks.

All that being said, under the current social climate that exists in our country as well as the horrible mass shootings that have happened in the last several years, I can understand why most folks are in favor of background checks.  And I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.  I'm just not one of them.  But I also know I'm standing in the wrong side of a loosing battle.
If it's inalienable then what right did you have taking away their guns when you imprisoned them in the first place?

Look, I actually agree with some of your objections here. There are certainly people who've been disenfranchised and that's a raw deal in my book. If you want to suggest improvements to the system then go for it. I'll be on board. This isn't really a constitutional thing, though. There will always be necessary restrictions on rights, just like the convict who can't take his arsenal to prison with him, and insofar as restrictions go this one's narrowly tailored, not very restrictive, and serves a very compelling interest.

That's a good point.  And, ruluctantly, I don't have a good answer for that because I haven't thought through it.

Other than imprisonment, I don't think there should ever be restrictions on rights and, at least off the top of my head, I can't think of any good reasons for it.  But I'm kind of an odd ball in that regard  :biggrin:
What about calling the local cop shop and telling them there's 250 lbs of AmFo in a car in their garage?  If this guy bails himself should we allow him to go down to academy and buy another gun? Jumping ahead to number 8, should he necessarily be able to receive bail? How about kicking the front door in sans warrant when there's a woman screaming for help on the other side? These are necessary and reasonable abridgements of enumerated rights that I think most would have a hard time arguing against. Denying guns to people who really shouldn't have them shouldn't automatically get stopped by the strictest interpretation of the 2A, no more than my other examples should be precluded by their respective amendments.

Well, I'm not sure what AmFo is, is that drugs?  If so, I don't care, let 'em be.  In the case of a woman screaming for help, that is consent of the governed by the woman, therefore a warrant isn't needed. (karate chop! :))

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
Guns?

Yay or nay?  I don't know, I guess it depends.  I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with a homeowner having a shotgun in the closet just in case of some kind of crazy home invasion or whatever other madness can come your way.  Again, it depends.  I live in a good neighborhood, but we do have break-ins from time to time and I've got an elderly mother and my wife living with me.  If I didn't have a record, I would probably have a shotgun.  But since I have a record, I don't have a shotgun.  But my mother does :biggrin:   And it just happens to live in my bedroom closet.

A few years ago this would have never happened, but there was a home invasion about a mile from where I live about 2 or 3 years ago where the homeowner's wife was raped, tortured and almost killed, while the two suspects held them at gunpoint for a day and a half.  That was enough to convince my mother we should have something in the house to defend ourselves as a last resort.  I'm still conflicted about it, but not conflicted enough to get rid of it. I hate to be forced into a position of using it, but if it came down to a choice between my wife or mother being hurt (or worse) or me shooting the attacker I won't hesitate.

That is terrible. Were the suspects caught?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #251 on: July 21, 2020, 07:14:39 PM »

Well, I'm not sure what AmFo is, is that drugs?  If so, I don't care, let 'em be.  In the case of a woman screaming for help, that is consent of the governed by the woman, therefore a warrant isn't needed. (karate chop! :))
Wrong acronym. ANFO is ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. I was referring to a bomb threat. And the woman screaming is a common example of an exigent circumstance which would allow Johnny to enter somebody's premises without consent or a warrant. In any case, I'm just pointing out other common examples of where we've quite reasonably abridged the constitutional rights of others.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »

Wrong acronym. ANFO is ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. I was referring to a bomb threat. And the woman screaming is a common example of an exigent circumstance which would allow Johnny to enter somebody's premises without consent or a warrant. In any case, I'm just pointing out other common examples of where we've quite reasonably abridged the constitutional rights of others.

