Author Topic: Seriously Cool Pictures  (Read 58351 times)

Offline Spiritus

Re: Seriously Cool Pictures
« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2022, 02:48:16 PM »
Amazing pic. and damn weird as I had a totally awesome dream last night about Yellowstone. And visiting Yellowstone is still a dream of mine. Atleast Ive been to the other pic of yours. Bryce.  ;D

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #386 on: August 16, 2022, 10:06:38 AM »
Amazing pic. and damn weird as I had a totally awesome dream last night about Yellowstone. And visiting Yellowstone is still a dream of mine. Atleast Ive been to the other pic of yours. Bryce.  ;D

Thanks, and sorry to everyone for the double post. I modified some of the words in the original post, and thought it was just going to save it there.

Yes, Yellowstone. Wow....you have been dreaming about it! I think it will live up to the dream. The touristy areas are what they are (and are cool), but it's just the vibe of the entire area that makes it special. It is so large, SO rugged, and wild....despite being in a PARK Upon arrival, you are almost instaneously transformed into that state of mind (esp. if you go very early in the morning, before most get there). There are bison throughout, but the Lamar Valley has big herds. The steam from the water in almost every part of the Park provides an otherworldly feel.

Spend several days if you can...and explore every nook and cranny. And, as an added bonus....take a drive over Beartooth Pass, just over the border to Montana from Yellowstone. I think the most beautiful (PAVED) drive in the lower 48.... from a GRAND VISTA standpoint (with VERY honorable mention to Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, and Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park). In summer it is carpeted with wildflowers, and unlike the other two roads I mentioned....not crowded.

If you are planning to go this year, call ahead about access restrictions/construction. They had devastating floods several weeks ago, and there was signficant damage to roads, etc. There's a video on YT that has some live footage of the carnage....akin to an  over the top Hollywood movie...but all so real, unfortunately.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: August 16, 2022, 12:56:41 PM »
We spent 3 days in Yellowstone and feel like we didn't get to see everything we wanted. I could see spending a whole week there. Also - if you can make it south to Grand Teton National Park, I HIGHLY recommend it. Even if you just drive for the views, it is BEAUTIFUL. I actually want to go back and spend a week there also.

« Reply #388 on: August 17, 2022, 05:14:28 AM »
Also - if you can make it south to Grand Teton National Park, I HIGHLY recommend it. Even if you just drive for the views, it is BEAUTIFUL. I actually want to go back and spend a week there also.

Echo that! They are just a few miles apart, so I think most people experience both Parks in the same trip. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2023, 05:46:37 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online faizoff

« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2023, 05:53:51 AM »
That is seriously cool, it's like the clouds are taking a dump.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2023, 10:19:00 AM »
:lol

Actually it's kinda the opposite.  A waterspout is when water is sucked up into the clouds.  I think it's the same kind of forces that create tornados.

« Reply #392 on: August 15, 2023, 04:58:18 PM »
From a recent trip to the Pacific Northwest. I took this photo west of Sisters, Oregon (smoke from a fire near Klamath Falls) near the summit of McKenzie Pass (where most of the trees had burned from a fire a few years prior)....and just hours before going to the "Guitars Under the Stars" music festival in Lebanon (I got to see Travis Larson, Points North, and Greg Howe all on the same night). The rock in the foreground is volcanic. Post processing included the B&W conversion, HDR filter application, and minor level adjustments. Otherwise, no photoshopping....this was the scene as it appeared that day. I thought it was, ironically....a "cool" enough photo to post here. Clicking will show full size, but will take you to my photo page on Flickr (and then click one more time on the photo there). I have a couple others later. 

McKenzie Pass fire torn conversion (HDR) by Mark Curtis, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 04:08:15 PM by crazy climber dude »

Offline coz

« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2023, 04:45:15 PM »
That IS a seriously cool picture!  Thanks Mark.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
That IS a seriously cool picture!  Thanks Mark.

Thanks, man. And you're welcome.

« Reply #395 on: August 19, 2023, 09:28:45 AM »
From the same trip as the last B&W conversion photo I posted a few days ago...moss covered ponderosa pine tree roots strangling an old ponderosa log. A testimony of resolve by a living thing, and a sight to behold in person. This is along the incredibly beautiful and rugged Clackamas River in Oregon. Massive tree roots strangle an old log along the Clackamas River, Oregon by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Online pg1067

« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2023, 04:37:07 PM »
Not of the caliber of most of the photos in this thread, but I really like how this one came out - from my recent whale watching trip out of Kennebunkport, ME.  This is the Boon Island Lighthouse:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2023, 04:20:57 PM »
From a recent fall colors trip in Colorado. Hellborg/Lane fans will appreciate the title.

The power of reflection near Gore Pass by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2023, 03:10:56 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2024, 10:44:58 AM »

That is VERY cool! Sorry I missed this earlier.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #402 on: January 08, 2024, 11:03:43 AM »
This looks like one of the pictures that, if you stand back a ways, it looks like a face.  I can kinda see one, but I don't know if it's my brain "expecting" there to be one, or if it's just a picture of some plants.

Oh fuck, I just saw the face for sure, and it freaked me out a little!

« Reply #403 on: January 09, 2024, 02:32:38 PM »
This looks like one of the pictures that, if you stand back a ways, it looks like a face.  I can kinda see one, but I don't know if it's my brain "expecting" there to be one, or if it's just a picture of some plants.

Oh fuck, I just saw the face for sure, and it freaked me out a little!

It reminds me of the Metropolis Part 2 cover.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #404 on: January 09, 2024, 02:41:13 PM »
It's Robert Plant. Like, seriously.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2024, 02:42:48 PM »
Is that a real photo or an AI thing?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #406 on: January 09, 2024, 02:46:25 PM »
Is that a real photo or an AI thing?
It's gotta be some sort of CGI, whether AI or just plain ole I.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: January 09, 2024, 02:53:54 PM »
I don't know the name of that type of images, but all the ones I've seen are CGI. Cool though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: January 11, 2024, 02:52:36 PM »

That is VERY cool! Sorry I missed this earlier.

Is that Bob Marley? Looks like his face from the cover of his Legend (best of) album.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #409 on: January 11, 2024, 02:56:40 PM »
Looks like Robert Plant to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: January 11, 2024, 03:02:08 PM »

I guess I should have seriously taken El Barto, seriously  :lol But I don't know the picture of Robert Plant it comes from well enough I guess.  It still looks like Bob Marley to me.  Even the hand and eyes.  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #411 on: January 11, 2024, 03:09:11 PM »
I don't know if it's from a specific picture or not. It just looks like him. And it's made of Plants.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #412 on: January 11, 2024, 10:25:49 PM »
If you do a picture of a plant that looks like a person, Robert Plant is the obvious choice.

Now if you do a picture of some weed plants ...  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2024, 06:18:33 AM »
If you do a picture of a plant that looks like a person, Robert Plant is the obvious choice.

Or Kate Bush.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2024, 08:47:07 AM »

I'll allow it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2024, 08:58:06 AM »

Or Kate Bush.

Must ... resist ... making a joke about Kate's bush.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #416 on: January 12, 2024, 09:01:52 AM »

Or Kate Bush.

Must ... resist ... making a joke about Kate's bush.  :D