Poll

What would you like to see in the next Dream Theater album?

More instrumental music.
66 (7.9%)
Shorter album.
17 (2%)
More positive, happy, and energetic-sounding music.
70 (8.4%)
An outside producer.
55 (6.6%)
More bass (solos, overall busyness, mix)
93 (11.2%)
A long epic.
114 (13.7%)
More metal.
34 (4.1%)
More prog.
92 (11.1%)
Mangini involved in songwriting.
144 (17.3%)
Older sound.
30 (3.6%)
Demo-ing of songs before entering studio.
55 (6.6%)
More high notes from JLB.
61 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Author Topic: Next Dream Theater Album: What Would You Like To See?  (Read 10994 times)

Offline Mind Trail

Re: Next Dream Theater Album: What Would You Like To See?
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
30-40 Minutes is not exreme long for DT...  ;)

It will still be their second longest song. Oh well  ;D
"For thirty years where have I been..."

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »
More metal. Like Train of Thought. That album is loaded with heavy riffs. Go for it guys!
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
An outside producer

Not because I think John Petrucci is a bad producer, but because I think it's always a bad idea to have the same people who write the music producing it.  It's impossible to be objective about your own compositions.  Having some objective ears involved in the process would benefit Dream Theater, I think.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
None of these, actually. A Dramatic turn of events has a fair amount of everything listed.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
Personally, I like the direction they are heading. As long as they continue with Andy Wallace I'd probably be content.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
I think a long epic with some sections would be pretty good for me, like ACOS. Plus, some of JLB's high notes we need now!
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
train of thoughtesque metal-riff-heaviness to go along with their new proggy writing style displayed on a dramatic turn of events.

that album would be sick.

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
To hell with expectations. Dream Theater needs to do whatever feels like a sincere statement at the time being.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »
To hell with expectations. Dream Theater needs to do whatever feels like a sincere statement at the time being.

+1

Even though I would love to hear some form of long epic  and sum InStRuMeNtAlZ
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
I pretty much agree with this.
Overall, I've never been really disappointed with any DT release, so I feel I'll again be satisfied with their next effort if they keep doing their thing.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »
Lower mastering levels/more dynamic range?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »
More instrumental music: I think the current amount of instrumental stuff is pretty high already
Shorter album: No need
More positive, happy, and energetic-sounding music: No thanks, DT's music has always been pretty uplifting compared to most metal bands
An outside producer: Dunno, it could be interesting but I don't think it's necessary
More bass (solos, overall busyness, mix): Yes, JM did step up a lot on ADTOE but it'd be nice to hear him get even more space
A long epic: No thanks, I find the song lengths on ADTOE good and besides, these overlong epics on the last albums with MP weren't on par with A Change of Seasons and included some pointless sections. But if they manage to write a long epic that flows well and doesn't get boring at any point, it's more than welcome
More metal/prog: No, IMO the balance of styles on ADTOE is perfect and they should keep it that way
Mangini involved in songwriting: Yes, it'd be nice to hear some input from him too
Older sound: Don't know what this exactly means, IMO ADTOE sounds more like classic DT than any other DT album in the new millennium (pun intended)
Demo-ing of songs before entering studio: YES, I'd like to see them do this!
More high notes from JLB: If they fit the songs and he can perform them live without struggling, then I'm ok with it

Offline Omega

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
You know, I've been thinking about this and I've come to the conclusion that what I truly want for the next DT album is for them to record it / compose it with an orchestra ala Octavarium.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
In regard to MM writing, I'm all for him writing his drum parts, but as I'm not aware of him writing any music who knows if he has any skill in this regard?

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
A 45 min apocolyptic EPIC.  Then another mix songs 10 + minutes just like with SDOIT.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 06:17:50 AM »
Next DT album? I hope it's a live album from this tour...

Oh, you meant the next DT studio album! I'd like to be surprised with something really original and different that sounds like nothing I've ever heard before.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:19 AM »
Outside producer, Mangini involved in songwriting, demoing before entering the studio.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 07:07:39 AM »
I hope for an album of the creativity of ADTOE and to never have to listen to a some that is longer than 14 minutes ever again.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline John94

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
I voted for
- Mangini involved in songwriting
- A long epic
- More JLB high notes

I would also like
- Concept album
- 5.1 Surround sound mix. (or just Steven Wilson to mix, hint hint JR)

Offline Millais

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

To the OT, I agree with--

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
Outside producer, Mangini involved in songwriting, demoing before entering the studio.
Add more happy shiny people holding hands songs and we're good.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
JM solo and an instrumental..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Hayden

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »
What I would really like to hear on the next Dream Theater album would be a higher number of Deep Purple-y riffs. Earlier in the band's career, I felt there was a strong, evident Deep Purple influence in their music. DP's sound could be heard in a number of riffs scattered throughout DT'S songs. The main riff of "Ytse Jam", for example, has a really pronounce DP vibe. Many of the riffs, and much of the soloing in "A Change of Seasons" were reminiscent of DP. Even parts of, say, "Scarred" (2:10-2:26) sounded like a really dark version of DP. But where it's heard most prominently is easily on the second half of "Beyond This Life"; the four consecutive riffs from 6:27-10:06 just sound like they were written by a more modern incarnation of DP - particularly the riffs at 7:10 and 9:25, which just scream Deep Purple at me.