Oh, I see.  I'm not on the up and up when it comes to explosive agents.  I guess it depends on who's garage.  If it's mine and I called the police because I wasn't sure how it got there and I wanted a professional to get rid of it, well then I verbally gave the police consent to come and remove it.  So still no warrant needed because, again, of consent of the governed.  But maybe I'm misunderstanding your scenario?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »

Oh, I see.  I'm not on the up and up when it comes to explosive agents.  I guess it depends on who's garage.  If it's mine and I called the police because I wasn't sure how it got there and I wanted a professional to get rid of it, well then I verbally gave the police consent to come and remove it.  So still no warrant needed because, again, of consent of the governed.  But maybe I'm misunderstanding your scenario?
I'm simply making the point that there are numerous examples where we abridge constitutional rights for valid reasons. YOu can't make bomb threats or shout "fire" in a crowded theater. Johnny doesn't have to wait for a search warrant before entering a home if there's an immediate danger going on inside. Some people don't get bail, and nor should they. And some people don't get to own guns. There are countless other examples, some we'd agree with and some we wouldn't. The point, though, is that citing the 2A to shoot down any restriction on who can own what gun and where doesn't really work.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2020, 09:49:22 AM »
I lean libertarian, but Bart's pretty spot on about all of this. He's got it right.   My beef isn't so much "Constitutional rights" as it is that most gun legislation are "feel good" reactionary measures meant to say "we're doing something" rather than any specific act to curtail the actual problem.   And that's where the Constitution comes in; the "compelling interest" that El Barto mentioned doesn't usually cover "politicians looking to appear useful or curry favor with constituents".   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2020, 10:01:22 AM »
^Exactly what Barto and Stadler have said.  The Constitution does not really enter into this.  And we don't get to call something "unconstitutional" just because we don't like it.  And the Constitution is what gives the High Court the sole authority to interpret was is or is not constitutional, so saying "it is unconstitutional because the courts are too activist" is to completely disregard the meaning of the term "constitutional." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
Well, I disagree, but that's OK.  I'm used to being in the minority on issues like this.  But I always enjoy the discussion.  :tup.  But hey, thanks for putting up with my crap.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
Well, I disagree, but that's OK.  I'm used to being in the minority on issues like this.  But I always enjoy the discussion.  :tup.  But hey, thanks for putting up with my crap.
If you don't mind, which part do you disagree with? That there can be reasonable restrictions to fundamental rights? Bosk's point that the Constitution allows the courts to interpret the constitutionality of those restrictions? Simply this particular restriction about background checks? Normally I don't like to play with Libertarians, frankly you guys can be a daftly intransigent lot, but you seem like a pretty reasonable guy so I'm curious where the disconnect is.
E.F. Benson

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
Just picked up my gun permit from the police station today. I figured with the Minneapolis Riots a month ago, having to board up our store, it seemed like a good move to become proficient in firearms, know how to handle them, and to get registered to be able to buy a pistol.

I’m uneasy about it because it’s something I never pictured myself doing and it is a big deal, as commonplace as it is in America, to have the ability to purchase a firearm—to me at least. I’m sure that feeling will wear off
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
Christ, I've forgotten how to manipulate quotes to make responding to points easier to read. In any event, I'll go point by point.

We disagree on this.  Vehemently.   Whether I find homosexuality "immoral" or not (I don't, but go with me here), I don't get to tell <insert homosexual person yuo know here> what to do with their partner in the bedroom.  Whether I find pornography to be immoral, or the practice of producing porn unethical (I don't, but go with me here), I don't get to tell you what you can watch in your quietest of moments, or whether - with consent (a rights issue, not a moral or ethical one) - you can film your girlfriend in flagrante delicto."

Pornography, same-sex marriage, etc. are all individual cases or examples within a broader question about the government should or can be allowed to do. Where you and I disagree, probably, is that I think that the government definitely should be able to intervene in the lives of the peoples within its boarders, but that it is often best or right not to. And insofar as people elect a government and the will of the government is in some way representational of the will of the people, I'm ok with saying that if a broad swath of a population wants the government to crack down on something—be it gay marriage or sweets, then fine. Though that doesn't mean that I need to be ok with those decisions have there are various forms of recourse an exasperated citizen can take.

I don't know what you mean by "getting people killed"; if someone dies, it's no longer a moral or ethical thing, it's a civil rights thing.

In what universe do the two not coincide in practically every respect? Surely it is the job of the government to make sure we live in some at base moral way. I find it hard to believe that when you strip back all the jobs of government broadly conceived, from as limited as you can get to as expansive, the government is in some way regulating, legislating, and guiding morality.

