Author Topic: Guns: Yay or nay?  (Read 38411 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Guns: Yay or nay?
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
I never did. But I am saying that if both people have guns, someone is getting shot, and with all due respect to any who have a gun, but I would rather have a robber steal your shit and get away with it than you shoot them.

My opinion of it all is this, more guns leads to more violence. Note how I did not say crime, but violence. Whether it be through crime, TV, video games, movies, etc.
I don't think you're putting yourself into the situation at hand here. If someone is robbing you and you don't have a gun, they have the opportunity to do whatever the hell they want. This includes anything from scary the hell out of you, to stealing your stuff, to killing you and you can't do shit about it. If you have a gun, they can't do whatever the hell they want without having to go through you first. And since most gun owners shoot enough to have a very good understanding and respect for their weapon, they will have a greater likelihood of coming out on top in the case of a shoot-out. If you have a gun and someone is trying to rob you, you have a chance to be in control of the situation.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
That doesn't stop me from not liking the outcome of it all.

What I would be interested in seeing, and I'll search for these stats soon would be the number of armed robberies and the number of armed robberies with murder. There's a legal name for it, but I forget what it is.

What I mean is that, yes, if someone has a gone, they can very well shoot you, but they most likely won't, but if you have a gun and they have gun, as I've said before, someone is gettin' a cap in theya' as'!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
I see your point, but I'd rather have the opportunity to defend myself. I don't want to be at the mercy of some crazy mother fucker.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
This has been a pretty good discussion. Anyway, I feel similarly to Bosk and Kirk. I don't own any guns, nor have I ever fired one. I think going to a range would be a blast (lol) though. 7SB, have you been to any in the NYC area?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
This has been a pretty good discussion. Anyway, I feel similarly to Bosk and Kirk. I don't own any guns, nor have I ever fired one. I think going to a range would be a blast (lol) though. 7SB, have you been to any in the NYC area?

The firing of a sniper rifle is one of the greatest feelingS. You can stick a round through a quarter 250+ feet away. There is something really gratifying about being able to do something like that, it's pretty amazing. Firing two hand guns at a time is the manliest thing I've ever done.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
I don't understand the appeal of shooting to be honest.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »
I don't understand the appeal of shooting to be honest.

Have you ever done it?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
Yeah. I mean, skeet shooting was entertaining, but beyond that it wasn't particularly fun.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
Regarding the guns at home in case of armed robbery, suppose the robber decides to shoot you regardless of whether you fork over your stuff or not; you'd probably want to have a gun on you.  I mean, I realize that robbers are not synonymous with murderers, but they're not guaranteed to have to decency to care about whether or not the victim lives or not. 

As for sport shooting, I'm not particularly interested and don't know how to use a gun, even.  If that's what one enjoys doing, let them do it; they're not messing anyone up.  I do intend to learn how to use a gun at some point, though; not expecting to need to use one, but if the need comes, might as well have one on hand and know how to use it. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
I say nay. I'm generally a pretty pacifistic person and something of a treehugger, so that oughta leave little enough for the imagination to fill in.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
I have to chalk that up to bad priorities. If a robber came into my house and demanded shit at gun point, I'd ask him if he would like it gift wrapped.
And if he asks if you want him to fuck you or your mother first?  Not every burglary is about theft.  There's also the possibility that he wasn't expecting to find anybody there, and isn't so keen on the idea of leaving behind witnesses. 

Also, confrontation with a less than lethal weapon can seriously bite you in the ass.  You could ask Sean Taylor about that (if he weren't dead).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
I have an old bolt-action .22 rifle that my dad gave me when I was 13, which was given to him when HE was 13.  Shooting is fun.  Keeping a gun locked away by your bedside for self-defense is fine.  If you're going to own a gun, a hunting rifle, or even a small armory, keep the damn things locked up. 

I also agree that heavy-duty weapons shouldn't be sold to the public, though.  That's just asking for trouble. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »

No I haven't yet.  I've been wanting to, but the one on the west side only has like .22s and its 50 bucks or something for 50 rounds.  I went to a range in PA and got to shoot awesome stuff.

NYC is tough.  You need to have a background check done on you before you even go, and you can't shoot pistols at the range without having a license for handguns first.

https://sunsethill.slvrcreek.com/home.htm
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:44 PM »
I have an old bolt-action .22 rifle that my dad gave me when I was 13, which was given to him when HE was 13.  Shooting is fun.  Keeping a gun locked away by your bedside for self-defense is fine.  If you're going to own a gun, a hunting rifle, or even a small armory, keep the damn things locked up. 

I also agree that heavy-duty weapons shouldn't be sold to the public, though.  That's just asking for trouble.

Is it though?  According to that graph I posted earlier, most gun deaths come from handguns.  People who get ahold of assault rifles legally aren't the ones killing people with assault rifles.  I'm sure that's more of a gang's thing that got them illegally.

This might be a double post, if so I'm sorry.  It is late.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »
Yes. I dont hunt, but I own a couple of shotguns, some handguns, and some rifles. I do like to target shoot, and I have them for protection. Mrs. Vox knows how to use them too.  :biggrin:

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »
I'm fine with guns for home protection and hunting, but I'm against hunting for sport. I really see it as a waste of animals (and ammunition). Of course, if I decided to be a hunter, for sport or meat, I'd use a bow and arrow.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
I think everyone has the right to own a gun for personal home protection, in case someone ever breaks in or whatever. The problem, of course, is there's no way to be sure that a person wouldn't use it irresponsibly outside of the home.

As for hunting, I see nothing wrong with it as long as the hunter eats whatever he kills.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2012, 04:12:09 AM »

I can't fully agree with this. I don't know the statistics, but I bet far more people die from handguns under .44 calliber than they do large weapons. They are much easier to hide and sneak into places.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2012, 04:38:40 AM »
Skiing isn't a sport designed to kill.

Either is marksmanship??

But no skier has lost their temper and killed someone with their skis.

Ok but if you don't like it, don't go.  Don't stop other people from enjoying it.  I felt safer at the gun range than I did while snowboarding, and I was a good snowboarder.

Yes guns can be lethal, but so can a lot of things.  I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of people who would use them for harming other people. 

EDIT:  Also, lets get real.  How often do you hear about a marksman going insane at a gun range or at a shooting event and killing people.  No.  Most shootings are done by gang members or during some other crime related activity.
If all guns were used for was marksmanship and other sport, that would be fine with me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40:00 AM »
Skiing isn't a sport designed to kill.

Either is marksmanship??

But no skier has lost their temper and killed someone with their skis.

Ok but if you don't like it, don't go.  Don't stop other people from enjoying it.  I felt safer at the gun range than I did while snowboarding, and I was a good snowboarder.

Yes guns can be lethal, but so can a lot of things.  I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of people who would use them for harming other people. 

EDIT:  Also, lets get real.  How often do you hear about a marksman going insane at a gun range or at a shooting event and killing people.  No.  Most shootings are done by gang members or during some other crime related activity.
If all guns were used for was marksmanship and other sport, that would be fine with me.

Should we ban steak knives and tire irons too?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2012, 04:42:46 AM »
No. Why would you ban those?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:31 AM »
Because you say you would have no problem with gun as long as they are all used 100% only for sport. Steak knives aren't used only for assisting in the eating of delicious meats, and tire irons are not only used for changing a flat.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:31 AM »
Proportions

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:50 AM »
So you honestly can't see the difference?

I mean, for a start, some lunatic can't exactly go around killing a whole bunch of people with a tire iron.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2012, 05:20:45 AM »

I mean, for a start, some lunatic can't exactly go around killing a whole bunch of people with a tire iron.

That's not the point. What I'm saying is that a gun is just as safe as a knife or tire iron when used properly. Just because some people use them for harm doesn't mean everyone should suffer the conciseness.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2012, 05:31:36 AM »
I am Canadian.
That should be answer enough for the handgun stuff.
Though we're alowed to own them, it is so restrictive it's not really worth it.

My father was a huge hunter but sold all of his rifles when I was born and completely kept that part of his life from me during my up bringing.

I have fired a revolver and a rifle in my life, but consider myself completely "gun stupid".
They do not interest me.
Nor do I see the value in owning one or keeping one around the home.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:19 AM »

That's not the point. What I'm saying is that a gun is just as safe as a knife or tire iron when used properly. Just because some people use them for harm doesn't mean everyone should suffer the conciseness.
Yes but people don't stock up tire irons at their house.

