Author Topic: Classic game show/quiz show thread(must have debuted before 1995)  (Read 4806 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I have fond memories of growing up with Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Family Feud, $64,000 Pyramid (thanks to reruns on USA network), Password, Jeopardy, and Supermarket Sweep. Let's talk about our favorite ones and perhaps post funny or cool moments from them. This one is a true classic.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:23:48 PM by Flick »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Obligatory...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XM5hbS7GlU

I loved game shows, Price is Right was my favorite.  Bob Barker was such a fucking pimp in his day.  And Holly,  many a sock was stained in her honor.

• DT.net Member
So true :rollin

My brother nearly had tears in his eyes from laughter when he first showed that to me many years ago.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
It was a running joke in a restaurant I used to work at....

"So what's tonight looking like?"

"Looks like it's gonna be in the ass Bob."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
I still watch Jeopardy.
I hate Wheel of Fortune, simply because I'm not good at it.

My favs from days past to watch are Match Game (all versions), Family Feud, Hollywood Squares(all versions)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

• DT.net Member
Brett Somers is fuckin money on Match Game. Never at a loss for words.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
I love game shows! I can't think of any funny moments currently though... will dig deep!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
Press Your Luck was one of my favorites.  There was a scrabble game show that I also liked.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I actually have two close acquaintances who've appeared on Wheel of Fortune.  My boss of 20 years won whatever the audition process is and flew out to Cali to appear.  He was competent for most of it, going into the final round slightly ahead of the other two.  He racked up a ton of money in that final round, and then blew it embarrassingly.  His wrong guess gave the guy next to him the actual answer, who promptly spun 5k, got 3 K's out of it and won the whole thing.  I still fuck with him about it from time to time.

The other's a member of my FFL, who appeared when they were filming at the State Fair.  He went on and acted like the most arrogant som'bitch you've ever seen.  First thing he said was "my name is so-and-so, and I'm really nervous about how I'm going to fight off all the women once I win all the prize money you've got!"  He backed it up by winning all the prize money they had.  Brought home something like 30k, and Audi A4 and a trip to the Caribbean.  He actually ran a victory lap around the studio at one point, stopping to hug Vanna White (which is expressly against the "keep away from Vanna" rule that they all have to agree to). 

Edit:  Here's the puzzle my boss choked on:

D _ _ _
_ L A R _
_ E N T

Before and After
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:38:17 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
He missed that, ouch!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
My favorite has always been Jeopardy!
Original version, answers and questions, no audio or video silliness.
You get it right, you get cash; you get it wrong, they take it away.
Whoever ends up with the most gets to keep it.  Losers = weepers.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
He missed that, ouch!!!
He went with Dave instead of Dick (despite the A already being on the board  :lol).  The guy next to him got the C's and K's and cleaned house.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
We were watching Wheel of Fortune years ago, before they gave you any letters for free, and the final puzzle was:

_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _

The category was "Celebrity" and the contestant got no letters at all, so it was all blanks.  My buddy John says "Roger Moore" because it was the only name he could think of that was five letters and five letters.  Vanna turned the letters around, and he was right!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Classic game show/quiz show thread(must have debuted before 1995)
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »
In the future you'll get a quicker response by reporting a random post and asking for it to be moved. ;)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
I thought about it but then realized Rich was the only mod available at that time and, since he's helped me out with numerous thread locks/subforum moves already, I figured I'd let it all be a part of God's plan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »
Family Feud was always great.  And we owned the board game of it when I was kid, so we would often play it at home.  Good stuff.

And of course The Price Is Right.  You have to love any game show that encourages contestants to jump up and down like crazy people.  :lol :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »
Family Feud was always great.  And we owned the board game of it when I was kid, so we would often play it at home.  Good stuff.

And of course The Price Is Right.  You have to love any game show that encourages contestants to jump up and down like crazy people.  :lol :lol

Yes. Yes, you do.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
Match Game

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:42 PM »
Match Game

Charles Nelson Reilly only to be topped (No I don't mean that! :lol) by Paul Lynde.