Also, the "I stand back and let you do your thing while you let me do mine" is the attitude of those who stand by while "government authorities" trample over the so-called "rights" to speech and peaceful assembly, with many citizens dying in the process.

For me, whether it's a lawyer, a politician, or someone else, the "ethical" argument for practical legal positions is, more often than not, the argument of the weak.  For me, ANY of the so-called ethical arguments we can talk about boil down also to some infringement on rights, and that's where the DEMAND comes from.

Very Nietzschian. Quite badass.

Again, we're talking about what we can (or should) FORCE someone else to do.

I'm aware. This is the crux of the issue and of all good government. Ultimately though, I think the government should be able to force you to do quite a lot.

"Climate change" is but one of many, obvious, egregious examples of that idea.   Climate change is bogus?

No, climate change is not bogus, but I'm deeply uncomfortable with the way the notion of the tragedy of the commons has been interpreted as a something of a manifesto for the benefits of private ownership in the wake of the idea's initial publication.

So who, then, gets to decide?  And are you willing to live by that yourself?  There's NOTHING you find perfectly acceptable that someone, somewhere (left or right) would deem problematic?

There's the rub. I've always had a soft spot for originalists on the supreme court because I didn't think it made much sense for unelected judges to legislate from the bench, and originalism provided a fine (but often specious) method for maneuvering around the pitfalls of too strong a judiciary. That is to say, I didn't like the idea of the constitution being molded by progressively minded judges (no matter how much I agreed with them) because a hack like Alito could always come along and fuck it up. So I get you. You want to institute a government where its institutions allow for all sides to be heard, all viewpoints to be considered, and there's no tyranny of the majority, etc.

Yet, re that social contract you talked about earlier, that's still there. And there are those who break the social contract: citizens and rulers alike. And when they break that contract egregiously enough, even if not everyone agrees the contract's been broken, then force is necessary. Where is the line? No idea. But it's there.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:17:24 PM by future_house_modernist »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »
Pornography, same-sex marriage, etc. are all individual cases or examples within a broader question about the government should or can be allowed to do. Where you and I disagree, probably, is that I think that the government definitely should be able to intervene in the lives of the peoples within its boarders, but that it is often best or right not to. And insofar as people elect a government and the will of the government is in some way representational of the will of the people, I'm ok with saying that if a broad swath of a population wants the government to crack down on something—be it gay marriage or sweets, then fine. Though that doesn't mean that I need to be ok with those decisions have there are various forms of recourse an exasperated citizen can take.

We're not MILES apart here; I view it from a different perspective of "will".   The government CAN intervene, if the people allow them to, and only to the extent they are allowed to.   But I see no moral or ethical reason that they SHOULD intervene, or that they should intervene at the expense of the will of the people.   

I don't know what you mean by "getting people killed"; if someone dies, it's no longer a moral or ethical thing, it's a civil rights thing.

In what universe do the two not coincide in practically every respect? Surely it is the job of the government to make sure we live in some at base moral way. I find it hard to believe that when you strip back all the jobs of government broadly conceived, from as limited as you can get to as expansive, the government is in some way regulating, legislating, and guiding morality.

In any universe where the person in question isn't averse to killing.  In any universe - such as ours - where there are exceptions to the laws against homicide.   There are several ways I can legally and without any consequence effect the homicide of another person.  Those distinctions are almost always when we deem the right to life lesser than any other rights that are immediately being compromised.

Look, we're splitting hairs here in a practical sense, but I don't see any need for a government to enforce morals.   As I've written before elsewhere, "laws" are not our optimal existance, they are our base existance.  They are the limits to what we can DEMAND of others.   "Morals" and "ethics" are what we can ASK of others.   I understand that there are laws on the books now that seem to "demand" morals, and that's true, but that's not to say I think those are a good thing.  I think we need laws to make sure rights are honored and respected, no more.   

Also, the "I stand back and let you do your thing while you let me do mine" is the attitude of those who stand by while "government authorities" trample over the so-called "rights" to speech and peaceful assembly, with many citizens dying in the process.