Unfortunately, despite being the climax of that particular sound, "Beyond This Life" was the last hurrah for that side of the band's music. That style of riffing has since disappeared from DT's music somewhat, only occasionally re-appearing one some tracks here-and-there, whereas, before, it was everywhere.

What I liked about that particular brand of riff was that it blended fun, cheek and sophistication so effectively. And what was so special about DT's take on that sort of riffing was that they were also able to put a dark, eerie twist on it as well (when they wanted to), or were able to enhance it with some technicality. The use of that riff style was a really valuable aspect of DT's music, and it added a lot of flavour to their songs whenever it was present.

Now, I'm not devastated that the Deep Purple influence has subsided, because the band have compensated by improving their sound in other areas. The focus has merely shifted in terms of DT's songwriting. But, what I'd like to see in DT's next album is a return to that style. I'd like them to re-incorporate that method of riff-writing, and once again work that sound into their music, because it was exciting, bombastic and memorable.

The albums from 'Six Degrees...' to 'Black Clouds & Silver Linings' were stellar albums, and we superb blends of modern rock, metal, and progressive music, and 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' was the band's melodic high-point, and a terrific album all-round. But I miss the DP brand of classic rock that once filled DT's sound. And it's not as though the band is incapable of making a return to that sound. 2:02 of "Stream of Consciousness", 4:03 of "Constant Motion", 9:00 of "A Nightmare to Remember", and, most recently, 3:39 of "Breaking All Illusions" - these are all examples of how Dream Theater are still able to pen riffs like these, so it won't be a stretch for them to return to that sound. It won't be overly challenging, and it won't be forced either; it's just a matter of putting a Deep Purple disc back in inspiration corner.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
What I'd like to see in the new album:

More instrumentals: I assume this means instrumental songs, not "middle section" instrumental breaks. Something along the lines of Erotomania would be cool.

Happier more positive songs: I miss songs like Surrounded. Songs that when I first put them on, I got the grins and really excited about. ADTOE had a few of those, but nothing has got me grinning like Surrounded and maybe the beginning of About to Crash reprise.

Mangini involved in the writing: I can't wait to hear what he brings to the table.

And one other that hasn't been suggested yet: MORE COWBELL

:rollin

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
(or just Steven Wilson to mix, hint hint JR)

Eeehhhhh....

His mix for The Incident was a disaster.

Bring Andy Wallace back.  It's been months, and I still notice things about the mix on ADTOE that are really satisfying.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:05:33 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline PS Head

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
More instrumental music
A long epic
More Prog
Mangini involved in the songwriting

Ditto.....although if album twelve followed the same path as ADTOE, i would be MORE than happy. ;)

Offline ronrule

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »
I'd like less of JLB writing vocal melodies. Based on his solo albums and the melodies in ADTOE (which he says he was very involved with) his melody choices just don't do it for me. JP should have this job.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
I'd like to see more music like the intro to "Outcry".

Offline manticore999

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
OMG, please, no more James and high notes!  Even when he was younger he couldn't do it. He resorts to screaming, i can't understand a thing he's saying/singing. It's like nails on a chalkboard.  Keep him in his range and does ok.  I'm still loving adtoe. Especially considering how horrible i thought everything after 6doit was.  They were getting progessively worse!  Now, there's hope.  Just hope the keep gong the way the are, maybe with fewer ballads. 

Offline Leprous

• Especially Special
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2012, 01:31:41 AM »
Would love to see an album backed by an orchestra, or just some french horns and stuff in some tracks. See Haken's Visions as an example of what I mean.

More creativity with instruments, bring back the prog. Mellotron, chapman stick, the affore-mentioned orchestra. Let's get something really bombastic going.

Completely go mad with song structure. Unexpect's Fables of the Sleepless Empire demonstrates what I have in mind perfectly. As good as ADtoE is, it feels very formulaic and "safe". I'd love to see the band just go crazy and try something ridiculous.
Til the moment comes around, like I've been here once before, and I'm questioning the truth, no escaping déjà vu...

Offline tedy

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 02:32:19 AM »
I like the direction of ADTOE, it´s one of my 5 favorite albums
but I would like to see and hear:
- One long song 20+ (like ACOS or Octavarium)
- Mangini involved in the writing proces
- Myung writing more lyrics
- Instrumental, very atmospheric and progy,
  with heavy metal parts and Mangini going crazy  :omg:  :metal
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:38:55 AM by tedy »

Offline Art

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »
an outsider producer AND for them to get as experimental as they can. go fucking crazy

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 01:52:06 AM »
More instrumental music
Mike Portnoy back

:lol

I'm sorry. I agree.
I half expected that from someone with a Metallica avatar. hahaha.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 02:36:57 AM »
An outside producer.
More bass (solos, overall busyness, mix)
Mangini involved in songwriting.
Demo-ing of songs before entering studio.

About the bass, I don't really know about busyness though. Depends on what your definition is. If busyness is playing fast, hell no. Take a song like Bridges In The Sky, the riffs are just way too fast to make them sound good on a bass, it honestly sounds really, really bad (no matter who's playing). If/when not following fast guitar riffs like that he should be a bit louder in the mix in general.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.