Author Topic: Ipod Help  (Read 1042 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Ipod Help
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »
Last night, my Ipod fell out of my jacket pocket and somehow landed in the toilet. I quickly got it out, and dried it off. The screen's color turned negative, but it still worked. Today, it's not working, and it makes a weird clicking noise. I think it' done, for good. I got it about 2 and a half months ago, so the 1 year warranty is still valid. I also have the reciept, from when I bought it at Walmart. Should I try sending it to Apple, or take it to Walmart? Also, I sure hope the warranty covers this.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: Ipod Help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:07 PM »
Just about any warranty on any device will NOT cover water damage unless you purchased some sort of extended protection that explicitly covers it. That said, it sounds as if you flooded the hard drive. If it's an iPod Classic, I'd say you're fucked because the clicking noise you hear is likely the hard drive mechanism failing to operate properly. If it is an iPod Touch, you could try plugging it into your computer and running disk maintenance on it to see if there is some sort of way to get the drive to be recognized and functioning. You're probably SOL, though. Water damage is pretty much a dead device in terms of warranties.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
It's an ipod classic. Damn, well thanks for your help. :-\

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:14:57 PM »
You can always try to take it back, especially if you have the original packaging. The worst that could happen is they refuse to take it back.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
Yeah, i have everything. It's worth a shot.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
This isn't really ethical, but since it's Wal*mart, I have something less of a problem with it.

Take it back to them and play dumb.  Tell them that it just stopped working one day, it's only a few months old, you have your receipt, and you're pissed.  They'll probably exchange it or refund you, no questions asked.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
Might work actually.

A couple of times, I knocked over my Xbox (it wasn't in its usually place) and it tore up the discs. I just took them back to the shop and said they were like that when I got it. Got them replaced.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
Any luck returning it yet?

If they won't do that, then the next step would be sending it to Apple I suppose. But try returning it first.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
Any luck returning it yet?

I tried, but they wouldn't take it  :-\

Now the thing won't even turn on. I'm just going to have to get a new one.

I sure wish it had been my phone instead. I use my Ipod all the time. :(

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Water is the death of electronics. There are sensing labels inside most devices that change color when submerged, letting people know when they've sustained water damage.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that, and it sucks Wal-Mart didn't take it back.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Water is the death of electronics.

And magnets.  Got a little too close to a 11.7 Tesla (that's an incredibly strong one) magnet once, wiped my iPod touch clean.

Sorry for your loss, but I would have been stunned if they would have taken it back.

Strangely, I've had 3 phones survive the washing machine and still work, and one of those survived the washing machine and 20 minutes in the dryer.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:38 AM »
You could see if a third party repair shop could help.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
We should make this an iHelp thread, as the main apple thread seems more about news and predictions about up coming releases.

I'm having a devil of a time with my phones.(wife's) Because iTunes won't let us "manually manage our music" without completely wiping the phones clean. I get the warning that a device can only have one iTunes profile, and because my old pc crashed, new re-installed itunes won't really talk to my phone. I was using "autofill" to get stuff on my phone but now that has stopped working. 

I assume that iTunes will back up my phone before wiping it clean, I'm just scared shitless to do it. I know alot of my game saves are saved in Game Center...still......(trembles)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.