But - and I say this respectfully - you can't change the focus of the discussion midway like that.  If RIGHTS are being trampled then there's no standing back.  I'm very clearly talking about all of those instances where rights ARE being trampled.  It's a mindset; we have to get out of this idea that we can set morals for everyone, and get back into the mindset of "where do my rights and your rights intersect, and how do we deal with that?"   And I'm not naive or living under a rock; I recognize that has implications in our every day life.  Half of the identity politics platform is undermined when you make that shift; I'm okay with that, because the other half is strengthened, and strengthened more than the undermine.   

For me, whether it's a lawyer, a politician, or someone else, the "ethical" argument for practical legal positions is, more often than not, the argument of the weak.  For me, ANY of the so-called ethical arguments we can talk about boil down also to some infringement on rights, and that's where the DEMAND comes from.

Very Nietzschian. Quite badass.

I don't know about "badass"; but I do know that increasingly in today's debates the arguments are getting weaker and weaker, and (I do not at all thing coincidentally) the "moral" arguments are getting more and more prominent.   Here, in this topic, my junior senator has made gun control his personal meal ticket crusade, and since he doesn't have the data and science behind him - or, to be fair, he knows that what little data and science he does have will fall on deaf ears - he falls back on "our moral obligation" in photo ops with the Sandy Hook (also my state) survivors and their families.   

I'm aware. This is the crux of the issue and of all good government. Ultimately though, I think the government should be able to force you to do quite a lot.

Where we disagree. 

"Climate change" is but one of many, obvious, egregious examples of that idea.   Climate change is bogus?

No, climate change is not bogus, but I'm deeply uncomfortable with the way the notion of the tragedy of the commons has been interpreted as a something of a manifesto for the benefits of private ownership in the wake of the idea's initial publication.

Well, I can understand and even agree with that.   I don't view it as a manifesto of "private ownership" per se.   I see it as a tool to understand the interaction between public and private ownership, and how human nature left to its own devices is ineffective.  (There's also a decent argument in there as to why common sense is utter bullshit too, but I'd be stretching things.)

There's the rub. I've always had a soft spot for originalists on the supreme court because I didn't think it made much sense for unelected judges to legislate from the bench, and originalism provided a fine (but often specious) method for maneuvering around the pitfalls of too strong a judiciary. That is to say, I didn't like the idea of the constitution being molded by progressively minded judges (no matter how much I agreed with them) because a hack like Alito could always come along and fuck it up. So I get you. You want to institute a government where its institutions allow for all sides to be heard, all viewpoints to be considered, and there's no tyranny of the majority, etc.

Yet, re that social contract you talked about earlier, that's still there. And there are those who break the social contract: citizens and rulers alike. And when they break that contract egregiously enough, even if not everyone agrees the contract's been broken, then force is necessary. Where is the line? No idea. But it's there.

Sure is, don't disagree.  But you really hit the nail on the head.  Not only do I want to minimize the "tyranny of the majority", I don't trust it, and I don't have faith in it.  I fear it, actually.  There's no justification in numbers, and that has been proven over and over and over and over.    Doubly insidious when we pull in meaningless sops like "we're on the right side of history!"  At that point, we're only steps away from being told we have a "moral obligation" and we're back where we started 300 words or so ago.    I want us to be great humans. I want us to be compassionate, to be kind, and to, as i like to put it, tend our own garden.  I just don't want government, which can so easily fall into the hands of people like Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, to be the arbiter of that.   

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »
Without creating a giant quote, Stadler I agree with everything you just said.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »
One thing I will say, the folks who are choosing now to become gun owners picked a bad time.  Researching and shopping I watched all of the parts disappear over a period of two weeks. I've done alright with my purchase, but it took a great deal of effort. It's going to take quite a while for inventories to build back up. And if you do find the weapon you want, good luck finding ammo for it. Something I'd certainly suggest is that if you're trying to decide on .40 or 9mm, look at ammo inventories first. You're going to want to practice, and that's going to be pretty tough right now.
E.F. Benson

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2020, 05:52:08 PM »
I think I will buy a shotgun when I get a weapon. My eye sight isn't very good so I need to be able to hit the broad side of a Barn   :lol

Any recommendations?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2020, 06:35:43 PM »
Maybe a bigger barn? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2020, 06:59:55 PM »
I think I will buy a shotgun when I get a weapon. My eye sight isn't very good so I need to be able to hit the broad side of a Barn   :lol

Any recommendations?
Yeah. Get a big scary dog, instead.
E.F. Benson

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2020, 07:17:18 PM »
Maybe a bigger barn? ;D

ha ha   :censored :biggrin:

Any recommendations?
Yeah. Get a big scary dog, instead.

