Author Topic: Dream Theater inspired prog metal from Pakistan!  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Chaosphere84

Dream Theater inspired prog metal from Pakistan!
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Hello people! So I've got my own prog metal band called 'Odyssey' here in Pakistan and of course Dream Theater has and always will be a HUGE inspiration.

Here is one of the tracks from our second album. Check it out, any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhsia-AESL8

Offline Dillster22

Re: Dream Theater inspired prog metal from Pakistan!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:32 AM »
That song was actually very good, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The vocalist has a lot of potential I think and is already quite good. The production quality is also very nice. The instrumental sections were on par with many great current progressive bands in my opinion, and each band member is clearly very skilled at their instruments. I could definitely see myself listening to, and enjoying, this album. Keep up the good work!

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
Yea man!  Very cool stuff... I'm loving the bass playing!  What other bands are you guys into???

Offline Chaosphere84

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:04:16 AM »
Thanks for the great feedback guys! Much appreciated.

We love prog bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Liquid Tension Experiment, Ark, Savatage, Deep Purple as well as some of the older classic bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Pantera. And also some eastern classical music from our country like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan etc.

By the way, the entire album is up for FREE streaming at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL124639653018BEC8&feature=mh_lolz

Check it out and do let me know what you thought of it!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »
I like the three songs I pulled up of yours, but I guess the one thing I would have liked to have heard more of was an Eastern (or local) influence because I didn't really hear it in the songs I listened to (I forget which ones they were, two from the new album and one from the first).  Lots of bands sound like Dream Theater, SyX, Metallica...and most of them don't really take off.  Orphaned Land and Myrath have a nice little niche carved out by fusing metal with their own heritage and frankly I love it.  They are original and a new take on metal.  When I want to listen to bands like Orphaned Land, I don't really have many choices; where as when I want the Dream Theater sound, I usually reach for Dream Theater.

You just have something that most bands can't tap into and I guess I'd like to see you integrate that into your sound more.  In short, I want something that is more "Pakistani Metal", and not "Metal from Pakistan".  Just my two cents...I think you had a lot of good ideas musically and could benefit from better recording/production, but the talent is in place.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback guys! Much appreciated.

We love prog bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Liquid Tension Experiment, Ark, Savatage, Deep Purple as well as some of the older classic bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Pantera. And also some eastern classical music from our country like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan etc.

By the way, the entire album is up for FREE streaming at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL124639653018BEC8&feature=mh_lolz

Check it out and do let me know what you thought of it!

That is an awesome list of influences man!  I love DT, SX, AIC, Metallica, Megadeth, etc... as well!

And I checked a bunch more of the tracks... sounding GREAT!   :)

Offline Chaosphere84

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
I like the three songs I pulled up of yours, but I guess the one thing I would have liked to have heard more of was an Eastern (or local) influence because I didn't really hear it in the songs I listened to (I forget which ones they were, two from the new album and one from the first).  Lots of bands sound like Dream Theater, SyX, Metallica...and most of them don't really take off.  Orphaned Land and Myrath have a nice little niche carved out by fusing metal with their own heritage and frankly I love it.  They are original and a new take on metal.  When I want to listen to bands like Orphaned Land, I don't really have many choices; where as when I want the Dream Theater sound, I usually reach for Dream Theater.

You just have something that most bands can't tap into and I guess I'd like to see you integrate that into your sound more.  In short, I want something that is more "Pakistani Metal", and not "Metal from Pakistan".  Just my two cents...I think you had a lot of good ideas musically and could benefit from better recording/production, but the talent is in place.

I appreciate the feedback man. I think one of the major reasons is because we've grown up listening to such a lot of prog and metal music from the West that invariably that sort of creeps in to our style.

However there is one song we have which I think fits the description of what you were trying to say. It has that Eastern sound to it. Here it is, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LdyGarFa70

Also, our first album had more eastern sounding songs and even an entire eastern classical vocal section in one of the songs, I'll upload that to YouTube as well soon. The Eastern influences are there, but used a little sparingly especially in our second album since we didn't want to repeat ourselves.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:19:35 PM by Chaosphere84 »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »

^ That was good.  Real good.  What is the availability of your albums, physical and/or digital?  I've only seen songs on youtube, a single song download from your reverbnation page, and individual songs from your facebook page (which I joined by "liking").

Offline Chaosphere84

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »

^ That was good.  Real good.  What is the availability of your albums, physical and/or digital?  I've only seen songs on youtube, a single song download from your reverbnation page, and individual songs from your facebook page (which I joined by "liking").

Thanks!

The first album is available with us in physical format (as a digipak with a 12 page booklet) as well as digital. The second album is available only in digital format (but in high quality). You can download all our songs from the 'Band Page' app on our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/odysseypk/app_178091127385

I've uploaded another song of ours on our YouTube channel called Devolution which is a mix of Eastern and Western elements. If you like the eastern classical vocal stuff then do check out the part at 6:45 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJKhCqR8lU0

And thanks again for listening and for the appreciation!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
Great stuff man. Downloading some songs off your facebook page now!

I also really like metal bands with Eastern influences (e.g, Orphaned Land), and "Swansong" is REALLY good.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!

Offline Chaosphere84

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:17:41 AM »
Thanks for the appreciation guys  :biggrin:

We also did a song in our local language of Urdu which you guys may find interesting. Our ex-bass player (who left for Berklee a few months back) showed his Berklee pals this song and they liked it quite a bit, which we really didn't expect since it's not in English. I'd really like to hear what you guys think of it. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1MY9DCV34Y&feature=youtu.be

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
Thanks for the appreciation guys  :biggrin:

We also did a song in our local language of Urdu which you guys may find interesting. Our ex-bass player (who left for Berklee a few months back) showed his Berklee pals this song and they liked it quite a bit, which we really didn't expect since it's not in English. I'd really like to hear what you guys think of it. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1MY9DCV34Y&feature=youtu.be
Sounds good too! I personally don't really mind if a song is in a language that I don't understand, the only minor disappointment is that I can't understand what the song is about then.