Author Topic: an obscure roulette and chat thread/ R9 results! Guess what!  (Read 101164 times)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol :lol :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
It took him three hours to wake you, must have been one hell of a nudge. :eyebrows:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
he left a mess

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
oh my  :blush

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Mornin!

Sent my story and songs last night via email.  I'd PM you, but I'm still only on my first cup of coffee.   ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  ;)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
We gonna get some reviews today lady?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
definitely sir!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sweet.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sent for round 7!

Also Nem, just so you know, when you use that dark blue font, it's really hard to read on the Beneath the Surface theme which is also dark blue! That's always the danger with choosing the colour of a font, it won't change for people using different themes. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Morning everyone, or afternoon or whatever

When will we see results for round 6?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll stick with the black font then...unless people have better suggestions...  :tup

Posting the results NOW...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Red might work for a color.

Also, I'm kind of waiting on round 6 results before I send round 7.  While what I have in mind is in no way related to what I sent the previous round, I just don't want to waste time on something if I don't think you'll like it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
 :corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: an obscure roulette and chat thread...lol... R6 results are up!
« Reply #820 on: March 17, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
God, it seems it is not only the most complicated Roulette record but also the longest reviews in spite of the high number of players record I have J

You've sent awesome bands... Thank you guys very much, it's been the most profitable round...

Standings

YTSE-  6.2 + 2  Atreyu

This only impressed me the first time around but after a couple of days, I listened to it in a mixed list and got hooked up. Vocals, the general sound are very impressive...

Ytse got a hit again - I am impressed...
This is actually the 3rd metalcore band Ytse sent me (along with Bullet for My Valentine - Unearth). I also like Trivium and As I Lay Dying... So he kind of reinforced the idea that I might really dig this sub-genre...
Couple of years ago I was introduced to this band by a fellow classmate... but I didn't follow up...being brought to my attention by someone whose music taste gained my respect over the time changed it for me though... I paid more attention this time around... or it might be that he basically picked the right songs... or the way it was served did the trick... or the performance in the morning....  :P whatever the reason, this is something I'll definitely dig...

He sent me two songs...
Coffin Nails... It has the potential to tear you apart - vocals almost physically hurt and these combined is one of my favourite tastes from music - you know, the song tearing you apart. Each time the vocalist went 'there's something missing in my life,' I went butterflies in my tummy...

Black Days Begin, the second song, was in my subjective opinion, less impressive as a composition although I can't deny that the sound quality was on par with the former. I liked the Slayer-y guitars at around 2:20 :) Lyrics, at a cursory glance, gives you the impression that there is depth to it...

Jboy  6.1 + 2  Neonfly

Wow.. that was beautiful Chad! Long live Power Metal!
Ship With No Sails is a killer!
The Messenger starts with some tasty drumming... I actually should say the drums are beautiful throughout the song … I dig that a lot... 'The Messenger’ opens like a power ballad but builds to something more powerful...
Also, the vocals are great! He has a great  voice, with an impressive range. I don't know if you are sick of me finding resemblances between musicians all the time but his style, even his voice from time to time, I found to be very much like Jon Oliva's which is a "whoa!!!" factor in on itself!
They seem to be off to a great career me thinks... I’ll follow!

DTVT –  6.1 + 2   Tiles

DTVT, super quality sound… mm I know this voice… The vocalist sounded familiar… I was so sure a very brief google-fu would reveal where I knew the bloke from but it didn't happen... Nice, proggy vocal voice… Although this kind of makes you think that the voices of all these proggy vocals are converging into a common curve, since his voice speaks to my taste (definitely the type of voice I love), I'm not complaining. He reminded me of the taste I derive from Geddy Lee and Andy Kuntz from time to time... and the fact that Mason chose two songs from each album was taken into account… also his threat to unfriend :P
Honestly, I loved each and every song you sent…
What's with the guitars in Hide and Seek? That guitar riff is one of the catchiest I’ve heard recently! And the song is full of surprises as well. In the middle of the song, there was a point where I thought another song started... It seems, you not only found me a band I would like but also most probably my soon-to-be-favourite songs from that band!

Analysis Paralysis – jazzy bass base? Rockn roll guitars .. vocals… strange mix.. love it! It's very blues-y/jazz-y and catches me by surprise often.
Back&Forth’s rhythm section is very up-beat... the lyrics… I taste a little Dire Straits every now and then during the solos scattered around...
‘Tear water Tea’ was successful in tearing my soul apart – very emotional… and those strings, hurts you almost physically…

I love the band both for the guitars and the vocals... This became one of the best profits of this Roulette… Thanks!

Yorost –  6.2+3   Winds

WOW! Just WOW… Starting with Reasons Desire… From the first second I went "holy shit!" Very impressive intro, followed by a very early and impressive solo… It tells you to keep listening, promising great satisfaction... After the solo, the song drops down to a mild, soft string sedative... erm, solo, taming your metabolism gone wild at once... catches you by surprise… Then, it gets darker and darker slowly… Strings are dark and creepy as well this time with the demonic vocals shaking you… just brilliant!
I don't normally look for stuff like strings or the flute when it is metal. Or, better to say, I don't like their existence in metal. Although I respect them, Jethro Tull never did it for me for instance... but as it seems, this band used them so beautifully!