I would, but the city I live in doesn't like dogs very much.  They like to give out citations as if they were sticks of gum.

However, if it puts you at ease, I have gone target practicing plenty with friends (shotguns, hand guns, rifles...)  But I need a powerful scope.  I just don't see well enough to legally drive.  I'm not so worried about hitting something or someone I shouldn't, but more worried about missing the target because I don't want to need a scope in a potentially scary situation.  And I figured a shotgun would solve that for me.  My sight isn't so bad that I would accidentally shoot people I know or police. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
WTF?

Guns yes
Dogs no

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »
Something I'd certainly suggest is that if you're trying to decide on .40 or 9mm, look at ammo inventories first. You're going to want to practice, and that's going to be pretty tough right now.

Yep. We are supposed to have our yearly training exercise for Church Security mid August and I really don't want to do it because it's usually a 1000 round day. Ammo is not supplied...you bring your own. That's a tough pill to swallow right now because even when ammo is delivered to stores it's gone within a couple hours. Plus, it's F'n expensive to restock. I shot 200 rounds about three weeks ago when I went out to my Grandfather's house. That's the least I've shot in a setting like that in ages but I just didn't want to burn ammo.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2020, 07:23:15 AM »
WTF?

Guns yes
Dogs no

:lol

Yeah, basically.  It's not that we can't have dogs, its just the city finds anyway possible to give out citations regarding dogs.  And they aren't small either $1000 bucks and a misdemeanor on your record!  So, until I move out to the country, no dogs.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2020, 07:30:08 AM »
Something I'd certainly suggest is that if you're trying to decide on .40 or 9mm, look at ammo inventories first. You're going to want to practice, and that's going to be pretty tough right now.

Yep. We are supposed to have our yearly training exercise for Church Security mid August and I really don't want to do it because it's usually a 1000 round day. Ammo is not supplied...you bring your own. That's a tough pill to swallow right now because even when ammo is delivered to stores it's gone within a couple hours. Plus, it's F'n expensive to restock. I shot 200 rounds about three weeks ago when I went out to my Grandfather's house. That's the least I've shot in a setting like that in ages but I just didn't want to burn ammo.

I'm actually really surprised a company hasn't yet capitalized on the expense of target/range shooting. While not 100% identical, I feel like someone could engineer a CO2 pistol with realistic blow back that'd fired larger caliber lead pellets for the sake of practicing. The 12 gram cartridges wouldn't be enough, you'd have to run a line to a larger tank, but so what. You could have lines plumbed to each booth at a range and just feed off a mother tank. It'd be there to specifically to work on form and practicing without it costing people an arm and a leg. It'd also be a lot quieter. 

I could fire 1000 pellet rounds out of my break barrel rifles for like $11. I'm surprised that hasn't been adapted to a higher caliber for more serious shooters.   

It'd be specifically to work on form and practicing without it costing people an arm and a leg. It'd also be a lot quieter.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2020, 08:11:11 AM »

I'm actually really surprised a company hasn't yet capitalized on the expense of target/range shooting. While not 100% identical, I feel like someone could engineer a CO2 pistol with realistic blow back that'd fired larger caliber lead pellets for the sake of practicing. The 12 gram cartridges wouldn't be enough, you'd have to run a line to a larger tank, but so what. You could have lines plumbed to each booth at a range and just feed off a mother tank. It'd be there to specifically to work on form and practicing without it costing people an arm and a leg. It'd also be a lot quieter. 

I could fire 1000 pellet rounds out of my break barrel rifles for like $11. I'm surprised that hasn't been adapted to a higher caliber for more serious shooters.   

