Author Topic: The forgotten "other" solo  (Read 1553 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The forgotten "other" solo
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
This happens quite a bit, where a song features multiple solos, one of which is so great and legendary that the other solo(s) are almost forgotten or never talked about, and sometimes those other solos are arguably as great, or close to it anyway.  The one that always comes to mind for me:

Comfortably Numb (the first solo) - The solo at the end is quite possibly the great guitar solo ever, but that first solo is not far behind.  In fact, there are times where I actually prefer that first solo.  And yet because of the legendary status of the second solo, which is well-deserved, it seems like no one ever talks about the first solo.

Anyone other examples?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The forgotten "other" solo
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:57:41 AM »
Boy this is a good one.  I'll have to think about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
"Powerslave" by Iron Maiden came to mind.  Both solos are great, but I think the first solo (which is Murray's, I believe) trumps the second so bad that I usually forget about the second one.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
I think everybody raves on a bit too much about the opening shredding in The Glass Prison, when it's the solo section later that always blows me away.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
This is going to be hard since the best example is already in the OP.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
This is going to be hard since the best example is already in the OP.  :lol

That too.  After I saw Kev's OP I was stumped for a little bit.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
The one that gets the glory

The forgotten one

I was actually thinking of Metallica's run of ballads that ended in a long, fast instrumental section myself. The problem I was having is that none of the early solos in Fade to Black, Welcome Home, or One are, to me at least, particularly memorable. But I do agree that with those songs, everyone remembers the end of the song and not the others.

Oh, I got one! Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits. The end solo is fantastic, but the one in the middle is pretty good too, but I hardly ever remember it when I think about that song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
Kid Charlemagne.  The first solo is classic, but outro is cool too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
Comfortably Numb (the first solo) - The solo at the end is quite possibly the great guitar solo ever, but that first solo is not far behind.  In fact, there are times where I actually prefer that first solo.  And yet because of the legendary status of the second solo, which is well-deserved, it seems like no one ever talks about the first solo.

I've always loved how the first solo is over the major progression ("there is no pain, you are receding...") but the second solo is over the minor progression (the verse).  Great contrast, and yes, that first solo is beautiful.  Gilmour's tone, as always, is perfect.

Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits. The end solo is fantastic, but the one in the middle is pretty good too, but I hardly ever remember it when I think about that song.

Sultans of Swing is the same.  The first solo is short and sweet, but very tasty.  The one on the way out is brilliant.  Whenever I catch it on the radio, I hope to hell that they let it play all the way out, because it comes back to the hook just as it fades completely out.  Too often, they cut it off and I have to get angry for a while.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
I think the 17th solo in Hangar 18 is the best, but the 12th always gets the most love.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
I think the 17th solo in Hangar 18 is the best, but the 12th always gets the most love.
There's only 9 solos in Hangar 18, silly.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »

:lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline darkshade

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »
I can think of a couple of Dream Theater songs like this.

A Nightmare to Remember: the first 5/8 solo early in the song is a wild solo that is never mentioned because of the wank-fest that happens after the "Beautiful Agony" section.

The keyboard AND guitar solos in The Great Debate

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »
Really? I thought no one wanted to talk about the solos after ''Beautiful Agony'' because they were so awful.

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
Kevin Moore's solo in Under a Glass Moon.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 07:03:14 AM »

A Nightmare to Remember: the first 5/8 solo early in the song is a wild solo that is never mentioned because of the wank-fest that happens after the "Beautiful Agony" section.

The solos after the "Beautiful Agony" section kill the song. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »

The solos after the "Beautiful Agony" section kill the song. 

I won't argue this, because I agree, but no one talks about the solo from earlier in the song. There should have been a better transition

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »

I've always loved how the first solo is over the major progression ("there is no pain, you are receding...") but the second solo is over the minor progression (the verse). Great contrast, and yes, that first solo is beautiful.  Gilmour's tone, as always, is perfect.

Ya know, I've never really thought of that, despite having listened to the song probably 1,000 times.  Good mention! :tup :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
Hope I inderstand the op.
For me  it is Yngwie's outro solo on Suffer Me that upstages the main solo. More passion, fire and spontaneity for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Hope I inderstand the op.
For me  it is Yngwie's outro solo on Suffer Me that upstages the main solo. More passion, fire and spontaneity for me.

Michael Schenker also has a way of doing this. His outros are incredible. I love his second album..the outros on Looking For Love and On And On  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol