Author Topic: Guns: Yay or nay?  (Read 38407 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Guns: Yay or nay?
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
I know this thread is ancient. My bad if there was a more recent one.

Yesterday I registered at a gun shop in town to take the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course in order to obtain my CC permit. Earliest available was September 6th though. I spoke to the instructor and he said between having to cancel classes for a while because of Covid and the events of the last week or so, demand is crazy high right now. I'd like to get both a revolver and a semi-auto pistol. I've gone out shooting with friends many times, but don't have anything of my own other than a couple of CO2 pellet pistols and a couple break-barrel rifles.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:34:54 AM by Chino »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »
Do you have any particular semi autos in mind Chino?

Like brand wise and caliber. There's tons of different models and I tried a whole bunch before deciding on a Glock 19 (which is 9mm)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Certainly been a big run on guns and gun parts the last month or so. This is happening at the same time manufacturers are having to shut down, obviously.  I was in the middle of configuring an upper receiver for an AR platform rifle online when half the parts I was going to be using up and sold out on me. While there are still parts available I'd kind of sold myself on a specific manufacturer. No telling when they'll be back.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
Like brand wise and caliber. There's tons of different models and I tried a whole bunch before deciding on a Glock 19 (which is 9mm)
I've fired a friend's G19 plenty of times. Good weapon and I understand the appeal. Myself, I have a mental opposition to striker fired weapons. I want the visual and tactile clues of an actual hammer. I suppose it's probably irrational, but comfort and familiarity are important.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »

I really like the Beretta 92X, but I don't know how that one would work with my state's new laws regarding magazine size. I used one years ago and really liked it.

As for the revolver, I've been looking at a few from Smith & Wesson. I like the 586 L-comp, but I'm still up in the air.

It's kind of overwhelming actually trying to shop around. Normally what I shoot is dictated by whatever my buddies aren't shooting.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:21 AM »
I do not own a gun and have no desire to own a gun.  The only shooting I do is on my PS4 and I'm damn good at it.   :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
Prior to starting a family I didn't think much about this, but ever since I have considered emigration many times, as I have some support in other countries where I could reside with the help of close friends who would help me settle smoothly. The reason has nothing to do with the usual ones of disagreeing with a country's politics (and while I do disagree with a lot of US politics, I could suck it up and bear it). Rather, it is more driven by fears related to raising children in a country with so much gun violence. So no, I do not support gun ownership as it exists in the US, if only we weren't already so down the path that something could be done about it...

As for my own self-defense, I don't think it's necessary. If someone is coming to rob my place, they can have whatever they want. I'm no hero, and me being armed is not going to make the situation any better. I have no material possessions worth defending at the expense of another's life.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »

I really like the Beretta 92X, but I don't know how that one would work with my state's new laws regarding magazine size. I used one years ago and really liked it.

As for the revolver, I've been looking at a few from Smith & Wesson. I like the 586 L-comp, but I'm still up in the air.

It's kind of overwhelming actually trying to shop around. Normally what I shoot is dictated by whatever my buddies aren't shooting.

Very cool. My first gun was a Beretta 92 FS, which is very similar. I liked it a lot, the safety was nice and it was a decent shooter. It ended up being a little too big for concealed carry so I traded it for the smaller glock.

I'll admit I'm not as experienced with revolvers as much as semi auto but the 586 L-comp looks pretty decent. And its both single and double action which is very nice. I've shot .357 magnum rounds in the S & W 686 which was a lot of fun.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »

I really like the Beretta 92X,

Was just looking at the specs on this one......looks like a nice gun. What I will say is that if you're planning to carry all the time.....keep comfort in mind. Full size guns can be annoying when concealing just as a comfort level. I personally carry all the time so I went with a more compact gun for my main carry as comfort is a factor as well....the Springfield Armory XDS, 9mm. There is a .45 option as well but I've found that compact .45's can be brutal to shoot depending on the company.

There are a lot of great compact handguns out there.....Sig Sauer has a few.....Kimber, even the Glocks. It's obviously personal preference and what you're confident with and what you're looking to accomplish.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-series-handguns/xd-s-mod-2-handguns/
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »

Was just looking at the specs on this one......looks like a nice gun. What I will say is that if you're planning to carry all the time.....keep comfort in mind. Full size guns can be annoying when concealing just as a comfort level. I personally carry all the time so I went with a more compact gun for my main carry as comfort is a factor as well....the Springfield Armory XDS, 9mm. There is a .45 option as well but I've found that compact .45's can be brutal to shoot depending on the company.