How about The Joker's Wild?! or Card Sharks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
I used to love The Joker's Wild.  I'm not even sure why, but it seemed like such a cool game.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
The Crystal Maze > All.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Game shows today are bogus. At least the ones I see on.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »

Seriously.  Even shows that I actually like, such as "Who Wants to be Millionaire?" spend so much time on building the tension, asking if that's your final answer, dragging it out, that they get through like 10 questions in the entire show.  That's why I like "Jeopardy!"  Boom-boom-boom, 30 questions in 10 minutes sometimes, if they clear the board.  No stupid gimmicks or calling your friends.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »

I'll take the physical challenge !!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
The game show is classic, though this incident is pretty recent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
I never really watched these shows much at all, but Hollywood Squares reminds me of my childhood for some reason because whenever I would be playing in the living room in the evening it was usually on TV.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
I grew up with Wheel of Fortune (my favorite) and Family Feud...Super Market Sweep and Shop Till You Drop... Great shows.  :tup

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »

Seriously.  Even shows that I actually like, such as "Who Wants to be Millionaire?" spend so much time on building the tension, asking if that's your final answer, dragging it out, that they get through like 10 questions in the entire show.  That's why I like "Jeopardy!"  Boom-boom-boom, 30 questions in 10 minutes sometimes, if they clear the board.  No stupid gimmicks or calling your friends.

Could not agree more. It's nauseating how much more forgiving our society is toward crappy programming and condescending clichés than it was a good 20 years ago.

I'll take the physical challenge !!!

I don't know if you win the thread, but you damn sure ain't losing with this. I'm actually pissed at myself for missing it in the OP since I like it hands down better than any of the others. On a funny sidenote, one of my regulars at the restaurant is a dude named Marc Summers and he revels in the coincidence because he's an awesome and nice dude.

I remember seeing that a while back. Brilliantly loaded question by the show's writers imo.

I grew up with Wheel of Fortune (my favorite) and Family Feud...Super Market Sweep and Shop Till You Drop... Great shows.  :tup

I forgot about Shop til You Drop. I think it was exclusive to USA Network or something and I used to watch that along with Supermarket Sweep and Bumper Stumpers in the afternoon when I was little.

USA, in general, always had a pretty good lineup of game show reruns when I was a kid. Press Your Luck was great too and had one of the biggest game show scandals ever when this one dude, Michael Larson, used this magnificent, brand new device called a videocassette recorder to figure out that there were only a small handful of patterns utilized for what the show considered a random sequence for where this cursor would jump around the game board between various cash values, prizes, and Whammies (like a "Bankrupt" in Wheel of Fortune) and he totally bent the show over for a good $100K.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »
How was that not a valid answer?  Normally if you come up with an answer that's correct, though not necessarily the one they're looking for, they'll give it to you anyway.  The judges should have given that to him.

On a side note, how awful would it be to actually get a callback to appear on the show, and get stuck being fodder during Ken Jenning's reign of terror. Aimee and Al certainly didn't look too happy.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »
I should say that I was watching RERUNS of Match Game in my childhood.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
I watch reruns of Match Game sometimes now.  Game Show Network.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
I grew up on game shows, I liked them more than Sesame Street and other PBS shows because game shows they had bigger numbers, and I loved math and science when I was young.  Didn't know the trivia parts for jack when I was young, but I remember all kinds of shows.  TPIR, Tic Tac Dough, Card Sharks, Sale of the Century, The various incarnations of $X Pyramid, Blockbusters, and what kid didn't love Press Your Luck.

Now, I'll occasionally watch Jeopardy and reruns of Match Game.  I've been somewhat soured on Jeopardy ever since I essentially won the Roanoke tryout a few years ago but was named the alternate in favor of a minority single mom with a sob story.  Reverse discrimination against a fairly non-photogenic white male I tell ya.