Author Topic: The Official DTF World of Warcraft Thread V. Blackwing Lair  (Read 104247 times)

Kosmo

Re: The Official DTF World of Warcraft Thread V. Blackwing Lair
« Reply #1400 on: January 26, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »
Rogue with legendary daggers and vial = fun times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_4K0HR6LlU&feature=player_embedded

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1401 on: February 18, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »
Bump.

Since the last time I posted, I inherited a guild from the previous guild master, who was standing in for the original guild master, who in all honesty seems to have given up on the game. (Technically I'm the interim guild master, supposedly holding on to the guild for the original one. As she's logged on once in 2012 and was away for nine of twelve months in 2010, I'm pretty sure her interest has waned.) And let me tell you something, running a guild is a DAMN sight harder than I thought it was from the outside looking in.

My chief problem is I'm having a bit of a power struggle with my raid leader. My raid leader thinks that because he's in charge of the raid during the raid, he's in charge of all aspects of the guild relating to raiding. Who goes to the raid, who doesn't, recruitment, even the guild raid direction is not something that in his mind is discussed with the other officers, let alone the GM. We're a 10 man guild, and have pretty much always been, and I am constantly struggling against him trying to start 25 man raids that we simply can't sustain.

Things came to a head last week when we were working on Warmaster Blackhorn. Two healed the fight, so the raid leader's shaman was DPS. And since a lot of his gear was 353s, his DPS was lacking. My main tank pointed out after a wipe that the RL's shaman had won a LOT of OS 378s in Firelands, why wasn't he wearing them? The RL's answer was he didn't want to pay for gems and enchants.

Across two toons, my RL is worth something on the order of 300K gold.

Now, we expect when you come to the raid, you be prepared for everything. Enchant your gear, gem it-I don't expect your off-spec to be in top of the line enchants, but by god, if we need it, be ready. Annoyed, I told him to go enchant and gem his 378s and stop fooling around. He spent 2000g on this, grumbling all the way, and then finally said this:

"I can't believe I have to do this to be in MY raid."

"Excuse me?" I said. "This is the GUILD'S raid. You just lead it."

This guy sat on a 397 belt for three weeks waiting for someone to cut him a gem, AFTER I gave him a belt buckle. Last night he benched a DPS who had been out of town for one weekend for being away from the game, and invited instead a DPS that had missed three of the previous four weeks, and left ME to explain it to them. (The fact that it was my ex-girlfriend made it only slightly more perilous.) When I told him I was recruiting back up tanks, because we have one that is fourteen fucking years old and is easily distracted, he told me that having more than two meant one wouldn't be able to go every week.

Is it me, or do I need a new raid leader?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: February 18, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
A raid leader who doesn't follow the first rule of raiding (i.e. be prepared with gems and chants) and has an obvious superiority complex and attitude problem?

Time for a gkick! Seriously, do it and don't feel bad about it. You shouldn't have to put up with that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1403 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
My solution last night was more elegant than booting him.

Working on Spine of Deathwing, without him realizing it, we were using my strategy and I was calling out virtually everything, while I let him do a few minor things that FELT like raid leading. In effect, I replaced him myself, mid-raid, and he has NO idea he's been replaced.

I manage multi-million dollar construction projects. I can manage one kid with a superiority complex. And the BEST part is, I don't think the RAID realizes what I did, so when things go wrong, they blame him.

Oh yeah, I'm good.  :biggrin:
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: February 19, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
I wonder how long that will last before he catches on? Surely he's not that dense.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1405 on: February 19, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
It's not a question of whether or not he's dense. The trick is letting him think he's still in charge by letting him call out the incidental things during a fight, because my developing of the strategy is done as suggestions. I have an advantage in Dragon Soul because I know the basics of the fights from the training wheels versions of LFR, whereas my raid leader hasn't run LFR since the first weeks, so my base knowledge is higher than his.

All I have to do is allow him the ILLUSION of control. And it doesn't hurt that, privately, a lot of the guild has expressed to me that I should raid lead anyway. And if he does realize what happened, well, I'll need to recruit a healer. This way everyone wins.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: February 19, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
Do whatcha gotta do.