Being impressed with the first song, I move to the next... Beyond Fate... Piano makes me think that the darkness is over... but no...
So, minute 2:10, what the hey is happening there dude?

Third song is What is Beauty… This time the early mini solo does not take me by surprise... my expectations already went way up and I was expecting this one… Clearly, they don’t disappoint…when I’m half way through the song, though, the song takes me completely by surprise… As was revealed later on, Kael already have given the hints of these although since I do not want to form any opinion, negative or positive, beforehand, I first listen to the music and then read the stuff so the strings were a surprise for me as well...
The list goes on…
There is nothing I should change there … It is clear that I will be listening to this band for the times to come... I hope they keep composing!
Shame that they are studio only, I would have LOVED to see them live...
The fact that I enjoy this band a great deal, gives Yorost the top once again...
5 starmaterial

Nekov – 5. 7 Chickenfoot 

Satriani adds a lot to the picture... His mini solos between the verses, I always found them impressive... The guitar solo and the heavy riff are superb. For instance, Avenida Revolution, around 2:30... Awesome

Up Next- What an uplifting song...
If I had this band proposed to me 5 – 10 years ago, I would have given maximum points for it... This has a sound I used to love... I could see some occasional influences although not very obvious but apparent... Like Jimi Hendrix and John Lee Hooker maybe...Now, only because my taste has evolved and I am looking for other things this got the points it's got – for quality, it is 10 out of 10 of course.
Awesome musicianship!

I did not dig it this much the first time around but this time... I don't know, maybe I have started with the right song... I listened to a mixed playlist full of R6 submissions, in shuffle… When I hit Avenida Revoltion, I went "oooh, shiny" and started writing these... J
Drums and bass are very impressive... Vocals? Spot on! Very powerful sound… me likey!

Zantera – 5. 1  Mew

Judging by these two songs, this band wouldn't be able to fit the bill for my restless personality… Not to cause any misunderstanding, let me tell you from the get go, everything I am about to say are not directly related to the band but more of a self-criticism… I can't put up with soothing sounds... I get bored instantly looking for some heavy, some darkness... The port where I seek haven is the same whether I'm happy, sad, laughing, crying... Also, I think the band's sound carry more shogaze effect than progressive flair – this kind of keeps me from appreciating the band... Even then, since the instrumentation in the second half of “Comforting sounds “ is heavenly and because I kind of feel that it has more to it than I can appreciate now - as the real gems tend to take a little longer to get into – this band gets a 5.1

King – 6+2  I Mother Earth

I am sad that I just discovered this band... I would have been a die hard fan if I were to stumble upon them during high school... I'm saying that because their sound is closer to what I liked back then... Although, it is not an easy task to say what the sound or genre is with them... Seems like they have everything; awesome musicianship, love them! I have a sneaking feeling that I won't get enough of them...

Rich –6  Sinergy

I wrote the below after the first spin… but after giving it another one, I said…. hmmm there's more to it than that .... and the score went up from 5.3 to 6! and found similarities with Guano Apes.. which is nice!

In all honesty, I got very excited when I first started with the first song… I said "Yes! Rich found me another gem here" and it was very hard for me to assess. I simply couldn't decide... then I broke their work into two big chunks and it got easier… General sound, which is great and song-writing, which is relatively weak…

She definitely has balls… I love female-fronted metal bands… And that album opener is really beautiful… Although when you keep listening you have the impression that you are listening to the same song repeatedly over and over again.. Songs sound standardized, formatted: chorus-verse structure, weak melodies.... not enough emotion.

That pains me as I see a lot of potential in this band, they're not quite up to that territory yet cause the songs are still in the middle I think… But so close… They just need better songs… It’s sad to imagine what this band could have been…  They have an awesome sound overall but nothing strikes as special…. You know when there isn’t some good compositions, there isn’t much replay value.
They could be really outstanding with some special songs… Listened to the whole album, even though it is far from being a magnum opus, at least it rocks alright and it is pleasantly melodic! I will be watching them to catch whenever they come up with songs I would dig… that chick shouldn't be wasted man! Damn!

LOL, read what I wrote again and yes, I have repeated the same thing over and over again (the way the band feels... :P) But please look at it this way; mums would want their kids to be better and whip them to shape (did I say whip? Yeah, very PC :P  :obscure:) It is not because they don't love their children... Well, you get the idea...

Boy_floyd - Jimmie's Chicken Shack  6 +3

Man... I loved their sound! ... It's been a while since I listened to some good grunge... This band satisfied a desire I wasn't aware I had for a while… All of the songs are nice and all but one is really very impressive... Dropping Anchor (killer piece) started off with an oriental air... coming from a culture infused with the mystical east, of course I liked it... The half tones, same oriental air, are in the vocals as well... vocal style is especially impressive, with the catchy bridge of "I will not play my hand just yet" – every time he went “do” I went "wow"… Pure brilliance… The bass – that comes to the front from time to time - is very impressive as well... I was sold at the first song… I have to confess, while I was listening to the batches of songs, I returned to this song often… impeccable!
A similar tone can be found in the High guitars after 2:00! My second favourite.