There are a lot of great compact handguns out there.....Sig Sauer has a few.....Kimber, even the Glocks. It's obviously personal preference and what you're confident with and what you're looking to accomplish.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm still up in the air with carrying. I'd like one for home/defense (Beretta), and the revolver is mainly because I like the mechanical/aesthetics and I'd like it for the range. I wouldn't be oppose to using that as my carry should I choose to do so. I've looked at number of 5-shooters that look pretty compact. I don't envision myself leaving the house strapped unless there's some serious shit in the neighborhood going down or something.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:48 AM »
Nay

Guns are an illusion of safety that do more harm than good.

No other developed nation comes close to the level of gun violence in the US and it’s pretty clear on the reason for that; more guns = more gun violence. If you want a musket or one hunting rifle, fine- ban the rest.

Disarm police officers as well. Cops don’t need to carry a handgun everywhere as a routine.

At this point the only reason we keep guns is because it’s been ingrained in American culture and we like them as a hobby. That’s fine, but we need to stop pretending that they are some sort of net positive for society.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm still up in the air with carrying. I'd like one for home/defense (Beretta), and the revolver is mainly because I like the mechanical/aesthetics and I'd like it for the range. I wouldn't be oppose to using that as my carry should I choose to do so. I've looked at number of 5-shooters that look pretty compact. I don't envision myself leaving the house strapped unless there's some serious shit in the neighborhood going down or something.

Yeah, if that's the case given your familiarity and comfort level with that Beretta.....it seems like it'd be the leading contender. And you're right....if you chose to Conceal those revolvers are pretty easily concealed.

At this point being....well shoot....it's 14 years now I've had my conceal permit...wow....I can honestly say out of those 14 years.....maybe a total of 7-10 days I didn't have my gun physically on me. I just feel odd when I don't at this point, like something is 'off'....just doesn't feel right.

Shoot....even when we plan our family vacations I won't go to a State that doesn't have reciprocity carry with Missouri's permits. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
Nay

No other developed nation comes close to the level of gun violence in the US and it’s pretty clear on the reason for that; more guns = more gun violence. If you want a musket or one hunting rifle, fine- ban the rest.

Disarm police officers as well. Cops don’t need to carry a handgun everywhere as a routine.

At this point the only reason we keep guns is because it’s been ingrained in American culture and we like them as a hobby. That’s fine, but we need to stop pretending that they are some sort of net positive for society.

Cool and all but I don't think that post is the 'spirit' of this thread. That's more of a P/R post.....to which I'd push back on pretty hard. but won't in this one as to not get it locked or moved.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
Nay

Please take it to P/R.  I've written EXTENSIVELY - with cites and statistics - that show that the association you make is not accurately reflected in reality.   You're entitled to your opinion, but you ought to at least look at the numbers to see if your opinion is consistent with the data (and it's not).  Owning guns is not in and of itself bad, or a direct cause of gun violence.  There are other factors at work here, but this is not the particular thread to get into all that.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Gary.   Sorry. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
Guns? Yay.

Roses? Nay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:25 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
Guns? Yay.

Roses? Nay.

Why not both?  Funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns  :biggrin: :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »
Guns? Yay.

Roses? Nay.

Are you saying that only half the band members were good?  Hmmm, I'd agree with that  :biggrin:

On topic:  I wish I could give a recommendation on which gun you should buy Chino.  I only own a pellet rifle.  Being legally blind it's probably not a good idea for me ot own a gun.  But, a former police officer coworker of mine got a Tp9sf and said it is a really great pistal that won't break the bank.

He's been trying to get me to buy one.  But I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet  :facepalm:
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2020, 12:28:37 AM »
I'm from the UK and we don't have guns for the public - which to me makes sense.  Because of that we pretty much have zero gun crime, and that's how prefer it personally.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2020, 01:55:16 AM »
No unless your utopia is a Mad Max dystopian future.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »
No unless your utopia is a Mad Max dystopian future.
What if it's your nightmare come true?
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »
I'm probably in a unique situation where my wife has a gun permit and I don't.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2020, 03:26:47 PM »

:omg:

The shame you've brought upon your family for a statement like that!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »

That's because your wife is not insane. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2020, 08:19:01 AM »
I live in Oklahoma - we're a 'yee-haw' constitutional carry state. Nearly anyone can carry without a permit. So I do. Keep in mind that I've committed myself to the proper training, understanding, and safe-handling of firearms. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for everyone else.

Have I ever been in a situation where I needed to shoot someone? No. Will I never need to defend myself with deadly force in the future? Not likely, but not impossible. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That being said, maaany months ago, I decided to purchase my first firearm. After many man-hours of Google Fu and extensive youtube research, I came to the conclusion that the Canik TP9SF was the best pistol in my price range. And boy howdy, do I love it.