A kid I went to school with had his brains blown out because a gun was left lying around his uncle's house.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »
In a perfect world:

guns would be sold to everyone but I get to keep all the ammo. because honestly, I don't trust any of you yahoos with so much as a spool of yarn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:51 AM »
In a perfect world:

guns would be sold to everyone but I get to keep all the ammo. because honestly, I don't trust any of you yahoos with so much as a spool of yarn

And you're right not to. I'd just use that shit as garrotte wire anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2012, 06:02:26 AM »
I personally do not own, but I have no problem with other people owning for protection (as long as they are trained) or recreational purposes (again training required/gun safety classes and so forth)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2012, 06:29:33 AM »

Again, a gun's one sole purpose is to hurt, maim, kill, or otherwise injure someone or something.  Its function is the destruction of something.  A steak knife or a tire iron cannot be used for any sort of accurate apples to apples comparison.

:orly: Care to modify your answer? 

Glorious.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »

Again, a gun's one sole purpose is to hurt, maim, kill, or otherwise injure someone or something.  Its function is the destruction of something.  A steak knife or a tire iron cannot be used for any sort of accurate apples to apples comparison.

I consider them linked. The knife was originally a killing tool. I'm not talking about crued stone tools for cutting that were then used to kill. I mean the first metal forged knives were a weapon. Today they are used for many non lethal things. Many knives are clearly not for eating food with, but some people like to collect them or throw them at things. Gun power was originally used for mass destruction and killing, but can be used to provide great entertainment through fireworks. Midevil weapons were some of the scariest killing devices ever. People today recreate them, hold get togethers, and shoot them for the hell of it.

I understand where you are coming from, and am not denying that guns are much easier to kill with than knives or gunpowder. However, just because they are more common does not defeat the underlying principle. A good friend of mine makes his own throwing stars and is scary accurate with them. He could stick one in your jugular from 100 feet away. He just likes them for display and throwing at balloons and what not. No one would have a problem with him doing this because it's looked upon as a hobby, not the wielding of a deadly weapon. In my mind, his throwing stars are no different than my guns. They are both deadly, neither of us use them for harm, we both get enjoyment out of their use, and we are SAFE.   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
My view is pretty simple.  I think assault weapons should not be permitted for rank and file citizens.  Law enforcement and military only.  In my opinion, no one outside of law enforcement or the military really needs an assault weapon like an AK47, and the more of these you put in circulation, the more likely they are going to end up in the wrong hands.

With that said, I having absolutely no problem whatsoever with responsible gun ownership.  But I think anyone purchasing one should pass the requisite checks (background / psychological) that everyone else is mentioning, PLUS, I think everyone who buys a handgun or rifle for the first time should be required to pass a gun safety / competency test before they can get their permit.

Other than that, if you want to own guns, have at it.

Personally, I prefer something closer to non-leathal home protection which is why I may or may not have a stun gun in my night stand.  ;)

I'm with this. Except for the assault rifle part. I think you should end up on a heavily monitored list if you own one. Mostly because I want to own authentic WWII weapons. Some of them are fully automatic weapons.

Barry, a buddy of mine has a shotgun that he sawed off the barrel on. He doesn't even have ammo for it. But, he keeps it for home defense. Someone has broken into his home and he merely pumped it and the guy left.  :lol

I hope he doesn't live in my state.  Here's the penal code for possession of a sawed off shotgun in Massachusetts:

(c) Whoever, except as provided by law, possesses a machine gun, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, without permission under section one hundred and thirty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty; or whoever owns, possesses or carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a sawed-off shotgun, as defined in said section one hundred and twenty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life, or for any term of years provided that any sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be subject to the minimum requirements of paragraph (a).

They rarely hand out the actual life sentences for them, but I know at least 3 guys doing multiple decades for getting caught with one (among other stuff)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
I was raised around guns.  I was taught how to respect, care for, clean, and fire guns at a young age.  My dad was in the military, and firearms continued to be a part of his life.  He had a shitload of guns.  He didn't hunt much; his guns were mostly for sport/target shooting, self-defense, collecting.  Most of them are now with my brother, who is really into them.  I don't shoot very often, but I have one or two at the home for self-defense reasons.  And I am a very good shot with most handguns.

I agree that the background screening should be extensive.  But other than that, go guns!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
I legitimately don't understand why people are afraid of guns.  Don't get me wrong, a gun in the hands of someone who might do something stupid is one of the scariest things in the world.  But otherwise it's a tool.  Statistically speaking, virtually everything else in the world is more dangerous than a gun when it comes to accident risk.  If you have a swimming pool in your back yard, you're putting your child in more danger.

And what's the point of background checks?  If someone is crazy enough and driven enough to shoot up a school, it's going to happen.  If I want to buy a handgun at Wal-Mart right now, I should be able to do it.  What reason do any of you have to restrict this process except to placate your fears in a manner that does nothing to actually make people safer?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again