It'd be specifically to work on form and practicing without it costing people an arm and a leg. It'd also be a lot quieter.
All weapons fire differently, and more importantly, all ammunition fires differently. You really need to train with the weapon, and ideally the ammunition you plan on using. Particularly when it comes to form, and that's what you'd be losing switching to CO2.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2020, 08:20:01 AM »
Just curious....what are the costs of gun ownership in general?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2020, 08:40:29 AM »
Just curious....what are the costs of gun ownership in general?
I paid $379 for my Sig (they're closer to 5 bills now). Under normal circumstances 50 9mm rounds cost about $11. If you live in a state with no public shooting, like Texas, a trip to the range will set you back $15-20/trip, or $350/yr. So in my case just going to get in some practice during my lunch break sets me back about $60+tax. Adding a rifle into the mix, 5.56/.223 ammo runs about 40¢/bang, so basically double your ammo cost. If you want to carry, the license is $140 initially (4 years) and another 50-100 for the class.

edit:Oh yeah, new shooter, one-time purchases. Drop $15-20 on some ear protection. Ranges will require eye protection, too, but that's only a couple of bucks. You'll want something to shoot at, and despite being cheap, targets are stupidly over priced (they're paper, FFS). A case or a holster to carry your weapon. Prices will vary with the weapon (I probably paid $30 for my cheap leather holster). A case for your AR will certainly be more expensive. Probably quite a few other one-time purchases that I'm overlooking. 
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
Guns?

That is terrible. Were the suspects caught?

Yes, and there was even a brief shoot-out with the police, in the next town over from me.  But they got them.  I'm pretty sure their parole officers aren't even born yet.  :police:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
Barry, I am truly sorry for laughing at anything connected with such a horrific experience, but...
I'm pretty sure their parole officers aren't even born yet.  :police:
:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »
Forgot to share my experience here. I got my pistol safety cert the other day and got all my paperwork into the police last week. Should hopefully hear back in 8-10 weeks on whether or not I passed my federal background check (idk why I wouldn't).

The whole day was a very weird/different experience. First off, the course was kind of a joke. We learned a lot, but it's designed so literally no one fails. The test was 25 multiple choice questions and 25 T/F questions. We went through a text book, and question by question the instructor would say "Okay, this next bit is going to be on the exam" and then he'd read the excerpt that was worded exactly the same as the question on the exam. The only way to not pass would have been to piss the guy off to the point he would throw you out of the class.

The gun shop itself gave me a really weird vibe. I felt like I didn't fit in, and definitely got a weird look or two when I mentioned where I worked. I know the typical 2A crowd and I don't agree on much, but it felt like there was legit tension in the room. The building was filled with pictures of Trump with political propaganda, and virtue signalling posters were hung anywhere there was wall space. There were two huge posters as soon as you walked in. The first one said "If you can read this sign, thank a teacher. Since you're reading it in English, thank a soldier::). The other was a giant sign that said "If we suspect you are on and/or use marijuana, you will be asked to leave". Just seemed a little strange that they didn't call out any other intoxicant or medication that could legitimately incapacitate you, especially when this particular shop didn't even have a range.

For the live fire (different shop with a range), we used a Ruger Mark II. It was pretty easy to shoot from 35'. Below are the 15 shots I took.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2020, 08:28:48 AM »
Forgot to share my experience here. I got my pistol safety cert the other day and got all my paperwork into the police last week. Should hopefully hear back in 8-10 weeks on whether or not I passed my federal background check (idk why I wouldn't).

The whole day was a very weird/different experience. First off, the course was kind of a joke. We learned a lot, but it's designed so literally no one fails. The test was 25 multiple choice questions and 25 T/F questions. We went through a text book, and question by question the instructor would say "Okay, this next bit is going to be on the exam" and then he'd read the excerpt that was worded exactly the same as the question on the exam. The only way to not pass would have been to piss the guy off to the point he would throw you out of the class.

The gun shop itself gave me a really weird vibe. I felt like I didn't fit in, and definitely got a weird look or two when I mentioned where I worked. I know the typical 2A crowd and I don't agree on much, but it felt like there was legit tension in the room. The building was filled with pictures of Trump with political propaganda, and virtue signalling posters were hung anywhere there was wall space. There were two huge posters as soon as you walked in. The first one said "If you can read this sign, thank a teacher. Since you're reading it in English, thank a soldier::). The other was a giant sign that said "If we suspect you are on and/or use marijuana, you will be asked to leave". Just seemed a little strange that they didn't call out any other intoxicant or medication that could legitimately incapacitate you, especially when this particular shop didn't even have a range.

For the live fire (different shop with a range), we used a Ruger Mark II. It was pretty easy to shoot from 35'. Below are the 15 shots I took.
[[SNIP]]
Gun ranges always have a weird vibe for me. They always feel like the next meeting of the National Freedom Coalition is fixing to come to order. Really don't like them much at all. I did find an outdoor range in Ft Worth that'll let me shoot the cheap Rooskie ammo I've got so I'll be checking them out pretty soon. Kind of hopeful that an outdoor range will have a different vibe.

I was looking into getting my Texas CCW just yesterday. (I've been carrying to and from work anyway.) I assumed that it would be just like the defensive driving test, which nobody ever fails, and you pretty much described it to a T. Down here you can even take them online now. And giving you a .22LR to take the test with was a friendly gesture.  :lol  If we're being honest they should probably make you take it with a Taurus Judge or Dirty Harry's gun.

Out of curiosity, was the format anything like Texas's?

Stage 1: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 3 yards.
A. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 2 seconds allowed for each shot.
B. Ten shots (10) fired in a “Two Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each two shot sequence.
C. Five (5) shots fired in 10 seconds

Stage 2: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 7 yards – fired 5 stages.
A. Five (5) shots will be fired in 10 seconds
B. Five (5) shots will be fired in 2 stages:
1. Two (2) shots will be fired in 4 seconds
2. Three (3) shots will be fired in 6 seconds
C. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each shot.
D. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Stage 3: Ten shots (10) fired from 15 yards – fired in two 5-shot strings.
A. Five (5) shots fired in two stages:
1. Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds.
2. Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds.
B. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Or was it "just hit the target 15 times and we're good?"
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2020, 08:52:08 AM »
So there's an actual shooting test in Texas to get the CCW, wow. Pretty much expected that for Connecticut, but I was thinking Texas would be a little looser.

PA, you walk into the courthouse, turn in you application, pay $10 bucks and then pick it up, lol.  And for the record, I do think the shooting test is a good idea, its just interesting to see what different states require.

Now I've been to the range many times, have shot hundreds of rounds getting competent with the gun, but I can guarantee that there's many people in my state that get a Gun and the CCW and never even fire it once, until a mishap happens.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:58:07 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »

Out of curiosity, was the format anything like Texas's?

Stage 1: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 3 yards.
A. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 2 seconds allowed for each shot.
B. Ten shots (10) fired in a “Two Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each two shot sequence.
C. Five (5) shots fired in 10 seconds

Stage 2: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 7 yards – fired 5 stages.
A. Five (5) shots will be fired in 10 seconds
B. Five (5) shots will be fired in 2 stages:
1. Two (2) shots will be fired in 4 seconds
2. Three (3) shots will be fired in 6 seconds
C. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each shot.
D. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Stage 3: Ten shots (10) fired from 15 yards – fired in two 5-shot strings.
A. Five (5) shots fired in two stages:
1. Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds.
2. Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds.
B. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Or was it "just hit the target 15 times and we're good?"

Nothing like that at all. We had 90 minutes for 12 people to get in and out of their lane. The instructor basically laid down 5 rounds, had you load them into the magazine and them into the gun, and then take your 5 shots at your pace. This was then repeated two more times totaling 15. The pace was at your discretion, and the distance was fixed.

And giving you a .22LR to take the test with was a friendly gesture.  :lol  If we're being honest they should probably make you take it with a Taurus Judge or Dirty Harry's gun.

I swear I have a pellet pistol with more recoil than the gun I used in the live fire  :lol. It had a red dot site on it too. It was almost like cheating.