Back before corona started, I was talking to a friend of mine. He's somewhat a gun enthusiast and brings up his weapons every now and then. He's one of those fellas that's a lot of talk. Before I got my gun, he talked about how we should go the range and he could teach me how to shoot.

I got my gun. We went to the range. This is... my fourth time at a range? I'm on the right, he's on the left.  (right click -> view image, if you need to zoom)

A little bit of youtube and self-awareness combined with self-adjustment will do wonders. I analyzed myself, watched some vidoes, and then taught myself how to shoot with both eyes open. For comparison, this is from my first time at the range:

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »

Have I ever been in a situation where I needed to shoot someone? No. Will I never need to defend myself with deadly force in the future? Not likely, but not impossible. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Exactly...  Just like the old saying, "You don't need one till you do".  I'm a firm believer in the second amendment.  Unfortunately I live in probably the most restrictive state in the US  (California).  I have an AR15 that I bought here in Cali about 7 years ago.  That weapon can't leave my home because of new restrictions (without senseless modifications).  We are retiring in 3 years, probably to Florida, and can't wait to lose the CA restrictions. 

Yay on gun owning
Nay on Background checks
Nay on Gun registration
Nay on magazine size restrictions

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »
Nay on background checks??? Holy jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick!
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2020, 12:16:53 PM »
Nay on background checks??? Holy jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick!

Yeah, that's a Jesus on a pogo stick for me too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2020, 12:29:13 PM »
Is that a shock?  Not to me really.  Currently 29 states don't require background checks.  And another 5-10 only require it for handguns.  My issue with potential background checks has to do with criteria, and the fact that it's being done by a Govt. agency.  Who let's face it aren't all that reliable.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »

Exactly...  Just like the old saying, "You don't need one till you do".  I'm a firm believer in the second amendment.  Unfortunately I live in probably the most restrictive state in the US  (California).  I have an AR15 that I bought here in Cali about 7 years ago.  That weapon can't leave my home because of new restrictions (without senseless modifications).  We are retiring in 3 years, probably to Florida, and can't wait to lose the CA restrictions. 

Yay on gun owning
Nay on Background checks
Nay on Gun registration
Nay on magazine size restrictions

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Yep, nay for background checks for me as well.  Plus it's unconstitutional.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2020, 12:46:09 PM »
Is that a shock?  Not to me really.  Currently 29 states don't require background checks.  And another 5-10 only require it for handguns.  My issue with potential background checks has to do with criteria, and the fact that it's being done by a Govt. agency.  Who let's face it aren't all that reliable.
I'd probably go with insane, rather than shocking.  :lol

Look, I'm one of the pro-gun folks on this board. I sleep with a Sig next to my bead and I've got the upper for an AR platform rifle right next to me (the lower is on the way). I think most of the rules and regs people come up with are pretty fucking stupid. Background checks, though, are about the very least we can do to try and keep guns away from knuckleheads and scumbags, and I think every single one of us thinks that's a pretty good thing to do. It's a quick and painless process, mine took 15 minutes, and the lack of reliability tends to work the wrong way. That is, people slip through the cracks rather than honest folk getting denied. Even the NRA supports background checks, and those guys are fucking terrorists.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »

Look, I'm one of the pro-gun folks on this board. I sleep with a Sig next to my bead and I've got the upper for an AR platform rifle right next to me (the lower is on the way). I think most of the rules and regs people come up with are pretty fucking stupid. Background checks, though, are about the very least we can do to try and keep guns away from knuckleheads and scumbags, and I think every single one of us thinks that's a pretty good thing to do. It's a quick and painless process, mine took 15 minutes, and the lack of reliability tends to work the wrong way. That is, people slip through the cracks rather than honest folk getting denied. Even the NRA supports background checks, and those guys are fucking terrorists.
The NRA are terrorists??   :o  Welp...like discussed earlier, not gonna go down the P/R road with this.  We all have our opinions.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »
I'm OK with owning a gun.  I think we have to adjust to the times.  Look at the last 9 incidents with mass killings and all guns were bought by the killer.  Not all are mentally stable enough to handle the responsibility of gun ownership.  Also those who committed crimes need to have guidelines to prove they have been upstanding for a certain limit of time to be allowed to own a gun again. 

Also, if you are a law abiding citizen who wants another gun, what is an extra week or 2 more to own multiple guns to make sure those unstable or with viscous tendencies are weeded out from purchasing them?

BTW El Barto, I live 20 minutes from the main Sig Sauer plant.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »

I bought my gun at Academy and it took maybe 5 minutes. Easy and painless.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »

Yeah, I'm with Barto.  There isn't a good reason to NOT have background checks, and plenty of good reason FOR.  And they have been expressly found to be Constitutional, so the statement that they are not is just flat out wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."