Author Topic: Burglar turns himself in to help catch a Pedophile  (Read 7964 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Burglar turns himself in to help catch a Pedophile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
As wrong as CP is, I think the vast majority of it is really just pictures of naked children. I think it's hard to argue that the children involved will carry away such a trauma that murder, overall, is a lesser crime.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
Think about it this way.  Most people have thought to themselves "I'd love to kill that son of a bitch."  Even if they don't entirely mean it (because otherwise, they would have done it).  No one other than a pedophile has even thought about bending over little Timmy.

Murder is more... normal.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »
Interesting point because that's completely true.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »
Think about it this way.  Most people have thought to themselves "I'd love to kill that son of a bitch."  Even if they don't entirely mean it (because otherwise, they would have done it).  No one other than a pedophile has even thought about bending over little Timmy.

Murder is more... normal.

That's a good point, and I do understand it on that level. It's just one of those dichotomies where reason (which should be source of court judgment in the end) strongly deviates from gut reaction.
EDIT: Another factor in it is also that we, as a society, have the responsibility to care for our children, whereas we don't for the general public so much. So, when a child gets harmed it is a direct affront to something in our care, whereas a random murder affects a person we, by default, don't even care about.

rumborak

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2012, 12:43:49 PM »
I will sum up Cole's argument for everyone: "THERE ARE PEOPLE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST, WHO CARES ABOUT CHILDREN BEING MOLESTED AND EXPLOITED FOR SEX"

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
How about we (try to, at least) reform the ones who've just looked at CP, and punish the ones who committed molestation?

Offline jsem

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »
That was a noble act.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
I'm not sure how much "reformation" one can do with a CP consumer. I would view it at the same level as being gay; it's just something you're attracted to by your nature. I think the sensible thing to do would be to keep them from consuming it, not keep them from wanting to do so.

rumborak

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I'm not sure how much "reformation" one can do with a CP consumer. I would view it at the same level as being gay; it's just something you're attracted to by your nature. I think the sensible thing to do would be to keep them from consuming it, not keep them from wanting to do so.

rumborak

You sure it's not a choice?  :yarr (I am completely kidding)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
:|
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejD1Gml-ZGc
I don't know how many of y'all got to see this live,  but we stopped work and gathered in the breakroom to watch the whole thing go down.  Personally,  I was fucking enthralled.  I'm pretty sure the guy who got shot in the spine would prefer that his public maiming weren't available for anybody with a morbid interest to watch at their leisure,  yet it's a highlight of all the various pseudo-documentaries the cable networks have created on the matter.  If some weird fuck likes to beat his meat watching this whole thing go down,  I'd certainly look strangely upon his interests, but I wouldn't be rooting for him to spend 30 years getting raped by murders and thugs.

As I've said in the past,  people should be reserving their venom for the people who harm others,  be it children, adults or Irish Setters,  not the weirdos who are merely interested in it.  It's really not that hard to separate the monsters from the creepy.

Wait, what is it exactly we're watching here?
A video of countless violent felonies that destroyed dozens of lives.  Since this was merely violence,  and not The S Word!,  it's grist for America's TV culture.  Compare this to the webcam of some horny 16 year old rubbing one out for the benefit of a bunch of strangers.  One's a vicious and harmful act and it's prime time entertainment,  while the others strictly volluntary, harmless, and federal prison time for anybody who watches it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2012, 04:46:27 AM »
I will sum up Cole's argument for everyone: "THERE ARE PEOPLE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST, WHO CARES ABOUT CHILDREN BEING MOLESTED AND EXPLOITED FOR SEX"
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.