Author Topic: Just bought a capo  (Read 1059 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Just bought a capo
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
I used to work in a guitar shop, and trigger capos were about $18, so I never bothered. There are a few songs I want to learn that pretty much require one, so I checked them out on Ebay and found them a LOT cheaper.
If you're looking for one, I'd go there and get one, because mine cost me under $3 after shipping.
I don't understand how they are making any money at all, because it came from Hong Kong, and you'd think shipping anything from there to here would cost more than that.
Seems to be every bit as good quality as the Dunlop I used to sell too.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just bought a capo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
Ive got two of the clamp on ones.  i rarely use one except for when playing acoustic. Its easier to play power chords on electic than use one.

But for playing on acoustic to songs like Wonderwall or If I Had A Gun... they're pretty much essential or else it would be all barre chords.

They can be massively overused though..The amount of times ive been to an open mic night and someone literally plays Em , G, D and Cadd9 for every song just with the capo on a different fret is ridiculous.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
The songs I wanted it for are The Gardener by Tallest Man on Earth, which was much simpler than it sounded, and Which Way the  Wind Blows by Anthony Phillips. The latter is taking longer, and it's extremely hard...at least for me.
It's amazing what the capo will do for a guitar. And alternate tunings, I guess. I think the first people to figure all this stuff out were brilliant.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
It makes playing "Run to You" by Bryan Adams a whole lot easier.  However, my guitarist likes to use it a lot to change the key of songs when we're doing acoustic stuff.  I am NOT a fan of using it to change the song's original key.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
Run To You is actually tuned UP a whole tone !!!!  :omg:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
Not when I play it.  :lol  But yeah, that would make sense if you were recording it.  That would never make sense live.  I actually really enjoyed playing that one live.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:01 AM »
They can be massively overused though..The amount of times ive been to an open mic night and someone literally plays Em , G, D and Cadd9 for every song just with the capo on a different fret is ridiculous.

Yep. In slang people call those cowboy chords. I have nothing against those chords as they are but when an entire song or multiple songs are nothing but open chords with very little variation, I'm usually ready to smash their own guitar over their head. I've been to too many open mic nights where you can tell it's just some schmuck who has too many people around them that don't wanna hurt their feelings by letting them know their music sucks because it's bland and painfully one-dimensional. Eventually they figure they'll have a shot at stardom by being discovered in a manner similar to some "hometown hero" story they heard on one of those prefabricated "music" talent shows that are robbing the airwaves of time that could be better spent on Ronco infomercials.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
Noel Gallagher is a rare musician who can use the same chords in a different key and make two totally different songs.

Francis Healy. is not.

Offline Cable

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
I have two. I needed one with a screw to lock down for my 12 string... the standard trigger capo does not press down enough.

I do not gig, but I love having them. It is because with the 7 string, I can place it so I am in dropped tuning relevant to a down-tuned 6 string. It makes playing all of the step down tunings, or drop tunings much easier than retuning an entire 6 string. So I need to retune a string a two, drop on the capo and it is all set.

Same applies for my 6 string bass, although I need to use both capos to cover the neck.
---