Author Topic: Classic game show/quiz show thread(must have debuted before 1995)  (Read 4805 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Classic game show/quiz show thread(must have debuted before 1995)
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
What was that Nickelodeon game show where the contestants went "into" a video game, and became the character?  I thought that was pretty cool until i realized that it looked like the contestants couldnt actually see the game environment, and were probably watching themselves on another screen.  It lost its cool factor pretty quick for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
Seeing as how many of us here are both music fans and old enough to remember when MTV was awesome, how has Remote Control not been mentioned yet?

Nice to see mentions of Tic-Tac-Dough and Joker's Wild, I totally remember watching those. Seems like I used to watch a lot growing up. Looking back, I am not sure why. They seem so cheesy and ridiculous now. The only one I ever remotely watch these days is Jeopardy. Are there even many game shows on now, or have they given way to the 'reality' competition show? 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »
I grew up on game shows, I liked them more than Sesame Street and other PBS shows because game shows they had bigger numbers, and I loved math and science when I was young.  Didn't know the trivia parts for jack when I was young, but I remember all kinds of shows.  TPIR, Tic Tac Dough, Card Sharks, Sale of the Century, The various incarnations of $X Pyramid, Blockbusters, and what kid didn't love Press Your Luck.

Now, I'll occasionally watch Jeopardy and reruns of Match Game.  I've been somewhat soured on Jeopardy ever since I essentially won the Roanoke tryout a few years ago but was named the alternate in favor of a minority single mom with a sob story.  Reverse discrimination against a fairly non-photogenic white male I tell ya.

Right there with ya bud.  Big bucks, no whammies!

This one was pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VolSAGvSY
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
Seeing as how many of us here are both music fans and old enough to remember when MTV was awesome, how has Remote Control not been mentioned yet?

Kenny wasn't like the other kids
TV mattered; nothing else did

Good call!  I loved that show.  A demented version of Jeopardy! with (mostly) music-based questions.  Also, Kari.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »

Kenny wasn't like the other kids
TV mattered; nothing else did

Good call!  I loved that show.  A demented version of Jeopardy! with (mostly) music-based questions.  Also, Kari.

Oh yeah...forgot about that one.  Adam Sandler's career jump-starter.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
I loved when they had to put their snack bowl on top their heads as snacks rained down from above so they'd have shit to munch on during the 2nd round.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:26 AM »
Price is Right was my favorite as a kid, and still is. I remember watching it every day during vacations off from school.
My grandparents got me into Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. I enjoy Family Feud, too. Not sure what else...

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 11:24:27 AM »
I don't know how the big American studios let this one slip through their fingers.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »
Joker's Wild
Treasure Hunt
Match Game
Tic Tac Dough

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »
The game show is classic, though this incident is pretty recent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo
How was that not a valid answer?  Normally if you come up with an answer that's correct, though not necessarily the one they're looking for, they'll give it to you anyway.  The judges should have given that to him.
Because the correct answer can't be slang.

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
The game show is classic, though this incident is pretty recent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo
How was that not a valid answer?  Normally if you come up with an answer that's correct, though not necessarily the one they're looking for, they'll give it to you anyway.  The judges should have given that to him.

And because a hoe and a rake are two different tools entirely?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »

And because a hoe and a rake are two different tools entirely?
Why would that matter? The "answer" was talking about to a term that could refer to a libertine woman and a long gardening tool. Rake is a correct answer and *if* libertine-type woman were a standard meaning for hoe, it would be correct also. You can have 2 right answers that are different. He was wrong because that meaning is slang. He was simply trolling the show.

• DT.net Member
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:21:03 AM by black_floyd »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
Match Game FTW.  I thought it was funny even though I didn't get the jokes when I was a kid, but I definitely get them now. :laugh:   Brett Somers was SUCH a hoot, same with Gene and Charles Nelson Reilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2_6nwoiU1k&feature=related

:rollin See, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

The only recent game show that even comes close to Match Game IMO was Win Ben Stein's Money.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
Anything trivia related.  Jeopardy remains king.

Oh, and old school Price is Right with those women.  Yeah.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:32 PM »
Wheel of Fortune from 1980

A few interesting differences:

Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford instead of Pat Sajak and Vanna White.

A jank-ass "$100" space.

Much more modest prizes since I guess the show wasn't yet a proven hit and thusly was working on a tighter budget.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
"And now, let's give a warm welcome to Susan's ass!"

Chuck Woolery looked pretty stoned to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
I should say that I was watching RERUNS of Match Game in my childhood.

This show was on TV when I was around 10 to 12 years old, maybe a bit younger. Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are from watching it with my grandfather, who never missed an episode.

One of the great original game shows on TV that I watched mostly as re-runs was "What's My Line?"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
^Goddamn! I knew she was hot in her time, but Liz Taylor was apparently finer than a motherfucker :drool:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
Oh, yeah, in her prime she was probably in the top 10 most beautiful women of all time.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 02:36:19 AM »
"What's My Line?"

Holy WOW--Elizabeth was SO beautiful back in those days.