Poll

What would you like to see in the next Dream Theater album?

More instrumental music.
66 (7.9%)
Shorter album.
17 (2%)
More positive, happy, and energetic-sounding music.
70 (8.4%)
An outside producer.
55 (6.6%)
More bass (solos, overall busyness, mix)
93 (11.2%)
A long epic.
114 (13.7%)
More metal.
34 (4.1%)
More prog.
92 (11.1%)
Mangini involved in songwriting.
144 (17.3%)
Older sound.
30 (3.6%)
Demo-ing of songs before entering studio.
55 (6.6%)
More high notes from JLB.
61 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Author Topic: Next Dream Theater Album: What Would You Like To See?  (Read 10992 times)

Offline Evo

Re: Next Dream Theater Album: What Would You Like To See?
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
"More positive, happy, and energetic-sounding music."

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
Less mainstream sounding attempts to get on the radio (ie- Build me up). They seem to put at least one of these on every album recently, and it's a huge fail every single time without exception. Most of the things on your list make sense and I'd like to see. Some are irrelevant though.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2012, 05:33:50 AM »
Less mainstream sounding attempts to get on the radio (ie- Build me up). They seem to put at least one of these on every album recently, and it's a huge fail every single time without exception. Most of the things on your list make sense and I'd like to see. Some are irrelevant though.

I must agree that when listening to aDToE I skip BMUBMD but I have to admit that it works great live, i don't think, that these are all attempts to get on the radio, BMUBMD has not even been released as a single, that makes me think, that it's intended to be a live song, otherwise a radio song would be usually released as first single.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »

I must agree that when listening to aDToE I skip BMUBMD but I have to admit that it works great live, i don't think, that these are all attempts to get on the radio, BMUBMD has not even been released as a single, that makes me think, that it's intended to be a live song, otherwise a radio song would be usually released as first single.

They ARE attempts to make mainstream, radio friendly songs. They are meant to appeal to a different group. There's no question about that. I don't think BMUBMD works great live. I think Bridges in the Sky works amazingly well live. And the reason why one works great live and the other doesn't, is because one song is bad and the other is amazing. What makes BIS great could have easily made BMUBMD a lot better if they didn't try very intentionally to make a that aforementioned type of song. I wish at the show they didn't play BMUBMD and instead played Lost Not Forgotten. Yeah it's better live than it is on the album, but that doesn't mean it's not a mainstream sounding metal song. I don't see

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
i would love a concept album but anything upbeat with a bit more writing imput from mike so they can use his skills to the upmost at the writing/concept stage oh and an outside producer would be a good thing as i think an outside perspective can help them to stay fresh and make the most of thier time in the studio to concentrate on writing and playing  :corn
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
They should get whoever produced Van Halens new album, that one is the best rock sounding album since the 90's ended. :tup

Offline johncal

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
I'd just like to see more of what we got on this album.... and a wee tad bit more drum volume. that's all I need :metal

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
I'd also like to have a real drum solo or bass solo. It doesn't have to be a guitar or keyboard solo every single time.

Offline johncal

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2012, 06:00:05 AM »
I'd like to see some of this kind of stuff worked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=zswvv9r5SPI