Then When you Die You’re Dead (lol) started… Rather different sound this time. It too has a great beat… Smells a bit like Arctic Monkeys and the final minute reminds me a lot of.Rage Against The Machine’s Killing in the Name, especially the vocals. And I’m not complaining!  :) I really liked that part where repeats “Living increases knowledge”, passionate!
The socially responsible song Outhouse is pretty great too!

Lonestar-  6  Jadis

I understand why you like this bloke this much hun – I liked both songs… A nice proggy package from every single angle… quality stuff...nice melodies and wonderful guitar tones… Got a bit of an Alan Parson's vibe from time to time... Likey!
Wonderful World – around 2:00 is awesome… :tup
Seriously, I hold my breath with the guitars at around 7:00-8:30 in Holding your breath! Damn!

Elite 6+ 2  Sacrum 

Another band I'll be sure to dig a lot! A lot of elements I like brought together... Electronic and heaviness hand in hand... Heaven! Me likey! Whispering vocals are super sexy!

‘Keeping Me Alive’ pulls off an outstanding feat in all aspects... guitars vocals and lyrics…
The video is awesome… That's what I call a stage show man!
Sacrum – Quarantine

Webraider  6.3+3  Havok

Holy classic thrash revival Batman!!! Although I’ve been digging more modern sounds lately, there’s an oldschool-metal-head girl deep down… These guys, unleashed that girl… It wouldn’t be fair to say that all they are doing is oldschool classic thrash... They seem to have brought new elements... their own style to the table…
I listened to it Friday morning before going to work and wow... This made my life very hard!!! I was suddenly more interested in headbanging and rocking out than going to work… :lol  I haven't been able to listen to it a lot by the way – nevertheless, I am pretty sure that this band is going to satisfy my heavy-hungry soul! I checked out their videos and loved the furious, wild, dark stance!

Kari. 6 - Massive Attack

I am definitely no stranger to Massive Attack… However, you have shown me that the band I left untouched after a few songs (even though I like them a lot) still has so much to offer! Awesome sound! It is good to see that we have such a good common interest…  ;) and way to go finding that interest!
Damn man… I’m House MD geek and never known that it was Massive Attack.. and never checked out which I normally do.. thanks hun!

Once again... great job.. Thanks guys!

now my turn  :corn  :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:25:21 PM by obscure »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #821 on: March 17, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
Yes, slowly working my way up to mediocroty. :metal

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #823 on: March 17, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
31 points, yeah! Good you liked that :)
I still have to sent that round 5 review though, I will work on that shortly, it seems I have some time before I even send round 7. Again, I'm very sorry for the delay.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #824 on: March 17, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
Mediocrity Wins :P

Cute sweetie, very cute.  Well I know I'm taking it in round 7, but here's hoping my 5 star ballad brings it home for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Holding on to my slim lead, which I think will evaporate with my risky Round 7 submission (but I'm sticking with it).

You forgot to mention what Webraider and Zantera sent.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: March 17, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
Good band Elite.. won you so much money! looking forward to that review....

Ballads.. yeah... about that.. could you guys give me hand and let me know who sent their ballads.... you can even do better than that sen me the songs again :) it will be make life a lot easier.. Otherwise I'l have to go through hundreds of pages of Pms and e-mails.. thank you...

fixing that Chad.. thx...

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: March 17, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Damn... are you guys reading all that??  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: March 17, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Glad you liked it Nem  :laugh:. It took a little while for me to like this band but with some time it sinks in nicely

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #829 on: March 17, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »
No problem Nem, I'll re-send it when I get home tonight, otherwise known as morning to you. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: March 17, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
One could tell from your last.fm over the last couple of days that you're loving Havok.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
No problem Nem, I'll re-send it when I get home tonight, otherwise known as morning to you. :P

:)  :heart

One could tell from your last.fm over the last couple of days that you're loving Havok.

erm eh yes :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #832 on: March 17, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »

:)  :heart

:) :heart

(ok, enough of this silliness, back to teh roulette)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #833 on: March 17, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »
Bah. It feels like I do poorly no matter what I send.  :lol
I'm not mad at you or anything Nem, people have different music taste, and in our case (while we share a few bands) the rest is pretty different. Oh well, can't win at everything.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: March 17, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
us being silly
:lol

Bah. It feels like I do poorly no matter what I send.  :lol
I'm not mad at you or anything Nem, people have different music taste, and in our case (while we share a few bands) the rest is pretty different. Oh well, can't win at everything.

there you go!  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #835 on: March 17, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
Sent rounds 7 and 8...if you let me use my song for round 8.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: March 17, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »
that's perfectly fine... that first sentence of R7 made me chuckle :) .. that's something I'd say too.. :)

and best of luck with the defense!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #837 on: March 17, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
Woot!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #838 on: March 18, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »
tough round, round 7.
Very tough.
I have more bands she hasn't heard of along the same lines with what's been working but...maybe a little selfishness is in order.

I am "me" after all.

Sending now.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
A whole day and no posts on this thread? Is the world ending and someone forgot to tell me?  :P